Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have never seen I Will Walk Like A Crazy Horse.

I just saw From Dusk Til Dawn last night.

I've never seen The Pianist or North By Northwest, but went out of my way to see Knife in the Water and Frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The book is but the movie sure as hell isn't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is nothing essential whatsoever in Godfather III, especially next to two of the greatest films of all time.

FitFortDanga posted:

I won't recommend since I'm already in the cycle (just put Shrek on hold at the library!) but I would say 7 or 8 of those are overrated to some degree.

But they're all worth watching, in any case, although I've never seen La Regle du Jeu.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I gotta say I really intensely disliked Cinema Paradiso and I don't really remember why.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The sequels (especially Rambo III) are much more amusing and disturbing taking into account the premise of First Blood.

Are we to take it that the government got hold of John Rambo, managed to successfully re-indoctrinate him (probably at the hands of the CIA) to the point of erasing his history in exchange for clemency for his crimes? This kinda makes him a one-man Kurtz, the perfect mercenary, an utterly remorseless, autonomous psychopath on a swivel to be pointed at the enemy of the week.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That bottom 15 list is loving awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good take on it, but think about this: is someone who contracts cancer deserving of what they got?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chili posted:

Of course not, but this is a film and a work of fiction. All I'm saying is that the transformation would have been weightier if it were brought on by a flaw.

And you make a perfect point. Someone getting aimlessly struck with cancer is horrible and sad, and in reality, that's not a movie that anyone would want to watch.

Ultimately, we're just made to feel really really badly for Brundle. It hurts more than it teaches or tells a good story. To be clear, The Flu is still fantastic and it's a very powerful film.

Right, but that is the "horror" of "body horror". We are all trapped in vessels that can capriciously betray us. I think that's what elevates the film, Seth is not a hubristic mad scientist (he is, a bit, just like the also ridiculously named Stathis Borans is a total rear end in a top hat but heroically intervenes because he wants to save Ronnie's life) but a mortal who is both fascinated and frightened by something happening to him that he has no specific control over. It's much more poignant that he isn't a Victor Frankensteinesque megalomaniac.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, Leon is a good movie, but it's not great and I don't quite get where the obsession comes from. However, it is one of Gary Oldman's best performances.

That mystery is real easy to solve.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Night of the Living Dead is a better movie specifically because they never address Ben's race.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought Shaun of the Dead was one of the most larded, purposeful scripts I'd ever seen until I saw Hot Fuzz. It's Swiss watch comedy. drat near everything is called back, relevant to some minor background gag, is either the set up or the payoff to another joke, etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The two guys Spade regularly disarms are professional criminals, but are hardly tough guys. One's a kid and the other is Peter Lorre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anybody can be tough with a gun in their hand. Spade's repeated dressing down of the kid is making a point about Sam Spade; he's seasoned, unimpressed by "tough guys", knows how to size people up, knows that getting the drop on someone, etc, trumps standing around with a scowl on your face. The kid is even wearing a suit that's too big for him to try and look more impressive. Lorre is a slimy dandy of ambiguous allegiance. He's quite serious about his obsession with the Falcon but isn't really committed to hurting anyone. It's not really a story about Sam Spade being seriously imperiled and I think it comes off well. I think a lot of times people expect a noir hero to be like Mike Hammer, who at times is just a seething, obsessive brawler, but Spade is more like Sherlock Holmes, spending more time rolling cigarettes and pondering over riddles rather than getting into bar brawls.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, they allude to that a couple of times and Gutman's near-amusement at that revelation seals it. It's almost like "ah, of course! See you in Tangiers, then..."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Until 1989 (I believe), South Korea was also ruled by a military dictatorship.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

XenJ posted:

Why? give me a example for a movie that is as DC version not better as the normal...

Let's start with the obvious one: Apocalypse Now: Redux.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, literally everything about Bogie and Grant is pretty dissimilar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart is actually a better argument for "pretty similar".