Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

2 questions for you guys:

1. I'm waiting to get paperwork back from MEPS for the Army, but I'm trying to start getting in better shape and stuff already. I run 3+ miles a couple times a week, ride my bike, and go to the gym. Instead of doing weights, would something like P90X help me out for basic more? I'm friends with a lady at work and her husband was an Army Master Fitness instructor, and he said to reduce weight and start doing more reps to build up your endurance. Is this a good plan, or would something else work better?

2. Can someone walk me through the differences in a day between an officer and an enlisted person? I'm almost done with my degree, so I'm thinking the officer route, but I hear it's just tons of sitting around doing paperwork. Can anyone help me out here? Also, I know there's going to be a ton of funny replies to this question, but a few serious ones would be great, too.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

I posted this in the Army thread, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get as many viewpoints as possible....

Well, as of right now, I'm disqualified from joining the Army, because I have a history of gout. Now, to clear things up, I went to a doc-in-the-box clinic in Texas 7 years ago, and the doctor said I might have gout. I went to my doctor in Kentucky 6 years ago, and I told him what the other doctor said, and he said if I did have gout, that it was because I was morbidly obese (6'3", 370lbs). During the course of the next year, I lost 140 pounds, I go to the gym, and run regularly. Apparently gout isn't waiverable, so my recruiter told me to go to my doctor and get him to write a really detailed letter explaining that I could have possibly been misdiagnosed with gout, and that if I did have it, it was due to being extremely overweight. He also suggested maybe getting my own physical or bloodwork or whatever they do to test for gout done, just to see if it's even an issue.

I really, really, really want this. Can anyone think of ANYTHING else I can do to help my case?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Quarterly Prophet posted:

Seriously. If your recruiter is giving you a tough time and you haven't visited MEPS or anything with him, I recommend just driving to the next town over and talking to their recruiter and lie lie lie*

*Nobody here is saying you should lie.**

**You should lie.

I haven't gone to MEPS yet, this just came from the initial medread. If nothing else, I may just try this.

edit: Just checked, and the MEPS station in my town serves most of the counties in Kentucky, and all of the nearby ones in a neighboring state.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 7, 2010

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Small update: Went to my doctor, and explained to him about the gout issues, and what my recruiter had told me. He gave me a full physical, blood work, etc, and found no gout at all. He thinks I was misdiagnosed by the original clinic doctor, and said he doesn't see any reason why I could not perform any duties the military would have me perform. He's writing a letter stating exactly that, and mailing it to me with a copy of all the blood work and stuff. Anyone think that will have any sway at MEPS?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

kombatMedik posted:

This is from last page, but I just wanted to put out there that if you have a letter stating his opinion, and states that you should be fine for military duty, I don't see why MEPS wouldn't take it. You should be ok. Unless the dude looking over you medical poo poo is in a douchebag mood that day.

Man, I hope so! Now I'm just chomping at the bit waiting for the paperwork to get here in the mail.

Update: Took some copies of the letter and bloodwork to my recruiter today. He said it was a very strong letter, but he still wasn't sure. My doctor stated that there was confusion to my history of gout, that I had a case of hyperuremia due to rapid weight loss, which caused an incident of gout, but that there was no evidence of it being a condition, and no sign of it coming back. He also stated that it's his opinion I could handle the physical activities of the Army with no problems, and that he would even speak to someone at MEPS personally if need be. So, here's hoping!!

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 1, 2010

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

kombatMedik posted:

Good luck to you dude. Your doc saying that you would be fit to perform any military duty is the big part of it all, hopefully MEPS sees fit to agree. Let us know dude.

Most definitely! Everyone I've asked questions to here has been totally awesome. My recruiter said the MEPS doctor is pretty understanding about stuff, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, he said they probably won't hear anything back until Thursday or Friday next week. The waiting is gonna be brutal.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

More questions for you guys!

1. I've been told that if my waiver comes back denied again, I can appeal it and go higher up the chain. Is this true? If so, how would I go about it?

2. My uncle used to be in the Air Force, and I was telling him about my recruiter, and he thinks I should go to another one. When I gave my recruiter the letter from my doc, I told him any recruiter magic he could work would be appreciated, and he said, "Well, it's not like I can just call down to MEPS and say anything about anything. It won't matter." My uncle says that's bullshit, and that recruiters do stuff like that all the time. He says it sounds like my recruiter just doesn't want to mess with it since I was disqualified once. Any opinions on this?

3. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to try the Navy. There are totally separate medical personnel that look at paperwork between the branches. If I fill out new paperwork and just leave out that I used to have gout, would that matter? Or will it just pull up my Army paperwork when they type in my name or social security number or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

So is being a civilian police officer on a military base like being a police officer anywhere else? Or is it more along the lines of doing stuff that I hear MPs have to do, like check IDs at the gate all day? How are civilian LEOs on bases viewed by all the military folks?

• Locked thread