Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
good on tv
Dec 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Any crafty ideas? My car's seatbelt won't latch because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby got Railed
Sep 29, 2001

good on tv posted:

Stuck a penny in a car's cig lighter socket one time and it shorted 90% of the car's electrical. This doesn't really help you though

Have you tried various tweezers and implements of extraction? Most are plastic molded around the assembly so you cant just open it up. If its that bad you may need to replace that part of the belt.. Remove the seat and unbolt the belt, find a replacement and reassemble

good on tv
Dec 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cuddly Coach posted:

Stuck a penny in a car's cig lighter socket one time and it shorted 90% of the car's electrical. This doesn't really help you though

Have you tried various tweezers and implements of extraction? Most are plastic molded around the assembly so you cant just open it up. If its that bad you may need to replace that part of the belt.. Remove the seat and unbolt the belt, find a replacement and reassemble

It seems to be lodged in there pretty well. I've tried needle nose pliers, and fishing it out with my keys but I've had no luck. I mean, at the very least, if I can't pry it out I'll just take out the seat, take out the seat belt latch and shake it violently! But I really don't want to do that.

Also, Cuddly Coach, after your initial story, I'm mildly confident I can fight the temptation to put pennies in my cigarette lighter socket. Thank you.

I will try tweezers next, I may have to go to the grocery store on my lunch.

Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001

If it's wedged in there, you might be hosed. you might need to take a thin knife or screw driver and poke around in there to get it loose. After that, use the pliers or tweezers to pull it out. If even the tweezers are too big, as a last resort before replacing the belt, you may want to try a dot of superglue or some sort of sticky putty on the end of a thin stick like a toothpick or piece of wire and try to fish it out. Warning, putting more poo poo in the buckle may cause more problems so be careful.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

If you liked it,
then you should have put a ring on it.

Can you get something underneath it? Think a bent paperclip but stronger. Maybe a thin metal nail file? I'm assuming the width of the male piece is wider than the penny.

The Erland
Dec 24, 2006
Hey guys

It might be a good idea to use some oil as well as your extraction method of choice.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

Cut a dime shaped hole into the male end where the obstruction is

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

good on tv posted:

I have the craftiest; buy a new female piece and throw out the old one.

Strunk
Apr 23, 2010

I'm assuming you're referring to a US dime, but on the off chance that it is a Canadian dime, they are, in fact, magnetic.

... The more you know __--**

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.

Eat the belt then poop out the dime

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Its not a big deal to remove the seat(usually just 4 bolts) and if the receiver is attached to the seat you can remove it. Otherwise just turn the seat upside down. I take my seats out all the time to vacuum.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Looks like it's time to go car shopping!

Take it to the nearest dealer and just ask them to replace the receiver. I can't imagine it'd cost much, but a little research could probably tell you.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at Jun 1, 2010 around 20:15

Flying Guillotine
Dec 28, 2005

by angerbot

Get a set of mechanic's ring pliers, they're the ones that look like pliers, but there's a tiny attachment on the end for extracting poo poo like this.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

FUCK
YOU
MUTHAFUCKA

Assuming your car is at least a few years old, I'm sure you could go to the nearest pick-a-part junkyard, and cut a new female piece out of a similar car to yours, for like $50 at the absolute maximum.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Fnoigy posted:

Looks like it's time to go car shopping!

Take it to the nearest dealer and just ask them to replace the receiver. I can't imagine it'd cost much, but a little research could probably tell you.

Yeah, pay your local dealership $70+ an hour to do something anyone with the slightest bit of physical dexterity can do. If your vehicle is a huge pain in the rear end, this might be your best bet if you're not the mechanically inclined type though.

What kind of car is it? The female end is usually attached to the floorboard with 1 bolt in most vehicles, I have seen weird security Torx screws but usually it's just a bolt holding it in place. On vehicles with a seatbelt warning light, there will be some wiring connected to it, there should be a wiring connector you unclip to disconnect. Is the latch that holds the male end pressing against it? Try fishing it out with the release button held down.

DELETED fucked around with this message at Jun 1, 2010 around 20:40

Wedemeyer
May 2, 2008
I steal other peoples food and am a twat

Cuddly Coach posted:

I always laugh aloud at your avatar! God what stupid thread that was!

OP: have you tried using a vacuums' hose attachment thing and sucking it out?

lupoprovik
Sep 22, 2007

Wedemeyer posted:

OP: have you tried using a vacuums' hose attachment thing and sucking it out?

Or compressed air, try sticking the little straw down there and let it blow.

muttped
Aug 30, 2007
Help me baby Jesus!

Just turn the car upside down and shake it, it'll come right out!

On a more serious note: a curved larger paperclip or something similar so you can apply force from the bottom. Form it into a J and use the plastic walls of the female latch to get the tip underneath the coin. I don't think the solutions with vacuum or compressed air will work, there's too much space for the air to escape/take other routes for it to have any real effect.

But if you don't turn the car upside down, you're just not man enough

GregNorc
Dec 30, 2004

Computer Janitors Local 219

Go to home depot and look for metal shims

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.

Try gum, sticky tack, or tape.

Cherry Hammer
Jan 31, 2005

what's a cherry hammer?

straight razor blade. Seriously. The corner will give you just enough grab to fish it out.

Or, if the hole is a bit bigger, two pieces of cardstock as a grabbing mechanism.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I saw this on the "Popular Threads" thingy on the front page, where it was truncated to "How to get this dime out of the female".

Ah, the possibilities...

thepartypooper
Jul 4, 2002

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...=1&blockType=G1

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

Use a ribbon or something else flat and flexible, and affix it to a piece of bent wire. Thread it underneath the dime, grab both ends and pull. Use some penetrating lube beforehand and it should slip right out.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?

Have you tried the seatbelt release button?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

If you can't thread anything behind it you could try adhesive. Cut a piece of cardboard against the shape of a dime, strap some adhesive tape over the end with the sticky end exposed, stick it in, maybe retrieve dime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

But whatever you do for the love of god come back to the thread and tell us about it so this isn't like one of those goddamn safe threads!

I think a vacuum is your best bet.