Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«50 »
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ready to rape and pillage at the drop of a buckled hat

I finally got around to this thread. I had to purposefully leave it alone for a few days so that I wouldn't get horribly bogged down in it.

AWESOME OP. Goddamn, we need more threads like this.

Also, where the Nazi Hi Powers at? I know we have some people in here who have them, and I want to see WaAs on BHPs, goddamnit!

Now that I'm starting to get more into German pistols, a Nazi proofed BHP is probably going to be on my list sometime in the near-ish future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I know what you want. I know what you need.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Full detail-strip guide is coming soon, but here's the relevant mag-disconnect portion:

HOW TO REMOVE THAT GODDAMNED THING

1. Unload and field-strip the gun. Unload it again, then unload it after you unload it. If you have any time left over, consider unloading the gun once more.

2. Remove the grip panels and place the frame on two wooden blocks, with the right side facing up* and the trigger pin over the space in between.
*(One end of the trigger pin is rounded, this is the end you want to hit to drive it out. I'm assuming all HPs have the pin set up this way)

3. Use a hammer & punch to drive out the trigger pin. This can require a good deal of force, so don't be afraid to smack that motherfucker. If it won't budge, try applying some penetrating oil and letting it sit for a day.

4. With the trigger pin removed, you can pull the trigger assembly out through the trigger guard. The mag disconnect pin is located at the rear of the trigger.

5. Drill a hole in a small block of wood; place the mag disconnect pin over the hole and drive it out. The disconnect & spring will pop out, so be careful. Place the now-useless appendage in the jar with your tonsils for sentimental reflection, or just throw that poo poo in the trash.
(Note: Disconnect is not pictured since I removed it years ago and promptly threw that poo poo in the trash)

Reassembling the trigger can be a bit trickier:

1. Set the cam post (the vertical thing that fits in the back of the trigger) aside, and insert the trigger in the frame through the trigger guard.

2. Slide the trigger back toward the grip as far as it will go - you should be able to see it poking out in the mag well:

3. Pull the long back end of the trigger return spring upwards as far as possble, but not so much as to bend it. Slip the cam post into position and press the spring back down.

4. Shift the trigger assembly back into position and hold it in place by sticking an appropriately-sized punch through the hole. Chuckle at the possible innuendo while you make sure everything moves as it should - the trigger should have a slight bit of resistance from the spring, the cam should move up & down easily.

5. Drive the trigger pin back into place (rounded end first) and then drive yourself to get a tasty milkshake.

6. Drink milkshake.

On my way to get a tasty milkshake.

charlie murphy
Dec 31, 2006

lifenomad posted:

I'm digging those VZ grips, looks sharp.

I highly recommend them. They add a nice modern look to the gun.

edit* I found that after I removed the magazine safety, I had to put in a new trigger return spring to get a crisp trigger return. The spring isn't that expensive, but it has three coils instead of the two coils on the stock spring. The wider spring makes it slightly difficult to get into position. I think I had to use a hammer and a punch to force it in place. Overall its a much better shooting gun than before, but I wouldn't say the differences are day and night.

charlie murphy fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2010 around 20:58

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

mikerock posted:

On my way to get a tasty milkshake.
Don't forget step 6!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Uncle Caveman posted:

Don't forget step 6!

The Milkshake store was out of milkshakes, so I had a beer instead.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also, where the Nazi Hi Powers at? I know we have some people in here who have them, and I want to see WaAs on BHPs, goddamnit!

Now that I'm starting to get more into German pistols, a Nazi proofed BHP is probably going to be on my list sometime in the near-ish future.

There's one in our family, I'll get some pics up. It's a nice looking piece. And for your collection it's a no-brainer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gauss posted:

There's one in our family, I'll get some pics up. It's a nice looking piece. And for your collection it's a no-brainer.

Eh, there's a few Mauser pistols I'm also looking for. Really it all depends on when I see things priced right.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

mikerock posted:

The Milkshake store was out of milkshakes
What the gently caress that's like going to a mattress store and saying "I would like to buy a mattress" and them saying "sorry we are all out of mattresses."

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

still trying to find some punches with good reviews... I want a milkshake ><

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

I would put mine up but my Canon took a poo poo and my droid wont do it justice.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Wendigee posted:

still trying to find some punches with good reviews...
I've been happy with this set I found at the hardware store. Nothing fancy, but they haven't chipped or mushroomed yet.

Try to get several of the really small ones (1/16", etc) though... no matter how good, you'll eventually bend them.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I took my gun shooting on saturday... 3rd round into the magazine I got a failure to return to battery.

Didn't know what the gently caress. Looked in the slide, and there was still a spent shell casing 90% in the chamber. I emptied the loads and tried to drop the slide on it to see if I could get the ejector to hook on the lip and pull it out. No luck.

I pulled out the slide stop and proceeded to try to field strip it, thinking i could pull the shell out with my fingers. Unable to pull the slide off forward, I finally pull the slide back and let go thinking this will surely work.

Since there was no slide stop in it, the slide shot about 8 feet into the range. I had to go get an employee and call a stop for him to go and get it for me.

Thankfully I was the only one shooting at the time, so it wasn't a huge deal. Last week I dropped my targets over the table and had to call a stop to go get those as well.

I wonder if the range workers hate me yet.

(I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the case out once I got home. I dunno wtf but I couldn't get it out with my hands.)

Wendigee fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2010 around 04:02

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, there's a few Mauser pistols I'm also looking for. Really it all depends on when I see things priced right.

Oh that's right, S/42 uber alles. What are you looking to pick up? (feel free to post it over in the milsurp thread if you don't want to derail, somehow I believe the interested parties will follow)

As for my Argentine FM-90, I'm still waiting on the rosewood Hogues. Will post pics when I get 'em.

In the meantime I feel very comfortable thumbing back the hammer now, which I didn't think would happen so fast, but it's an easy pistol to get comfortable with.

charlie murphy
Dec 31, 2006

if you have an older HP you WILL bend and break punches trying to get the goddamn mag safety pin out. soak the whole trigger assembly in oil first. that seems to help.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

The pins in my FM 90 popped right out with a few light whacks from my Estwing. I got my punches in a set at Home Depot for $7.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wendigee posted:

still trying to find some punches with good reviews... I want a milkshake ><

You're way, WAY over thinking this. They're punches. This is like looking for a good review of a hammer.

If the punch chips or mushrooms it's doing its job and getting damaged before the part you're working on. Good punches are actually purposefully made with soft-ish metal so that they give before the part you're working with.

If the punch mushrooms out, just get a dremel or sandpaper or a grinding wheel or something and knock that down a bit. If it chips do the same thing, but just grind the tip down and flat so the chip goes away. If it snaps buy another punch - a full set is only about $10. Do enough work and you WILL break punches.

Also, Gauss, answering in Milsurp thread, although one of the guns I'm looking for is a Nazi BHP.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You make a lot of sense mister.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wendigee posted:

You make a lot of sense mister.

If yo're super-duper worried about even the possibility of marring your finish, just order brass punches online. Me, I still use a lovely set of steel punches for everything and I've never damaged anything. THat said, when working on really sensitive stuff I do put a layer of electrical tape over the ends.

I think they might also make them out of nylon or some other hard plastic.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I was one of the people who used to have a Nazi HP. I ended up trading it in the transaction for my Inglis, because the Nazi was beat to poo poo and the Inglis is immaculate. I have my eyes out for an early-type P.640(b) now.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I too traded my P35 for an Inglis HP

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mikerock posted:

I too traded my P35 for an Inglis HP

That's one more high five I owe you in real life.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hell yeah. Should have the stock for it by the end of summer.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mikerock posted:

Hell yeah. Should have the stock for it by the end of summer.

I'm looking for one for the Finn. In my understanding, the FN stock slot and Inglis stock slot are different, so I can't use Inglis stocks. Have you heard anything about that?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

Talk about puns like I ain't got none, what you think I told 'em all?

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm looking for one for the Finn. In my understanding, the FN stock slot and Inglis stock slot are different, so I can't use Inglis stocks. Have you heard anything about that?

I've heard this but set little stock by it--mostly because I'm too lazy to shoulder the burden of research.

El Jorge
Feb 26, 2006

A spiritus dominatus,
Domine, libra nos,
From the lighting and the tempest,
Our Emperor, deliver us.

A morte perpetua,
Domine, libra nos.

This thread is the best thing to grace TFR's hallowed shores in a while. Before I make a huuuuuuuuge post, does anyone know where I can find a Hi Power trigger or two for under 50-60 dollars? There is something I want to try but I dont want to spend that much.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Cyrano4747 posted:

If the punch mushrooms out, just get a dremel or sandpaper or a grinding wheel or something and knock that down a bit. If it chips do the same thing, but just grind the tip down and flat so the chip goes away. If it snaps buy another punch - a full set is only about $10. Do enough work and you WILL break punches.

I broke 4 punches and 2 drill bits (one titanium) trying to get the drat extractor pin out of my Hi-Power. Ended up having to use a vice to press it out and even that bent the (broken) drill bit. Of coarse it went back in with the lightest push.

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

I need some help TFR before I end up in PMITA prison. without saying too much, since I don't know the laws on discussing this sort of thing...long story short, my FM Hi Power is malfunctioning. it doesn't do it every time, but it did malfunction twice within two mags/two shooters on Saturday. what could be causing it?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Slamfiring?

Have you detail-cleaned* it? My first guess would be gunky build-up preventing the firing pin from fully retracting. My FM was filthy as hell when I first got it.

* And this reminds me that I'm waaaay delinquent on that detail-strip guide I promised. I'll get it posted by tonight.

e: Here's how to check the firing pin:

Just press down on the back of the pin with a punch and slide the retaining plate downward. Keep your finger over the pin, since it'll want to fly out.

I'm not sure if any FMs have the Mk3 firing pin block - maybe the newer FM95s do?

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2010 around 12:49

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

It is apparently unreasonably difficult for me to push in my FN Hi-Power's firing pin; my roommate seems to think it's a heavy spring. If that's true, then my mainspring is also of a higher-than-factory weight (or really, really should be). This could explain the =>9lb. trigger pull weight. Does anyone here know the factory weights of the firing pin spring and mainspring of a Hi-Power?

If all the above is true, it's possible I got an old police trade-in that got reparked, and it may be okay to replace the springs with either factory-weight springs or this C&S spring kit I got but never did squat with.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Wolff says factory mainspring is 32lb. Not sure of the FP spring weight but if the main is that heavy, I'd imagine it to be similarly stiff.

vvv Seeing as you were one of the regulars who turned me on to the HP in the first place, I was wondering when you'd show up.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2010 around 14:09

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Hello thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

firing pin was pretty gunky. i'll run a couple mags through it at lunch today and report back. thanks Uncle Caveman

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Be sure to clean out the firing pin channel as well. An aerosol can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner should blast any remaining goo.

(do wear goggles, that stuff will splash back and your face will be all )

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

Holy poo poo I need that hat.

Actually, correction. I need Tim Horton's. Australia has gently caress all that even compares with it

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

Uncle Caveman posted:

Be sure to clean out the firing pin channel as well. An aerosol can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner should blast any remaining goo.

(do wear goggles, that stuff will splash back and your face will be all )

already ahead of you, brake cleaner and q-tips pulled some nasty crud out of the firing pin channel. thanks again though

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Flanker posted:

Hello thread.

You are beautiful, never change.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Flanker posted:

Hello thread.

Sorry, this thread is only for people who buy their own Hi Powers.

I miss you

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

thread needs flanker_secondary_transition.gif

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

What would be considered acceptable levels of "slide play?" When the hammer is cocked on my FM90 it's got a bit of play when you wiggle it around in your hand. Maybe a hair short of 1/8th of an inch, most likely closer to 1/16th. (I have not measured it) The barrel locks up nice and tight, and the lugs look clean and crisp.

I have heard that the barrel lockup is much more important than "slide play."

edit: Hi Power in IDPA! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyBHQqrJq4s

lifenomad fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2010 around 19:55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

Flanker posted:

Hello thread.

That Tim Hortons hat is loving hilarious and I need one.

EDIT: Oh so that's where that's from, very cool

DJExile fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2010 around 20:00

«50 »