Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Zogo, I find it slightly irritating whenever my newest movie gets picked because it feels like I'll never make any progress on my list and instead simply cycle through the movies that keep getting added, but you get to watch Badlands so yeah.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God just kept building and building to the end. And then monkeys. The score and the scenery was stupendous, and I'm not really sure how the documentary-esque style managed to work. I think one of this movie's main triumphs is how the narrative perspective feels extremely dispassionate and clinical, and it does this despite a camera that's often clearly carried by someone walking around. Instead of feeling like The Blair Witch Project (or, more moderately, like something chronicled by a guy carrying around a camera), though, it's like we get a god's eye view of the situation. The dreamlike music and even the often lovely sound and special effects really reinforce that feeling, especially when paired with the visceral reality of the animals and the costumes and the raft. Plus I loving love monkeys.

edit: I've decided the answer is pretty simple. The camera feels dispassionate because it is dispassionate. The movie is shot dispassionately, to the extreme, whereas generally a first-person documentary-esque camera feels very interested in what it's shooting, because it's shooting to capture something. Whether it's Blair Witch-esque "the camera is literally acting like someone looking at something" which imports interest directly or more typical documentary-esque "the camera is capturing this thing to document it," the usual feel of something where you can tell it's a person walking around with a camera is a feeling of seeing through someone's eyes. It looks at things, zooms in on things, frames things, etc. in a way that suggests there's an intelligence behind it. I think one of Aguirre's triumph is that we don't feel like there's a person driving the camera.

Although now that I'm writing this I'm realizing that I basically haven't explained anything, because I'm not sure how exactly it's dispassionate. I think part of it has to do with how it's not obvious about picking out things to focus on (witness the opening shot, for instance, where it's entirely unclear whether the hypothetical camera operator wants to capture the people in the foreground, or the background, or both, because they seem to be doing a bad job if any of those three are their goal) and part of it has to do with how the movie's cut together (it stays away from establishing an obvious visual cohesion: often we can't really link a shot to a previous shot to find out how far away we are from the last shot). I'm getting sleepy; I might add more later.

1) The Lady Vanishes (1938) - But where does she vanish to? Of Hitchcock I think I've only seen Rear Window!

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Rififi (1955) - I hear that this is a very good noir film.

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

5) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - I know nothing of this film.

6) (1963) - I have never seen a Fellini film.

7) Midnight Cowboy (1968) - Well gee I just love cowboys! Can't wait to see a bunch of people riding around on horses with their sixshooters a firin' off!

8) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

9) Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) - Woody Allen!

10) Waltz with Bashir (2008) - I've heard good stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Check out 8 1/2, because that will soon be on my list.

Just watched: Once Upon A Time In America. Well, I don't think the movie was good enough to justify the 229 minute run-time, but it was a very good movie. So Alfred, you're off the hook :glomp:. It took about 80 minutes for this movie to get interesting, and its pacing was really choppy. It'd be exciting for 20 minutes, then excruciatingly boring for 20 minutes. But overall, it was worth it. I just finished, so my thoughts are still gestating, but the last 30 minutes or so really made the first 180 minutes feel mostly worth the ride.

List:
The Big Chill - I've always wanted to see this, one of my favorite albums takes a few clips from the dialogue, so even as a 15 year old it interested me. Just have never gotten around to it. Also, wanted to put something more recent on my list, since no one is ever going to pick Boonmee. (Is it weird that I'm 25, and very rarely like movies that have been made in my lifetime?)

Chinatown - One of Nicholson's finest, and always ranked among the top movies ever. I need to see it.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

Koyaanisqatsi - Heard very little about it, except that it is critically acclaimed. The name of the film always intrigued me, but not enough to actually watch it.

Mother - Need to watch some more from South Korea. Only have seen Oldboy and Memories of Murder, but they were both great.

Notorious Hitchcock and Cary Grant? Yes please.

Ran Kurosawa does King Lear.

The Seventh Seal Literally have not seen anything by Bergman. Time to rectify that. If this is not a good place to start, you can recommend Wild Strawberries in its place.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, Citizen Kane, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Seven Samurai, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (12 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 17, 2012

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

escape artist posted:

Koyaanisqatsi - Heard very little about it, except that it is critically acclaimed. The name of the film always intrigued me, but not enough to actually watch it.

Your list has a lot of good and important films. In these instances I always recommend the one I'd be most apt to revisit. I wish there were more out there like it.

Badlands - This one had lots of whimsical narration by Sissy Spacek. After each successive murder I found myself mildly amused by the strange lines and questions that Holly and Kit ask their victims.

Holly to father: "Are you okay?"

Holly asking about Cato being shot: "Is he upset?"

My response to that kind of delivery is laughter. Why is she so relaxed?

The grumpy dad played by Warren Oates reminded me of many of the stories I've heard of kids wanting to get married or be in a relationship who end up going on the run after their parents disapproved. Anyway, the way the film plays out was somewhat unexpected.

IMDb list:

#80 The Intouchables - I think I've seen it mentioned a few times on here. 6/16/12

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - I've been entertained with the four previous films. Now that Voldemort has appeared I think the pace of the series will pick up. 8/9/12

new #217 Harvey - I might have seen some or most of this on VHS a long time ago but if I did I barely remember anything. 8/16/12

#236 The Sweet Life AKA La Dolce Vita - I know this one is revered by many for nearing perfection. 8/9/12

#245 The Samurai AKA Le Samouraï - I remember seeing the DVD cover somewhere. A man adjusting a hat. 4/27/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1961 West Side Story - I saw a lot of this in a music class a long, long time ago. 7/17/12

Procrastination list:

#10 Monkey Shines - I remember walking into a video store and seeing the VHS cover for this film and being very intrigued. Of course I was too young to rent it and forgot about it until running across the trailer on youtube recently. 4/9/12

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zogo, you've got to see West Side Story

I'm still in awe from Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Dieter Dengler's an honest to god hero and an incredibly charismatic storyteller. Things like the story of his childhood inspiration towards being a pilot, the story of him coming to America, and his grandfather's example that kept him holding out from signing any documents would all be great stories on their own. Herzog does a great job of giving Dengler the best stage and all the props necessary to explain what he went through as thoroughly as possible and letting him steer the ship. The only brief blip for me was the Thanksgiving scene, listening to Deatrick narrate after ~70 minutes of Dengler and Herzog was like running out of hot water. It had a great, great ending.

1. Bringing Up Baby - After Charade (plus Arsenic and Old Lace before my first list) I want to remedy the fact that I really haven't seen that many non-Hitchcock Cary Grant movies.

2. Nashville - I didn't know enough about this to know it wasn't a musical, I don't know where I picked that up. Short Cuts was enjoyable and the intertwining stories dynamic's always a big plus, and this seems like a good next step in that direction. Plus, I'm visiting Nashville in like a week. I recently visited Nashville, and it was hot, full of boot stores, and generally unpleasant. Robert Altman can try redeeming it to me.

3. The Magnificent Ambersons - My Ambersons are thoroughly lacking in magnificence. All About Eve left me wanting to see more Anne Baxter, and something with a recognizable title and directed by Orson Welles seems like a great follow-up.

4. Alien: Resurrection - I've seen every other movie in the Jean-Pierre Jeunet catalogue (including shorts) and have just continually put this off because I think it's going to ruin his perfect record of movies I really really enjoy. I can't hide behind that forever.

5. Miller's Crossing ~*~Coenpletionism A~*~ - I thought this movie was Donnie Brasco for like five years. I have no idea what it's about beyond gangsters probably?

6. Intolerable Cruelty ~*~Coenpletionism B~*~ - My introduction to the Coen brothers came in theaters in their 2004 remake of The Ladykillers. I really liked the first half, but after that it just all fell apart for me. I kinda want to make sure this one's third so I've got the Coen catalogue bookended with their least critically successful movies.

7. Last Year at Marienbad - I've heard nothing but great things about this, and I'm really interested in how the premise works on screen.

8. Rififi - This comes really highly recommended among heist movies, and I'm unfamiliar with pretty much everyone involved in it.

9. The Decameron - Taking a brief breather from Leone and moving to a movie from a different Italian director I'm completely ignorant about that's scored by Ennio Morricone. Plus, the nine short stories format sounds really neat.

10. Fitzcarraldo - The Herzog slot rides again! I know this stars Klaus Kinski and a boat gets carried around but that's the extent of my knowledge there.

De-shamed (24): Charade, Persona, The Sting, Double Indemnity, All About Eve, Inland Empire, Celine and Julie Go Boating, The Graduate, Bottle Rocket, Gone with the Wind, Three Colors: Red, Raging Bull, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Seven Samurai, Adam's Rib, Repulsion, Melancholia, Aguirre, The Wrath of God, Singin' In the Rain, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Pan's Labyrinth, Notorious, A Fistful of Dollars, Little Dieter Needs to Fly

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Power of Pecota posted:

9. The Decameron - Taking a brief breather from Leone and moving to a movie from a different Italian director I'm completely ignorant about that's scored by Ennio Morricone. Plus, the nine short stories format sounds really neat.

I've only seen bits in pieces in European History class, but this is based on a great compilation of stories that pre-dates Chaucer. I asked the professor to borrow the VHS from the class because it was that enjoyable. (Looking up this movie, I see the director did his own adaptation of the Canterbury Tales, and then one of Arabian Nights, completing a literary anthology to film adaptation trilogy.) So if you like this, you might want to consider Canterbury Tales next.

Just watched: Koyaanisqatsi
Dear God, it's over now, right? My own personal hell would be having to watch this movie ever again. I'd rather go to the dentist than watch this again. About 20 minutes into the dialogue-less series of slow motion and time-lapse video, I'd gotten the point. It could have been done then. No, let's torture you for another 60 minutes. At least I now appreciate the first act of 2001 because I've found something that eviscerates it in terms of boring-ness. The only thing that could make this movie enjoyable is if you had LSD and a time machine. It's apropos that this was the 13th movie chosen for me in this thread.

Also, Electronic6, I saw you on my list of TCI's, so I added you as my kerfuffle.

List:
The Big Chill - I've always wanted to see this, one of my favorite albums takes a few clips from the dialogue, so even as a 15 year old it interested me. Just have never gotten around to it. Also, wanted to put something more recent on my list, since no one is ever going to pick Boonmee. (Is it weird that I'm 25, and very rarely like movies that have been made in my lifetime?)

Chinatown - One of Nicholson's finest, and always ranked among the top movies ever. I need to see it.

Dr. Zhivago - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

*NEW*The Idiot - Kurosawa does Dostoevysky. (I've thrown a wrench into the works, now I have two Kurosawa movies on my list. Which one will you choose, given the chance, Electronic6?!)

Mother - Need to watch some more from South Korea. Only have seen Oldboy and Memories of Murder, but they were both great.

Notorious Hitchcock and Cary Grant? Yes please.

Ran Kurosawa does King Lear.

The Seventh Seal Literally have not seen anything by Bergman. Time to rectify that. If this is not a good place to start, you can recommend Wild Strawberries in its place.

The Wild Bunch - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, Citizen Kane, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Seven Samurai, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (13 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 17, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can watch The Seventh Seal, escape artist, or if you want, Wild Strawberries. Both are great and both are fine places to start.

8 1/2 was awesome. Extremely funny. I liked how it used music, and I thought it was neat how the fantasies started out darker while real life started out more flippant, and as time went on they changed places. Marcello Mastroianni is an extremely gripping actor to watch.

1) The Lady Vanishes (1938) - But where does she vanish to? Of Hitchcock I think I've only seen Rear Window!

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

4) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

6) Midnight Cowboy (1968) - Well gee I just love cowboys! Can't wait to see a bunch of people riding around on horses with their sixshooters a firin' off!

7) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

8) Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) - Woody Allen!

9) There Will Be Blood (2007) - I hope there's no blood in this movie :ohdear:

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

escape artist posted:

At least I now appreciate the first act of 2001 because I've found something that eviscerates it in terms of boring-ness.

There is nothing boring about 2001...nothing :colbert:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ratedargh posted:

There is nothing boring about 2001...nothing :colbert:

I need to re-watch it. There's a reason I haven't put it on my Criticker list. I don't trust opinions I made before... since, well... the beginning of this year, when I stopped being an alcoholic and stoner.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
You didn't even like the Philip Glass score? :(

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kull the Conqueror posted:

You didn't even like the Philip Glass score? :(

I liked that, and if you tell me there is no Cambodian throat-singing of the word "Koyaaniqatsi" over and over again, I might actually pick up the soundtrack. I appreciated what the movie was trying to accomplish, and its message. It just wasn't a pleasurable experience. The visuals were tough to appreciate, being 30 years old, and having seen all of Planet Earth in HD.

I hate to say this, but that movie is something that would be greatly enhanced with marijuana or psychadelic drugs.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 18, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can watch The Seventh Seal, escape artist, or if you want, Wild Strawberries. Both are great and both are fine places to start.

8 1/2 was awesome. Extremely funny. I liked how it used music, and I thought it was neat how the fantasies started out darker while real life started out more flippant, and as time went on they changed places. Marcello Mastroianni is an extremely gripping actor to watch.

8) Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) - Woody Allen!

Glad you liked my recommendation, because I loved your recommendation! The Seventh Seal was absolutely incredible.

I pick Crimes and Misdemeanors for you, because it's also a film that will soon appear on my list. Hopefully our trend of great reciprocal recommendations continues.

Just watched: The Seventh Seal Wow. It was incredible. I'm still in awe. The only bad thing I could possibly say about it is that it was only 95 minutes long, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm a sucker for historical films that have eerily modern themes. So many great moments in this one. I'm kind of at a loss for words, as you can tell, but that's indicative of a great film.

List:
*NEW* 8 1/2 Need to get into Fellini.

*NEW*Aguirre: The Wrath of God - I don't even know much about this but I keep seeing it pop up on everyone's list, and it's getting rave reviews, so I want to see it.

Notorious - Hitchcock and Cary Grant? Yes please.

Ran - Kurosawa does King Lear.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, Citizen Kane, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (14 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 19, 2012

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

escape artist posted:

The Idiot - Kurosawa does Dostoevysky. (I've thrown a wrench into the works, now I have two Kurosawa movies on my list. Which one will you choose, given the chance, Electronic6?!)

Interesting Kurosawa choice, just be aware that it's easily among his worst films for one devastating reason.

imdb posted:

Filmed as a two-part production running 265 minutes. Shochiku (the studio) told Akira Kurosawa that the film had to be cut in half, because it was too long; he told them, "In that case, better cut it lengthwise." The film was released truncated at 166 minutes.

Years later during the making of Rhapsody in August, Kurosawa searched the Shochiku vaults to assemble the original cut but the footage was lost.

Desiato fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 20, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yikes, I did not know that... Permit me to change it...

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

escape artist posted:

Just watched: Koyaanisqatsi
Dear God, it's over now, right? My own personal hell would be having to watch this movie ever again. I'd rather go to the dentist than watch this again. About 20 minutes into the dialogue-less series of slow motion and time-lapse video, I'd gotten the point. It could have been done then. No, let's torture you for another 60 minutes. At least I now appreciate the first act of 2001 because I've found something that eviscerates it in terms of boring-ness. The only thing that could make this movie enjoyable is if you had LSD and a time machine. It's apropos that this was the 13th movie chosen for me in this thread.

Goddamnit. I know that some day I'm going to force myself to watch this movie, but if even CD people find it incredibly boring..

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 19, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
For some reason it has a bad rap in this thread but most CineDers like it. I love it myself, it's one of my favorite films. The way Glass's glorious music moves with the hypnotic visuals is totally stunning.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Goddamnit. I know that some day I'm going to force myself to watch this movie, but even if CD people find it incredibly boring..

I think it's fantastic, but I do like Philip Glass anyway.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, I'll also stick up for Koyaanisqatsi. I find it absolutely mesmerizing. I've only seen it on my TV, so I'm interested in how I'd feel if I ever saw it on film.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Goddamnit. I know that some day I'm going to force myself to watch this movie, but if even CD people find it incredibly boring..

When a film rejects traditional narrative in favor of theme it has a tendency to alienate the viewer, Koyaanisqatsi is one of the penultimate examples of this. It's an amazing film but it also rejects a lot of the film fundamentals we expect, it's difficult to watch and not become "dulled" to what's occurring on screen.

Desiato fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 22, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, I'll also stick up for Koyaanisqatsi. I find it absolutely mesmerizing. I've only seen it on my TV, so I'm interested in how I'd feel if I ever saw it on film.

I was watching it on my computer, and it probably would have benefited from being seen on my HDTV. I was hyperbolizing my distaste for it, but I still didn't enjoy it and was counting the minutes until it ended.

But still, you know after a while, it gets boring. I appreciate what it was doing. I'm glad it exists. But I don't think I would find myself ever watching it again without cannabis or LSD. Because it's such a sensual experience-- not a cerebral experience, like what I prefer in a film.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

escape artist posted:

Ran - Kurosawa does King Lear.

It's so much more than that.

For quite some time now, I been trying to find more words to describe The Last Picture Show, other than "it was good". I enjoyed watching, it has good actors doing some good acting, good characters, a good coming of age story filled with , good cinematography that coupled with the good music create a time and a place, and so on. But when it was all over, I had the strong impression that this isn't going to be a film that I'm remembering by tomorrow, and it's just going to become a forgotten entry on my criticker list. I can't find no particular fault in it, though I can't find any thing remarkable or fascinating about it either. Can't win them all.

SHAME Part III:

Vivre Sa Vie Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.

The Killer More John Woo Bullet Ballet.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Quickly becoming a Buster Keaton convert.

The Trouble with Harry is that he's dead! Hilarity ensues.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier God needs a spaceship or something

Anatomy of a Murder Murder!!

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Caché(Hidden) Another from the pile of films I own but can't remember why.

L'atalante The highest rated(17) on the TSPDT list that I haven't seen yet.

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

Have watched so far 22 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Electronico6 posted:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier God needs a spaceship or something

Random number generator chose this! Enjoy.

I just watched Leon the Professional and goddamn what a film. I sat in rapt attention the entire time, even if certain themes were... uncomfortable to say the least. The character development was fantastic, and most of the actors blew me away. Here's my updated list:

Inception - Heard good things about it when it came out but have never gotten around to watching it. I enjoy everything I've seen by Nolan and I loved Gordon-Levitt in Brick. Main stuff has already been semi-spoiled for me by friends talking about it and pop-culture.

Goodfellas - All I know about this movie is Joe Pesci gets brutally murdered and that's enough to make me interested.

Seven Samurai - I know nothing about this film besides the fact it has samurai's and it's great.

City of God - Have heard fantastic things about it, it's set in Brazil I think? gently caress if I know anything else.

Once Upon a Time in the West - It's a good Western, I like Westerns.

Chinatown - Jack Nicholson? Good enough for me.

Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me to watch it like a week ago, I have literally not one clue what this movie is about but I trust his recommendation.

Citizen Kane - I have just never gotten around to watching this, but I know it has a titanic reputation.

Eraserhead - Apparently it's a nice ol' mindfuck.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Once Upon a Time in the West - It's a good Western, I like Westerns.
I love this movie. I hope you do too.

First Blood was not quite what I was expecting. The Rambo franchise has a reputation for showing a lot of people dying and, while this movie was plenty violent and had plenty of action, there was not much in the way of death. This is certainly not a bad thing. Rambo's monologue at the end was heartbreaking. Very good film. I also liked the explosions.

The List:

1. Oklahoma!: I am not big on musicals at all but I live in Oklahoma and have been told that it is some kind of crime against humanity that I haven't seen this.

2. Rain Man: I've caught bits and pieces of this on TV but I've never actually seen the whole thing.

NEW 3. Double Indemnity: I guess I should see a proper noir at some point.

4. Superman: Superman was never really an interesting character to me, but this is culturally significant enough that I guess I need to see it.

5. Shane: Another essential western.

6. Casino: I've heard this is basically Goodfellas but with a casino.

7. The Deer Hunter: I've seen most of the big Vietnam movies, but not this one. All I know is that there's Russian Roulette in this.

8. The King's Speech: I borrowed this from the library a few weeks ago but the DVD was scratched and gave out halfway through. I liked what I did see, though.

9. The Sting: I don't really know what this is about, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Also, I don't think I've seen any Paul Newman movie besides Cars and Road to Perdition.

10. Spartacus: One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen.

Watched: Goodfellas, Rear Window, Rashomon, The Searchers, Lawrence of Arabia, American Psycho, The Usual Suspects, L.A. Confidential, Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in America, Blue Velvet, Schindler's List, Vertigo, First Blood

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

First Blood was not quite what I was expecting. The Rambo franchise has a reputation for showing a lot of people dying and, while this movie was plenty violent and had plenty of action, there was not much in the way of death. This is certainly not a bad thing. Rambo's monologue at the end was heartbreaking. Very good film. I also liked the explosions.

First Blood is shockingly anti-war. I went into it expecting a gung-ho, military-industrial-complex-fueled, Sly Stallone-kills-everything-in-sight, action fest. Instead I got a pretty shocking and vivid moral on how the Vietnam veterans were swept aside by society.

What I'm saying is First Blood is amazing. It's also a werewolf film.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TrixRabbi posted:

It's also a werewolf film.

Do what now?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out The Sting, Alfred.

Crimes and Misdemeanors was good. With the exception of Allen's one liners and Alan Alda being as awesome as he always is, it was a straight up drama, which for some reason I wasn't expecting even though Allen does drama just as much as he does comedy. The nihilism and pessimism was wonderful, especially all the stuff with the philosophy professor. Enjoyed the music too.

6) Midnight Cowboy (1968) - Well gee I just love cowboys! Can't wait to see a bunch of people riding around on horses with their sixshooters a firin' off!

8) Blue Velvet (1986) - This would be my first David Lynch film.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
gently caress COREY PERRY needs to choose a film for Electronico6.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Penismightier likes to point that out a lot, and I was making a joke about it. (Although he's right).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

escape artist posted:

gently caress COREY PERRY needs to choose a film for Electronico6.
It looks like Star Trek was chosen, no?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Watch TWBB.

Watched Iron Giant. Wasn't that hot on it, last 20 minutes were pretty good though. I didn't even tear up.

12 Monkeys - Saw some of it a long time ago, kind of remember the ?twist?.

12 Angry Men - How have I not seen this yet, seems interesting.

The 400 Blows - I hope this isn't about a kid in a concentration camp.

The Green Mile - I know almost everything that happens, but have never actually sat down and watched it start to finish.

The Graduate - I think I saw bits of this on tv.

The Deer Hunter - No idea.

Brazil - ..I liked City of God?

Paths of Glory - This is about figure skating, right.

Das Boot - Lengthy old german war movie. Eh.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Half hour long dialogue-less intro. Kubrick.

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 21, 2012

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

The 400 Blows - I hope this isn't about a kid in a concentration camp.

You'll just have to find out. It's not. Not at all.

To Kill A Mockingbird was excellent. It's a film that manages to touch on so much while never feeling like a movie that's over two hours long. I can't imagine how it must have felt to read the book or see this in 1962 when it came out, and then turn on the news to hear about the civil rights movement. I'll have to add the book to my reading list now.

My List:

Buffalo '66 - From what I've read about Vincent Gallo he seems like a bit of an rear end. But I've never seen a film by him and maybe he'll impress me. (Before May 2012)

Cul-De-Sac - I can never not be reminded that he's a rapist, but dammit, Polanski knows how to make a film. This one sounds pretty good. (Before May 2012)

Marat/Sade - I've never heard of this until just recently, but it sounds really good and Criticker thinks I'll like it. (Added 5/3/2012)

Rio Bravo - John Wayne's not my favorite but I've heard only good things so I'll give it a shot. (Added 7/7/2012)

The Birth Of A Nation - This is going to piss me off, isn't it? (Added 7/23/2012)

A Woman Under The Influence - Is this a good place to start with Cassavetes? I've never seen any of his films. (Added 7/23/2012)

Lawrence Of Arabia - Probably the weakest of all the common weak reasons: It's really long. (Added 7/27/2012)

His Girl Friday - Is Cary Grant going to Cary Grant it up in this? (Added 8/7/2012)

An American Werewolf In London - I've been meaning to watch this for years. (Added 8/7/2012)

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai - Jarmusch directs a film about a Taoist hitman. I'm on board. (Added 8/21/2012)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

TrixRabbi posted:

Lawrence Of Arabia - Probably the weakest of all the common weak reasons: It's really long. (Added 7/27/2012)
It's length and depth make it great.

Le Cercle Rouge exudes cool, it may be my favorite Melville (gotta see La Samourai again soon). The script is extremely tight, it spins out what appear to be loose ends and then twists them neatly back into the story. The plot is underpinned with compelling themes, none too in depth but enough to keep you thinking. Alain Delon, even with a mustache, swallows up every scene with just the looks he gives. The supporting cast rises to the occasion, each bringing extremely memorable characters to the screen. I only have a couple issues with Melville's direction that I've noticed over several of his films, first are small sloppy elements he kind of lets slide, (For example, the bullet pouring sequence felt awkwardly edited and Jansen does an absolutely terrible job filling in the mould. Also Jansen's whole "You've helped me get rid of the monsters" scene felt really awkward and undeserved.) I love the slow deliberate pacing but I feel that after the climax of the heist scenes Melville lets the mood too easily return to it's former pace instead of advancing forward, it meanders just a little too loosely. Overall one of the greatest heist movies despite a few petty gripes!

LIST OF SHAME:
1.*NEW*Au Revoir Les Enfants: Continuing with French films.

2.Melancholia: Interested in Lars von Trier's latest

3.Faraway, So Close! Wing's of Desire really left it's mark on me, time to see it's sequel.

4.Raising Arizona: I love the Coens and know next to nothing about his film.

5.Mother: Continuing with South Korean films.

6.Ugetsu More classic Japanese cinema!

7.Three Outlaw Samurai: 60s Samurai films...just something about them.

8.*OLDEST*The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Les Cousins: Claude Chabrol's next film after Le Beau Serge.

10.Letter Never Sent: Criterion Bluray: Check. Kalatozov: Check. What more do I need to know?

35 Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, Blue, Mean Streets, Fanny and Alexander, White, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Conversation, Le Beau Serge, Memories of a Murder, Tokyo Twilight, Red, 3 Women, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Gone with the Wind, Schindler's List, Cul-de-Sac, All About Eve, Once upon a Time in the West, The Virgin Spring, A Streetcar Named Desire, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge

Desiato fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 22, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It looks like Star Trek was chosen, no?

Somehow I missed that. Whoops!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Desiato, your list is way over my head, so choosing somewhat randomly (rather than glomming onto the only movie on the list I've seen) I think you should watch Letter Never Sent.

There Will Be Blood: I don't have a ton to say about the movie. It's a masterpiece and I really like how it managed to have a laser focus on Daniel without feeling at all penned in - I never felt like the story was telling me about him because it was about him. Instead I felt like the film was about him because of the things the story told me. If that makes sense. Maybe not.

I also liked how the movie treated religion. Some people on Criticker in their little reviews said this was "capitalism vs. religion" or things along those lines which I think is a far too narrow view of what's going on there. Daniel is not anti-religion, capitalism is not anti-religion, oil is not anti-religion, religion is not anti-oil or anti-capitalism or anti-Daniel... for all the screaming and yelling, practically every theme this movie touched on was dealt with in an incredibly complex manner. It wears nothing on its sleeve.

9) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - I've seen... two? Romanian films and enjoyed them both, so based on statistic extrapolation, I will enjoy every Romanian film.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is a great movie for your first David Lynch. Go see it.

Just saw My Fair Lady. It was not as good as Singin' in the Rain but it was very enjoyable. The songs were very good and catchy. Audrey Hepburn was very good as Eliza. At times she seemed to be almost a different character than she was at the start. Same basic story as Pretty Woman, but this one was much better.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

City Lights - Continuing the Chaplin movies.

The Adventures of Robin Hood - Never seen an Errol Flynn movie.

Caddyshack - This movie is referenced all the time, but I've never seen it.

Spirited Away - Never saw a Miyazaki film.

Throne of Blood - My next Kurosawa film.

West Side Story - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Phantom of the Opera - Next in my monster movie queue. This is the 1925 silent movie.

Little Caesar - Sticking with Pre-Code gangster films.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Same basic story as Pretty Woman, but this one was much better.

The "seed" here is Pygmalion, if you want to trace this story to its roots.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dmitri Russkie posted:

City Lights - Continuing the Chaplin movies.

This is good.

However the film I watched was no good, at all. God drat Star Trek V: The Final Frontier just looks cheap, dull, and loving ugly, and it becomes even more cheap, dull, and ugly as it goes. The humour of the film quickly goes from silly poking jabs at the nature of the series, to open mockery, and it just becomes sad, unfunny, and painful to watch. What the hell penismightier, this film was neither camp nor it had the colour of the fourth installment. <:mad:> It's also directed in the most dumb and self-conscious way, filled with pointless zooms, pans and close-ups, that only serve to call attention to a bad joke, or some sort of self-importance as in "IMPORTANT MOMENT". At least the camp fire scene at the start was good, even if it was shot in what looked like the woods from Blair Witch . Only one more left in TOS films, and it's by the same dude that directed the second, and still the best, so I'm optimistic.

This is now the worst film I watched thanks to this thread.

SHAME Part III:

Vivre Sa Vie Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.

The Killer More John Woo Bullet Ballet.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Quickly becoming a Buster Keaton convert.

The Trouble with Harry is that he's dead! Hilarity ensues.

Anatomy of a Murder Murder!!

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Caché(Hidden) Another from the pile of films I own but can't remember why.

L'atalante The highest rated(17) on the TSPDT list that I haven't seen yet.

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

Don't Look Now Is it scary?

Have watched so far 23 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Killer, because nothing better than a John Woo film to wash the taste of dullness away!

Since a young age, my main interest was (and still is) music, so I've never bothered to watch most (and I really mean most) of the greats. I'm getting more into cinema lately, so I figured this is a good place to start. My lists are probably going to be all over the place, since I want to be exposed to different things from different eras.

Casablanca - This is one of my father's favorite movies, but I never got around to watching it.

Dr. Strangelove or... - I often hear people talking how it's one of the greatest comedies ever and it has Peter Sellers, so what am I waiting?!

The Prestige - I love Christopher Nolan.

Sunset Blvd. - Noir. :allears:

M - The premise seems very interesting. Also, the first piece of german cinema I will watch, I think.

Memories of Murder - I've been putting off this one for more than a year now, c'mon.

Fargo - Embarrasing, I know.

No Country for Old Men - I have a serious lack of Coen brothers in my life.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

Fargo - Embarrasing, I know.

Truly. Hope you like it!

Finally after so long, I finished up Inland Empire. That was certainly something. What that something is, I'm not sure. It seemed more loose as far as plot goes than Twin Peaks or Eraserhead but I could see there were obvious connections among the scenes. The problem is that the movie was so rife with symbolism I didn't know what I should be looking at and what I should be ignoring. I think after reading the plot synopsis on Wiki and ruminating a bit that I understand at least the premise but I wouldn't be surprised if I was totally off base. Knowing that the actors themselves admitted they had no idea what the movie was about makes me feel better.

Did I like it? I'm not sure. But it does make me like David Lynch more, so that's certainly a plus.

My updated list:

1. Philadelphia Story - Another movie I have no idea about, but it keeps getting recommended in this thread.

2. City Of Lost Children. My husband has been trying to get me to see this for a long time now.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. Spartacus. I really need to get to finishing up all the Kubrick I haven't seen.

5. Kingpin. Something about Amish bowling?

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Grosse Pointe Blank. This was on my original Shameful list but no one ever picked it. Maybe someone will get around to it now.

8. Before Sunrise. This is a romance, right?

9. Grey Gardens. I think this is a documentary about some crazy rich ladies who are hoarders? Sounded interesting.

10. Ghost in the Shell. I've tried to watch this 3 times now and have fallen asleep within the first half hour.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis; It Happened One Night; Bonnie and Clyde; The Seventh Seal; Singing in the Rain; Barton Fink; Sunset Boulevard; The Gold Rush; The Deer Hunter; My Neighbor Totoro; The Crying Game; Unforgiven; La Dolce Vita; The Apartment; Rabbit Proof Fence; Duck Soup; Mad Max; Princess Mononoke; Notorious; Platoon; The Lives of Others; The Bicycle Thief; Cape Fear; Some Like it Hot; Children of Men; Forget Paris; North By Northwest; The Usual Suspects; Tokyo Story; Inland Empire

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 23, 2012

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I don't even know if David Lynch knows what Inland Empire is about. He famously made it up as he went along, giving the actors new pages of freshly written dialogue every day.

I think it's all a shaggy dog story, leading up the Do The Locomotion scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

7. Grosse Pointe Blank. This was on my original Shameful list but no one ever picked it. Maybe someone will get around to it now.

Here you are sir! I'll gladly give you this one.

Movie # 100 from this thread! :yotj:

The Straight Story is a strange film when based solely on David Lynch's other output. There are no bizarre twists, there are no deranged psychopaths, it's just a simple story that follows a straightforward chronology with genuine emotion and sentiment behind it. It has some Lynch touches -- the characters are a little off kilter, as per usual (just in a more Disney-friendly way) and the music is akin to the sleepy theme of Twin Peaks, though definitely less soap opera-y.

Farnsworth is incredible. His sad eyes and regular trembles of his face tell the story of Alvin Straight's pain and long-standing demons. These get slowly revealed through meeting strangers on his journey but his mannerisms lay the expectation of something beneath the surface from the beginning. It's a fine movie about the troubles within family and each vignette along the way helps expand that theme.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - The Kid (1921) - Chaplin has, so far, not let me down.

1930s - Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) - I've been intrigued about this one for some time but never got around to it.

1940s - Foreign Correspondent (1940) - More Hitchcock please!

1950s - Mr. Hulot's Holiday (1953) - Not a big fan of slapstick. I liked Mr. Bean a bit when I was a kid, isn't Hulot an inspiration for him?

1960s - Onibaba (1964) - Japanese folk horror, I presume. Let's do this!

1970s - The Last Detail (1973) - Never cared until I read about it, and Hal Ashby, in Easy Riders Raging Bulls.

1980s - Reds (1981) - Great cast...and I'm a sucker for journalism-centric movies but this is so long.

1990s - Lone Star (1996) - Murder mystery that I keep forgetting about.

2000s - Carlos (2010) - Will watch this 5+ hour beast in segments.

Bonus/IMDB List - It Happened One Night (1934)

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story(TOTAL: 100)