Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Busket_in_Posket posted:

What are the worst reasons to join the military?

Got nothing better to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Got a quick question-

A friend of my sister is enlisting Active Army. He screwed up a little bit in the past, and had to sign a moral waiver in order to enlist. (He was arrested for Criminal Mischief and Breach of Peace). The recruiter called him today, and told him that since he signed a moral waiver, he now only has a 7 day window to enlist.

I've never heard of anything like this, and it smells of recruiter bullshit. Anyone hear anything like this?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hagetaka posted:

Horseshit. I could see it delaying someone for the waiver to go through, but a window closing? Yeah, recruiter bullshit.

i figured as much, I've told him before to go to a different recruiter, this doesn't surprise me. He's got the waiver, so I'd assume he could go to someone else no problem. Or at least threaten it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

JH Pufnstuf posted:

If I can only run a 19:00 2-mile right now should I wait to enlist when I am capable of running a sub-9:00 mile? How strict are they about the 8:54 requirement at MEPS?

what branch? I'd assume Army from the 2 miles...

They don't do it at MEPS, as far as I know. You go to MEPS, do your poo poo, then go to basic. For the first 10-14 days you spend it getting your gear, filling out your paperwork, hating your life, and doing the initial entry APFT.

They were very strict about the run time when I went through, they forced a guy to go to fat camp because he missed the cutoff time by 3 seconds. He passed it the next time he took it though, so no biggie.

Just keep running, you'll get there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Iron Squid posted:

Would a 68W most likely walk along side combat troops, or am I in a lovely little post in some Southern town telling recruits to spread 'em?

Either or, man. You can be running along with 11B's, being a heart breaker/life taker, or you can be chillin with the sick call rangers, shoving motrin down their throats and counting tongue depressors.

It's really all depending on where you go, and which company you get put into.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The Antipop posted:

Can I join as a 67B with only an undergraduate degree in the field, or do I need a graduate degree? And do you join without attending boot camp? That just seems like a rip off. I'd feel like I was missing something...

nope, no basic for doctors, so I'd imagine it'd be the same for nurses/lab officers.

Sucks you need a MS to get in. Have you started at all? Are you close to finishing? Because if so, it'd be an awesome thing for your resume when you got out. If you got out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GreenMeat posted:

Not always. I have herniated discs and sciatica, and I told the doc I had occasional trouble sleeping due to the pain. He wrote me a one-month scrip for 90 Percocets along with 60 Flexeril and 90 Motrin. I really didn't expect to get so much medicine.

Jesus. who'd you have to blow for that?

I'll second QP's point, and say that Motrin is pretty much the best thing you'll probably get for a non-urgent injury. We used to carry massive bags of it with us on patrols, and hand them out like candy for any aches/pains/sprains etc.

It's tough to be prescribed any sort of opiate in the military. They really keep that stuff on a short leash.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

or you just not mention it at MEPS in the first place. What is happening to my military nowadays. Back in the day we were encouraged by our recruiters to lie

"No sir, I have never smoked marajuana. Ever."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Quarterly Prophet posted:

**You should lie.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

my recruiter taught me that answering YES to the medical personel in a simple way

Your Enlistment Stops

while

New Opportunities

but slippery is going to cme in with some gay poo poo now

This is the greatest thing I've heard in months. ooorah.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm leaving for OSUT in about three weeks to Fort Leonard Wood, 31B. I have the list they gave me on what I can and can't bring, but I'd like to see if there was anything some experienced folks could tell me to pack, things they'd wish they brought they could have etc. Even just advice in general for OSUT.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bring the clothes on your back, a change of clothes, your toiletries, and that's it. Seriously. Maybe bring a hoodie/sweatshirt in case it gets chilly. Anything else you bring will be locked up for the duration of your stay there.
I was at FLW in 2003 for basic, but from Jan-Mar. Cold as hell, and windy. The courses were pretty well built though, I had a lot of fun on them.
Best advice I could give you is to be where you have to be, when you have to be, with what you need to bring. That's 75% of basic. Have fun with the MP training, there should be some fun stuff there.
A good thing to do now would be to start learning your ranks, army creed, stuff like that. You'll get a "Smart Book" when you get there, but it'll put you a step ahead when you get there.
Oh- don't lose it in Reception. You'll be stuck there for a while before you go to your training company. It's nothing to lose your mind over. Just a lot of waiting in line, and maybe getting smoked a little bit. You'll go a little crazy, just waiting for basic to start, just chill out.
How long is the MP OSUT anyways? Just curious. I know FLW does OSUT for MP's and Chemical people.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, Missouri is the worst. Winters were frigid as gently caress, they had us running up and down the stairs for pt in the barracks somedays because our normal route was too icy. Fun times.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

peniscurve posted:

Until you get hit with a blizzard...

The winter I was there was supposedly the worst they had in decades, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm used to snow and ice, so the only time it sucked for me was during white phase (spending every day freezing my rear end off) and my final roadmarch that started off freezing, so being a smart E-1 I wore my polypros for it. Come 11 am, I had the worst case of monkeybutt I ever experienced. And we had 16 miles to go. :(

You should be fine though. It should cool down by the time you go there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Small update: Went to my doctor, and explained to him about the gout issues, and what my recruiter had told me. He gave me a full physical, blood work, etc, and found no gout at all. He thinks I was misdiagnosed by the original clinic doctor, and said he doesn't see any reason why I could not perform any duties the military would have me perform. He's writing a letter stating exactly that, and mailing it to me with a copy of all the blood work and stuff. Anyone think that will have any sway at MEPS?

This is from last page, but I just wanted to put out there that if you have a letter stating his opinion, and states that you should be fine for military duty, I don't see why MEPS wouldn't take it. You should be ok. Unless the dude looking over you medical poo poo is in a douchebag mood that day.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Man, I hope so! Now I'm just chomping at the bit waiting for the paperwork to get here in the mail.

Update: Took some copies of the letter and bloodwork to my recruiter today. He said it was a very strong letter, but he still wasn't sure. My doctor stated that there was confusion to my history of gout, that I had a case of hyperuremia due to rapid weight loss, which caused an incident of gout, but that there was no evidence of it being a condition, and no sign of it coming back. He also stated that it's his opinion I could handle the physical activities of the Army with no problems, and that he would even speak to someone at MEPS personally if need be. So, here's hoping!!

Good luck to you dude. Your doc saying that you would be fit to perform any military duty is the big part of it all, hopefully MEPS sees fit to agree. Let us know dude.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Quarterly Prophet posted:

you must be new here too :(

FINE FINE A QUICK QUESTION YOU SAY

How many people around here go by first names in their shop? I make it an effort to use first names.

We had an O2 go around calling everyone by their first name, but he insisted we call him "sir". Fuckin Louie.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Generally speaking if you're going to pop hot you should tell your recruiter. The ones at my station always asked you if there 'might be' 'some reason' why you wouldn't want to take the drug test anytime soon, quite a few kids fell into the 'er, yeah...probably wait a couple weeks' category.

I was one of these. He just laughed, and scheduled me to go a few weeks later. It was right after 9/11, so they pretty much took anyone at that point.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Anyone have any inside info on this? Looks like the Army is trying to be cool like the Navy and relieve a Commander.

http://www.military.com/news/article/army-relieves-172nd-infantry-brigade-commander.html?ESRC=army-a.nl

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Veins McGee posted:

Is there any point in going to the VA for anxiety?

Absolutely.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Veins McGee posted:

Is there any point in going to the VA for anxiety treatment? From what I've read, the side effects of anti-anxiety meds is worse than the anxiety itself and I don't feel like driving to a VA hospital for counseling or whatever. Anyone have any experience with this?

Ahh, you edited it.

It really depends on what they give you, if they do give you meds. I'd say just go for a consult just to see what they say. If the anxiety is bothering you enough to post on here about it, I'd say its worth it. It's not going to cost you anything outside of gas.

Sometimes the medicine can screw you up a little, but the docs will work with you and try out other stuff that can work to help the anxiety. I don't have personal experience with it myself, but I do have friends that take meds and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to find a perscription that works.

Just give it a shot, and see what happens man.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Honestly, I would call their office.

http://lugar.senate.gov/contact/ has numbers on the bottom. I had a buddy call Rep. John Larson (CT) and they got back to him within a week, it's much better to call than to write/email.

If this is about the bullshit that got pulled on you, then good luck dude. Hope they can do something for you.

You might have better luck with calling someone on the Armed Forces Committee in the House. For Indiana, that would be Todd Young. His info is:

1721 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-5315
Fax: (202) 226-6866

You won't talk to him, but someone on his staff. Seriously though, give him a call.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Veins McGee posted:

Call the unit and ask.

Also take into consideration that no one knows anything in the Guard and everyone is full of poo poo.

You'll know that you're deploying when your boots are on the sand.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

old dog child posted:

I'll call the unit up, I didn't even think about that.

kombatMedik: The only reason I thought it was plausible was because the SFC confirmed what I heard. I'll take that into consideration for future reference though.

No, sorry if I sounded like a douche there. Everyone knows someone who saw our company on some sheet somewhere with some date before our deployment, and seriously it just got to the point where none of us gave a gently caress anymore, we just figured it would happen when it happens. You'll go nuts trying to figure out whats true and whats not. Just get prepared to go, and live your life normally. They'll let you know when they want you to do something.

Edit: If your unit gets new supplies all of a sudden, pack your bags. We got a brand new LMTZ painted DCU colors one January. That September, we were mobilizing.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Raged posted:

Just wondering if anyone else who receives benefits from the VA has not received this months(March) direct deposit? It always show up on time to the minute in my account but nothing there now.

I thought I would ask here but seeing as I live in Australia and it is a huge pain in the rear end I would check here first.

Got my disability man, all seems fine to me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

True operators in Iraq drank:

Fuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk now I'm loving fiending

Every wakeup for me in iraq was pop in a lipper, down a wild tiger, and smoke a cigarette

poo poo was glorious

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Like I said in the Navy thread, I had to get the big toenail on my right foot removed yesterday due to knicking it halfway off putting my boot on yesterday morning.

Any words of wisdom from the GiP contingent?

I had to get my big toenail cut off before a surgery to get a bone spur out. (It was poking out of my skin, and the nail was growing around it, loving nasty.) Best advice I would give you is to keep it clean, maybe put some gauze around it daily to protect your toe, and when you don't need to wear boots let it get some air. It'll take a month or two to grow back completely.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GreenMeat posted:

My honeymoon was basically road head en route to the airport.

This should be the next monthly Army thread title.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I did the exact same thing with a cc feeder program. Do yourself a favor, and ask other students who have done the same program as you're doing, and find out which courses to take where. For example, the biology class at my CC was known for being a hard as hell course for a 101 class, but the one at my state university was known as "Football bio"= show up and stay awake, and you'll get at least a B.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

If you have the opportunity to go, it'd be silly not to honestly. If I had the chance I would've certainly gone, even after dealing with 18th and 101st Airborne and hating the gently caress out of them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mr_Ruckus posted:

What's a good website to order embroidered cat eyes from?

Like a helmet band? Ranger Joe's has them for less than 5 bucks each.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ziji posted:

Can someone explain how the cross training (I think that's the correct term) really works? My recruiter gave me a huge speech about how if I didn't like my job, I could switch to a new one if a slot ever opened later on. How likely is this to actually happen though? Is it pretty common or is it a BS program that only very few lucky people get to use?

hahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

:mil101: When you enlist, sign up for what you want NOW, now what you can MAYBE get when you get in.

It's not unheard of, but when it comes to your military career, always plan on getting hosed. Hard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Godholio posted:

Whoever has held that rank longer is technically senior. If that's the same I think it goes to whoever's been in longer.

I've told this here before, but we had E-5's who would pull rank on each other based on when they were pinned. A bunch were pinned on the same day, but they did them alphabetically, so they had literally 1-2 more minutes of TIG than the people whose last name was after theirs. It was incredible.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I'm glad someone went far, far more tangent with that question than I ever would. loving work of art.

Shared it with the PYF quote thread, because god drat.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I've got my grandfather's Draft Report notice, and he was sent to the local Armory to be shipped out for Basic at Fort Devens, before he was stationed as a quartermaster in France. I scanned it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nwin posted:

How did you only last 8 months? DUI or something?

Seriously, not trying to be a dick or anything, but what happened?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

That sucks, sorry man.

If you get 50% of Post-9/11 that's still a pretty good deal. I can't imagine what else you'd get, except for possibly a short amount of time of medical/dental coverage?

At least it's honorable, at least you get Post 9/11.

edit?

holocaust bloopers posted:

So you got paid for 8 months, left with 50% GI Bill?

That's a legit good deal.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

You're leaving the military with more than you gave.

You win. Now live the rest of your life without this bullshit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Chemystery posted:

Currently studying for MCAT and will be applying to D.O. and M.D. and Physician Assistant programs.

This is an infinitely better thing to do with your life. The Post 9/11 will be a huge help to this as well. You got the best part of the deal, take it and run man.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Chemystery posted:

I figured I got the best end of the bargain. My friend from OCS ( a prior enlisted MM(N)2 told me I was getting away with murder with my honorable discharge and benefits). Well, either way, thank you guys for the information. If anyone is curious as to the details I would be happy to share the specifics. I guess you all know that I am a noble. Thank you enlisted dudes for your service. You guys have it tougher and frankly, I have nothing but utmost respect for junior enlisted. The poo poo that rolled downhill stopped with them.

Details would be good, just to have here in case it happens to someone else in the future. (With the draw down, it sound inevitable)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Harmburger posted:

I'm moving in a few weeks, and my buddy who was living with another dude was going to move in with me. He thought he could get out of his lease, because his current roommate got orders away. His landlord is trying to say that my friend cannot get out of the lease and instead will be paying double his old rent. Anything to do in this situation but lube up?

Call a lawyer? Is your buddy enlisted?

• Locked thread