Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
dotCommunism, you're stuck with Intolerance because I only just watched Birth of a Nation recently, and I'm just as interested for Griffith's potential redemption.

From Gerber, it's Baby's First List!
One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest Like a lot of these are going to be, it’s a case of ‘I haven’t gotten around to it’. I like me some Nicholson, so why not?

Any Hitchcock. Any at all I think I watched Rear Window once, but other than that I’ve never actually watched one of his movies.

Seven Samurai I watched The Magnificent Seven recently, and so I’d like to get in on this as well.

Rashomon Another Kurosawa, ‘cause I need to culture my uncouth self.

Akira I like post-apocalyptic stuff, and I feel like I should watch some good anime for once in my life.

Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick Been meaning to get around to these. Watched a bit of one of them on a friend’s laptop, and I’d really like to see the rest.

Heat The only heist movies I’ve ever watched are Inside Man and the Ocean’s series, so I’m interested in some variety.

Eraserhead Because mindfucks never go out of style.

28 Days/Weeks Later Just got a two-pack of these, so I’ll probably get ‘em done on my own time, but hey, might as well fill out the list.

The Usual Suspects I have honestly never finished watching this. I know the twist because goddamn internet, but I still feel like I need to finish it off, just for my own satisfaction and because what I already watched was quite awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
So, finally watched Akira (Took me long enough huh?). It was a very enjoyable film. The biggest factors in my enjoyment was that Kaneda isn't really a hero in any capacity. He gets dragged into the plot from trying to get laid, and never really has any idea what's going on, but he keeps at it to save Tetsuo. And then because he's the only one who can defeat him. On the Tetsuo note, he's the most tragic antagonist I can think of right now. Poor guy just wanted to be respected. And then he went crazy. Also, the Colonel is a complete and total badass. The art is amazing, especially for 1988, and everything looks just so... cyberpunk, that it's hard not to see where it has influenced everything else.
If there's really anything negative I can say about it, it'd probably be that it takes a little long to really hit it's stride, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be rooting against the Espers as much as I did. Still, overall a great movie (So very 80s, but that's not necessarily a bad thing), and responsible for restoring my faith in anime as a whole.

Coincidentally, I ended up watching One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest in my Psychology class, so that's another off the list. Was also great. Not sure what else to say on the matter besides holy poo poo that was Danny DeVito?

Penismightier, Diabolique is a great movie, and thus you shall watch it.

List time!

Any Hitchcock. Any at all I think I watched Rear Window once, but other than that I’ve never actually watched one of his movies.

Seven Samurai I watched The Magnificent Seven recently, and so I’d like to get in on this as well.

Rashomon Another Kurosawa, ‘cause I need to culture my uncouth self.

Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick Been meaning to get around to these. Watched a bit of one of them on a friend’s laptop, and I’d really like to see the rest.

Heat The only heist movies I’ve ever watched are Inside Man and the Ocean’s series, so I’m interested in some variety.

Eraserhead Because mindfucks never go out of style.

28 Days/Weeks Later Just got a two-pack of these, so I’ll probably get ‘em done on my own time, but hey, might as well fill out the list.

The Usual Suspects I have honestly never finished watching this. I know the twist because goddamn internet, but I still feel like I need to finish it off, just for my own satisfaction and because what I already watched was quite awesome.

New! The Wild Bunch Been in a western-y mood lately, and realized I'd never watched this, so here it is.

New! Shaft Just bought a vinyl of the soundtrack, it'd be downright wrong if I don't watch the movie.

Watched: Akira, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Giving you Raising Arizona. A local theater is doing a Nicolas Cage retrospective this month, so why not spread the Cage love? It is a very silly movie, and Cage flourishes in it.

I had a list in the thread forever ago but it was pretty poo poo so here's a new one.

1) La Strada (1954) - Two friends of mine saw it a while back, and have been pestering me to get around to watching it after I bought the DVD. Haven't watched any Fellini before, so going in kinda blind.

2) The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - I've just never gotten around to it, and isn't that the point of this thread?

3) Vertigo (1958) - I haven't watched an awful lot of Hitchcock, but I've liked what I've watched, so I'm looking forward to more.

4) Solaris (1972) - I saw one scene from this forever ago and have wanted to see it since. Finally got the DVD a couple months ago but just haven't gotten to watching it yet.

5) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I should probably see this at some point, huh? Need to fulfill my Kubrick quota.

6) The Godfather: Part II (1974) - I've seen the first, though I'll probably watch it again with this. C'mon Pacino, prove you do more than just shout!

7) Sanjuro (1962) - I love Kurosawa, I love Mifune, and I loved Yojimbo. I feel it's a safe bet that I will love this.

8) 12 Angry Men (1957) - I know that it's about a jury, and that they're very incensed about deciding the verdict.

9) The Rules of the Game (1939) - Wikipedia says it's a comedy about the French upper-class just before World War II. Sounds interesting.

10) The Seventh Seal (1957) - Never watched a Bergman, but I know how influential this is and I've been told I'll love it, so I'm putting it up here.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

7) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) - I heard that Herzog went nuts making this film, or that he was already nuts but it manifested itself particularly strongly.

Haven't watched Aguirre myself, but a friend loves it, so you get it as the only thing on the list I really know enough to recommend.

2001... gently caress man. That was amazing. I got to see the bluray in a small theater environment too, which was definitely the best way to watch it short of waiting until I could see it on film somewhere. Officially one of my favorite films.

Lists!

La Strada (1954) - Two friends of mine saw it a while back, and have been pestering me to get around to watching it after I bought the DVD. Haven't watched any Fellini before, so going in kinda blind.

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - I've just never gotten around to it, and isn't that the point of this thread?

Vertigo (1958) - I haven't watched an awful lot of Hitchcock, but I've liked what I've watched, so I'm looking forward to more.

Solaris (1972) - I saw one scene from this forever ago and have wanted to see it since. Finally got the DVD a couple months ago but just haven't gotten to watching it yet.

The Godfather: Part II (1974) - I've seen the first, though I'll probably watch it again with this. C'mon Pacino, prove you do more than just shout!

Sanjuro (1962) - I love Kurosawa, I love Mifune, and I loved Yojimbo. I feel it's a safe bet that I will love this.

12 Angry Men (1957) - I know that it's about a jury, and that they're very incensed about deciding the verdict.

The Rules of the Game (1939) - Wikipedia says it's a comedy about the French upper-class just before World War II. Sounds interesting.

The Seventh Seal (1957) - Never watched a Bergman, but I know how influential this is and I've been told I'll love it, so I'm putting it up here.

Robinson Crusoe On Mars (1964) - Blind bought the Criterion. Looks like it's gonna be beautiful, but don't know anything else other than monkey in a space suit.

Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Space Cob posted:

Is there a specific cut of Metropolis that is preferred? IMDB points me to several different versions.

I believe the 2008 Kino Metropolis Restored cut is the most complete one available, and it's also on Netflix. The Giorgio Moroder version is on there as well, but that one has 80s pop instead of the original score, and uses subtitles instead of intercards, so it isn't really the original Metropolis anyway.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

I watched this in a class on Horror film last year, and while some of the effects are a bit dated the suspense still holds up incredibly well.

Finally watched Sanjuro. While I didn't think it was on the same level as Yojimbo, it's still a really great movie. Toshiro Mifune is always fantastic, but Tatsuya Nakadai also had a great performance as Muroto, and held his own with Mifune anytime the two shared the screen. The conspirators were well-acted too.

Plot-wise, while there's a number of similarities to Yojimbo, with a couple events that feel almost directly lifted from it, there's enough unique to the film that it doesn't feel stale, and the fact that the audience already knows what Sanjuro's plan is actually used to strong effect in at least the case of joining the opposing side under false pretenses. The development that both the young samurai and Sanjuro himself undergo is very nicely done, never really beating you over the head that they're changing, but instead having it appear natural and organic when it comes up. And I could gush for quite some time over that final scene.

Kurosawa's cinematography is still as beautiful as ever, with some wonderful use of depth to compose multiple layers to scenes. I don't think I'll ever get tired of his use of it instead of shot-reverse shot in conversations, partly because it always feels novel, partly because of the greater level of motion it allows, and partly just because I like long takes.

I actually also ended up watching La Strada during this interval. That is a beautiful and sad movie. Beautifully sad. I'm not sure what to say besides that.

-

My Shame:

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - I've just never gotten around to it, and isn't that the point of this thread?

The Godfather: Part II (1974) - I've seen the first, though I'll probably watch it again with this. C'mon Pacino, prove you do more than just shout!

12 Angry Men (1957) - I know that it's about a jury, and that they're very incensed about deciding the verdict.

Vertigo (1958) - I haven't watched an awful lot of Hitchcock, but I've liked what I've watched, so I'm looking forward to more.

The Rules of the Game (1939) - Wikipedia says it's a comedy about the French upper-class just before World War II. Sounds interesting.

The Seventh Seal (1957) - Never watched a Bergman, but I know how influential this is and I've been told I'll love it, so I'm putting it up here.

Solaris (1972) - I saw one scene from this forever ago and have wanted to see it since. Finally got the DVD a couple months ago but just haven't gotten to watching it yet.

Robinson Crusoe On Mars (1964) - Blind bought the Criterion. Looks like it's gonna be beautiful, but don't know anything else other than monkey in a space suit.

(1963) - Let's keep the Fellini train going with a movie about making a movie, shall we?

The Searchers (1956) – Not sure I've watched a John Ford film before, so I might as well start with what's regarded as his best.

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 3: 2001: A Space Odyssey, La Strada, Sanjuro

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Ixtlilton, there are so many films on your list I feel like I should give you, but let's shove you in the deep end with The Thin Red Line.

The Seventh Seal is incredible. It's the story of a crusader who is questioning his faith, and plays a game of chess with Death with his life as the stakes. Throughout it always focuses on these questions of life, death and faith, and how individuals cope with and answer these questions.

I actually watched it a few days ago, but put off posting here again because I just didn't know what to say about it beyond just heaps of praise. It's funny. It's heartbreaking. It's life-affirming. There are so many fantastic scenes, and shots, and performances, and it feels perfectly like a waking dream. I think I need to go back and watch it again just so I can better formulate what to say about it, but I loved this movie.

-

RandallODim's Wall of Shame:

(1963) - Let's keep the Fellini train going with a movie about making a movie, shall we?

The Searchers (1956) – Not sure I've watched a John Ford film before, so I might as well start with what's regarded as his best.

Tokyo Story (1953) - Gonna get me some pre-1980s Japanese cinema that isn't just Kurosawa!

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 4: 2001: A Space Odyssey, La Strada, Sanjuro, The Seventh Seal

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

friendo55 posted:

And as exciting as most of this film was, it was hard to get into when there was no mention of any names except for one or two early on. The two sides are clear, and there's plenty of extras to be found, but no names to any faces to focus these sequences a bit more.

This is actually a feature of both Battleship Potempkin and Strike, and it makes sense with the Communist stance of both films. There's no one member of the sailors (except maybe Vakulinchuk) or Odessans or factory workers who is more important than another; instead, the revolutionary collective as a whole is the 'protagonist' that we follow and support.

I was actually lucky enough to see Battleship Potempkin in a theater with a live orchestral score, and it was an incredible film to watch on the screen.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Nolanar, I wouldn't be in my right mind if I gave you anything besides Battleship Potempkin. It's a timeless masterpiece, and essential for any film buff. But this cold I have is affecting my judgement, so I can instead make you watch The Rock! Time to go home and gently caress the prom queen!

Solaris is a very good film, and I loved the manipulation of perspective through editing and cinematography in it, but the whole time I couldn't stop feeling like the film wasn't clicking with me on the right level. It might just be that it needs a second watch to make everything come together, but I think part of it was just that the first hour constantly felt like it could be condensed. It wasn't that I thought specific things could be cut, but just that it all felt overlong. Once Kris got to the station everything came together better, but I still couldn't shake the feeling of detachment.

At the same time, I really did like the film's ruminations on the nature of memory and our infatuations with it and identification through it. And also human contact with an alien intelligence I guess. I think I'll seek out Stalker at some point to see how some more Tarkovsky sits with me, and see what the essays in Solaris's Criterion booklet do for my opinion on the film.

-

Tokyo Story (1953) - Gonna get me some pre-1980s Japanese cinema that isn't just Kurosawa!

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - Real estate! Always Be Closing! Mamet!

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 5: 2001: A Space Odyssey, La Strada, Sanjuro, The Seventh Seal, Solaris

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Zogo posted:

The narration is really crucial in the film. Without it it'd be even harder to figure out what's going on.

I wasn't sure what was going on with that party and the shotgun and what they were trying to set up at that point. Anyone know?

Mild Primer spoilers: As I remember it, Rachel's ex showed up at the party and tried to shoot her, though it isn't clear if he was successful or not. Aaron coerces Abe into joining him in going back in order to stop Rachel's ex at the party and be a hero, and they succeed after an unknown number of repetitions, with the implication that it was more than a few and that people may have died during some of them until they finally did it 'right'.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Nolanar posted:

3) Con Air: More Nic Cage! This sounds fantastically stupid.

I was going to give you Battleship Potempkin earlier today, but now that that's out of the way, I flipped a coin between this and Mullholland Drive, and well it looks like I'm becoming the Nic Cage man (I already am, he is the background on my phone).

The Godfather Part II: I actually watched both The Godfather and The Godfather Part II for this to refresh my memory, and I'm gonna open this with what I believe is the minority opinion: I think The Godfather is the superior film. As a whole product it just feels more cohesive and consistent, where Part II was occasionally jumpy and erratic. They are both definitely masterpieces however, and the final hour of The Godfather Part II (everything from Micheal's speech at the hearing to the end) is absolutely magnificent. I'd say there isn't a weak performance in the entire film, though De Niro and Pacino are obviously the standouts. My biggest problem is just that the pacing didn't quite work for me and by the midway point I really started to feel the length, where I hadn't with The Godfather. It just seems like there are too many plot threads being set up and then left to hang while the film moves on to another, and while they all pay off beautifully, in the moment it was a bit distracting. But other than that one quibble, and it's a minor one, this is an absolutely amazing movie, and I'm so glad I've seen it now. I honestly can't wait to sit down for another three and a half hours and watch it again sometime. Thanks, Kull the Conqueror!

-

Sunrise (1927) - It's the last thing in the TSPDT Top 10 that I haven't seen and that isn't on my list, and I dug Nosferatu, so let's do it! (It's nothing like Nosferatu is it)

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 6: 2001: A Space Odyssey, La Strada, Sanjuro, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

escape artist posted:

You picked Con Air over Mulholland Drive?! Ugh.

The coin had spoken! Who was I to deny it's choice? Besides, someone else will definitely assign Mullholland Drive at some point, but who would get Con Air off the list?

A human heart posted:

The Searchers kinda relies on your expectations of what a Ford film is like and then goes off and doe something different, so it's really better if you've some of his other stuff first.

Yeah, I remembered the whole chat about that from earlier in the thread, so I'm gonna change that to Stagecoach real quick.

Edit: Or I'll just replace my list here, since it's a new page.

The Shawshank Redemption
(1994) - I've just never gotten around to it, and isn't that the point of this thread?

Stagecoach (1939) – Not sure I've watched a John Ford film before, and it's a faux pas to start with The Searchers, so Stagecoach it is!

Sunrise (1927) - It's the last thing in the TSPDT Top 10 that I haven't seen and that isn't on my list, and I dug Nosferatu, so let's do it! (It's nothing like Nosferatu is it)

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 6: 2001: A Space Odyssey, La Strada, Sanjuro, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 21, 2013

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

8. City Lights: I'm not a huge silent-film guy, but what I've seen of Chaplin has been pretty accessible.

I was going to give Chili City Lights, but now you get it instead! Enjoy some great Chaplin.

The Shawshank Redemption - Prison settings are really conducive to Christ allegories, aren't they? I'm actually not sure whether Cool Hand Luke or Shawshank is more blatant about it, but Shawshank definitely did a good job with it. Andy Dufresne is the one innocent man in a land of sinners, and through his goodness he gathers twelve disciples while suffering at the hands of his fellow man. In the end, he is thought dead, but upon checking what would be his final resting place, it is found that he has escaped to a better place, as the poster of Raquel Welch is ripped away from the tunnel.

One thing I really liked was how well Red's narration worked. On the one hand, it does a good job of telling us about who Red is and how he perceives the world, but it also appropriately feels like it's the Gospel according to Red.

I also had no idea that Clancy "Lex Luthor and Mr. Krabs" Brown was in this movie, so that was a pleasant surprise all on it's own.

-

Stagecoach (1939) – Not sure I've watched a John Ford film before, and it's a faux pas to start with The Searchers, so Stagecoach it is!

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - I was told I had to put it on my list, so I guess I'm ready for my close-up.

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 7: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sanjuro, La Strada, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II, The Shawshank Redemption

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

York_M_Chan posted:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966)

This is one of my favorite movies, so I have to assign it to people whenever I can.

12 Angry Men is a masterpiece. For the sake of not just having one sentence, here's a couple of aspects I really loved:

1) The long takes that pan around the whole room, moving between conversations and individuals. I love extended takes, and these were some of the best I've seen.

2) The progression of sweat. Everyone grows more visibly sweaty and disheveled as everything goes on and it is fantastic.

3) The simple but effective characterization. In only ninety minutes of screentime, all the jurors are developed at least a little and by the end we have something of an idea about what each one of them are like.

This is a really really good movie and I'm disappointed in myself for taking so long to finally see it.

-

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - I was told I had to put it on my list, so I guess I'm ready for my close-up.

The Bicycle Thief (1948) - Another that I know for a fact I've been told I need to see, but just haven't yet.

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 8: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sanjuro, La Strada, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

8. Escape from New York: I have zero excuse for not having watched this yet.

You've got that right. John Carpenter and Kurt Russell are a director/actor pairing up there with Scorsese and DeNiro, and it's a pity they didn't make a few more films together.

Vertigo is absolutely fantastic. It's a damned masterpiece. I loved watching it and really want to sit down and watch it again, because I'm positive there'll be more I'll notice on a second viewing.

There's no way I can go over all the stuff that's fantastic about Vertigo, and I'm not even sure I consciously noticed all or even a majority of it, but here's a couple things. Jimmy Stewart's performance as Scottie was great, both on its own merits and for how unnervingly good the man best know for It's A Wonderful Life is at being menacing. Scottie's transformation over the course of the film was nearly as disturbing as the dolly zoom effect. The use of color throughout also really stuck with me. It was impressively used to make visually interesting scenes, to link different moments and to direct attention where it needs to go.

The plot was also masterfully executed. I'm incredibly lucky for being able to go into this entirely blind, so things like Madeline's death caught me completely. I can't imagine what the response would have been like back in 1958. Vertigo is an incredible movie and I love it.

-

The Bicycle Thief (1948) - Another that I know for a fact I've been told I need to see, but just haven't yet.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) - Herzog and Kinski! It's a favorite of a friend, and I really need to watch more Herzog.

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 9: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sanjuro, La Strada, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men, Vertigo

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

TrixRabbi posted:

Strike (1925) - I've loved the Eisenstein I've seen so far. (Added 3/19/2013)

Battleship Potempkin is my favorite Eisenstein, but Strike is a pretty close second. Watch it! Watch it for the collective!

For the first half of Tokyo Story, I just couldn't get into the film. Shukichi and Tomi's sweetness was too aggressively pushed on me, the level of self-centeredness displayed by their children seemed to be at almost Snidely Whiplash levels, and Noriko's absolute selflessness just felt like too much. Then, about halfway in, something fell into place, I think with me and the movie, and suddenly the film had its hooks in me. The sheer emotion of much of the back half was gripping, and the static nature of Ozu's cinematography went from feeling unnecessarily still to fittingly melancholic. Though there were still a couple moments that felt like they were a little too heavy-handed (Shige's demanding of specific mementos at the post-funeral meal), everything felt more whole, and like it grew better as it went on. By the end, I wasn't sure if I should be smiling, crying or both, and that seems about right for a film whose core message is that time eventually carries us all apart, but that even if this is sad it isn't necessarily bad. (There's some term for 'good sadness' or 'good mourning' that I know perfectly fits this sort of feeling, but I can't remember it just now) And we don't have to leave the past entirely behind anyway.

One thing I found especially interesting was the implication that Noriko was so kind because she felt like she had to be to redeem herself for moving on from Shoji despite her best efforts. It's a take that I don't think I've seen elsewhere, and it does a lot to potentially recontextualize much of what came before.

-

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) - Herzog and Kinski! It's a favorite of a friend, and I really need to watch more Herzog.

World On A Wire (1973) - I got the Bluray during a Criterion sale, might as well actually watch it!

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 10: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sanjuro, La Strada, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men, Vertigo, Tokyo Story

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Zogo posted:

Bittersweet?

Yeah, that's probably the right word for it. I'm not sure what I thought I was thinking of.

TrixRabbi posted:

Jules et Jim (1962) - Started to watch this about a year ago but I was really tired so I took a nap instead. Never got back to it. (Added 10/5/2012)

Let's clear 2012 additions off that list!

Glengarry Glen Ross is a very enjoyable movie, largely on the strength of its performances and script. As Chewy Bitems said earlier, Jack Lemmon is incredible, but so are Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris and Alan Arkin. I was especially impressed with how great Harris and Arkin were together, and I'm sad this is the only movie they've appeared in together. This movie is filmed theater done right. I also really like that the two 'acts' have very distinct color schemes, with the night being dominated by darkness, and bright red and neons, and the next day having a more bright tone and looking slightly washed out, as the early morning sun shines in through the windows.

-

World On A Wire (1973) - I got the Bluray during a Criterion sale, might as well actually watch it!

Pierrot le Fou (1965) - I watched Breathless and wasn't entirely blown away, so I'm interested to see if another Godard will click with me.

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 11: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sanjuro, La Strada, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men, Vertigo, Tokyo Story, Glengarry Glen Ross

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Josh Lyman posted:

Seven Samurai. I think I tried to watch this a while back and I understand it's historically important from an action perspective.

One of my favorite films. Really hope you enjoy it.

Sunset Boulevard is a fantastic film. The cameos by people playing themselves were great, and Norma Desmond is one of my favorite characters in any film. Gloria Swanson is amazing in the part. The cinematography was beautiful too, and the score. I can't decide if this or Double Indemnity is Wilder's best, but they're both so incredible that there isn't much of gap either way.

-

Pierrot le Fou (1965) - I watched Breathless and wasn't entirely blown away, so I'm interested to see if another Godard will click with me.

Some Like It Hot (1959) - I think I've only seen one film with Marilyn Monroe, and I've enjoyed the Wilder films I've watched, so this seems like a solid choice.

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 12: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sanjuro, La Strada, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men, Vertigo, Tokyo Story, Glengarry Glen Ross, Sunset Boulevard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
TrixRabbi, you're off to watch Riki-Oh: The Legend of Ricky. There will be blood. Buckets of blood.

Aguirre, The Wrath of God is a beautiful movie about a megalomaniac. Herzog's nature shots are especially gorgeous, and Kinski's performance as Aguirre is frighteningly unhinged, to the point that the few moments when he stares right out of the screen were incredibly unnerving. The progression of Aguirre's consolidation of power and the spread of madness through the party's slowly dwindling numbers is enthralling to watch. I'm not sure why, but I was really affected by both Inez's silent disappearance into the woods, and the horse staring at the raft from the shore. The way more and more comedy works its way into the film was pretty great too. "These long arrows are becoming fashionable" might be my favorite line from the movie.

-

Some Like It Hot (1959) - I think I've only seen one film with Marilyn Monroe, and I've enjoyed the Wilder films I've watched, so this seems like a solid choice.

Fitzcarraldo (1982) - Herzog and Kinski Do South America, Part 2

RandallODim's Shame Was Reduced By 13: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sanjuro, La Strada, The Seventh Seal, Solaris, The Godfather Part II, The Shawshank Redemption, 12 Angry Men, Vertigo, Tokyo Story, Glengarry Glen Ross, Sunset Boulevard, Aguirre, the Wrath of God