Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Enter the Dragon - Like Errol Flynn until recently, never saw a Bruce Lee movie either.

Try this next.

Bad Boys - A story featuring a lot of troubled teenagers. It's not your typical film in that it features teenagers stealing drugs, buying guns, and committing rapes. It's pretty gritty for the age range of the actors.

Eventually some of the main cast gets thrown into prison. There's a clear pecking order in the juvenile penitentiary with Viking and Tweety being the two prime bullies AKA "farm bosses." Eventually O'Brien (protagonist) lashes out and attacks them. Royal Crown Cola cans in a pillow case make for a good weapon. Then he becomes "THE MAN" so-to-speak and gets to give out the orders.

It seemed to run long and retread the same concepts over so by the time the real conflict between Paco and O'Brien emerged ninety minutes in it felt late. It just felt unfocused.

Besides featuring early appearances by Ally Sheedy, Alan Ruck, Sean Penn and Clancy Brown and showing some Chicago locales I didn't get into it too much.

Procrastination (117 completed):

#116 Traffic - I remember this getting a lot of hype when it came out but I forgot about watching it. 2/13/14

#118 Reds - Had this confused with "The Big Red One" for a while. 3/13/14

#120 The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - I've never had a strong urge to see this for some reason. 3/20/14

#121 Marathon Man - Been meaning to see this for a while. 3/20/14

new #122 Prometheus - The thread for this reached 432 pages so it must provoke discussion. 3/22/14

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (37/46 completed):

1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

1980 The Black Stallion - Another equine film. 2/26/14

1978 An Unmarried Woman - I don't think I've ever read one word about this one. I've seen Jill Clayburgh before though. 2/26/14

1977 3 Women - This was on a lot of lists here at one point. 2/26/14

1976 Small Change - I haven't seen many Truffaut movies yet. 2/26/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Of course I have to pick The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

All I knew about Paris, Texas going into it was that it starred Harry Dean Stanton, so I was rather blindsided by this powerful movie. I attempted to 'figure it out' most of the way through, until about half way in when I just let go, which is how it should be viewed.

This movie is emotional in a different way than others, only in that it feels so personal. No matter your walk of life, I think it is bound to appeal to you in someway that makes you reminisce, and maybe even consider current situations.

There is so much to think about here, both on the surface and underneath. This really is an American meditation, and something I am sure to revisit.

1. Make Way for Tomorrow - Everything about this movie seems like something I would like
2. Shoeshine - I really like De Sica.
3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson and feel like I need to see what all the ruckus is about.
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it
6. Eyes without a face -
7. Touch of Evil - This is an actual shameful one.
8. La Strada - I hear it referenced a lot.
9. Gaslight-
10. Nashville

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas,

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 24, 2014

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
400 Blows, no doubt. When I taught the film unit to my high school seniors, this was the after school option for the French New Wave section. One year we must have had about twenty people show up to watch, and it was truly something magical to finish this, briefly discuss it so that everyone had enough to write about in their screening reports, and then release them all into the cold, wintry night that had fallen around outside. It's quite unlike the other films from this period, and I hope you enjoy it on some level.

My shameful top ten:

1. Once Upon a Time in the West - I've seen tons of Leone's other ones, but for some reason this has always slipped by.

2. Solaris - the last Tarkovsky - Stalker - had me squirming with boredom (the book had me believing that the movie was going to be amazing).

3. Witness for the Prosecution - Courtroom dramas can really just go on.

4. Some Like it Hot - I dunno why. It's always been on my list.

5. Sunset Boulevard - ditto.

6. Alone in the Woods - just recently heard about this one while doing research for something else.

7. The Lives of Others - I enjoy espionage stuff, but this has always felt like it could be too heavy.

8. Saving Private Ryan - war makes me sad. I have enough of that these days, but if it's worth it, let's do it.

9. Oldeuboi - I hear the internet loves it but I'm not too fond of torture scenes.

10. The Princess Bride - speaking of which, I remember nothing else of this film other than the torture scene when my parents took me to see it when I was 4, and I had to be carried out crying. I've had a block against it since, even though everyone I know loves it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

artichoke posted:

5. Sunset Boulevard - ditto.

Start here.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - The character himself reminded me of Jeffrey Dahmer in that they both seemed to thrive on controlling other people (Dahmer was trying to control some of his victims to do his bidding as was Caligari). His appearance is kind of like The Penguin villain from the Batman series and films.

I was reminded of another film where we go inside the mind of killer: The Cell (2000).

Procrastination (118 completed):

#116 Traffic - I remember this getting a lot of hype when it came out but I forgot about watching it. 2/13/14

#121 Marathon Man - Been meaning to see this for a while. 3/20/14

#122 Prometheus - The thread for this reached 432 pages so it must provoke discussion. 3/22/14

new On Her Majesty's Secret Service - A film without Sean Connery. 3/25/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (37/46 completed):

1978 An Unmarried Woman - I don't think I've ever read one word about this one. I've seen Jill Clayburgh before though. 2/26/14

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Since it was mentioned, can someone point me to more information about the 4k restoration of The Cabinet of Dr.Caligari that I keep hearing about? Is it available on Blu Ray yet?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Zogo posted:

Haven't seen this myself, but one can never see too many Truffaut films.

Here's my ten:
  • Woman in the Dunes (1964): This has long been on my list. My brother tells me it's brilliant.
  • Ikiru (1952): I've seen tons of Kurosawa -- even minor works like Hot and Cold, The Bad Sleep Well, etc. I have no idea how this slipped through.
  • The Firemen's Ball (1967): I've heard great things about this one, but frankly, I know little about it. Liked Forman's directing in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, so that augurs well.
  • Die Feuerzangenbowle (1944): All I know about this is that it's a classic German comedy that was released during a very unfunny period in Germany's history. Very, very intriguing!
  • L'Atalante (1934): It actually does feel shameful that I haven't watched this -- Zero de conduite was a huge film for me.
  • Mon Oncle (1958): Always meant to dig into some Tati. Not sure why I've put it off so long.
  • Pastorali (1975): My film friends hepped me to Otar Iosseliani, but I've never seen any of his stuff. This looks promising.
  • The Pearls of the Crown (1937): I'm mildly obsessed with this era of French film, but I've somehow neglected to check out a Guitry film. Maybe now's the time?
  • Zazie dans le métro (1960): The Queneau connection always intrigued me -- I don't usually think of his books as particularly filmable. And Malle, of course, is great.
  • Bicycle Thieves (1948): Always circled this one, but never could commit to watching it. It seems almost certain it'll be a downer. Still, it's such a key film in cinema history, I feel like I need to check it out.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Go with The Bicycle Thieves. I spoke earlier of only having a hand full of 'perfect 10s', and this is one of them. Enjoy

I was blown away by The 400 Blows. I have been wary of this movie for a while because I had (so incorrectly) feared it was a pretentious bore-fest. While it is art, it is easily digestible and deep as an ocean. I was glued to the screen the whole time and I wish I could have been a part of a group watch/discussion as artichoke mentioned. Even with the events that play out in the movie, it has a youthful innocence that runs throughout and it's just fantastic.

I feel like I can't finish talking about this movie without mentioning the soundtrack. I am not sure if it is regarded as anything extraordinary , but I thought it was brilliant and really helped submerge me into what I was watching.

1. Make Way for Tomorrow - Everything about this movie seems like something I would like
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson and feel like I need to see what all the ruckus is about.
5. Young Mr. Lincoln
6. Eyes without a face -
9. Gaslight-
10. Nashville

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows

e- can't find Hypocrites

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 27, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm not a fan of The 400 Blows or Touch of Evil so maybe you'll like it.

However, I did just watch Small Change and liked it a lot.

Small Change - Every so often I'll see a lesser-known film that surprisingly seems to be superior to a directors well-knowns. This one covers the same sphere as The 400 Blows but doesn't come across nearly as trite to me. More ambition, more characters, more topics, more humor to name a few positives.

It's a return to adolescence and the world of kids. Many stories are told and the kids all get their moment to shine as the intertwined story plays out. Watching this really brought back the misgivings of school days.

There's too many characters to mention but the subject of child abuse is covered by a kid who lives in a shack who's tortured by his mother (possibly grandmother as well). So it's not all about comedy.

There's also a tense scene where a toddler is dangling out a highrise window chasing a cat and actually falls out but lands just right so that he's not seriously injured. Those kids sure are precocious and resilient.

Also watched:

Marathon Man - For the first hour scenes kept oscillating between Babe (Dustin Hoffman) in NYC and Doc (Roy Scheider) in Paris. The viewer is kept in the dark as to what's going on and how things will be connected. Eventually we learn that Babe and Doc know each other and then we learn they're brothers.

This is one of those proverbial "mixed bags." There were a handful of segments I liked and there were a handful of segments I thought were silly and detrimental. I found the villain (Laurence Olivier) more tepid and impotent than menacing for the most part.

The premise? Very interesting.
The overarching plot? Fabricated.
The climax? Unintentionally funny.
The ending? Unsatisfying.

Procrastination (119 completed):

#122 Prometheus - The thread for this reached 432 pages so it must provoke discussion. 3/22/14

new #123 The Cranes are Flying - Heard this was good. 3/31/14

new #124 The Wolf of Wall Street - Haven't had a strong desire to watch this. Is it mostly impotent lampooning of rich criminals doing zany things? 3/31/14

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - A film without Sean Connery. 3/25/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (38/46 completed):

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo, watch 3 Women. It's easily in my all-time Top 20.

All About Eve was excellent. I love how subtlety it lets on that something is off. Bette Davis was amazing, and the way that Anne Baxter perfectly copies her in the final scene completely sums up Eve as a character.

My List:

The Lady Eve (1941) - I picked up the book "Cinematic Mythmaking" by Irving Singer because it looked really good. However, the essays in it tend to focus on single films and this is one of them. I'd like to go through a few of them before I crack into the book. (Added 7/31/2013)

The Beaver Trilogy (2001) - We were supposed to show this at the theater I work at with the director in person, but it got cancelled for whatever reason. Anyway, since finding out about it my interest is peaked. Technically three films in one. (Added 12/17/2013)

Black Jesus (1968) - But what about Black Santa? :haw: (Added 12/17/2013)

Damnation (1988) - I've never seen a Béla Tarr film. I know Werckmeister Harmonies is the favorite, but something about this one is calling me. (Added 12/21/2013)

Grey Gardens (1975) - Everything I've heard about this makes it sound absolutely insane. Gimme Shelter is one of my favorite documentaries so I should see some more stuff by the Maysles. (Added 12/24/2013)

Fort Apache (1948) - The first in John Ford's Calvary trilogy. (Added 1/2/2014)

King Boxer: Five Fingers of Death (1972) - Getting more into classic Kung Fu. Also, this is apparently one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies. (Added 2/7/2014)

Night and Fog (1955) - Time to feel sad. (Added 2/14/2014)

Playtime (1967) - Is this an alright jumping in point for Tati? (Added 3/11/2014)

Zardoz (1974) - Guns. Penises. One of them is good and the other's bad, but I don't remember which is which. (Added 4/5/2014)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up; Begotten; The Goddess; The Apartment; Hell's Angels; All About Eve (TOTAL: 80)

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 5, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Go with Night and Fog.

I did not care much for Touch of Evil. I don't know I can really point to one thing, but the whole package together was so-so. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention, but the story seem unnecessarily complicated at times.

5. Young Mr. Lincoln
6. Eyes without a face -
7. The Fog of War - It's been on my 'to watch' list for a while. I have heard it's good.
9. Gaslight-
10. Nashville

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Jesus, Caligari, talk about not giving us much to go on. Not only is your review bereft of details - most of the things on your list don't even have a sentence! But whatever, check out La Strada.

Not quite sure how to evaluate Gone With the Wind. There's great stuff and there's bad stuff. A lot of it is really pretty, and Scarlett and Rhett are both pretty interesting, as characters go, and for a four hour movie it didn't really drag, but on the other hand a lot of it (particularly the dialog and plotting) was pretty by-the-numbers and racism is never a ton of fun. So it's hard to know what I think about it. I'm glad I watched it (although I'm not glad it took four hours...) but I'm not sure I'd ever watch it again. Moreover, if I ever do watch it again, I'm not sure if my opinion of it is going to go up or down or sideways. Part of me wonders how much of it needed to be there - I think if it had been ruthlessly cut, what was left would've had a bit more heft, and maybe wouldn't have felt rote, given that it would've been all we got rather than just another step in the plot.

1) The Battleship Potemkin (1925) - Needs no introduction. I need to see all these awesome ooolllld movies.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - Another Wilder film.

4) Electra (1962) - I saw Kakogiannis' Iphigenia and loved it, so more Greek tragedy is just what the doctor ordered.

5) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

6) Scenes from a Marriage (1973) - Marriage! Who doesn't love it, am I right?

7) Time of the Gypsies (1988) - What is the time of the Gypsies? Is it the 80s?

8) Trust (1990) - I know nothing of this movie but I trust it will be good.

9) Magnolia (1999) - I thought I planned to keep a Paul Thomas Anderson movie on this list until I had finished them all, but at some point I didn't have any, so here's this one.

10) Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - In honor of thegloaming's post right above the post where I'm first adding this to my list, here is a movie released recently. People always pick the really new movies on my list so I'm tempting fate by seeing how long this will last. I like Kathryn Bigelow's other stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), 2001: A Space Odyssey (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), In the Mood for Love (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), The Royal Tenenbaums (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), The Big Sleep (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Female Trouble (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), The Lost Weekend (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Hard Eight (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), Gone With the Wind (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Heh.. Sorry. I'll try a bit harder :effort:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

Heh.. Sorry. I'll try a bit harder :effort:

Eh, I don't think you should try harder if you don't want to. Everyone uses this thread for different reasons. I do think, though, that people do generally enjoy seeing how and why people watch movies. It's something I've become more interested in as I've grown up a bit. By default, if you're participating in this thread in any context the assumption is you have some kind of passion for movies and watching them. That last post didn't really convey much of that, hence the questioning. I'm certainly curious myself and even when I still have an assignment to finish, I love checking this thread in my down time at work and reading about how the posters have felt about movies that they've finished. Having said that, do it how you want to do it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I know what Tycho was saying, this thread really wouldn't be much if every post was paper thin. I have to admit with some movies , such as Touch of Evil which I watched last, had me a little lost and bored as it went on. To give it a decent review I would really need a second watch, which I'm really not willing to do. I also tend to watch movies late at night, so that when the movie finishes I am eager to get my next film selected and move on with it.

At first I was listing some movies I really didn't want to see, but felt I needed to, which I think is a beginners mistake.

I like this thread and will keep trucking, with more content .

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

9) Magnolia (1999) - I thought I planned to keep a Paul Thomas Anderson movie on this list until I had finished them all, but at some point I didn't have any, so here's this one.

Try this next.

3 Women - Millie, Willie and Pinky are three women and that's about the only thing I'm 100% sure of after watching this. At first I was getting a Single White Female vibe from Pinky as she was a little aloof and slowly becoming obsessed with (and started assimilating) Millie's persona but she's not trying to do harm. The music here really sets an ominous and dissonant tone. It adds nervousness to scenes that would otherwise be very ordinary.

I've seen four Altman films now and it's becoming clear that he doesn't play by the rules. The ones I've seen have had a rebellious approach in them. Big events are consistently followed by mundane happenings demonstrating that life never stops moving. There's humor injected into places where it normally wouldn't be (Millie's dress constantly getting stuck in the car door). Another uniqueness is his characters (from minor to major) seem particularly obstinate in their behavior. Even when they evolve they still seem hardheaded in their new role.

The confusion between the three women (particularly Willie) did remind me of the short story The Yellow Wallpaper.

PS I usually like unexpected appearances and Dennis Christopher makes one as the Soda Delivery Boy near the end.

Procrastination (119 completed):

#123 The Cranes are Flying - Heard this was good. 3/31/14

#124 The Wolf of Wall Street - Haven't had a strong desire to watch this. Is it mostly impotent lampooning of rich criminals doing zany things? 3/31/14

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - A film without Sean Connery. 3/25/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (39/46 completed):

new 1973 Cries and Whispers - Heard of it but unfamiliar with it. 4/7/14

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo, see On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It is a very underrated Bond movie. Lazenby does a good job as Bond in his first film. Unfortunately, it was his only one.

Enter the Dragon just oozes the 70's. Lots of good action and scenery. The fighting choreography was great. Bruce Lee did a very good job. Too bad he didn't make more movies before he died.

My List:
Patton - George C. Scott is a very underrated actor. Was great in The Hustler and A Christmas Carol.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

The Great Dictator - Time to get back to Chaplin.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

Horse Feathers - Time for another Marx Brothers movie.

Despicable Me

The Bad Sleep Well - Having just seen Kurosawa's version of MacBeth, his version of Hamlet is next.

The King and I - 1956 version.

The Wolf Man - Next in my monster movie queue.

The Man Who Knew Too Much - More Hitchcock here. This will be the remake with Jimmy Stewart.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch Horse Feathers because it's pretty cool and because I briefly thought that said Heathers which is also a good movie.

I love how Magnolia is basically Anderson just putting whatever he wants in a movie, or something. There are so many little references packed into so many frames that the surreality just keeps building and building, and then when you finally get the tipping point/release, the synchronized singing, it all comes to a beautiful boil and the next thing you know frogs are raining from the sky and it just won't let up. I guess the movie could lose you at that point but honestly I'll take my tremendously-acted melodrama with a heaping helping of the absurd any time it's offered to me, especially when it's this well done. The camera's energy and the soundtrack that helpfully disappears sometimes to lend gravity to the movie made the three hours fly by.

I'm in a slightly weird part of my life right now, and I'm thinking about death a lot, so I think maybe I liked this movie even more than I might've otherwise. I do think that it does the ensemble cast thing better than Boogie Nights (which is a little unfair, because I think it's more obviously about the ensemble cast than Boogie Nights is), and I really appreciate that. Tom Cruise is majestic here but really so is everyone else.

1) The Battleship Potemkin (1925) - Needs no introduction. I need to see all these awesome ooolllld movies.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

4) Electra (1962) - I saw Kakogiannis' Iphigenia and loved it, so more Greek tragedy is just what the doctor ordered.

9) Dead Man (1995) - I've seen some later Jarmusch (Broken Flowers and Sling Blade) and I hear his earlier stuff is even better.

10) Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - In honor of thegloaming's post right above the post where I'm first adding this to my list, here is a movie released recently. People always pick the really new movies on my list so I'm tempting fate by seeing how long this will last. I like Kathryn Bigelow's other stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), 2001: A Space Odyssey (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), In the Mood for Love (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Magnolia (88), The Royal Tenenbaums (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), The Big Sleep (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Female Trouble (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), The Lost Weekend (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Hard Eight (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), Gone With the Wind (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Even though I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on Zero Dark Thirty, I couldn't possibly pass up the chance to recommend Battleship Potemkin. Enjoy.

---

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

What little I knew about The Passion before actually watching it sounded very intriguing. A film about Joan of Arc without any battle scenes (well, almost) and a courtroom drama without any spoken dialogue? I wasn't quite sure how well this would actually work, but then part of the fun of this thread is being proven wrong in your expectations and expanding your horizon. In Joan of Arc's case the limitations of the silent film are turned into an advantage by putting the focus on the non-verbal communication. What matters isn't so much the actual dialogue as the characters' reactions to it. A lot of the time we don't know the exact words spoken, but the intended meaning is still conveyed through facial expressions and gestures.

As a result this is a very character-driven film, perhaps more so than any other I've seen. There are no long shots until the very end and most of the running time is spent in barren rooms. The camera sticks as close to the characters as possible, often uncomfortably so. Accordingly, a large part of the film's quality is due to its actors, most notably lead actress Renée Falconetti, whose performance is unlike anything I've seen. The closest equivalent I can think of is Peter Lorre's perfomance during the trial in M. Her eyes are full of pain and longing, always looking past the camera at something only she seems to see. There's such a strong conviction in everything she does or says, it's easy to believe that she really was chosen by God.

There are a lot of films which show the main character going through painful ordeals, but the amazing perfomances and the intimate directing style make this a very personal affair. You share Joan's pain at every step along the way, you admire her bravery, and her demise leaves you both disturbed because it's so horrible and relieved because her (and your) suffering is finally over. It's a powerful experience and I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't be touched by it in some way.

I should point out that I watched the Criterion version of the film, which comes with a new soundtrack that wasn't part of the original recording. I quite like it overall, though it does come across as a bit too dominating in parts. I prefer it when a film soundtrack is used to accentuate key scenes and enhance the mood, rather than stand out by itself. I also could have done with a bit less singing, though that's mostly a personal preference and there's no denying that the chorus fits in well with the religious themes.

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

3. Shane (1953) - Slowly making my way through the classic studio westerns.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

6. 1776 (1972) - I'm not American, but I do enjoy a good musical.

7. Scarface (1932) - I know the remake, but I've never seen the 1932 version.

8. (new) Broken Blossoms (1919) - More good stuff from the Silent Film thread.

9. Wizards (1977) - Any Bakshi film really, but this one has the most interesting premise.

10. Ran (1985) - I'll take any opportunity to see more Kurosawa.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960), Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972), Tangled (2010), Stagecoach (1939), City Lights (1931), The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 12, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's amazing how a film from 1928 can have one of the greatest performances ever - one viewing and she's burned indelibly in your brain.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out Shane.

I quite liked Battleship Potemkin. A few things:

The movie is super pretty. Some of the shots that are really effective are ones where some part of the frame is static and looming and another part is in motion, like some shots of the city while the crowd is surging through it, full of deep shadows on the bridge overhead, or a shot through a series of pillars showing ships sailing through the water, or the various interesting angles the battleship is shot from while sailors surge through it. I also liked how a lot of the time the movie would have things in the foreground almost as close as they could get, including one of the barrels of a gun on the ship poking out from our face into the shot, or men who constantly run from just behind us or just to our sides straight into the frame. Finally, there are the really compelling shots of the ship's engine in motion, or the mess tables swaying, or the guy walking around among the hammocks with all the sailors, moving in and out of our site. And the famous scene on the steps.

As far as propaganda goes, it seems less like it's heavy handed and more like it's just super well made. I mean, sure, the part on the steps is apparently mostly fabricated, so in terms of the plot maybe it's a little manipulative, but I never felt sleazily manipulated, like I was being coerced into feeling compassion or pride or anything, the way I do when I watch something like Gone with the Wind which is clearly stacking the deck. To me this movie felt more like The Battle of Algiers, which is famously even-handed, not because this movie showed all sides of the story (although I'm not super sure how many sides there are to this one) but because for all the work it went through to make people look good or to make things feel noble, all those moments seemed earned to me (just by virtue of what was going on). Maybe I'm just a leftist.

The guy who randomly shouted "get the Jews!" or something like that who then got beat down gave me a laugh, especially since I was feeling a bit wound up from the latest person who actually got the Jews.

1) Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - This replaces Battleship Potemkin - I must see all the old classic Russian silent famous films.

9) Dead Man (1995) - I've seen some later Jarmusch (Broken Flowers and Sling Blade) and I hear his earlier stuff is even better.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), 2001: A Space Odyssey (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), In the Mood for Love (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Magnolia (88), The Royal Tenenbaums (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Battleship Potemkin (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), The Big Sleep (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Female Trouble (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), The Lost Weekend (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Hard Eight (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), Gone With the Wind (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, five months later, geez. TychoCelchuuu watch Dead Man. I am not sure if you're a stupid loving white man, but it's quite possible.

So, Seven Samurai:

Obviously a seminal film. I find it hard to watch older movies sometimes, and at the beginning the obvious bald wigs everyone was wearing sort of put me off. That soon passed and I eventually got into the movie. Mifune was probably my favourite thing about the film. A part of me wishes I could have started with movies like this, and moved forward with the refinements in cinematography and choreography. It just makes it harder for me to appreciate movies like this from my current perspective. I did quite enjoy it, however.
8/10

I also checked off Saving Private Ryan during my 5 month hiatus from the thread:

I just don't like Tom Hanks very much. The movie was clearly well done, and Tom Hanks did a decent job, but I just don't like him. Maybe it's irrational. I did like the rest of the cast for the most part. Lots of actors that have gone on to be mainstays. It's also hard not to compare this to The Thin Red Line, which I enjoyed so much more.
7.5/10

2) 12 Angry Men (1957) - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

5) City of God (2002) - Seen part of it. I feel like that is a bad habit I have.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

7) It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Oh god, another old-timey movie.

8) Rear Window (1954) - I've only seen a couple by Hitchcock.

9) Psycho (1960) - See #8

10) Sunset Blvd. (1950) - A noir film. Like French black.

11) City Lights (1931) - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

13) Life Is Beautiful (1997) - I remember seeing advertisements for this movie all the time on VHS movies. Surprisingly never on my radar as a 12 year old kid.

14) The Intouchables (2011) - This will sound ridiculous (more ridiculous than my other comments), but I just couldn't get over the cover for this movie. It seems so happy. It bothers me. I've heard it's a really good movie, from many people.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tsyni posted:

9) Psycho (1960) - See #8

Try this one next.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - This one had some familiar plot conventions (unfamiliar for the series though). I found most of the action to be on par with earlier entries except here I felt like I was watching an advertisement for the Winter Olympic Games. Some of the effects (particularly the skiing scenes) appeared dated.

Bond has some of his usual blunders and him getting married on his own accord was the biggest surprise of all. He seems to have amnesia here as he goes rogue by making alliances with questionable groups. Then he becomes monogamous for a short while with the headstrong countess (Tracy) until her surprising death just before the credits. Until now Bond had always ended with a victory lap rather than a defeat.

Ernst Blofeld is turning out to be the most annoying Bond villain by far. He always escapes to live another day (and be played by another actor). His mastermind plan is more on the silly side of the spectrum compared to some of his predecessors. It's almost a parody of the The Manchurian Candidate.

The addition of a Louis Armstrong song playing while Bond goes on dates with Tracy exemplifies how this film felt a little different from the others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxRDTfzgpU

Also watched:

The Black Stallion - The first half fits in well with the typical young-adult wilderness survival novels I've read like The Cay and Hatchet or similarly with the recent Life of Pi except here there isn't much allegory, exposition, preaching, dialogue or anything else. It's just about survival, the island scenery and the bonding of a boy and a horse in the aftermath of a shipwreck.

This bonding is such a strong focal point that even after the rescue the rest of the already small cast (mainly Teri Garr and Mickey Rooney) seems like it's on the cursory and nearly irrelevant.

I might've been amazed with this one as a youngster. In fact the storytelling and pictures are so basic, methodical and boilerpate that it seems like a great starting point for someone being introduced to live-action films. It's pure movie with seemingly no baggage or pretext.

Prometheus - I see why that thread went 432 pages before being closed as it lends itself to open interpretation. There's some good things but I think many will be (and were) frustrated with the final product especially with the references to the 1979 monumental masterpiece.

I liked the costumes, atmosphere, holograms, ambiguity and the general aesthetic. However, I found the characterization and opening premise to be cripplingly detracting and distracting. Every year I appreciate 2001: A Space Odyssey a little more for the sanity of its two main characters. Many recent space exploration-related films have been filled to the brim with ornery and violent idiots. The selection of dozens of disinterested strangers (even upon embarking) with a project budget in the trillions was another oddity. This one really triggered one of my primary pet peeves and hang-ups.

I've seen smarter characters in slasher films. They're on a science expedition and the main "true believer" is staring glumly at a pool table while two others are exploring in the alien spaceship? These don't seem like doctors or scientists and so many things going on within the flow of their actions make it seem that year 2093 humans have devolved. These insufferable characters stick out like a sore thumb ruining scene after scene. They're stuck in stilted roles. They're on the cusp of discovering the next layer of the origins of life, the deepest existential questions but are quibbling over superficial conflicts and other pablum. Where's the solemnity? The prison inmates of Alien³ seemed more resourceful and cohesive than these jokesters.

Now that I've gotten that long (and possibly common) rant out of the way. The surviving engineer sees the humans as annoying nuisances and lower on the food chain. The old man gets conked on the head and seems to become a nihilist in his last moments of life. Perhaps the engineer sleeping 2,000 years made him a little cranky and it may've been premature to draw those existential conclusions.

I suppose the story could be taken as an allegory concerning the danger of certain knowledge or trying to cheat death. I could type more but this seems like the most analyzed film of the last couple years. I've heard there will be a sequel and maybe Shaw and David (if they aren't regarded as annoying bugs to be squashed) will find more engineers who may be on their own futile quest to discover their creator.

PS I want a Med-Pod.

Procrastination (120 completed):

#123 The Cranes are Flying - Heard this was good. 3/31/14

#124 The Wolf of Wall Street - Haven't had a strong desire to watch this. Is it mostly impotent lampooning of rich criminals doing zany things? 3/31/14

new #125 Swades - Don't know what this is about but it's on the IMDb top 250 and on Netflix instant. 4/17/14

new #126 Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War - Something about the Korean War. 4/17/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (40/46 completed):

1973 Cries and Whispers - Heard of it but unfamiliar with it. 4/7/14

new 1971 The Last Picture Show - I know this is hailed. 4/17/14

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

new 1971 The Last Picture Show - I know this is hailed. 4/17/14

I don't normally go with the newest entry, but this great film is still fresh in my head from a few months back. Enjoy!

Le Doulos
This was about as much fun from a good brain exercise as you're ever gonna get. You really do need to pay 100% attention to Le Doulos. It's filled with great noir style, both in apparel and camerawork, complex captivating characters, and a plot that twists and turns like hardly anything else I've seen before. Melville is quickly becoming one of my favourite directors.

LIST

Akira **new** (2014.04.18) - finally got my hands on a blu-ray copy and can't wait to finally see it.

Amour (2014.02.22) - I've had two festival opportunities squandered due to film print damage. I've waited long enough!

Barry Lyndon (2014.03.11) - someone once told me it was boring and I should skip it... I've heard too much of the contrary ever since.

A Few Good Men (2014.03.13) - I haven't been able to handle the truth until now.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add now.

It Happened One Night (2014.01.05) - all I know is that it's the first movie to win all 5 big Oscar categories.

Jack Goes Boating (2014.02.17) - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing to make his only directorial effort a higher priority.. for me, pretty drat shameful.

Lone Star **oldest** (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

Million Dollar Baby (2014.03.08) - the most recent Best Picture winner I've yet to watch.

The Player (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), [Total:67]

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
friendo55 watch Million Dollar Baby.

So, Psycho:

More tense than modern day thrillers. Anthony Perkins gives a great performance. Now I finally understand all the references to The Bates Motel and Norman Bates. I was somehow oblivious to the ending, which was a nice surprise. I can imagine that this was a fairly daring film for its time, but it's hard for me to factor that into my appreciation of it. It was still very much enjoyed.
8/10

2) 12 Angry Men (1957) - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

5) City of God (2002) - Seen part of it. I feel like that is a bad habit I have.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

10) Sunset Blvd. (1950) - A noir film. Like French black.

11) City Lights (1931) - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

13) Life Is Beautiful (1997) - I remember seeing advertisements for this movie all the time on VHS movies. Surprisingly never on my radar as a 12 year old kid.

14) The Intouchables (2011) - This will sound ridiculous (more ridiculous than my other comments), but I just couldn't get over the cover for this movie. It seems so happy. It bothers me. I've heard it's a really good movie, from many people.

15) Modern Times (1936) - Vaguely dreading having two Charlie Chaplin movies on this list, but maybe I have nothing to worry about.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey Tsyni, about the two Chaplin films on your list, I've got a question. Have you seen any Buster Keaton? He's definitely just as "important" and as far as I'm concerned his movies are some of the best that I've seen from this thread. Just a recommendation if you happen to be interested in the silent stuff.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tsyni, it was a tough pick because you've got so many great films on your list, but go with Sunset Blvd.

Night and Fog made me want to reread Eli Wiesel's Night, which I last read when I was in 7th grade (roughly 10 years ago or so). It's over almost as soon as it begins, but it draws you in. It feels a bit like a news reel at times, a style which I think is chosen deliberately. The detached monotone of the narrator seems to underline the grotesqueness of the holocaust.

My List:

They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? Top 1000:

Andrei Rublev (1966) - It's been awhile since I watched a Tarkovsky. I liked Stalker and Solaris a lot but didn't connect too deeply with either. (Added 4/19/2014)

Personal To-See List:

The Lady Eve (1941) - I picked up the book "Cinematic Mythmaking" by Irving Singer because it looked really good. However, the essays in it tend to focus on single films and this is one of them. I'd like to go through a few of them before I crack into the book. (Added 7/31/2013)

The Beaver Trilogy (2001) - We were supposed to show this at the theater I work at with the director in person, but it got cancelled for whatever reason. Anyway, since finding out about it my interest is peaked. Technically three films in one. (Added 12/17/2013)

Black Jesus (1968) - But what about Black Santa? :haw: (Added 12/17/2013)

Damnation (1988) - I've never seen a Béla Tarr film. I know Werckmeister Harmonies is the favorite, but something about this one is calling me. (Added 12/21/2013)

Grey Gardens (1975) - Everything I've heard about this makes it sound absolutely insane. Gimme Shelter is one of my favorite documentaries so I should see some more stuff by the Maysles. (Added 12/24/2013)

Fort Apache (1948) - The first in John Ford's Calvary trilogy. (Added 1/2/2014)

King Boxer: Five Fingers of Death (1972) - Getting more into classic Kung Fu. Also, this is apparently one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies. (Added 2/7/2014)

Playtime (1967) - Is this an alright jumping in point for Tati? (Added 3/11/2014)

Zardoz (1974) - Guns. Penises. One of them is good and the other's bad, but I don't remember which is which. (Added 4/5/2014)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up; Begotten; The Goddess; The Apartment; Hell's Angels; All About Eve; Night and Fog (TOTAL: 81)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

TrixRabi- Try Grey Gardens.

So, La Strada. Gelsomina's positiveity just radiates from her, despite her living conditions and situations. It made me think of several people I have known in real life who experienced similar things, but always remained so positive.

It also made me think about how people talk about "the good old days", when many times they were anything but. Overall a great movie that I had underestimated, but also maybe the most realistic love story I have seen.

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson, is this a good starting point?
5. Young Mr. Lincoln - I don't know if I have been disappointed by a John Ford movie yet.
6. Eyes without a face - I needed some horror on this list
7. The Fog of War - In the midst of negative reviews of the Donald Rumsfield movie, I heard this one was actually good.
8. Red River - The return of the western slot to my list!
9. Gaslight- Something about movies from the 40's that I love, and this one seems very '40s'.
10.Nashville- Truthfully the trailer has me a little worried about this one..I don't do well with overly complicated movies.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 20, 2014

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

Hey Tsyni, about the two Chaplin films on your list, I've got a question. Have you seen any Buster Keaton? He's definitely just as "important" and as far as I'm concerned his movies are some of the best that I've seen from this thread. Just a recommendation if you happen to be interested in the silent stuff.

I am not necessarily interested in the silent stuff, but I am curious. I haven't seen any of it. I guess it's unclear, but I am just going through the IMDB top 250 and watching the ones I haven't seen. I'll definitely keep that in mind, though.

Dr. Caligari, I am a big fan of Wes Anderson, but I think Life Aquatic isn't his strongest movie. I still liked it. I guess it depends where you want to start. My favourites are Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom (I haven't seen The Grand Budapest Hotel, yet). You must watch The Fog of War, however.

So, Sunset Blvd.:

I loved it. I am a massive fan of neo-noir, and so it makes sense I would enjoy what came before. It's always nice to finally understand references I've heard many times. Near the end I was starting to feel things slump just a tiny bit, but those feelings were erased after the final scene. Great stuff.
9/10

15) Modern Times (1936) - Vaguely dreading having two Charlie Chaplin movies on this list, but maybe I have nothing to worry about.

16) The Pianist (2002) - I've had this movie for so long, and I just have never gotten around to seeing it.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Tsyni posted:

It was tough to choose but felt this was absolutely necessary. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Million Dollar Baby
This felt like I could've told you the plot summary without even seeing it and I wouldn't have been too far off. Well, for the most part that happened - and it got even worse when the third act began. Piling on the melodrama and unnecessary developments left a bad taste in my mouth. And good god does Morgan Freeman have to narrate everything?? It's a good thing the performances themselves were all pretty great, and credit to Hilary Swank for getting into the shape she did.

LIST

Akira (2014.04.18) - finally got my hands on a blu-ray copy and can't wait to finally see it.

Amour (2014.02.22) - I've had two festival opportunities squandered due to film print damage. I've waited long enough!

Barry Lyndon (2014.03.11) - someone once told me it was boring and I should skip it... I've heard too much of the contrary ever since.

Dr. Strangelove **new** (2014.04.20) - is this the most shameful of all? I had watched half of it a while back.. time to fix that.

A Few Good Men (2014.03.13) - I haven't been able to handle the truth until now.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add around this time of year.

It Happened One Night (2014.01.05) - all I know is that it's the first movie to win all 5 big Oscar categories.

Jack Goes Boating (2014.02.17) - it took Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing to make his only directorial effort a higher priority.. for me, pretty drat shameful.

Lone Star **oldest** (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), [Total:68]

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

friendo55 posted:

Akira (2014.04.18) - finally got my hands on a blu-ray copy and can't wait to finally see it.

Enjoy.

---

Shane

There's a lot to talk about with Shane. For starters, it's extremely well-made. There are a lot of beautiful landscape shots mixed with effective close-ups. The sets are intricate and provide a nice contrast between the green fertile farms and the brown, dusty town. There are good perfomances all across the board and the final confrontation is fantastic, not only because of how tense it is by itself, but because it perfectly culminates the tension that's been running throughout the entire film. Another thing I appreciated is that the film makes guns feel genuinely dangerous. Every gunshot sounds like a cannon going off and the effects are always extremely deadly. There's a degree of fear and respect towards guns that you don't see very often nowadays. It reminds me of Kurosawa's work, particularly Yojimbo.

However, what makes Shane truly remarkable for me is the way it depicts the Old West as an idyllic ideal. When I watch a Leone I never get the impression that the West is a particularly hospitable place. Its inhabitants survive, but their existence is drab and full of fear. The only people who thrive in this environment are the gunfighters. Leone depicts the West as a brutal and unforgiving land where only the amoral can truly realize themselves. Shane on the other hand spends a lot of time showing the West as a true land of opportunity, a place where men can be free to pursue their dreams and fulfil their ambitions. The simple life of a farmer is presented as Heaven on earth, a platonic ideal of happiness. The beauty of the surrounding landscape, the joyful and unburdened celebration of the fourth of July and even something as mundane as finally removing an old tree stump all contribute to this impression.

At the same time the film fully realizes the problems inherent in the anarchist ideal it presents. In absence of official law structures the power is held by a group of gunfighters, who assert their dominance through violence. The farmers are now presented with a seemingly unsolvable situation. They could run away and leave the land to the gunfighters, but then they would give up the very ideal they've strived for. Their other option is to fight, but that would mean giving up their ideals as well. Even if they were to survive the battle they would lose the innocence that allows them to lead such happy lives.

At the end Shane remarks "There's no living with a killing. There's no going back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand, a brand sticks." A lot of Westerns (and a lot of films in general) carry the implicit assumption that killing is a good act as long as it's justified. Shane explicitly rejects that notion. A killing may be justified, but it can never be good. Taking someone's life, even when done with noble intentions, is always a sin. In that sense Shane's triumphant moment, the final shootout, is also his ultimate sacrifice. He knows that by going against the villains he can no longer live among the farmers. There's no place for a gunfighter in paradise. There's a strong Christian undercurrent to the idea of a man taking on the sins of others so they can remain innocent.

What's brilliant is how we get to see these events through the eyes of a young boy, whose conception of good and bad clashes with the harsh reality we see on-screen. Joey's views represent the classic Western, the story of good guys with guns triumphing over bad guys with guns. His fascination with Shane's gunfighting abilities comes across as creepy, but it's no different from the way we as a society idolize action heroes. Shane's ending shows the limitations of this black-and-white approach and pleads for a more nuanced view. The film isn't saying that violence is never a solution, but it does say that violence is not an admirable solution, and I can respect it for that.

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

3. (new) High Noon (1952) - Slowly making my way through the classic studio westerns.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Patton (1970) - With Coppola in his prime writing the script this is almost guaranteed to be great.

6. 1776 (1972) - I'm not American, but I do enjoy a good musical.

7. Scarface (1932) - I know the remake, but I've never seen the 1932 version.

8. Broken Blossoms (1919) - More good stuff from the Silent Film thread.

9. Wizards (1977) - Any Bakshi film really, but this one has the most interesting premise.

10. Ran (1985) - I'll take any opportunity to see more Kurosawa.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963), Psycho (1960), Mad Max (1979), Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972), Tangled (2010), Stagecoach (1939), City Lights (1931), The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), Shane (1953)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Have you seen a lot of classic westerns? You're definitely spot on about Leone. The west of spaghetti westerns is mean and deformed. American westerns are typically the way we view ourselves, making foreign westerns the way other countries view America. Although, when you come to High Noon, I think you'll see the genesis of Leone's west in that film (as well as in The Searchers, another American film with a critical take on the Old West).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

TrixRabbi posted:

Have you seen a lot of classic westerns?

The only studio Westerns I've seen are Stagecoach, Rio Bravo, Johnny Guitar, The Magnificent Seven and now Shane. Most of my exposure to the genre comes from Leone, Eastwood, newer stuff from the 90s onwards and the classic Eurowesterns (Winnetou and its offspring). The latter ones are those I grew up with so they're usually what I refer to as classic Westerns, though as you rightfully point out they look at the west from a European perspective, so they amplify the foreign and mythical aspects of the setting a bit more.

I try to always have one studio Western on my list, because I'm interested in seeing how the genre started and evolved. Speaking of the "classic" Western as if it was a monolithic unit is perhaps a mistake, since the few I've seen all have a very unique feel to them.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

There's plenty of B-Movie Westerns that are cheap low-effort jobs that go into that "monolithic unit" you're getting at. But the best ones all have their own identities and views of the world and the west. It's a very rich genre that a lot of young people nowadays seem to write off because they just assume it's nothing but John Wayne killing Indians. Couldn't be further from the truth.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

This is a film I also want to see, so I'll live through you for the time being! Enjoy.

Akira
"That was f*cking incredible...." was about all I could say once the credits rolled regarding this animated masterpiece. The scope and ambition is near indescribable, the depth and realism of this dystopian city of Tokyo is constantly jaw-dropping, and I can only see this getting better on repeated viewings.

LIST

Barry Lyndon (2014.03.11) - someone once told me it was boring and I should skip it. I've heard too much of the contrary ever since.

Dr. Strangelove (2014.04.20) - is this the most shameful of all? I had watched half of it a while back - time to fix that.

A Few Good Men (2014.03.13) - I haven't been able to handle the truth until now.. wow that was lame.

Holiday (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add around this time of year.

Playtime **new** (2014.04.21) - long overdue and really enjoyed the only other Tati film I've watched, M. Hulot's Holiday.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), Akira (5/5), [Total:69]

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Shane the movie is a lot more critical of violence than Shane the book (which is also great), and I've always suspected it's because the director was part of the liberating force at Dachau. Hard to find a filmmaker who had closer contact with death. You're spot on about the gunfire, too, it was achieved by firing a cannon in a trashcan.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

penismightier posted:

You're spot on about the gunfire, too, it was achieved by firing a cannon in a trashcan.

Hah, that's amazing. Are there any decent books on the development of sound effects and the like? I've often wondered how some sounds were done in older films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know if this applies much elsewhere but I recall that the sound effects for Spartacus were done reel-by-reel. A group of sound people with a wealth of noise-making instruments would be gathered in a room with a screen and they would record the effects to match the action on the screen. If they hosed up at some point they'd have to start the whole ten-minute reel all over again.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Go with your oldest.. Lone Star

About Fog of War.. I have to say McNamara opened up more than I expected, but he is slick. You can tell he is in control of the 'interview' at all times, and like he says toward the end of the movie, "You never answer the question asked to you, you answer the question you want asked of you".

To be a main cog in a machine that has killed 100's of thousands, I just can't comprehend. I mean the cruel things one solider does has led many to take there life, and there 'body counts' are most certainly a fraction of a bombing run.

I noticed McNamara places blame on the president and General Lemay quite often, and compartmentalizes things away. There has to be times when he is alone that he says to himself "What have I done?. And I think we can see this when he acknowledges that he indeed has done things that would classify him as a war criminal.

3. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrance - Know nothing about this, but it is a Criterion release and sounds interesting enough.
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Never seen any Anderson, is this a good starting point?
5. Young Mr. Lincoln - I don't know if I have been disappointed by a John Ford movie yet.
6. Eyes without a face - I needed some horror on this list
7. Fort Apache - I'm stealing this one from TrixRabbi's list
8. Red River - The return of the western slot to my list!
9. Gaslight- Something about movies from the 40's that I love, and this one seems very '40s'.
10.Nashville- Truthfully the trailer has me a little worried about this one..I don't do well with overly complicated movies.

Seen: Rio Bravo, Days of Heaven, Hoop Dreams, The Exterminating Angel, Hopscotch, Letter Never Sent, Stagecoach(1939), I shot Jesse James, The Trial, The Wild Bunch, Man Bites Dog, The Pianist, Viridiana, Badlands. Aliens, Easy Rider, Paris Texas, The 400 Blows, Touch of Evil, La Strada, Fog of War

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch Gaslight.

Dead Man reminds me of a video game I played recently, Betrayer. They're both eerie black and white horror experiences about death in the wilderness. Also this movie is really good. From the crazy metal factory in the middle of the stereotypical Western movie set I was hooked, and the constant fades to black lend the movie something like a rhythmic heartbeat, especially since they come on so strong in the opening, synchronized with the music fading in and out and so on. As with Magnolia a few weeks ago, movies about death are definitely resonating with me, so I'm glad I watched this right now.

This film reminds me of Aguirre: The Wrath of God and Apocalypse Now, even before it gets to the actual river. The melancholy, doomed tone, and the constant movement, and the unclear goal... where this differs from those two is that William Blake has a tie to something eternal to him, his poet self, and also the instigator and driver of the journey isn't the protagonist, but rather the local accompanying the protagonist. These two shifts are really interesting, because while tonally the three movies have a lot in common, on the more nuanced level, Dead Man feels much more true to normal life. Aguirre and Apocalypse are about obsession and insanity - being driven beyond reason. In Dead Man, it's the banal that begins the journey and confusion, fatalism, lack of energy, and pursuit that drives the journey. Is there any better metaphor for the stuff that pushes and pulls us through our lives than the series of factors, both prosaic and shrouded, that cause William to keep on going?

1) Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - This replaces Battleship Potemkin - I must see all the old classic Russian silent famous films.

9) Amélie (2001) - I think I recall that this movie was all over the zeitgeist at some point but I managed to entirely miss it. The poster art and so on looks like it's a depressingly easy movie to imagine but I guess maybe it's better than it looks.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), 2001: A Space Odyssey (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), In the Mood for Love (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Magnolia (88), The Royal Tenenbaums (88), Dead Man (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Battleship Potemkin (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), The Big Sleep (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Female Trouble (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), The Lost Weekend (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Hard Eight (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), Gone With the Wind (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
TychoCelchuuu, watch Zulu.

So, Rear Window:

I thought this was great. My favourite Hitchcock so far next to Vertigo. This is the first time I've seen Grace Kelly, and she is beautiful, geez. Lots of stuff in this film I am assuming was fairly innovate for the time. I am sure there have been countless words that have extolled this movie better than I can. It was definitely very suspenseful, Hitchcock is obviously a master of it.
8.5/10

16) The Pianist (2002) - I've had this movie for so long, and I just have never gotten around to seeing it.

17) The Lives of Others (2006) - This is another movie I've considered watching countless times, but it's never really lined up for some reason. I don't know much about it.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.; Rear Window