Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I have a little time before summer stuff starts, so I've actually been catching up on these sorts of movies. Yesterday I saw Goodfellas (and Paths of Glory) and today I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey. Soon I'll watch Adaptation (which I know isn't regarded as great, but I was intrigued after I saw it referenced in an interview with Spike Jonze leading up to "Where the wild things are")

Anyways, here's a list, mostly based on the IMDB top 250

1) Rear Window - What can I say, I'm not that crazy about most black and white movies

2) Metropolis - I skipped class the day we were supposed to see it in german film class

3) The Thing - I would have taken it out but someone else has it overdue at the local indie video store

4) The Matrix - When this came out, it looked like a giant martial artsy piece of poo poo and I had no interest. I had even less interest when every other movie did the same fight scene for the following 10 years. Maybe it's time to revisit it.

5) North by Northwest - Again, black and white. I do like Cary Grant though.

6) Rashomon - I'm intrigued, but I never had a reason to see it.

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm a little scared of its length, but maybe this is the week to tackle it!

8) Amelie - The only Jeunet I've seen is Alien Resurrection

9) Chinatown - I actually caught the end on TV one day, but I'd still like to see it.

10) The Elephant Man - I'm a little worried that it'll be disappointing since I've seen people reference it and parody it.

oh, and for TonTon, See Wall-E. First movie I cried watching since I was a little kid.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

thegloaming posted:

Good news: it's in color!

I am shamed anew.

... a second time!

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 1, 2010

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Bedevere posted:

I haven't seen any of them. I suspect your ranking is right. I can't imagine Guy Ritchie producing anything but turds.

Snatch is honestly very good. There are some silly parts, but the story as a whole works.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
First off Aces High, watch Alien. In the dark.

Now along with Rear Window I rented Rashomon and Chinatown. The latter two will be watched soon.

Rear Window was a great thriller that was sadly a little dated. The ending was clear to me from the start, probably as a result of it influencing just about every movie since it came out. Principally it's a commentary on voyeurism and the things you can be lead to do by your own stubborn refusal to take a good hard look at yourself once in awhile.

One thing that I didn't like was that the primary driving force of the action was characters being lousy people and/or cockamamie reactors to it. There were a number of times where I couldn't understand why anybody wanted to be around Jimmy Stewart's character. He was pretty much a jerk from beginning to end. This is something I've noticed about other older movies as well (I couldn't finish Bringing up Baby. Katherine Hepburn's character essentially broke up the poor guy's marriage. Why did Cary Grant's character stick around?) Maybe it's a sign of the times (along with the rampant misogyny).

Skeesix posted:

1) Rear Window - What can I say, I'm not that crazy about most black and white movies

1) 7 Samurai

2) Metropolis - I skipped class the day we were supposed to see it in german film class

3) The Thing - I would have taken it out but someone else has it overdue at the local indie video store

4) The Matrix - When this came out, it looked like a giant martial artsy piece of poo poo and I had no interest. I had even less interest when every other movie did the same fight scene for the following 10 years. Maybe it's time to revisit it.

5) North by Northwest - Again, black and white. I do like Cary Grant though.

6) Rashomon - I'm intrigued, but I never had a reason to see it.

6) Night of the Hunter

7) Lawrence of Arabia - I'm a little scared of its length, but maybe this is the week to tackle it!

8) Amelie - The only Jeunet I've seen is Alien Resurrection

9) Chinatown - I actually caught the end on TV one day, but I'd still like to see it.

9) Unforgiven

10) The Elephant Man - I'm a little worried that it'll be disappointing since I've seen people reference it and parody it.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 5, 2010