Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Can anyone recommend a list of mods that make Oblivion not look like poo poo without being creepy about it and make the game more stable and less prone to crashing every 30 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Oblivion Character Overhaul as has been talked about here,

Qarl's Textures is hi res texture pack for everything but armors/weapons pretty much

This memory plugin seemed to do the trick for me my last playthrough

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/37447/? and I used this for saves as Oblivion suffers from the same crappy save system that Fallouts do (disable autosaves if you dont already)

everything else you'd want is probably listed in the OP.

edit: I'm pretty fond of this ENB http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44146/

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good travel mod similar to morrowind? I vaguely remember downloading a mod a few years back that added ships and carriages you could ride but I can't seem to find it on Nexus.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Can anyone recommend a good travel mod similar to morrowind? I vaguely remember downloading a mod a few years back that added ships and carriages you could ride but I can't seem to find it on Nexus.

I've used this, and this. The first one is really expensive if you're a newb wanting to teleport. But it adds ships and carriages (and camels if you have Elsweyr installed), and has a lot of mod compatibility built in. Also covers SI. There is an ini which can control prices though, but I never messed with it.

The one by Arthmoor is a lot cheaper, but only adds horse and mage teleporter routes. The horse transport didn't even work for me the one time I tried it (it just ate my money), but that could have been some conflict I guess. I also found the horse-transport people in locked rooms a couple of times. The mage's guild teleporter is free after you gain university access. It has some extra mod-stuff built in, but I don't think it has as much as the first one.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Moryrie posted:

I've used this, and this. The first one is really expensive if you're a newb wanting to teleport. But it adds ships and carriages (and camels if you have Elsweyr installed), and has a lot of mod compatibility built in. Also covers SI. There is an ini which can control prices though, but I never messed with it.

The one by Arthmoor is a lot cheaper, but only adds horse and mage teleporter routes. The horse transport didn't even work for me the one time I tried it (it just ate my money), but that could have been some conflict I guess. I also found the horse-transport people in locked rooms a couple of times. The mage's guild teleporter is free after you gain university access. It has some extra mod-stuff built in, but I don't think it has as much as the first one.

Thanks! The first link looks like the one I want. Never knew there was an Elsywre mod for Oblivion.

One last question. Is there a way to use Oblivion Character Overhaul but not use the new Argonian and Khajiit fact meshes? I tried deleting the meshes added by the mod but that surprisingly did nothing. I prefer the vanilla faces over the modded ones.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks! The first link looks like the one I want. Never knew there was an Elsywre mod for Oblivion.

One last question. Is there a way to use Oblivion Character Overhaul but not use the new Argonian and Khajiit fact meshes? I tried deleting the meshes added by the mod but that surprisingly did nothing. I prefer the vanilla faces over the modded ones.

You could open it up in tes4edit and delete all the entries for Kajiit and Argonians. That might work.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

You could open it up in tes4edit and delete all the entries for Kajiit and Argonians. That might work.

Oh drat, good idea. I always forget about Tes4edit.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there any good list of mods that work with Morrowblivion? FCOM? That XP one? Anything to pretty it up a bit?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

Is there any good list of mods that work with Morrowblivion? FCOM? That XP one? Anything to pretty it up a bit?

Check the Morroblivion sites forums. There were a few such things last I checked.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Stop following me through the Gamebryo threads, dude. It was cute at first but

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Accidentally asked in the Skyrim thread but are Duke Patrick's combat mods worth using? As mentioned they looked nice but looked a little over the top.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Oblivion Character Overhaul as has been talked about here,

Qarl's Textures is hi res texture pack for everything but armors/weapons pretty much

This memory plugin seemed to do the trick for me my last playthrough

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/37447/? and I used this for saves as Oblivion suffers from the same crappy save system that Fallouts do (disable autosaves if you dont already)

everything else you'd want is probably listed in the OP.

edit: I'm pretty fond of this ENB http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/44146/

Thanks for posting these. The ENB is especially nice, though I wish the DOF detection wasn't so narrow; whenever my crosshair is on the tiniest spot of sky between leaves the trees go blurry.

A question about leveling mods, specifically nGCD and Realistic leveling; will these allow me to max out all of my attributes after all my skills hit 100? I hate to be tapped out on skills while some of my attributes are left at less than 100 (Luck being an exception).

Finally, why is DLCShiveringIsles.esp showing up as a dummy file in MO? This seems incredibly unlikely.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Alasyre posted:

Thanks for posting these. The ENB is especially nice, though I wish the DOF detection wasn't so narrow; whenever my crosshair is on the tiniest spot of sky between leaves the trees go blurry.

A question about leveling mods, specifically nGCD and Realistic leveling; will these allow me to max out all of my attributes after all my skills hit 100? I hate to be tapped out on skills while some of my attributes are left at less than 100 (Luck being an exception).

Finally, why is DLCShiveringIsles.esp showing up as a dummy file in MO? This seems incredibly unlikely.

The content for Shivering Isles gets put right into Oblivion.esm itself. DLCShiveringIsles.esp is only there to check to make absolutely sure the BSA files for the expansion get loaded.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

Stop following me through the Gamebryo threads, dude. It was cute at first but

Hey, you're out of toothpaste, just FYI.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

The content for Shivering Isles gets put right into Oblivion.esm itself. DLCShiveringIsles.esp is only there to check to make absolutely sure the BSA files for the expansion get loaded.

Huh, good to know. Thanks!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Alasyre posted:

The author of nGCD, tejon, has a number of other mods, one called Fundament, that basically goes hand in hand with nGCD, and basically makes the leveling system in Oblivion completely worthwhile - it also handles the attributes and skills going over 100, and has an INI file that is quite customizable.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Gyshall posted:

The author of nGCD, tejon, has a number of other mods, one called Fundament, that basically goes hand in hand with nGCD, and basically makes the leveling system in Oblivion completely worthwhile - it also handles the attributes and skills going over 100, and has an INI file that is quite customizable.

Cool. I'll probably use this in conjunction with Elys Uncapper and override the Uncapper and cap attributes at 100. Thanks.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

TehGherkin posted:

Would this or the Morrowind thread be better for asking about some Oblivion mods? A friend of mine convinced me to give it another shake but as vanilla as possible. I bought it with the DLC but part of me can't resist throwing in some weapon and armour mods, UI mods, and graphical enhancers.

I'm gonna go through the OP for stuff before I play as well, but I figure if the Oblivion mod scene still has half the life the Morrowind one still does there'll be a lot of newer additions and personal favourites for people to recommend.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I reccomend FCOM + COBL as a base.

I strongly suggest you use Mod Organizer even more than for Skyrim modding. Oblivion modders never adopted using BSA files the way Skyrim modders have, as a result every mod has hundreds of loose files.

FCOM can be a cast iron bitch to install, just because there are so many steps, but it's totally worth it.

Edit: if you need any advice getting FCOM working or any other oblivion modding related things together, look me up on Steam. I use the same username there.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I tried to install Nehrim, but I kept getting an error at lauch: application load error 5:0000065434. Google showed a bunch of people had a similar problem; most didn't get a response, and the few that did got instructions that didn't work for me. Has anyone else here had a similar problem?

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 16, 2014

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there some kind of one-click installer for Oblivion like MGSO for Morrowind that makes all the right choices for my modding enjoyment? I want to play Oblivion for the first time and I don't want to have to think about making it not terrible.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

horse mans posted:

Is there some kind of one-click installer for Oblivion like MGSO for Morrowind that makes all the right choices for my modding enjoyment? I want to play Oblivion for the first time and I don't want to have to think about making it not terrible.

Short Answer: Not really, but for one-stop Overhaul needs, I recommend Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

Long answer: No, because Oblivion modding is when modders began being proper little tyrants about how their stuff is used.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

So hey. I installed a whole bunch of graphical improvements, which are working fine, and the only gameplay changing mods I installed were Deadly Reflex, Francesco's, and Ren's Guards (though I had to disable guard following suspicious behavior because they would just trail me all over the countryside on their horses for no reason whatsoever).

Problem is, 14 hours in, and my battlemage just hit level 3. I can't even kill a troll with a sword. Like, at all. With a steel longsword or whatever. Skeletons go down easy, and I can take out wolves and poo poo with arrows (apprentice level in blade and marksman), but I can't seem to advance any further than that. I can't find more powerful swords, haven't even bothered going to Kvatch the first time since I would get murdered in an Oblivion gate. I thought Francesco's was supposed to make it so there were more static levelling in dungeons and poo poo so there were specifically even ones and so on. But if I can't even defeat a bunch of bandits, I'm not sure how much good that does. Also Deadly Reflex sucks rear end and I uninstalled it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

horse mans posted:

So hey. I installed a whole bunch of graphical improvements, which are working fine, and the only gameplay changing mods I installed were Deadly Reflex, Francesco's, and Ren's Guards (though I had to disable guard following suspicious behavior because they would just trail me all over the countryside on their horses for no reason whatsoever).

Problem is, 14 hours in, and my battlemage just hit level 3. I can't even kill a troll with a sword. Like, at all. With a steel longsword or whatever. Skeletons go down easy, and I can take out wolves and poo poo with arrows (apprentice level in blade and marksman), but I can't seem to advance any further than that. I can't find more powerful swords, haven't even bothered going to Kvatch the first time since I would get murdered in an Oblivion gate. I thought Francesco's was supposed to make it so there were more static levelling in dungeons and poo poo so there were specifically even ones and so on. But if I can't even defeat a bunch of bandits, I'm not sure how much good that does. Also Deadly Reflex sucks rear end and I uninstalled it.

Francesco's makes creatures above your level in certain areas, you're gonna have to do quests in places you won't get murdered until you become stronger.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

horse mans posted:

Out of curiosity, what was your problem with Deadly Reflex? Was it NPCs constantly dodging attacks, even when they were unaware of your presence?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Are there any just mod packs floating around out there? I keep wanting to play Oblivion, but I have to mess around with FCOM and COBL and a bunch of other acronyms :v: it's my fault really, it's not like doing that's new to me, after playing morrowind, skyrim, new vegas, etc. It's just Dragon's Dogma is right there and doesn't need any modding and my laziness kicks in and I just go climb stuff instead.

Also all the links I click in the OP just redirect to the general tesnexus page and no specific mod.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 28, 2014

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
They all have numbers at the end. If you take that number, go Oblivion Nexus and click on a mod (any mod) then switch out their ID for the broken link ID. Then you'll be on the right page. OP could probably use some updating though. I don't think there's any modpacks apart from easy FCOM and some cringe worthy nexus mod that lumps all the WAC swords and some outfits together. With other things. There are some setups that won't take up too much time to get running though depending on what you want.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TehGherkin posted:

Are there any just mod packs floating around out there? I keep wanting to play Oblivion, but I have to mess around with FCOM and COBL and a bunch of other acronyms :v: it's my fault really, it's not like doing that's new to me, after playing morrowind, skyrim, new vegas, etc. It's just Dragon's Dogma is right there and doesn't need any modding and my laziness kicks in and I just go climb stuff instead.

Also all the links I click in the OP just redirect to the general tesnexus page and no specific mod.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul + Marts Monster Mod + COBL will do right by you. :)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Out of curiosity, what was your problem with Deadly Reflex? Was it NPCs constantly dodging attacks, even when they were unaware of your presence?

The keybindings were broken, I didn't know how to do anything so NPCs were incredibly good at combat and I was a shlub, and I couldn't stop getting stunlocked, even when blocking. Dunno, gave up, switched to Skyrim for now.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul + Marts Monster Mod + COBL will do right by you. :)

The only thing is I don't want an overhaul per se, I'd like to experience it as sort of Vanilla+ basically, with a nicer UI, some newer items and bits and bobs but nothing that changes the actual core gameplay. At least for a while, I told a friend I'd give it a fair shake again, and try it out vanilla before I mod it.

I might have to cheat and get something for the faces though, no matter what I do I look like a series of strangely shaped potatoes. At the moment I'm going with the unofficial patches, a keychain thing, and oblivion character overhaul. That's fairly vanilla, I'll play a character for 10 or 20 hours (maybe) before I start heaping the mods on like so much extra-content gravy.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 29, 2014

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

TehGherkin posted:

The only thing is I don't want an overhaul per se, I'd like to experience it as sort of Vanilla+ basically, with a nicer UI, some newer items and bits and bobs but nothing that changes the actual core gameplay. At least for a while, I told a friend I'd give it a fair shake again, and try it out vanilla before I mod it.

I might have to cheat and get something for the faces though, no matter what I do I look like a series of strangely shaped potatoes. At the moment I'm going with the unofficial patches, a keychain thing, and oblivion character overhaul. That's fairly vanilla, I'll play a character for 10 or 20 hours (maybe) before I start heaping the mods on like so much extra-content gravy.

You could try Frans. Just omit all the extras. It makes level scaling less annoying, and that's about it. It still scales. It just doesn't buff creatures after a certain point or completely remove them from the leveled lists because you've 'outgrown' them. It's very close to how Skyrim works, which still annoys me personally, which is why I now use something else. The 'real' way to play if you're going 'vanilla' is to never sleep. Otherwise, try the really basic Frans package.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone played Kvatch Rising? Thoughts?

Also, holy poo poo Giskard is still mad about TES4Edit cleaning and load order sorting. What an impressive level of delusion.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

TehGherkin posted:

Get Darn UI, Franseco's Leveled Items + Creatures, Oblivion Character Overhaul, Refurbish DLC, Deadly Reflex.

For graphics, All Natural, OBGE Liquid Water, and Qarl's Texture Pack.

There are gently caress tons of more mods that I think Oblivion needs to be "playable", or at least enjoyable, but that is a good start.

e: Also all of the unofficial patches, crash prevention, stutter remover mods. Also quality of life interface tweak mod QZ Menu Mod (?) phonepostin' so I'm not sure.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 2, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Alasyre posted:

Anyone played Kvatch Rising? Thoughts?

Also, holy poo poo Giskard is still mad about TES4Edit cleaning and load order sorting. What an impressive level of delusion.

I'd recommend Kvatch Rebuilt, it's high quality. You're better off avoiding Giskard's work out of principle. That's what I've done ever since he went way out of line a few years ago, pulled all his Oblivion mods off all the regular sites, put them only on his hugbox forums where only 'friends' were allowed, with 'friends' being people who made donations.

That got smacked down right quick by Bethesda because it was pretty much tantamount to selling mods.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I watched part of a video for Giskard's Elder Council mod (I didn't consider downloading it because it uses like 13 crappy resource packs), and the voice acting was just.. hilariously bad. Especially the Khajiit. They also kept pronouncing the same words 5 different ways. It's probably a good candidate for the awful mods thread.

And the resource packs looked really inconsistent. Sometimes using decent textures, other times using some that looked more low-res than vanilla Morrowind.

Seconding Kvatch Rebuilt. You can also try the beta 3.0 version on the offical website if you're feeling adventurous.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I played both Kvatch Rebuilt and Kvatch Aftermath back in the day, and I think I preferred Rebuilt, but never played Rising. Giskard's a moron, but I figured I'd give Rising a shot. I was actually worried I wouldn't be able to get it without a requisite postcount, but I wasn't interested in having to post several philosophical treatises just to download a mod, however all you need now is an account (pretty sure that was Giskard's rule for acess to mods). I guess I'll just stick with Rebuilt.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I reinstalled earlier today and found myself, yet again, wondering why the hell they decided to let the character generator even allow these things:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Is it possible to do a quick and dirty mod migration from a Steam install to a CD install? It seems like nothing is really tied to the specific Steamness of the files but, y'know, Bethesda.

I run my loadout through Wrye Bash if that makes a difference.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Catts posted:

Is it possible to do a quick and dirty mod migration from a Steam install to a CD install? It seems like nothing is really tied to the specific Steamness of the files but, y'know, Bethesda.

I run my loadout through Wrye Bash if that makes a difference.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but robocopy will copy over the files perfectly for you, keeping the proper date ordering for esps, etc intact. You might run into issues with registry files, however. I would install by CD, run once to generate the necessary registry entries, then move your steam files over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but robocopy will copy over the files perfectly for you, keeping the proper date ordering for esps, etc intact. You might run into issues with registry files, however. I would install by CD, run once to generate the necessary registry entries, then move your steam files over.

Excellent, thank you!

• Locked thread