Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

5) Make Way for Tomorrow - apparently the saddest film ever. Make me cry.

My favourite movie from the few I've watched on your list... enjoy!

Malcolm X
This was without question a Spike Lee joint (particuarly the warm colours & looking directly into the camera) - but the film's subject matter worked with him behind the camera. This was great, even while a tad cliche as most biopics are, and all the performances were top notch - particularly Denzel as Malcolm. But did it really need to be 3+ hours?? Maybe. I can't really think of any segments I'd take out, which is a testament to both the director and Malcolm the figure himself.

LIST
American Hustle (2015.10.19) - I'll replace Fincher's 'Dragon Tattoo with another lengthy modern film I'll never watch... unless I'm forced to here.

American Movie (2016.01.01) - I'll add a documentary to start the new year off, and it's one I've been meaning to see for years.

Farewell My Concubine (2016.04.13) - replacing with another long, foreign film that I won't watch unless told to here.

Gilda (2015.11.27) - I'll replace an early Rita Hayworth film with her most iconic.

Leaving Las Vegas **OLDEST** (2015.10.18) - I claim to be a big Nic Cage supporter, yet his Oscar-winner remains a blindspot. How shameful, right?

Marketa Lazarova **NEW** (2016.05.05) - best place to put a lengthy acclaimed film... I'll keep putting it off otherwise! I sound like a broken record.

Mister Roberts (2015.10.24) - James Cagney, Henry Fonda, William Powell, and Jack Lemmon ..... Why I haven't watched this yet is beyond me.

Nobody Knows (2016.04.23) - a 2+hr Kore-eda film that would be my 3rd film of his. Long overdue.

Rope (2016.04.13) - classic Hitchcock .... how have I not watched this yet?

Warrior (2016.01.17) - another IMDB Top 250 entry I've yet to watch... I'm glad I've waited as a Hardy/Edgerton film means more now.

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), [Total:122]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Once again I haven't seen any of the movies, so I'll suggest Warrior cause I am also mildly interested in seeing it.

Watched Seventh Seal. How do we deal with death, or Death, and how does it shape our life? Meeting a supernatural, omnipotent personification of death does nothing to alleviate the doubts of the knight who struggles with what he believes to be the absence of God and afterlife. He straight up refuses to draw a connection between Death and God, and throughout the movie keeps chasing religious epiphanies. Not even seeing the christian death cult processions allows him to make a conncetion. Meanwhile, the actor who actually knows God and Death exist due to his visions, and who leads a good Christian life is terrified of both D/death and the certainty afterlife. The squire, who straight up gives no fucks througout the movie is clearly shaken by the appearance of one supernatural entity, but pragmatically accepts it and has no fear of what comes next. Not sure what my point is, but I found it very interesting. The pre-apocalyptic world depicted in the movie (think the first Mad Max movie) really makes me wonder why not more movies are set during the Black Death. I was also struck with how much Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner resembles Max von Sydow, both whitish-blonde warriors playing chess because they want "more life, (god)father (Death). Also funny how unacknowledged Jof's complete lack of juggling skills goes.

Oh yeah in case it wasn't clear, I liked the movie.

Older Artsy Slot:The Holy Mountain. El Topo was really good so I have high expectations. Previously: Solaris
Thriller Slot: Basic Instinct. I remember this being treated like a serious movie, but it's a Verhoeven Hollywood movie, so I have my doubts.
Horror Slot: Suspiria: This looks so cool, and weird horror is the best.
Western Slot: Pale Rider. Clint Eastwood, presumably pale, on a horse? Probably good???
Sci-Fi Slot: Elysium: Loved District 9 and Chappie, and blunt but heartfelt political messages are endearing. Previously: Ex Machina
Contemporary Artsy Slot: Solaris(2002). I heard it's worse than the old Solaris, but I feel like I might like this one more. Previously: The Tree of Life
Action Slot: The Hurt Locker. I started watching this a while ago and lost interest, but I kind of want to find out what a hurt locker is. Previously: 300 War Movie Slot:
War Slot: Platoon. I think I saw this once in a Turkish hotel, in Turkish, but I'm not sure. Probably should watch in English. Previously: The Thin Red Line
NEWClassic Slot: Psycho. Large plot points have rudely been spoiled to me, but I still need to watch the whole thing. Previously: Citizen Kane, Seventh Seal

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 7, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
2 be fair I know death exists but it doesn't comfort me any.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Hat Thoughts posted:

2 be fair I know death exists but it doesn't comfort me any.

I'd reconsider my atheism if it was an actual dude reaping people on the reg though.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

NEWClassic Slot: Psycho. Large plot points have rudely been spoiled to me, but I still need to watch the whole thing. Previously: Citizen Kane, Seventh Seal

I know you just added this, but I can't choose anything else. I had the same concern with Rear Window and I ended up loving every second.

Children of Paradise does not feel like three hours, or maybe I should say it earns its length. There is no filler in this elegant, funny and sad film about the poisonous and alluring nature of love. Garance is an endearing and fairly modern character in how she talks so candidly about sex. Imagine a frank, non-noir, American movie from the era that would have approached sexuality as transparently as here. It's tasteful, never exploitative, but it's not overly sanitized, either. This film is very novel-like in its approach. It takes its time and allows each character evolve and grow into themselves. Garance may be the one who ties them together but it never feels cheap and while she is desired and perhaps idolized - especially by Baptiste the mime - she's not given the treatment in the film as something beyond human. She's no better than her rival, Nathalie, but love works in weird ways. Maybe her rich benefactor is a bit underdeveloped, but it's a small concern.

I will watch it again because I want to take closer consideration of the camera, which is quite mobile. Very well shot film. My favourite scene is the bar scene after Baptiste meets the "blind" beggar in the streets and he then encounters Garance for the first time. It's well staged and surprising with how it plays out. Just fantastic. I'm glad I finally checked this out.

LIST O SHAME

1)Walkabout - Another from the outback. I know next to nothing about it, but cover art intrigued me.

2) Code Unknown - More Haneke. I love Juliette Binoche, too. Know nothing about it, but bought it blind when Criterion released it.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) Cobra Verde - This Herzog/Kinski box set won't watch itself!

5) Beauty and the Beast - The Cocteau version. I've only ever seen the Disney movie. This is supposed to be great, right?

6) Love Streams - When I first joined the thread, I watched Killing of a Chinese Bookie early on. Liked it a lot. Haven't seen a Cassavetes film since.

7) Song of the Sea - Irish animation I've wanted to see since it was released. Just got added to Netflix!

8) Tangerine - Been on a number of best of 2015 lists.

9) Breaking the Waves - Will it be another entry in Lars von Trier's ongoing series of soul crushers?

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Brewster McCloud, Blast of Silence, Ordet, Bringing Up Baby, Pather Panchali, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, A Streetcar Named Desire, Bride of Frankenstein, Three Colors: White, Three Colors: Red, Kuroneko, A Hard Day's Night, Marketa Lazarova, Tootsie, George Washington, Marnie,Amour,Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Duke of Burgundy, Volver, Day for Night, The Verdict, State of Siege, Dressed to Kill, Children of Paradise(TOTAL: 187)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ratedargh, watch the absolutely beautiful, wonderful, front-runner for best fantasy film of all time Beauty and the Beast.

So, for once I have a legit excuse for my slow turn around of movie watching. I requested Soylent Green from the library the day it was assigned to me, since my local branch didn't have it. There was a gently caress up, and the Blu Ray was never sent. I eventually had to re-request a DVD which took over a week to get in for some reason and then I was so busy I didn't have time to pick it up until today. So, here we are nearly a month later.

When we talk about the sweatiest movies, this one deserves a mention. If there's anything the film excels at it is making you feel unwashed, sweaty, sticky, and gross. I like the hazy filter over the exterior day scenes. However, the film isn't much of a visual marvel, but it makes a feel and a world for itself. I love Edward G. Robinson in his old Jewish man years too, much more than his young faux-Italian stereotype years.

Unfortunately, I do think it relies a little too much on the twist shocking you. It moves slowly, with a very 70s aesthetic to it. Not something I'll watch again and again but I'm glad I saw it and it gives me a renewed appreciation for soap and bourbon.

My List:

The Avenging Conscience (1914) - Griffith's last film before The Birth of a Nation. (Added 2/15/2015)

The Life of Juanita Castro (1965) - An Andy Warhol deep cut. Several actresses sit cramped in a room all facing the same direction enacting a drama about the Castros and Che Guevera during the Cuban revolution. I really dig Warhol's minimalist factory films. (Added 11/1/2015)

The Hour of the Furnaces (1968) - A sprawling 260 minute documentary that is thankfully broken up into three parts. However, while little plot description exists beyond "a unique film exploration of a nation's soul" it's supposedly one of the tentpoles of radical activist 60s filmmaking. (Added 11/5/2015)

The Most Dangerous Game (1932) - It's man. (Added 12/12/2015)

Surname Viet Given Name Nam (1989) - Don't wear it out. :frogc00l: (Added 2/5/2016)

Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake (1966) - Mary Ellen Bute's underground, feature length adaptation of Joyce's inscrutable novel. I've never even tried to read it, but I'll give the movie a shot. (Added 4/1/2016)

Street Trash (1987) - I'll stop the world and melt for you. (Added 4/9/2016)

Little Lord Fauntleroy (1921) - Classic Mary Pickford, aka my bae. <3 <3 <3 (Added 4/9/2016)

The Spook Who Sat by the Door (1973) - I've been meaning to watch this for years. Black revolutionary plays Uncle Tom to get access to the CIA. I need this kind of incensed, inflammatory filmmaking this election cycle. (Added 4/14/2016)

Last Summer (1969) - The warm weather is here and something about sexual awakenings. Let's hit the beach and gently caress. (Added 5/12/2016)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green (TOTAL: 17)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Gonna pick the one I'm at least vaguely familiar with, go watch The Most Dangerous Game.

Well I certainly primed to like Memories of Murder after watching the Every Frame a Painting video on it. And I certainly did enjoy it. I do wonder, though, how much of my appreciation of the film itself would have existed without first being educated on what to look for. Regardless, the shot variety made kept every interesting and really kept everything together. My gripe was over the semi-consistent perfectly time coincidences where everything was lined up just as it needed to be. Too much right time right place kind of breaks everything down a bit.

As for the ending I was expecting something pretty awesome, and didn’t get much. Somehow, I feel like the form itself is being played with and the expectation of a neat little ending is being used against the audience. Which is fine, I guess, but didn’t feel wholly necessary. Ultimately, this is a story not about finding the right guy, but the lengths at which people will go to fit a narrative. We see everyone get corrupted in the process. Problem is we do see a bunch of helpless girls get murdered, so we may be more due for catharsis than the cops who are just kinda losing their humanity. I'm not sure if they needed to show the killer scenes.

Anyway, it’s hard to find much else about the film that wasn’t satisfying. I definitely dug it, and I wasn’t huge on Snowpiercer so I wasn’t necessarily expecting much.

8.5/10

1. Blue Ruin - Don't know much about this, heard it's exciting and it's a recent film I missed.

2. *NEW* Garden of Words *NEW* - Heard it's very pretty.

3. Certified Copy - Heard about this director for the first time from this thread a few pages back. Let's see how it goes!

4. We Need To Talk About Kevin- Chili needs to see a film about Kevin?

5. F For Fake – I think I’ve seen enough Orson Welles at this point to merit giving this one a go.

6. Metropolis – Hitler pick.

7. Ordinary People - I'm keeping the number 7 slot open for movies that my mom picks for me. After I talked with her about how much I liked Kramer vs. Kramer, this was her next pick for me.

8. Deconstructing Harry - More Woody please!

9. Beasts Of The Southern Wild - All I know is that the kid is supposed to be great.

10. Good Morning, Vietnam- My understanding is that this is somewhat overrated but it's never boring watching Robin Williams.

125 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9/10, The Blues Brothers 5/10, Notorious 7/10, Little Shop of Horrors 9/10 , The Last Starfighter 7/10, Rebel Without A Cause 8.5/10, Sherlock Jr. 7.5/10, Intolerable Cruelty, 9/10, The Ladykillers 9/10, Spring Breakers 7.5/10, Touch of Evil 8/10, The Purple Rose of Cairo, 9/10, My Cousin Vinny 7/10, Galaxy Quest 8/10, First Blood, 9/10, Arsenic and Old Lace, 7/10, Mad Max 2, 9/10, The Raid: Redemption, 8/10, Kramer vs. Kramer 9.5/10, Nightcrawler 10/10, Frank 9/10, Strangers On A Train 8/10 , Wild Strawberries 7.5/10, They Came Together 5.5/10, The Squid and the Whale, 10/10, Poolhall Junkies 1/10, Citizenfour 10/10, The 400 Blows 9.5/10, Event Horizon 2/10, Ashes and Diamonds, 8/10 Defending Your Life 9/10, The Informant! 8.5/10 The Lady and the Tramp 8.5/10, Memories of Murder 8.5/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chili posted:

7. Ordinary People - I'm keeping the number 7 slot open for movies that my mom picks for me. After I talked with her about how much I liked Kramer vs. Kramer, this was her next pick for me.

Next one for you.

Woodstock - Young people around the country looking for a new age of change (and to hear music) flocked to a farm in NY in mid-August 1969.

To detail all of the memorable LIVE performances would take a few pages but it was a reminder of just how much talent has been lost over the years due to reckless drug abuse. Tons of famous performers and most weren't even shown playing their big radio hits. The other thing I really liked was that it was immersive and that the cameramen interviewed people in the crowds between performances. Seeing the candid backstage stuff makes you feel like you're there.

It's also a great thing to watch if you need to calibrate a sound system as there's a panoply of singers and musical instruments. The other thing that stuck out was the concert aftermath. People are slobs for the most part. They left a giant farm looking like a garbage dump was hit by a tornado and then hit by torrential rain for a couple of days.

A couple of short performances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynxqdNMry4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjreEoe5__w

Procrastination (212 completed):

#202 Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 1 - This one keeps jumping on and off the IMDb 250. 11/5/15

#204 Manila in the Claws of Light - Heard this was good. 12/8/15

#208 Queen - IMDb CCL. 1/14/16

#209 The Hour of the Furnaces AKA La hora de los hornos - There are around a dozen films I've recommended ITT to someone that I haven't seen. This is one of them. 2/4/16

#215 Flatliners - More of that procrastination. 4/3/16

#217 Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake - Amazed that this exists. 4/21/16

new #219 C.H.U.D. - Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers or Contamination Hazard Urban Disposal. 5/14/16

James Bond versus Godzilla:

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep - Godzilla wants Red Lobster for dinner. 3/16/16

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (28/39 completed):

1992 Shining Through - Something about WWII. 11/30/15

1990 The Adventures of Ford Fairlane - Andrew Dice Clay stars in his own film. 4/29/16

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo, go with the oldest film on your list and watch Gangs of Wasseypur!

The Most Dangerous Game spends a lot of time talking and not a lot in the jungle, but the ending is fantastic. You see the impact this had on everything after it from King Kong to Predator. The fight scenes are messy, very brutal, tired and frantic. I'm a little tired right now, don't have too much to say. It's short, honestly could have gone longer and expanded Fay Wray's part. More of the psychological "outdoor chess" would have been great to see. Anyone going into this knows what they want from it so I don't know why it's a 40 minute lead up to the 20 minutes of meat.

My List:

The Avenging Conscience (1914) - Griffith's last film before The Birth of a Nation. (Added 2/15/2015)

The Life of Juanita Castro (1965) - An Andy Warhol deep cut. Several actresses sit cramped in a room all facing the same direction enacting a drama about the Castros and Che Guevera during the Cuban revolution. I really dig Warhol's minimalist factory films. (Added 11/1/2015)

The Hour of the Furnaces (1968) - A sprawling 260 minute documentary that is thankfully broken up into three parts. However, while little plot description exists beyond "a unique film exploration of a nation's soul" it's supposedly one of the tentpoles of radical activist 60s filmmaking. (Added 11/5/2015)

Surname Viet Given Name Nam (1989) - Don't wear it out. :frogc00l: (Added 2/5/2016)

Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake (1966) - Mary Ellen Bute's underground, feature length adaptation of Joyce's inscrutable novel. I've never even tried to read it, but I'll give the movie a shot. (Added 4/1/2016)

Street Trash (1987) - I'll stop the world and melt for you. (Added 4/9/2016)

Little Lord Fauntleroy (1921) - Classic Mary Pickford, aka my bae. <3 <3 <3 (Added 4/9/2016)

The Spook Who Sat by the Door (1973) - I've been meaning to watch this for years. Black revolutionary plays Uncle Tom to get access to the CIA. I need this kind of incensed, inflammatory filmmaking this election cycle. (Added 4/14/2016)

Last Summer (1969) - The warm weather is here and something about sexual awakenings. Let's hit the beach and gently caress. (Added 5/12/2016)

Bringing Up Baby (1938) - I've never seen this Cary Grant classic and that is just unethical. (Added 5/14/2016)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game (TOTAL: 18)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I suggested Episode I before so I feel like I should make it up to you by choosing a good movie, but I haven't seen any of those. So gently caress it, watch Street Trash, what could possibly go wrong?

Watched Psycho. Liked it a lot! The structure seems very unusual, killing off the supposed main character halfway through, introducing a new main character only to quickly kill him off as well and having it all resolved by some side characters was unexpected. I guess Anthony Perkins is the true main character, and deservedly so. He acted the hell out of the role, and I'd have loved to see more of him at his most deranged. I definitely found myself rooting for him multiple times in the movie. Guess that works with the voyeuristic shower scene...I wasn't the greatest fan of the psychiatrist in the end explaining in detail what happened when they could have just shown it instead. More Bates! Maybe because it deviates so much from what you'd expect from a modern slasher movie it has such a great quaint charm to it, really fun to watch. And while it seems very tame nowadays, the shower scene and especially the shot of Marion Crane's eyes and face at the end of it was still really effective.
Side note, I always knew Principal Skinner and his mom were a homage to Psycho, but Bate's and Skinner's moms having identical voices cracked me up.

Older Artsy Slot:The Holy Mountain. El Topo was really good so I have high expectations. Previously: Solaris
Thriller Slot: Basic Instinct. I remember this being treated like a serious movie, but it's a Verhoeven Hollywood movie, so I have my doubts.
Western Slot: Pale Rider. Clint Eastwood, presumably pale, on a horse? Probably good???
Sci-Fi Slot: Elysium: Loved District 9 and Chappie, and blunt but heartfelt political messages are endearing. Previously: Ex Machina
Contemporary Artsy Slot: Solaris(2002). I heard it's worse than the old Solaris, but I feel like I might like this one more. Previously: The Tree of Life
Action Slot: The Hurt Locker. I started watching this a while ago and lost interest, but I kind of want to find out what a hurt locker is. Previously: 300 War Movie Slot:
War Slot: Platoon. I think I saw this once in a Turkish hotel, in Turkish, but I'm not sure. Probably should watch in English. Previously: The Thin Red Line
NEW Classic Slot: Casablanca. Might as well check off all the classic black and white stuff. Previously: Citizen Kane, Seventh Seal, Psycho

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
IM_DA_DECIDER, go with Solaris(2002), I hope your feeling is proved right and you do like it more than the original, I much prefer Soderbergh's version in every way to the original.

Ratedargh gave me last year's Ex Machina.

Which was terrific. A tight, interesting, gripping sci--fi film that brings you in immediately and keeps ahead of the viewer throughout, every time you feel like you know where it's going it nods at what you were thinking and keeps going, tremendous. I went into this knowing almost nothing, some kind of scifi film that's got to do with a robot girl and Domhnall Gleeson is in it, and knowning so little helped as the film lets the details come when you need them but the dialogue between the few characters is well written enough to clue you in on the world the film takes place in.

The film moves very quickly and the 3 main characters are all played brilliantly, while Gleeson is very good, it's ‎Alicia Vikander and Oscar Isaac who really stand out, both are superb, Vikander with a captivating performance full of tiny touches that work on multiple levels with her very interesting character, and Isaac is perfectly mysterious and intimidating (and at one point, hilarious "I'm gonna tear up the loving dancefloor") with the film showing you more of these characters right up until the end, brilliant stuff.

Yeah, it's great.

List of Shame: (oldest - newest)

1 - Silence - Long intrigued by this film, now I need to catch it before the Scorsese version comes out next this year... (over a year on this list)

2 - In America - It was talked about a lot on its release but not heard much about this since, word was it was good. [Irish Film Slot]

3 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

4 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

5 - Amy - A quite recent release but one I'm keen to catch. [Documentary Slot]

6 - The Wanderers - One of those films that gets mentioned often enough but don't know much about, something about a gang?

7 - Kotoko - Always interested in Shinya Tsukamoto's films, I've a few to catch up on, this seems interesting.

8 - Outrage - Takeshi Kitano back making Yakuza films. I can't wait. [Catching up with Kitano 3/5]

9 - Bad Day at Black Rock - One of those classics that I've just never sought out & know very little about, I should fix that

10- Moonrise Kingdom - new - Not the biggest Wes Anderson fan, but loved The Grand Budapest Hotel so hoping this is close to that.

Shame No More: [86] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken | Citizenfour | Annie Hall | The Great Yokai War | Achilles and the Tortoise | Starman | Mad Max 2 | Ex Machina

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Chewy Bitems, watch the oldest film on your list - Silence.

One of the most striking things about Street Trash, after the glorious geysers of psychedelic gore that are the melting scenes, is the beautiful Raimi-esque steadicam work that hits the screen in the opening scene. The sweeping camera control took director James M. Muro far as after finishing this movie about psychotic, dirty bums loving and melting he went on to become a Hollywood camera man working as the steadicam operator for James Cameron, Oliver Stone, and showing up with credits on Clueless, Heat, Casino and L.A. Confidential. He later became a full director of photography, most notably on Paul Haggis' Crash. Lately he's been directing TV. I always love weird career turns like that.

Street Trash itself is 80s video nasty schlock. I remember reading recently about compassion fatigue, when you expend so much energy caring about others, world plights, society, that eventually you grow cynical and bitter. I feel this way a lot sometimes with the push for socially progressive attitudes and kneejerk thinkpiece culture. As much as I deeply believe in the cause and the realities of institutionalized racism, misogyny, rape culture and homophobia (now widespread transphobia), it can just be really loving nice to sit back with a beer and watch a movie where a bunch of depraved bums play keep away with a dude's severed penis. I work in journalism, and spend all day experiencing social media, so to come home and bathe myself in filth and depravity, a world where everybody is hateful and corrupt, is like a little mental vacation. Maybe this means I'm just as bad as everybody else, but maybe I just can't give a poo poo 24 hours a day. Some people watch reality TV and I'm gonna watch Street Trash.

All in all, I think the original student short actually works a little better. It's quicker and to the point whereas the feature takes its time in the middle swerving towards various vignettes and unrelated subplots. But it delivers the goods in the end, when everybody melts and/or explodes.

My List:

Bringing Up Baby (1938) - I've never seen this Cary Grant classic and that is just unethical. (Added 5/14/2016)

Nerves (1919) - German expressionist film that looks cool as heck. (Added 5/16/2016)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash (TOTAL: 19)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Avenging Conscience for you! Can't go wrong with Poe stories.

Saw Solaris (2002). Nah, that's not it either. What held back Tarkovski's Solaris for me was the production design and the remake fixed my biggest gripe with the older movie.
Unfortunately, my opinion of the movie is pretty much what the author of the book thought of it too:

Stanislav Lem posted:

...to my best knowledge, the book was not dedicated to erotic problems of people in outer space... As Solaris' author I shall allow myself to repeat that I only wanted to create a vision of a human encounter with something that certainly exists, in a mighty manner perhaps, but cannot be reduced to human concepts, ideas or images. This is why the book was entitled "Solaris" and not "Love in Outer Space".

Soderbergh focuses the theme of the movie even more on what it is human and further away from what is alien. Nothing wrong with that, but it's such well trodden ground in sci-fi and elsewhere, and the movie has basically nothing to say what we haven't seen and heard before a hundred times. There is one interesting idea that Kelvin might be misremembering his wife that's not really expanded on, and then it turns into a non-issue anyways. While the ending is similar to the old movie , it felt much more like a cop-out than in Tarkovski's version, and is sappy instead of downright creepy. What is left out of the movie almost entirely is the most interesting (non?)character of the book, Solaris itself. The book and to a lesser extent Tarkovski's movie deliver a grandiose sense of fascination with the completely unknowable, and the tremendous frustration of it being so completely beyond comprehension. In the movie humanity has completely given up on understanding and now only wants to assess the potential economic benefits of the planet, which I'm pretty sure was a very deliberate change by Soderbergh. That being said, the story has emotional impact, and the movie is well shot and well acted, but it all just feels very mundane for a movie about humanity's interactions with an unknowable alien entity.

NEW Contemporary Artsy Slot:Only Lovers Left Alive. I don't think being immortal could ever get boring, but media tends to disagree. Maybe this one presents a convincing argument? Previously: The Tree of Life, Solaris (2002)
Classic Slot: Casablanca. Might as well check off all the classic black and white stuff. Previously: Citizen Kane, Seventh Seal, Psycho

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Great soundtrack, though.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
IM_DA_DECIDER, feels bad to only pick from your classic category, but Casablanca is what this thread was made for.

-----------------------------------------

Saw The Wild Bunch, and christ what a grim movie. I've never seen a bleaker indictment of humanity than what is portrayed here. Every actor was cast to perfection to play a emotionally stunted and depressed man but still with enough flavor to make them different. There's really no redeeming qualities to any these characters, and the only saving grace is the fact that our main character realizes this and in the end figures out the only possible solution.

Great movie, but kind of draining to watch. Hopefully I'll get something more uplifting for my next one, but I'm not sure I have any in my list.

List:

My Darling Clementine - I'll keep this as a western slot.

La Dolce Vita - Saw 8½ and I can't say I really enjoyed it, but I should probably give Fellini another chance.

2046 - Might as well follow up In the Mood for Love with this one.

Cries and Whispers - Haven't seen a bad Bergman yet.

The Thin Red Line - A few posts up in this thread reminded me that I own this but haven't seen it.

Contempt - Loved Breathless.

The Conformist - Looks beautiful from what I've seen.

Andrei Rublev - Maybe I should watch some Tarkovsky?

Raging Bull - Saw Rocky, might as well keep going with the boxing.

Tokyo Story - Only one in TSPDT top 10 I haven't seen.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cakebaker posted:

Cries and Whispers - Haven't seen a bad Bergman yet.

This isn't uplifting either.

Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 1 - Things happen at too fast a pace as the film jumps around three generations of families between 1941 and 2004. Just when you're getting accustomed to a character he's killed or the story shifts elsewhere.

All the men in the film are various kinds of criminals, extortionists, bandits and gang members trying to get more money but also motivated highly by revenge. A lot of the conflict and brutal violence arises between Muslim tribal infighting but also along Hindu lines.

Sardar is probably the main character and he straddles this conflict line closely by recklessly marrying both Hindu and Muslim women and having a bevy of children. This creates tension in the neighborhood but he's able to repeatedly avoid assassination attempts. The film (part 1) ends with Sardar escaping yet another assassination attempt.

It's kind of pitiful because even with a life of crime these gangsters seem poor. Usually in a US film the insane risk and boldness is rewarded with millions of dollars except here the "rich criminals" are still living on a pittance and can only afford defective guns that explode in their hands and don't even work properly!

If you want to see an amalgamation of stuff like Gangs of New York, City of God and the Godfather Trilogy set in a destitute part of India then this is your film.

Procrastination (213 completed):

#209 The Hour of the Furnaces AKA La hora de los hornos - There are around a dozen films I've recommended ITT to someone that I haven't seen. This is one of them. 2/4/16

#215 Flatliners - More of that procrastination. 4/3/16

#217 Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake - Amazed that this exists. 4/21/16

#219 C.H.U.D. - Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers or Contamination Hazard Urban Disposal. 5/14/16

new #220 Grease - I suppose I should watch this. 5/19/16

1990 The Adventures of Ford Fairlane - Andrew Dice Clay stars in his own film. 4/29/16

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Zogo, go with C.H.U.D, a film I've wanted to add to my list but I can't find it to watch, looking forward to your thoughts, maybe it'll be worth some more effort to find it.

TrixRabbi gave me what was the longest film on my list, Silence.

Which was a very interesting film. A 1971 Japanese film about two Portuguese Jesuit missionaries who arrive in Japan in the seventeenth century where Christianity is banned and potentially punishable by death. While the film briefly shows the lives of the Japanese Christians and how they practiced their faith in such circumstances and the consequences of same, the film focuses on one of the Priests as he watches the suffering of the local Christians and deals with the issue of faith in such an environment.

The film's subject matter is clearly very deep but it is unfortunately largely reduced to multiple scenes where characters use metaphors to describe why Christianity hasn't spread through Japan. The deeper questions on faith are more hinted at than overtly explored, which is a shame, save for one scene where it's rather explicity stated to the obvious extreme (What would Jesus do in your situation) but it works well, in particular as it is delivered by Tetsuro Tamba, who is excellent in a brief but pivitol role - I'm really not keen on people playing other races (there's shitloads of actors out there, but less lazy) but Tamba's performance (in sorta Portuguese-blackface) draws attention to the rather underwhelming lead performance of David Lampson, who isn't awful by any means but you get the feeling he was perhaps hired as much for ability to speak both English and Japanese.

Directed by Masahiro Shinoda, the film ocassionally moves into superb dramatic scenes that hold the viewer's attention through slower more cautious moments but leaves you wishing the entire film had as much imagination and flair as those moments - much of the rest of the film relies on Toru Takemitsu's chaotic, ominious score to imbue the seriousness and bleakness of the characters's situations.

On a side note, having now seen the film I've looked up the novel that it was based on, which seems like a much deeper and much more rewarding story than this film provided, the upcoming Martin Scorsese adaptation is one I'm now very much looking forward to as the deeper elements of this adaptation of the story will presumably be at the forefront.

List of Shame:

1 - In America - It was talked about a lot on its release but not heard much about this since, word was it was good. [Irish Film Slot]

2 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

3 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

4 - Amy - A quite recent release but one I'm keen to catch. [Documentary Slot]

5 - The Wanderers - One of those films that gets mentioned often enough but don't know much about, something about a gang?

6 - Kotoko - Always interested in Shinya Tsukamoto's films, I've a few to catch up on, this seems interesting.

7 - Outrage - Takeshi Kitano back making Yakuza films. I can't wait. [Catching up with Kitano 3/5]

8 - Bad Day at Black Rock - One of those classics that I've just never sought out & know very little about, I should fix that

9 - Moonrise Kingdom - Not the biggest Wes Anderson fan, but loved The Grand Budapest Hotel so hoping this is close to that.

10- A Colt Is My Passport - new - Starring everyone's favourite artifically hamster cheeked actor - Joe Shishido - Decever spoke highly of this earlier in the thread.

Shame No More: [87] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken | Citizenfour | Annie Hall | The Great Yokai War | Achilles and the Tortoise | Starman | Mad Max 2 | Ex Machina | Silence

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Watch Moonrise Kingdom! It's on the back of my to watch list slots but since the thead is intent on making me watch just the oldest movies I haven't been able to rotate it in.

Watched Casablanca. I was surprised at how pro-France the entire thing is, I've always been under the impression that Americans looked down on them because of their WW2 experience. The Marseillaise scene has got to be one of the most satisfying moments in cinematic history, sent shivers down my spine. Can't keep us down you Nazi fucks :france: ! Makes you feel patriotic even as a non-Frenchperson. Loved the ending too, a real feel-good movie. Now to rewatch Indiana Jones with an entirely new perspective!

Contemporary Artsy Slot: Only Lovers Left Alive. I don't think being immortal could ever get boring, but media tends to disagree. Maybe this one presents a convincing argument? Previously: The Tree of Life, Solaris (2002)
NEW Classic Slot: The Graduate. A bit more recent since Previously: Citizen Kane, Seventh Seal, Psycho, Casablanca

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Watched Casablanca. I was surprised at how pro-France the entire thing is, I've always been under the impression that Americans looked down on them because of their WW2 experience. The Marseillaise scene has got to be one of the most satisfying moments in cinematic history, sent shivers down my spine. Can't keep us down you Nazi fucks :france: ! Makes you feel patriotic even as a non-Frenchperson. Loved the ending too, a real feel-good movie. Now to rewatch Indiana Jones with an entirely new perspective!

Pretty sure the anti-French stuff in American culture is more recent propaganda, especially during the start of the Iraq War. While WWII was still going on, I think there was a lot of sympathy both ways. And, yes, the Marseillaise scene was amazing.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

The Marseillaise scene has got to be one of the most satisfying moments in cinematic history, sent shivers down my spine.

Did you know most of the extras are actual French and European refugees who fled to Los Angeles from the Nazis? For a lot of them that scene was 100% authentic and the first time in months or years they were able to speak their native language and sing that song.

On another note, this thread is nearing its 6th anniversary and is full of hundreds of pages of old lists from people who have since dropped out. Would anybody be opposed, if when I finish my assignment to keep the chain going, if I created a new thread we could all migrate to? It might invite some fresh blood and people who used to participate incentive to create new lists and hop back in. And if for whatever reason you're unhappy with your current list, or just want to change it up, you could start fresh or just continue where you left off.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 25, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The only thing that's nice about this thread lasting so long is that u can follow individual people's posting progress.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

On another note, this thread is nearing its 6th anniversary and is full of hundreds of pages of old lists from people who have since dropped out. Would anybody be opposed, if when I finish my assignment to keep the chain going, if I created a new thread we could all migrate to? It might invite some fresh blood and people who used to participate incentive to create new lists and hop back in. And if for whatever reason you're unhappy with your current list, or just want to change it up, you could start fresh or just continue where you left off.

Sounds like a decent idea that might bring in a few new people if they were intimidated by poring over 208 pages. Probably want to check with GonSmithe first since this thread is so large.

BTW I watched Street Trash (I'm always pulling movies from other lists here) and that was a memorable and unsanitized 100 minutes.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TrixRabbi posted:

Did you know most of the extras are actual French and European refugees who fled to Los Angeles from the Nazis? For a lot of them that scene was 100% authentic and the first time in months or years they were able to speak their native language and sing that song.

Oh that makes the scene especially great!

I'm also in favour of making a new thread with a more informative title.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Zogo posted:

Sounds like a decent idea that might bring in a few new people if they were intimidated by poring over 208 pages. Probably want to check with GonSmithe first since this thread is so large.

BTW I watched Street Trash (I'm always pulling movies from other lists here) and that was a memorable and unsanitized 100 minutes.

Already cleared it with him, he's in favor of it.

"gently caress you, gimme a bottle of booze, here's my dollar, suck my dick"

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Well, the last thing I want to do is kill the thread by making a new one, so I'll wait a bit to see if anybody else has interest in migrating to a revamped thread.

IM DA DECIDER can watch The Holy Mountain, open your mind and enjoy an experience unlike any other. Make sure it's dark out when you watch it, after midnight is ideal.

The Avenging Conscience: Or 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' was D.W. Griffith's last feature film before making the world changing The Birth of a Nation. The relatively short film (only 84 minutes compared to Birth's 3+ hours) is inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell Tale Heart and the poem Annabel Lee. It's very much a Griffith production though, filled with sentimentality, social issues moralizing and melodrama.

The first half is a bit slow. A young man is raised by his loving uncle, but the uncle grows resentful of the man's new girlfriend and disapproves of the relationship. Torn between his love and his uncle, the man plots a plan to kill the uncle, which he ultimately does and hides the body in the wall. However, his uncle's ghost soon begins haunting him, driving him mad until his plot is revealed. The second half of the film gets wild before ultimately giving into a cop out ending.

But I was taken aback by a lot of surreal religious and devil imagery, and a psychotic action-packed finale where the man gets into a shoot out with the towns people in an attempt to escape. It's a solid silent feature, a little slow here or there, but worth remembering and rediscovering. Jonathan Rosenbaum includes it on his Essential Films list, which is how I heard about it. Despite his many misgivings, I have a soft spot for Griffith, who is one of the most fascinating filmmakers of the silent era, and one of the most pathetic.

My List:

Nerves (1919) - German expressionist film that looks cool as heck. (Added 5/16/2016)

The Blood of Jesus (1941) - Spencer Williams' iconic race film. Spike Lee paid homage to it with Da Sweet Blood of Jesus. I've never seen any of these old race films, outside of some documentaries featuring clips. It seems like a fascinating genre worth diving into. (Added 5/25/2016)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience (TOTAL: 20)

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 26, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I really don't get the point of starting a new thread. Some of the threads I follow have nearly 2,000 pages. But, if for some reason people want it, that's fine. I like the current title, though.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TrixRabbi watch The Spook Who Sat by the Door. It's an interesting movie to see.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

UltimoDragonQuest watch Aguirre. Mostly because I want to see how long I can go in this thread just telling people to watch that film.
Another road trip movie!
It's not much of a story but the directing is fantastic. The opening hike down the mountain and all the narrow raft shots are great. Shooting in 4:3 really helps the claustrophobia of the raft. The camera circling around the raft at the end is fantastic. Lighting it would have been impossible but I wish there were a few shots of the Amazon at night. Kinski is good but Aguirre is a fairly simple character. Having seen Burder of Dreams I think the making of these crazy Amazon films might be better than the result.
C

La Dolce Vita - It's long and I didn't love La Strada.
L'Age d'Or - I've skipped all the French Bunuels.
Wings of Desire - This movie shares blame for that Goo Goo Dolls song.
The Killing - I haven't seen much Kubrick.
The Passion of Joan of Arc - I need to see more silent films that aren't from Germany.
Chinatown - Haven't seen any Polanksi but Knife In The Water.
Diabolique - People allege it is better than Diabolik.
City of God - Highest unseen movie on the IMDB 250 I have lying around. (e: Well not now)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Working my way through every extended reference from The Simpsons.
*NEW* The Shawshank Redemption - Cultural osmosis pick. I know the gist.

Psycho A, Raging Bull C, Brazil D, Nosferatu B, Leaving Las Vegas C, Rashomon C, Onibaba C, The Tree of Life A, Casablanca B, Castle In The Sky C, Goodfellas B, Nashville B, Stagecoach A, Wild Strawberries B, Aguirre, the Wrath of God[ C

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

TrixRabbi watch The Spook Who Sat by the Door. It's an interesting movie to see.

Convenient cause I just started reading the original novel!

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Chinatown - Haven't seen any Polanksi but Knife In The Water.
Watch this, it's amazing.

Finally got 'round to watching American Psycho. I found it a little disappointing to be honest. The movie kept too close to the novel and tried to cram too much of it in while simultaneously not really getting to the core of what I liked about it. I was really hoping for more after all the praise I heard about it.

Man with a Movie Camera - Often shows up on lists of great films and everything about how it was made and how that's incorporated into the film sounds really interesting.

Thief - Other Mann movies I've seen were good, need to watch this one.

Nightcrawler - Didn't manage to see this in the cinema last year, but everything about it seems extremely my poo poo.

Chungking Express - I've only seen ''in the mood for love'' from Wong and I should change that.

Strange Days - Picked this up at a thrift store a year or so back and I've been close to watching it about a dozen times.

Spider - Went to a big Cronenberg exhibition last year and I've slowly been going through all his films. This one is next.

Elephant - I wonder what the chances are that this will be tragically relevant due to current events when it gets picked.

New:

A Separation - I always end up picking something cheerier when I'm deciding what to watch, but this one is supposed to be excellent.

Tangerine - There was a lot of buzz about this last year and I've been meaning to watch it. Pretty pissed that I missed the first and only theatrical showing of this in Amsterdam last week.

sjw - Only ever saw a couple of minutes. Love Verhoeven in schlocky sci-fi mode.

The Passion of Joan of Arc - Looks intense.

Watched: The Night of the Hunter, F for Fake, Throne of Blood, American Psycho

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

GMEEOORH posted:

sjw - Only ever saw a couple of minutes. Love Verhoeven in schlocky sci-fi mode.

sjw???

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Network Correspondent: Some say the MRAs were provoked by the intrusion of females into their natural habitat, that a post and let post policy is preferable to war with the MRAs
Johnny: I'M FROM THE INTERNET AND I SAY KILL EM ALL!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Iike that the word filter ran the full gamut of confusion

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

GMEEOORH posted:

A Separation - I always end up picking something cheerier when I'm deciding what to watch, but this one is supposed to be excellent.

This was a no brainer for me to choose - hope you're as glued to the screen as I was. Enjoy!

Warrior
This is a 2+hr film with all the conventional sports movie tropes & cliches - yet somehow it works and grabs a hold of you. And for the most part, I blame two people for that - Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte. Both are superb here & could not imagine anyone else taking on those roles with such conviction. Joel Edgerton & Jennifer Morrison are good here too, but those two get the juicier, more memorable roles that allow them to stand out. It's not hard to connect the dots here, but the artistry is making this tried formula effective yet again. A real feat!

LIST
American Hustle (2015.10.19) - I'll replace Fincher's 'Dragon Tattoo with another lengthy modern film I'll never watch... unless I'm forced to here.

American Movie (2016.01.01) - I'll add a documentary to start the new year off, and it's one I've been meaning to see for years.

Dark Victory - **NEW** (2016.05.29) - one of those films you don't hear discussed much, but a revisit of All About Eve makes me want more Bette Davis!

Farewell My Concubine (2016.04.13) - replacing with another long, foreign film that I won't watch unless told to here.

Gilda (2015.11.27) - I'll replace an early Rita Hayworth film with her most iconic.

Leaving Las Vegas **OLDEST** (2015.10.18) - I claim to be a big Nic Cage supporter, yet his Oscar-winner remains a blindspot. How shameful, right?

Marketa Lazarova (2016.05.05) - best place to put a lengthy acclaimed film... I'll keep putting it off otherwise! I sound like a broken record.

Mister Roberts (2015.10.24) - James Cagney, Henry Fonda, William Powell, and Jack Lemmon ..... Why I haven't watched this yet is beyond me.

Nobody Knows (2016.04.23) - a 2+hr Kore-eda film that would be my 3rd film of his. Long overdue.

Rope (2016.04.13) - classic Hitchcock .... how have I not watched this yet?

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), [Total:123]

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Friendo, I'm excited to give you American Movie! Make sure to watch Coven as a follow up!

So I both read and watched Sam Greenlee's The Spook Who Sat By the Door. The novel, a limited release at the time, is largely forgotten today - seemingly washed away as part of the wave of radical 60s literature. A lost masterpiece if there ever was one that you can still buy, but it comes with a pixelated home press-styled cover, clearly the work of a dedicated but amateurish company. If you've ever seen the movie, I highly highly recommend the novel. The film is very faithful, but you get more into Freeman's head - which proves vital during scenes with white people. Greenlee is a masterful prose artist and it's a wonder he's not more revered as one of America's great African American authors, if only for this work alone.

The film has more of an excuse for not being as well known - it was banned. The FBI had the movie pulled from theaters for fear it would incite black people to actually take up arms against the U.S. government. The negative was hidden away in a vault until 2004 when it was found under a different name. Now widely available, it still seems to be struggling to catch on, but it's an excellent work and one of the finest examples of the blaxploitation genre. Honestly, if you want to see the genre at its most socially aware, smartest and most inflammatory, outside of Melvin Van Peebles you can't get much angrier than this. Only Van Peebles' Watermelon Man and Sweet Sweetback really compare.

The riot scenes in particular stand out, as history seems to be repeating itself today. White cops shoot an unarmed black kid, and suddenly years of oppression and pent up anger unleash themselves into a fury. Sound familiar? Although this time the revolution is scored by Herbie Hancock.

I suppose it's fitting that the last book I read before this was Donald Trump's Crippled America and the last assignment I completed for this thread was a D.W. Griffith film.

My List:

The Blood of Jesus (1941) - Spencer Williams' iconic race film. Spike Lee paid homage to it with Da Sweet Blood of Jesus. I've never seen any of these old race films, outside of some documentaries featuring clips. It seems like a fascinating genre worth diving into. (Added 5/25/2016)

Au hasard Balthazar (1966) - The last movie I watched about a donkey was Shrek. (Added 5/30/2016)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door (TOTAL: 21)

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 31, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Next one for you.

C.H.U.D. - A familiar kind of antinuclear, anti-government film that was very prevalent throughout the 1980s. People are disappearing right and left (mainly the homeless subterranean dwellers who are the kind of people you'd find in Dark Days (2000)).

Of course the national government is to blame and their only solution is to cover up their misdeeds by concocting more dangerous solutions than before. That conflict therein reminded me a little of another 1984 film (Ghostbusters).

The C.H.U.D. creatures look better in stills than they do in motion. Slimy rubber arms, glowing eyes and jump scares just don't work for me anymore. The ending was kind of lackluster without panache as well. Oh well, I'll always have memories of looking at the C.H.U.D. VHS cover in a video store and being mesmerized (as with so many others).

PS There's a CCTV segment that felt like a precursor to a famous scene in Aliens when the marines are searching for the aliens.

Also watched:

Flatliners - It's been said that when you die your life flashes before your eyes.

A group of medical students decide they want to explore and push the boundaries of the human brain. Religion, philosophy and the afterlife are all up for grabs. To do this they must induce heart and near brain death on each other.

I liked the concept but there was something about the execution of the characters and their interactions that came across as too comedic for the subject matter. Too much conflict and so many of their conversations involved these silly bets concerning who could flatline the longest. Crash (1996) did the insanely motivated better IMO.

Another big part of the film that fell flat concerns the numerous long hallucinations and flashbacks. It's as if a quarter of the film is a flashback and it's just beaten to death.

Procrastination (215 completed):

#220 Grease - I suppose I should watch this. 5/19/16

new #221 The Message - The story of Islam is now on the IMDb 250. 5/31/16

new #222 2046 - One of those newer hailed ones. 5/31/16

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Grease it is for you!

Watched The Holy Mountain. It's weird and gross and funny and a lot of other things. I'm not sure what to think. A bit front loaded, I enjoyed the earlier scenes much more and felt like it was getting a bit dull (dull for a movie like that) by the end, but maybe it's just because I got exhausted by all the weirdness. I'd say I'd have enjoyed this more with breaks, watch a scene a day and let it all sink in properly. What a movie though.

Contemporary Artsy Slot: Only Lovers Left Alive. I don't think being immortal could ever get boring, but media tends to disagree. Maybe this one presents a convincing argument? Previously: The Tree of Life, Solaris (2002)
Classic Slot: The Graduate. I like the song. Previously: Citizen Kane, Seventh Seal, Psycho, Casablanca
NEW Older Artsy Slot:Fitzcarralo. Is this even artsy? No clue. Thinking this genre slot idea might have been bad. Previously: Solaris, The Holy Mountain

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
IM_DA_DECIDER, go with Suspiria, you haven't had a horror picked yet and this is one I've been meaning to see myself.

And IM_DA_DECIDER gave me Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom.

Which was very good and very enjoyable. The kid's adventure/would be love story of two misfit kids (a girl and a boy) on an island off the north east coast of the USA in 1965. The girl lives on the island with her family and the boy is a boyscout camping there with his troop, they run away from their respective situations to be together. Unsurprisingly, since they're kids, the adults and various parties disagree with this decision and go after the kids. Much chasing ensues.

This is very much a Wes Anderson film, and as much as I like discussing more than just a film itself when reviewing a film, it's a handy shorthand to use to invoke Wes Anderson's name here. I'm not much of a fan of his film, while I haven't disliked any of them, until The Grand Budapest Hotel, I hadn't loved anything he's done (though I did enjoy Fantastic Mr Fox). I started out pretty cold to this film for the overly Wes Andersonyness of it all, with the kids and adults (but mainly the kids) not acting like any humans and the kids being these precocious cutsy robots that I was worried about. Thankfully as the story gets going and you learn more about the main kids the characters get more human and the story starts picking up speed rightt up to the end. And in the end it's become a very enjoyable and quite genuine and sweet film.

Another reminder to try not to go into a film with preconceptions, and to just let it be itself and not to lean on thoughts of other films before you watch something, as well as after.

List of Shame:

1 - In America - It was talked about a lot on its release but not heard much about this since, word was it was good. [Irish Film Slot]

2 - Dancer in the Dark - I started watching this years back but the rented DVD was broke, apparently a tough watch so haven't rushed back.

3 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Again catching up with Studio Ghibli, this comes highly rated.

4 - Amy - A quite recent release but one I'm keen to catch. [Documentary Slot]

5 - The Wanderers - One of those films that gets mentioned often enough but don't know much about, something about a gang?

6 - Kotoko - Always interested in Shinya Tsukamoto's films, I've a few to catch up on, this seems interesting.

7 - Outrage - Takeshi Kitano back making Yakuza films. I can't wait. [Catching up with Kitano 3/5]

8 - Bad Day at Black Rock - One of those classics that I've just never sought out & know very little about, I should fix that

9 - A Colt Is My Passport - Starring everyone's favourite artifically hamster cheeked actor - Joe Shishido - Decever spoke highly of this earlier in the thread.

10- It Follows - new - A highly talked about recent horror, I don't know much and I'd rather go in like that but I hear it's meant to be very good.

Shame No More: [88] [top ten] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Thieves | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West | The Raid: Redemption | The Babadook | Calvary | The Host | Samurai Rebellion | Poltergeist | Days of Heaven | The Room | Nightcrawler | Cars 2 | Enter the Dragon | Stalker | Casablanca | M | The Maltese Falcon | The Secret World of Arrietty | Bad Lieutenant | Blazing Saddles | Mad Max: Fury Road | From Up On Poppy Hill | In The Heat Of The Night | Noah | The Wind Rises | The Exorcist | An American Werewolf in London | The Fog | The Graduate | The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 | The Killing | La Dolce Vita | Scarface | Gone Girl | The Sting | Rope | Taken | Citizenfour | Annie Hall | The Great Yokai War | Achilles and the Tortoise | Starman | Mad Max 2 | Ex Machina | Silence | Moonrise Kingdom

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Finally! I was starting to regret putting Suspiria on the list since I felt the urge to watch it ever since I put it on there.
Also I don't want to overhype anyone on It Follows but it might just be my number one horror movie of all times.
Edit: And some people are completely untouched by it, which I fully understand too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Chewy Bitems, the only film on your list I've seen is It Follows, which is excellent and terrified me. So as much as I hate to assign the most recent addition to the list, it's a goodun.

So true to the thread title, it truly was shameful that I'd never seen Bringing Up Baby! It's absolutely wonderful the entire way through. I rewatched Arsenic and Old Lace about a year ago and it's one that I still enjoyed but was disappointed with in comparison to how zany I remembered it being (the ending lags). But this one keeps the energy up the entire way through with the same level of absurdity and piling madness. When the leopard first shows up it's this strangely grin inducing moment - Hepburn is so blaise about it and the animal is adorably absurd.

Oh and gently caress the police!

My List:

Au hasard Balthazar (1966) - The last movie I watched about a donkey was Shrek. (Added 5/30/2016)

The Thin Man (1934) - Solving crime through the power of alcoholism! (Added 6/7/2016)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby (TOTAL: 22)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'll go with your oldest Trix, as I don't know anything about your list. Enjoy Life of Juanita Castro.

I dug WhiteOrdinary People. It’s a tough movie for me to watch objectively with regards to its content as I work with kids like Conrad on a daily basis. Dr. Berger, for the flaws he did have was actually pretty well depicted.

Also, I don’t quite know what it is, but the quality of the film itself… someone smarter and more knowledgeable than me could probably say exactly what it is, but there’s something about the late 70’s early 80’s and the way the grain of those films feel. So inviting. Watching this film I was totally disarmed and brought into the world of it and I think most of it had to do with the texture of the film itself. Kind of how I feel when I listen to vinyl, which I don't do enough.

And jeez, what can you say about Donald Sutherland, the dude is seriously underrated. What a face on him, he manages to convey so much with only the subtlest of expressions.

I had some problems with the way the mother was characterized but I ultimately liked her conclusion. It was realistic and still left room for optimism in the grand narrative.

The film was shot mindfully, especially nice were the therapy scenes, and the shots with just mom and dad.

Overall, this was a solid one; it kept my attention throughout.

8.5/10

1. Blue Ruin - Don't know much about this, heard it's exciting and it's a recent film I missed.

2. Garden of Words - Heard it's very pretty.

3. Certified Copy - Heard about this director for the first time from this thread a few pages back. Let's see how it goes!

4. We Need To Talk About Kevin- Chili needs to see a film about Kevin?

5. F For Fake – I think I’ve seen enough Orson Welles at this point to merit giving this one a go.

6. Metropolis – Hitler pick.

7. *NEW* The Best Years of Our Lives *NEW* - I'm keeping the number 7 slot open for movies that my mom picks for me. She insists that I'll enjoy this one.

8. Deconstructing Harry - More Woody please!

9. Beasts Of The Southern Wild - All I know is that the kid is supposed to be great.

10. Good Morning, Vietnam- My understanding is that this is somewhat overrated but it's never boring watching Robin Williams.

126 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9/10, The Blues Brothers 5/10, Notorious 7/10, Little Shop of Horrors 9/10 , The Last Starfighter 7/10, Rebel Without A Cause 8.5/10, Sherlock Jr. 7.5/10, Intolerable Cruelty, 9/10, The Ladykillers 9/10, Spring Breakers 7.5/10, Touch of Evil 8/10, The Purple Rose of Cairo, 9/10, My Cousin Vinny 7/10, Galaxy Quest 8/10, First Blood, 9/10, Arsenic and Old Lace, 7/10, Mad Max 2, 9/10, The Raid: Redemption, 8/10, Kramer vs. Kramer 9.5/10, Nightcrawler 10/10, Frank 9/10, Strangers On A Train 8/10 , Wild Strawberries 7.5/10, They Came Together 5.5/10, The Squid and the Whale, 10/10, Poolhall Junkies 1/10, Citizenfour 10/10, The 400 Blows 9.5/10, Event Horizon 2/10, Ashes and Diamonds, 8/10 Defending Your Life 9/10, The Informant! 8.5/10 The Lady and the Tramp 8.5/10, Memories of Murder 8.5/10, Ordinary People 8.5/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 7, 2016