Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hellbunny, I give you Memento. While it didn't warp my mind the way I was told it would it's still great and worthwhile and it's executed brilliantly.

My list:

1) Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

2) Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

3) The Warriors - Always interested me, never sat down with it.

4) The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

5) There Will Be Blood - I've heard a lot about it.

6) Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

7) Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

8) Pan's Labyrinth - Looks great, heard a lot about it.

9) American History X - Same reason as everything else here.

10) High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Hellbunny posted:

TrixRabbi, how the gently caress did Memento not warp your mind? I really can't think of any movie that has so much mind fuckery (whille not being an arthouse film).

I thought it was a great film, and I loved the way it played with your impressions of each character, but like Inception - my mind wasn't blown.

As for Pan's Labyrinth, especially after a day of watching terrible movies (Darkness Falls, Cop Out), it was excellent. I kind of expected the fantasy element to be the main focal point but still, it was magnificent.

Here is my updated list:

1) Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

2) Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

3) The Warriors - Always interested me, never sat down with it.

4) The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

5) There Will Be Blood - I've heard a lot about it.

6) Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

7) Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

8) American History X - Same reason as everything else here.

9) High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

10) The Wild Bunch - I have my uncle's copy lying around (He'd probably like it back). I started watching it but it really kind of subverted what I was expecting it to be and I really didn't like it. I turned it off about half an hour in, but I figure I should probably finish it.

Finally, Peaceful Anarchy, I'm gonna give you Koyaanisqati.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 22, 2010

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alright, took awhile for Netflix to get it to me but I just finished The Warriors and it was pretty drat good. I felt like the dialogue could've been a bit more polished but I loved the world they created there. It was definitely as good as I hoped it would be. 8/10

As well, I wound up watching The Wild Bunch on my own so I guess I can cross that off my list as well. I really didn't like the first half hour or so, it had some odd edits and I wasn't feeling it but it picked up once the plot started moving and it got more streamline. Overall a 7/10.

I liked the method Zogo's been using number the movies by when they entered the list so I'm gonna switch to that.

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

#5 There Will Be Blood - I've heard a lot about it.

#6 Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#8 American History X - Same reason as everything else here.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#12 Barton Fink - I'm a big Coen Brothers fan but still haven't gotten around to this one. I've heard good things.

#13 Chinatown - Don't think I've actually ever seen a Polanski film before.

Finally, Arturo Ui, I'm giving you Blazing Saddles. Brooks is kind of different every film and can often be hit or miss. Blazing Saddles is one I love and is in my opinion his finest hour.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

MonkeeKong, you get The Manchurian Candidate.

So Chinatown was excellent. It made me remember how much I love Jack Nicholson as well. I'm not sure whether The Two Jakes is worth watching or not though.

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

#5 There Will Be Blood - I've heard a lot about it.

#6 Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#12 Barton Fink - I'm a big Coen Brothers fan but still haven't gotten around to this one. I've heard good things.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

BisonDallah, you're getting A Streetcar Named Desire.

So I just started college and hadn't had any time to watch movies. But now that I've settled in I sat down and watched Dr. Strangelove this morning and while I wasn't in hysterics necessarily, Peter Sellers is a genius. His scenes as Mandrake were my favorite parts. 7.5/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

dotCommunism posted:

Rosemary's Baby - This one I've been meaning to see for a while. I haven't seen any of Polanski's so-called "Apartment Trilogy"

Happy Halloween.

Just finished American History X and drat, that is a powerful film. Definitely just took me back. 9/10.

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy, I'm giving you Novecento.

Barton Fink was amazing. Definitely the Coens in their top form. It also makes me wonder why John Turturro isn't better recognized as an actor. Everyone in this film is perfect and I love every one of the Coen's little motifs and symbols. It's always fun trying to figure them out while watching their films. 9/10

#17 Seven Samurai - I enjoyed Rashomon and for a film with such praise I should probably watch it. The run time was a little off putting but I do want to see it.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Guess I'll spread these over three nights.

They get progressively better as you go along. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

As for Apocalypse Now, I'm at college and the library only has a VHS copy. Since it's not on Netflix Instant I'm waiting for them to get it in on DVD from a inter-library loan.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Rogetz, it was hard to pick just one but I'm giving you Easy Rider. It may take multiple viewings to really appreciate it but it's a great film.

Anyway, I finally managed to get my hands on Apocalypse Now and I have to say that was magnificent. I just finished it and I'm still recovering. 10/10

#17 Seven Samurai - I enjoyed Rashomon and for a film with such praise I should probably watch it. The run time was a little off putting but I do want to see it.

#18 M - I've never seen a Lang film before and I'm not sure whether I should start here or with Metropolis. However, I've had an interest in seeing this one for awhile and I do love Peter Lorre.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier, I know nothing about it but take your chances with The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Well, I finished with Eraserhead and...WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT? I've never been so disturbed and unsettled by a movie before. I suppose I'm glad I finally saw it but goddamn I never want to see it again. I had to force myself to finish. I can't say it was a bad film, it was very good from a quality-based view point, but it certainly wasn't an enjoyable way to spend my night. I had no trouble following it, I just didn't expect that. I'm not turned off of David Lynch, but that movie is hosed. Still, assuming the odd phrasing of the dialogue was intentional the acting was excellent and David Lynch is a great director, just completely disturbed. 5/10

#18 M - I've never seen a Lang film before and I'm not sure whether I should start here or with Metropolis. However, I've had an interest in seeing this one for awhile and I do love Peter Lorre.

#19 Annie Hall - Haven't seen a Woody Allen film and I need to add something more lighthearted to the list.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead

EDIT: Speaking of the King of Comedy I just watched it for the first time last week and it's not supposed to be a comedy. I thought it was excellent and it felt reminiscent of Taxi Driver in a way.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 12, 2010

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy, any movie named <---> is definitely something I want to know more about. Tell us how it is.

The Maltese Falcon was pretty drat good. Took a bit to get into it but once I did I really loved how everything wrapped up. Bogart is brilliant. 8/10

#19 Annie Hall - Haven't seen a Woody Allen film and I need to add something more lighthearted to the list.

#20 Terminator 2: Judgment Day - My nerd cred is suffering.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

meanmikhail, you get La Dolce Vita.

Managed to get Annie Hall in today. It was great, definitely one of the best sculpted comedies I've seen. 8/10

#21 The Seventh Seal - Been meaning to start with Bergman for awhile. Also, I want to know how that chess game ends.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Bown, give Scorsese another shot and try Goodfellas. (By the way, have you seen Taxi Driver? Easily his best in my opinion.)

Just finished Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and that was a crazy movie. Quite good although I had some trouble getting into it at first. 8/10

#21 The Seventh Seal - Been meaning to start with Bergman for awhile. Also, I want to know how that chess game ends.

#22 Casablanca - Time to admit I haven't seen this one. Watching Bogart in The Maltese Falcon reminded me.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 23, 2010

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

chemosh, I'm honored to make you watch Dirty Harry. Do you feel lucky?

Anyway, I've got nothing to do all night so movies it is and I must say Casablanca lived up to it's reputation. Excellent in all regards and it drew me in from the start, something that for some reason The Maltese Falcon didn't do. 9/10

#23 Mulholland Dr. - Let's give Lynch another go.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Wow, Peaceful Anarchy has a movie I've actually seen. You get A Nightmare On Elm Street. I can't guarantee you'll like it but it's a fun movie and everyone should see it at some point.

Anyways, I finally managed to fit M into my schedule. I had some trouble trying to watch it in one sitting though. Still, the final trial scene was brilliant and easily the best part of the film. In general the whole movie was a lot more enjoyable once the chase is actually on for Lorre. 7/10

#24 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I haven't watched a western in a while and this has been on my to do list for a long time.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy, I'm really tempted to give you Showgirls. However, since it's Christmas I'm going to instead give you The Ten Commandments.

So Seven Samurai was amazing. The runtime may have been too long but there's never a dull moment. I still feel that through everything the scene of the peasant picking the rice off the floor was the most powerful scene in the whole movie. 10/10

#24 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I haven't watched a western in a while and this has been on my to do list for a long time.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Pills for your ills, having just watched Seven Samurai I think you'll enjoy it.

Terminator 2 was loving awesome. Although John Connor as a 10 year old "badass" is kind of cheesy and wore on me at times. Still great movie. 8/10

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - Let's do this.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli, I watched Food Inc. for a Current Issues class I took last year. It's very good, I hope you learn from it.

So in the time it took me to get a copy of The Seventh Seal I wound up watching The Godfather as well. That was an excellent film and I plan to watch Part II relatively soon. I really enjoyed it. 10/10

However, The Seventh Seal was one of the most amazing films I think I've ever seen. In terms of cinema as an art this blew me away. I absolutely loved it. 10/10 for an entirely different reaction.

#27 2001: A Space Odyssey - Been trying to knock down Kubrick for awhile. This is probably the biggest one I haven't watched yet though I still have a ways to go.

#28 The Bicycle Thief - Don't know much about this but I like the idea of it.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 3, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

TenSpadesBeTrump, watch Toy Story 3, because why not?

Well, Mulholland Dr. was interesting. I'd be lying if I said I understood it, but I'd also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. I'll definitely have to read up on it and watch it again. Still, some loose ends there, although I guess nothing is to be expected from Lynch. At least it wasn't as much of a mindfuck or as disturbing as Eraserhead was. It did however give Lynch an appropriate second chance so there'll probably be some more of his movie on this list in the future. 8/10

#27 2001: A Space Odyssey - Been trying to knock down Kubrick for awhile. This is probably the biggest one I haven't watched yet though I still have a ways to go.

#29 Wild Strawberries - Thinking about it the day after I think The Seventh Seal may be one of my new favorite movies. Let's get some more Bergman.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Dr.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey, I'm happy to make you watch Brazil

2001 was very interesting. Kubrick is always big on geometry and it really stuck out here. It was odd that it crawled at some spots, yet others the time flew by. Overall I greatly enjoyed it, especially because I was expecting the whole film to be more like the last half hour. 9/10

#29 Wild Strawberries - Thinking about it the day after I think The Seventh Seal may be one of my new favorite movies. Let's get some more Bergman.

#30 The Silence Of The Lambs - As a kid I always saw horror movies as something spectacular mainly because I didn't get to watch a lot of them. So this was one I always wanted to see but never got to.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mucky, I want you to watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show but you either have to go to a midnight screening of it, or if that's not possible, watch it with a bunch of friends. It's a social movie and it's a lot of fun. If you really want you can watch it by yourself, it's still enjoyable, but for the full experience you really need to go to a screening.

So I have no life, although school vacation gives me a lot of free time. Silence of the Lambs was very good. I was always afraid it'd be a bit too gruesome, and while some of the postmortem photos left me unsettled I still enjoyed the movie a lot. Anthony Hopkins is just having too much fun in this role. 9/10

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

PDMChubby, I think if I see Brazil on someone's list I have to give it to them.

I have to agree that Pee-Wee's big adventure is just pure fun. I actually remember seeing the beginning on TV late one night but I got too tired and turned it off. I also won't be able to get the Breakfast Machine music out of my head for days now.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CloseFriend posted:

This is basically how I felt about the movie. I was still at least lukewarm toward it, but it's the only Scorsese movie that ever disappointed me. But still, Scorsese is very, very prolific, so as far as I'm concerned he gets a pass if one or two films don't affect me much.

I mainly fell into the trap of believing the focus was on his career and that it'd be just a dark, gritty boxing movie. Instead I got to watch 2 hours of one of the most unlikeable assholes to ever grace cinema. I've only seen it once but in retrospect I feel like I'd enjoy it more on a second viewing, since I now know what to expect.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Nice to have you Punch Drunk Drewsky, I'll start you off with The Graduate. Enjoy.

So Butch Cassidy was quite enjoyable. Overall just a really well done and fun western. 7.5/10

#32 12 Angry Men - Trying to go through IMDb's Top 250. This is one of the highest rated I've yet to see.

#33 The Thing - John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, sci-fi/horror classic. Why haven't I seen this?

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Archyduke, you get Shoot The Piano Player.

Wild Strawberries was very good, although I enjoyed The Seventh Seal a lot more. I feel like if I were to wait once every several years or so and watch it again I'd grow to appreciate it more. It actually reminded me a lot of Seventh Seal, between Isak gaining his own sort of entourage as he travels through his story. Not to mention the themes of death, fidelity, living life to it's fullest. Also the chessboard in the beginning and Max von Sydow popping up made me think of it as well. I'm definitely throwing some more Bergman on this list in the future. 8/10

#33 The Thing - John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, sci-fi/horror classic. Why haven't I seen this?

#34 A Fish Called Wanda - Probably the biggest post-Python project from any of the troupe that I've yet to see.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 12, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

3. The Sting: It has Robert Redford and Paul Newman so I've never been sure that my body could handle that much concentrated charm.

Looks like I'm picking for you again. So you get The Sting, mainly because I just watched it the other day.

So I took out two movies this time. I watched High Fidelity and Goldfinger last night.

High Fidelity - Was beginning to think this would never get picked. It may not be on the same caliber as some of the classics that have been on my list I still enjoyed it. Jack Black's wackiness has always made me laugh. All my friends were always shocked when I said I've never seen it, mainly because I'm the big record collecting guy among them. Rob Gordon is a complete rear end in a top hat but John Cusack played it perfectly. 7.5/10

Goldfinger - This was the first Connery era Bond film I've watched all the way through. Even then I've only seen a small handful of other Bonds. I definitely enjoyed this more than any of them, although I will say Bond was a bit useless in this one. He gets captured and just kind of lucks or fucks his way out of everything, although that really kind of is the Bond character in general. It was still a lot of fun. 7/10

#34 A Fish Called Wanda - Probably the biggest post-Python project from any of the troupe that I've yet to see.

#35 8 1/2 - Never seen any Fellini. I have watched the opening scene of this one though, and I've been on a surrealism kick lately so I think once I really sit down with the film I'll get into it.

#36 The Elephant Man - More Lynch, why not?

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Porcupine Hunted, you've got a list of some great movies. But I feel it's most important that you see Ghostbusters as soon as possible. Hell, I just watched it the other day.

The Bicycle Thief was astounding. I don't think I could give it anything less than 10/10.

#35 8 1/2 - Never seen any Fellini. I have watched the opening scene of this one though, and I've been on a surrealism kick lately so I think once I really sit down with the film I'll get into it.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 19, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tokillthesunflower, you get Fanny and Alexander

I really got into The Thing. The movie was a lot of fun and that fact that my dorm room has an awful draft actually made the movie more enjoyable. Definitely a great middle of winter horror film. The special effects were the perfect mix of disgusting, yet watchable. As well, Kurt Russell is always just a ton of fun to watch. 8/10

#35 - Never seen any Fellini. I have watched the opening scene of this one though, and I've been on a surrealism kick lately so I think once I really sit down with the film I'll get into it.

#37 Rebecca - A Hitchcock film I didn't really even know existed til I got into classic films. I know absolutely nothing else about this one.

#38 Spirited Away - I remember when this first came out. I saw part of it but never watched the whole thing beyond the first half hour or so. Even today I barely remember what I did see.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 24, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I want a movie too... :(

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey, you get 12 Monkeys.

Glad to finally watch Bonnie and Clyde. It was a shame I had it sitting around for as long as I did. C.W. and Blanche were rather annoying though but it was a fun movie overall. 7.5/10

#35 - Never seen any Fellini. I have watched the opening scene of this one though, and I've been on a surrealism kick lately so I think once I really sit down with the film I'll get into it.

#38 Spirited Away - I remember when this first came out. I saw part of it but never watched the whole thing beyond the first half hour or so. Even today I barely remember what I did see.

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

TenSpadesBeTrump, you get The Green Mile.

And there goes my original list. There Will Be Blood was great. I had trouble getting interested until about the last hour or so, but around the point where Daniel goes to the church, I got sucked in. The last scene was so bizarre that it could have been comical yet instead just felt dirty and horrifying. That's great filmmaking right there. 8/10

#39 The Rules Of The Game - It's held strong onto #3 in the TSPDT Top 1000 for a long time, although I honestly don't know anything else about it other than that it's French.

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

Oooh you fucker I can't wait to give you The Human Condition. So much Nakadai. So much slapping. So much beard.

Likewise I can't wait to make you watch Trash Humpers. So much trash. So much humping.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Kull, you get Rashomon.

I [fittingly] can't really compose my thoughts about 8 1/2. It was very good but I felt lost at times and the ending kind of left me a bit puzzled about what happened with everything, and whether it was another dream sequence or not.

#40 Once Upon A Time In The West - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is one of my all time favorite films.

#41 The Man Who Wasn't There - I do love the Coens. This has been on my to watch list for a very long time.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Picking for you again, Punch Drunk Drewsky, this time you get Straw Dogs.

Of the handful of Miyzaki films I've seen, Spirited Away is easily the best so far (Still need to see Totoro among others). I really got into it and I actually remembered quite a bit from what I saw, despite it being 8 years since I last started it. 8/10

#41 The Man Who Wasn't There - I do love the Coens. This has been on my to watch list for a very long time.

#42 The Big Sleep - I'm really not that well versed in classic noir.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang sounds like a fun time (never heard of it). Watch that one.

I'll be lying if I said I was able to follow everything that happened in The Big Sleep, but it was pretty drat entertaining. I'll definitely revisit it someday.

#43 Rosemary's Baby - I've been meaning to watch this for literally years.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away, #42 The Big Sleep

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 10, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

morestuff posted:

The second one (Die Harder) and fourth one (Live Free or Die Hard) aren't very good, but the third (Die Hard With A Vengeance) is almost as good as the first.

If you watch the fourth one, watch the Unrated version. It's so much better. Regardless, none come close to the first, but they're all enjoyable.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

Diabolik People like this, right? It's looks cool.

This one.

A Fish Called Wanda was pretty drat funny. Not as Pythonesque as I thought it was gonna be, but it had some classic moments regardless. 7.5/10

#44 Dog Day Afternoon - Pacino at his prime.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away, #42 The Big Sleep, #34 A Fish Called Wanda

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

New one: Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song I've had enough of The Man.

Aaaaw yeeaah...

The Man Who Wasn't There has to be one of the Coen's most underrated films. I'll definitely have to read The Stranger now. For some reason I thought the movie had a bit more to do with UFOs than it did. It really captured the feel of an authentic 50s-era noir. 8/10

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day, #15 The Godfather, #21 The Seventh Seal, #23 Mulholland Drive, #27 2001: A Space Odyssey, #30 The Silence Of The Lambs, #26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, #24 Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, #29 Wild Strawberries, #9 High Fidelity, #7 Goldfinger, #28 The Bicycle Thief, #33 The Thing, #16 Bonnie And Clyde, #5 There Will Be Blood, #35 8½, #38 Spirited Away, #42 The Big Sleep, #34 A Fish Called Wanda, #41 The Man Who Wasn't There

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ah well. I'll watch it anyway. Apparently my family would always watch it at Thanksgiving when I was very young, but I never paid any attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

Black God, White Devil What a great title.

Speaking of hat tricks... I was tempted to give you Across 110th Street, as I've actually seen it, but this one's been here for awhile. Also, while an enjoyable movie, the theme song really is the best part of 110th Street. Anyway, watch that one, whatever it is.

12 Angry Men was fantastic. Really, a perfectly written film. I was surprised that it grabbed me and pulled me into the case so early on. This is how to loving make a courtroom drama. 9/10

#45 Persona - Bergmanbergmanbergmanbergmanbergman.

#46 The 400 Blows - In a row?

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men