Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ProfessorClumsy, Casablanca for you it is.

Here's my list of curiosities in no particular order:

1) Koyaanisqatsi - Been meaning to see it, sounds gorgeous but every time I've considered renting it my short attention span directs me somewhere else.

2) Baraka - See #1. It sounds like it'd be logical to watch this as a followup to Koyaanisqatsi, I dunno.

3) Black Robe - Seen this on the shelf a couple times, most information I've seen on it compares it to Dances with Wolves with a more objectionable protagonist. Curious to see if it follows the same themes and stuff considering it came out a year after.

4) Hard Boiled - Never seen a John Woo film other than Face/Off and Windtalkers. Everyone I've seen talk about this flim has described it as "shootout perfection".

5) Hoosiers - I do have a soft spot for college basketball and Gene Hackman, but it kind of sounds like the definition setter for "inspirational sports film". Wouldn't mind seeing it though if the performances are spot-on.

6) Easy Rider - It's a crime I've never seen anything Dennis Hopper did before the 80's.

7) Mr. Smith goes to Washington - Only other Jimmy Stewart movie I can think of from around the same time as It's a Wonderful Life.

8) Pan's Labyrinth - The DVD's still sitting in my pile in shrinkwrap. I don't have a good excuse for why I keep forgetting/ignoring this one.

9) Logan's Run - Sounds like it'd be cheesy but enjoyable '70s sci-fi. Also, a joke from the Simpsons based on this movie befuddled me for the longest time.

10) Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - I forgot entirely about this one until Twin Cinema put Holy Grail in his list. Seen that one but not this yet.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

iastudent: you need to pick one for ProfessorClumsy

Whoops, didn't see a list there. Fixed that.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You forgot to pick a movie for me. :mad:

EDIT: I dunno what's wrong with me today. Anything that isn't a nicely formatted list with numbers and stuff just gets glazed over by myself.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 1, 2010

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

With some time free I sat down and watched Pan's Labyrinth tonight. I'm still kicking myself over why I've had this sitting on my shelf for three years without opening it. Everything about it is just so well put together. The design of the fantastical settings (especially that of the creatures) is meretriciously crafted and really sets up the stark contrast between Ofelia's adventure and the civil war occurring around her.

While I can't draw up any fair comparisons at this time, I for one found Captain Vidal as one of the most sadistic antagonists I remember seeing on film in a long time. For a film that blurs the line between fantasy and reality, I found myself wondering if Vidal was set up to be a fairy tale villain; being evil for the sake of being evil.

I'll definitely be revisiting this movie in the near future. Kyle Hyde, give Network a watch, you'll be glad you did. Here's my updated list:

iastudent posted:

1) Koyaanisqatsi - Been meaning to see it, sounds gorgeous but every time I've considered renting it my short attention span directs me somewhere else.

2) Baraka - See #1. It sounds like it'd be logical to watch this as a followup to Koyaanisqatsi, I dunno.

3) Black Robe - Seen this on the shelf a couple times, most information I've seen on it compares it to Dances with Wolves with a more objectionable protagonist. Curious to see if it follows the same themes and stuff considering it came out a year after.

4) Hard Boiled - Never seen a John Woo film other than Face/Off and Windtalkers. Everyone I've seen talk about this flim has described it as "shootout perfection".

5) Hoosiers - I do have a soft spot for college basketball and Gene Hackman, but it kind of sounds like the definition setter for "inspirational sports film". Wouldn't mind seeing it though if the performances are spot-on.

6) Easy Rider - It's a crime I've never seen anything Dennis Hopper did before the 80's.

7) Mr. Smith goes to Washington - Only other Jimmy Stewart movie I can think of from around the same time as It's a Wonderful Life.

8) Logan's Run - Sounds like it'd be cheesy but enjoyable '70s sci-fi. Also, a joke from the Simpsons based on this movie befuddled me for the longest time.

9) Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - I forgot entirely about this one until Twin Cinema put Holy Grail in his list. Seen that one but not this yet.

10) This Is Spinal Tap - Seen it parodied and referenced a million times, really curious to see if the original still holds up today.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

TequilaJesus, Metropolis may surprise you. Make sure you grab the Kino International version, it's the most complete that's been publicly released so far.

Just finished watching This is Spinal Tap and I'll say, yeah, it's still pretty drat relevant today. Just about every facet of rock and roll you can think of is lumped in, from the personalities of the musicians to the music to internal band politics. It presses on all those buttons and more with a steamroller.

Needless to say, I lost my poo poo at the revealing of the "monument" during their Stonehenge number.

Updated list:

iastudent posted:

8) Logan's Run - Sounds like it'd be cheesy but enjoyable '70s sci-fi. Also, a joke from the Simpsons based on this movie befuddled me for the longest time.

9) Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - I forgot entirely about this one until Twin Cinema put Holy Grail in his list. Seen that one but not this yet.

10) Cool Hand Luke - My knowledge of this film only extends as far as its classic opening line.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 7, 2010