Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Pancakes by Mail, you get to watch Platoon. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being awesome.

Here's my list of shame. I'm limiting it to movies I own but I've never got around to watching. I go to second hand stores a lot, and can usually score about 5 dvds for $15, or 5 blu rays for $20. It's a good way to build a collection, but I sometimes feel I don't have time to watch everything.

1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: I can't remember why, but this is the only one of the trilogy I never saw in the theatres. I bought the DVD the day it came out, but didn't watch it at the time because I wanted to re-watch the first 2. I now have the trilogy on blu-ray, so I've bought this movie twice without watching it. :eek:

2. A Few Dollars More: I've picked up and watched the other man with no name movies recently, and also watch Once Upon a Time in the West, so I'm just a little burned out on spaghetti westerns.

3. 3:10 to Yuma (2007): Another western I haven't got around to watching.

4. A Bridge too Far: I just bought this one last weekend. I hear it's really good.

5. The Town: Another recent purchase that I want to see.

6. The Godfather part 2:I've had this for years, but the long run time has kind of put me off watching it.

7. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood.

8. Munich: I started watching this once, but my viewing was interrupted, and I didn't end up finishing it.

9. A Clockwork Orange: I actually saw this one about 20 years ago, but I remember very little about it, aside from whats been parodied on the Simpsons.

10. Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest: I'm a latecomer to this series. I just watched the first one last week, and really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Desiato, it's time to replace Cul-De-sac as the oldest on your list.

A Clockwork Orange is an excellent movie, not that I expected less from Mr. Kubrick. Everything about this movie works, from the soundtrack to the settings. Actually for the settings, I noticed that while he is young and committing crimes, everything seems to be very minimalist. It almost looks like a stage production. After he gets arrested, there is more detail in the settings, as reality has set in. A lot of older movies are described as shocking for their times. This is one of those movies that remains shocking giving the level of violence and sexuality.

The List of Shame

1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: I can't remember why, but this is the only one of the trilogy I never saw in the theatres. I bought the DVD the day it came out, but didn't watch it at the time because I wanted to re-watch the first 2. I now have the trilogy on blu-ray, so I've bought this movie twice without watching it. :eek:

2. A Few Dollars More: I've picked up and watched the other man with no name movies recently, and also watch Once Upon a Time in the West, so I'm just a little burned out on spaghetti westerns.

4. A Bridge too Far: I just bought this one last weekend. I hear it's really good.

6. The Godfather part 2:I've had this for years, but the long run time has kind of put me off watching it.

7. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood.

8. Munich: I started watching this once, but my viewing was interrupted, and I didn't end up finishing it.

9. Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest: I'm a latecomer to this series. I just watched the first one last week, and really enjoyed it.

8. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Atheistdeals.com I'm giving you The Wicker Man as that's the only movie on your list that I've seen. I didn't really care for it, but I've heard others describe it as one of the scariest films they've seen, so I'm interested in your take on it.

I have never seen a Spielberg drama before (Yes, I realize there are some major movies to eventually add to my list), so I wasn't sure what to expect with Munich. The first 90 minutes or so was a revenge movie, and I thought it was kind of dragging. The last hour of the movie is where things shift, and the drama picks up,with interesting questions being raised. I thought Avner's paranoia was particularily effective. He fought for his country, but at the expense of his own peace and freedom.

The List of Shame

8. Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest: I'm a latecomer to this series. I just watched the first one last week, and really enjoyed it.

9. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

10. 12 Angry Men: I DVR'd this recently. It's really embarassing how few movies pre-1980 I've seen.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

My DVR doesn't seem to be working properly. When I try to watch something, it just shuts off. I just reserved 12 Angry Men at my library, but it will likely be a week before I get it. Would you like me to watch something else in the meantime?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TychoCelchuuu, go with Boyz in the Hood.

The Godfather part Two is a movie often hyped as one of the greatest of all time, and it really lives up to the hype. I prefer the first Gofather, but this is an excellent movie, and as mentioned when recommended to me, it's so engrossing you don't notice the length. One thing I noticed is that I need to upgrade this to blu-ray, as the picture quality was sub-par at points.

I got my DVR working again, so I also watched 12 Angry Men. I loved this movie, and it has easily become one of my favorites of all time.

The List of Shame

6. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood.

7. Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest: I'm a latecomer to this series. I just watched the first one last week, and really enjoyed it.

8. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

9. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement. Also, this is the last movie I own that I haven't seen that I am adding to this list. From now on, I'm just going to use the IMDB top 250.

10. Pulp Fiction: I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, so I've never bothered checking this out.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Penismightier, go with Ils or The Strangers. I haven't seen the former, but the latter starts out as one of the creepier movies I've seen.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I dunno if the IMDB top 250 is a good list to pull from if it's giving you those movies.

Most of the movies on my list are ones I've bought but haven't watched. anything from Pulp Fiction onwards is as per the IMDB.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest was ok. The story was fine, but I thought some of the characters looked a little too silly (especially the hammerhead guy).

The List of Shame

6. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood.

7. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

8. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement. Also, this is the last movie I own that I haven't seen that I am adding to this list. From now on, I'm just going to use the IMDB top 250.

9. Pulp Fiction: I'm not a huge Tarantino fan, so I've never bothered checking this out.

10. Schindler's List: I'm not even entirely sure what this is about, aside from it being about the holocaust.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Boat Showboat you get Star Wars.

Pulp Fiction turned out to be a lot of fun! I knew quite a bit about the movie, but it was nice to figure out how it all tied together.

The List of Shame

7. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

8. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement. Also, this is the last movie I own that I haven't seen that I am adding to this list. From now on, I'm just going to use the IMDB top 250.

9. Schindler's List: I'm not even entirely sure what this is about, aside from it being about the holocaust.

10. Seven Samurai: I like The Magnificent Seven, so it's time to see this one.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Nosferatu!

Schindler's List was quite good, with really good pacing for a 3 hour movie. It wasn't quite as depressing as I expected, but still pretty horrifying stuff with Auschwitz. Knowing nothing about this story, I was worried Schindler was going to sell the Jews out.

When I picked up Schindler's list at the library yesterday, I noticed they also had The Seven Samurai available, so I picked that up as well. I'll watch it this weekend, and remove it from my list.

The List of Shame

4. A Bridge too Far: I just bought this one last weekend. I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

6. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

9. City of God: I don't know anything about this one.

10. Casablanca: It's not a true list of shame unless this is on there.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Ratedargh, I just enjoyed some Bogey, and now it's your chance. You get In a Lonely Place

Casablanca was awesome, and it really does live up to the hype. I really liked the use of music in the film. I was familiar with "As Time Goes By" but I didn't realize how important it actually was.

I also watched The Seven Samurai today. I was a little hesitant going in, as I dislike sub-titles, but this turned out to be quite good, and it is easy to see how influential this film was.

The List of Shame

4. A Bridge too Far: I just bought this one last weekend. I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

6. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

9. City of God: I don't know anything about this one.

10. Rear Window: I haven't seen a ton of hitchcock, but I've liked what I've seen so far.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Desiato posted:

Don't worry, this will change as you watch more subtitled movies. I don't even notice that I'm reading subtitles anymore when watching foreign films, it becomes a lot less obtrusive.

That's good, because I need some more Kurosawa.

I put a hold on City of God, but my library hasn't updated the status. Usually they're quite quick to reserve films. I'll give it a few more days, but I noticed HMV and Best Buy both have the blu ray for $10. Is it worth picking up? I mean is it the type of movie you could watch multiple times, or is the type where one viewing is enough? What are some similar movies?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

City of God is excellent. I can't say I've ever personally felt the urge to rewatch it, but thinking back it really is a remarkable film. It might be something you'd want to get others to watch as well. It can get extremely dark, but it's mostly an enjoyable film that has rewatch value (unlike say Requiem for a Dream which is excellent but I do not want to relive that).

Requiem was the exact movie I was thinking of when I posted that. I liked it, but I will most likely never watch it again.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TychoCelchuuu, I probably won't have City of God until next week. If you want to reccommend something else off my list, please go ahead and do so.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I plan on watching the Hitchcock one and I don't think it's silent.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Chili, forget about Rashomon and go watch Unforgiven.

Rear Window was awesome, and the perfect type of movie for Hitchcock to direct. The suspense and paranoia was superb. I really wasn't sure if a crime was committed or if Jeff was just paranoid until the final moments, and it would have worked either way.

I should have City of God soon. I ended up ordering it off of Amazon, because I needed something to put my order over $25 so I could get free shipping.

The List of Shame

8. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

9. It's a Wonderful Life: Yeah, I haven't seen this one. This Christmas movie,really isn't as big a deal in Canada as it is in the US. I'm sure CBC or CTV showed it when I was a kid, but I never bothered watching it.

10. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist, go with 12 Angry Men. It was one of the first ones recommended to me in this thread, and one of my favorites overall.

3:10 to Yuma was good, but not great. The opening scenes had a little too much action in them. I prefer a slow build, a la Sergio Leonne's movies. Visually it was amazing though. Russell Crowe played his role to perfection. The movie has made me want to play Red Dead Redemption, so I'll be doing that for the next hour or so.

City of God was awesome, and worth every penny. I really liked the theme of the rite of passage present throughout the movie. I also liked how at first the violence was implied (you'd see someone shooting a gun, but not the bullet hitting someone, for example) but became more graphic as the violence escalated.

3. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

4. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

5. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

6. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

7. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

8. It's a Wonderful Life: Yeah, I haven't seen this one. This Christmas movie,really isn't as big a deal in Canada as it is in the US. I'm sure CBC or CTV showed it when I was a kid, but I never bothered watching it.

9. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

10. Sunset Blvd: It's a noir, and I've watched a few of those lately on Netflix. The imdb synopsis really doesn't give much clue as to what it's about though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Cerepol, you getTaxi Driver. There's an awesome thread about this movie too that you may want to check out when you're done as well.

I went in to Sunset Blvd blindly, not knowing much about it aside from a very basic plot synopsis. I knew it was a noir, but I also consider it somewhat of a horror movie, in the same sense that Black Swan can be considered a horror story. The cynicism of Hollywood was on full display throughout. I had heard the famous line from this movie before (:I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Demille) but I didn't realize the horrifying and depressing context of it.

The List of Shame

3. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

5. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

6. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

7. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

8. It's a Wonderful Life: Yeah, I haven't seen this one. This Christmas movie,really isn't as big a deal in Canada as it is in the US. I'm sure CBC or CTV showed it when I was a kid, but I never bothered watching it.

9. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

10. Memento: I haven't seen much of Nolan's work, outside of the Bat Trilogy and Inception.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I wish I had a theatre in my city that showed older movies. Galaxy cinemas does do classic movie nights each month, but I can almost never make them. I would love to see a movie like Goodfellas on the big screen.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Electronico6, I haven't seen any of your movies, butsince you gave me the gift of Capra, I'll give it back to you - go with Arsenic and Old Lace.

It's a Wonderful Life was an excellent film, and as pointed out, it's really not all about Christmas. I recently watched Capra's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and that movie dealt with the corruption of politics, and what the ideal politican should be. Capra explores similar themes in Wonderful Life. A large portion of this film was about the corruption of business, and what the ideal businessperson should be like. The only other thing I want to point out about this is that no matter how many pop-culture references and homages I thought this had inspired, there were much, much more than I expected.

The List of Shame

2. A Few Dollars More: I've picked up and watched the other man with no name movies, and was kind of burned out on Westerns at the time to watch this as well.

8. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

9. Memento: I haven't seen much of Nolan's work, outside of the Bat Trilogy and Inception.

10. Saving Private Ryan: I have no clue why I haven't seen this one.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist, watch Sunset Blvd.

Return of the King was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy. Peter Jackson's direction is excellent, and this movie is visually amazing. Everything is so well done, and most. The epilogue was a little too long, but I imagine there would have been an uproar amongst the hardcore fans had it been shorter.

The List of Shame

1. A Few Dollars More: I've picked up and watched the other man with no name movies, and was kind of burned out on Westerns at the time to watch this as well.

2. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

3. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

4. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

5. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

6. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

7. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

8. Memento: I haven't seen much of Nolan's work, outside of the Bat Trilogy and Inception.

9. Saving Private Ryan: I have no clue why I haven't seen this one.

10. North by Northwest: I've seen the middle of this one, but not the beginning or the end.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I think you meant to recommend Saving Private Ryan to me. :)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

8. Notorious - I donated $5 to Criticker for a month of contributor features, and it's allowed me to discover I've never seen a movie from 1946. I'm not going to watch It's A Wonderful LIfe for the first time in the middle of a heat wave in July, and this is the second highest on TSPDT.

To be fair, I just watched It's a Wonderful Life last week, and it's really not as much of a winter/Xmas movie as you think.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Just as a heads up, if anyone has Kurosawa films on their lists, and is dependent on libraries for their movies, Turner Classic Movies is showing a marathon of his movies on THursday.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Jurgan, you get Eternal Sunshine.

I finally got Saving Private Ryan from my library, and it was really spectacular. I just finished about 30 minutes ago, and I'm still trying to process it. Out of Spielberg's war movies, I consider this to be the best one. Choppy-Braveheart style battle scenes usually turn me off, but they really worked well in this one, and helped communicate how chaotic war is. The opening scene, as well as the third act are some of the best action scenes I have seen.

I also watched For a Few Dollars More. I've seen most of Leonne's other westerns, and this one did not disappoint. His movies really are beautiful, and not just in the visual sense.

I watched Memento as well. My initial reaction was that I didn't like it. I work the same job as the protagonist, so it really should have been right up my alley. Instead, I found myself growing bored from the repetition, and was more intrgiued by the Sammy sub-plot, even though I was fairly certain where it was going. But you know what? The misdirection in the movie got me. I really didn't see it coming, and it puts the entire movie in a different light. It's been almost a month since I've seen it now, and I like it more and more each time I think about it. This is one that I think if I watch again, I'll really enjoy it.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

2. The Town: I've heard it's a good crime movie.

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. North by Northwest: I've seen the middle of this one, but not the beginning or the end.
[/quote]

8. M: I watched Metropolis recently. I don't normally like silent films, but it was really good. I want to see some Frtiz Lang with sound.

9. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

10. Double Indemnity: This sounds like something I'd enjoy.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

Very cool, the quality is great. I'm just not in the mood for long-rear end movies right now (well, for the past 6 months) hence the three new additions to my Shame List being an hour and a half or shorter - I hate breaking films up into two viewings & because I mostly only get a chance to watch at night I have a bad habit of falling asleep mid-long-rear end movie! BUT Bookmarked all the same, thanks man.

There's nothing wrong with breaking a movie into multiple viewings. What I find helps when dividing a movie up is recognizing when an act of a movie ends. For example, if you know a movie is 2 hours long, and there's a really quiet scene about 80-90 minutes in, you can pause there and watch the third act later.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TychoCelchuuu, go with Vertigo.

EDIT: I forgot my review.

North by Northwest was quite excellent, but it did have some large plotholes, and I found the relationship between Grant and Saint to be somewhat unconvincing due to the age difference. The suspense in this was really good though, and this is one of Hitchcock's finest.

The List of Shame

1. A Bridge too Far: I hear it's really good. I might be thinking of The Bridge on the River Kwai though

3. The Towering Inferno: No reason for not watching it yet. I guess I just haven't been in the mood. I haven't actually seen any 70s disaster movie, so this may be a good place to start.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet. I received this as a christmas gift last year in my work's secret santa.

5. The Godfather part 3: I've heard mixed reviews of this one, with some people hating it, and others saying that it's good, but the bar was set too high with it's predecessors. I'd like to make my own judgement.

6. Leon: The Professional:I don't know much about this one, aside from it having tons of acclaim.

7. M: I watched Metropolis recently. I don't normally like silent films, but it was really good. I want to see some Frtiz Lang with sound.

8. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

9. Double Indemnity: This sounds like something I'd enjoy.

10. Paths of Glory: One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen, and it's not on the box set I bought a few months ago.

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 10, 2012

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TychoCelchuuu, go with Rififi.

Double indemnity: Thanks for making me add another movie to my must-buylist goons! This was really well done, and I would actually place this ahead of Sunset Boulevard for best Noir ever. The cast interacted so well. Is this one of the first movies where a villain is the protagonist? This was very Breaking Bad-esque where I found myself wanting our main character to get what was coming to him, but also felt suspense when anyone was on to him.

The List of Shame

7. M: I watched Metropolis recently. I don't normally like silent films, but it was really good. I want to see some Frtiz Lang with sound.

8. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

9. Paths of Glory: One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen, and it's not on the box set I bought a few months ago.

10. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Electronico6, go with Caché . It sounds pretty interesting.

I got to see a Fritz Lang talkie with M. I didn't realize the talking was in German. Visually, the movie is beautiful. The sets and lighting are perfect. It is a fairly dialogue-heavy film though, so splitting my attention between the subtitles and the scene was a little distracting at times. Excellent film though, with a very unique story told. One question - I watched this on the Openflix account on YouTube. The film would go silent at times. Is this how it was filmed, or has the audio been lost at some points?

I also watched Paths of Glory this week because it was available at the library. I had a little trouble getting into it at first. The first act kind of seemed to drag, despite being mostly action. Once it got to the court martial it really picked up and I enjoyed this film as well. That last scene was very emotional.

The List of Shame

7. Citizen Kane: Yup, one of the other big ones that no shame list should be complete without.

8. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

9. The Departed: I always confuse this with Taken for some reason.

10. To Kill a Mockingbird: I think I watched this in high school, but watching something in a crowded classroom is not the proper way to enjoy a film.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I've seen people put A Serbian Film on their lists. If that is acceptable, then there are no limits.

To be fair, that movie gets hyped a lot in the horror thread.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist posted:

Is there really any movie where you shouldn't watch the director's cut?

Does Redux count as a director's cut?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I know I'm next in line at my librabry for Citizen Kane, but the rear end in a top hat who currently has it out is now 5 days overdue and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it. Could someone (preferably escape artist, since he recommended it) recommend something else?

Here's my list:

1. A Bridge too Far
2. The Town
3. The Towering Inferno
4. True Grit (1969)
5. The Godfather part 3
6. Leon: The Professional
7. Citizen Kane (ON HOLD)
8. Wall-E
9. The Departed
10. To Kill a Mockingbird

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh, and Copywright, you need to pick a movie for Not Al-Quaeda. If he doesn't pick anything, then watch 12 Angry Men.

Sorry, I forgot to recommend! But the above choice is perfect, as it might be my favorite movie ever.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist posted:

Touch of Evil Orson Welle's second greatest.

Go with this one.

To Kill a Mockingbird: I'm familiar enough with the story that I knew I wouldn't gain anything from this thematically when I went in. That said, this a beautifully directed movie, and is not a waste of time by any means. Robert Mulligan does an excellent job capturing the essence of childhood throughout the film. The acting was spectacular as well. I found myself remembering certain scenes from seeing this in high school throughout, in particular Mayella's testimony during the trial. Gregory Peck of course steals the show in this. His Oscar was well deserved, and it's awlays nice to see a film where the protagonist is the best character to watch.

The List of Shame

7. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

8. The Departed: I always confuse this with Taken for some reason.

9. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

10. Blade Runner: I feel I'm missing an important movie by not having seen this.

ON HOLD: Citizen Kane

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist posted:

I haven't seen Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, among others, because I don't have the attention span for marathoning 6 hours to finally get some plot development.

I also enjoy going to the theater alone.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you regarding tv - if not for sports, AMC and TCM I wouldn't even bother having cable. By the time I'm done work, going to the gym, having dinner and running any errands I might have, I usually only have about 3 to 4 hours of free time before I go to sleep. I'd much rather use that time watch a movie than I would watching a tv show. That said, you really should watch Breaking Bad. It's a tv show that makes the most of it's medium. It's rare to see an episode that doesn't develop the plot in a significant matter. I find it to be the exact opposite of The Walking Dead. Each season of The Walking Dead could easily be edited down to a 2 hour movie, and you wouldn't lose anything regarding the plot. Breaking Bad really can't be edited down. It's such a well-layered show.

I also go to the theatre alone occasionally, but only for matinees. It just seems weird to go to an evening show alone.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Seaniqua, go with The Incredibles.

Blade Runner was a real treat. I was instantly sucked in by the opening shots of a dystopian Los Angeles. Ridley Scott does a really great job of creating amazing worlds in his films. The movie of course featured a lot of action, but I felt this came off as a noir, as Harrison Ford was somewhat morally ambiguous, and the cinematography was reminiscent of the noir genre. This is a movie I imagine I'll probably watch over and over again.

The List of Shame

7. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

8. The Departed: I always confuse this with Taken for some reason.

9. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

10. The Third Man: More noir

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

miss sagoon, you have a lot of good ones on your list. It's easier to recommend when you put a reason why you haven't seen it, or why you want to see it though (HINT HINT). I'll give you The Apartment, just because it's been a while since that's popped up here.

The Departed is the only film Scorsese won best picture for. I don't consider it Scorcese's best work though. Goodfellas and Taxi Driver are both better movies. It is on par with Raging Bull though, and that is a sign of excellent quality in my opinion. Good characters throughout the show, and everyone seemed to have a hidden identity/agenda. It was nice to see a movie with undercover cops and criminals. Nicholson was in fine form here as well, and did a good job as a father figure to Damon and Dicaprio.

The List of Shame

8. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

9. The Third Man: More noir

10. The Sting: This sounds like a pretty good heist movie, and has great acclaim.

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner, The Departed
[/quote]

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

escape artist posted:

I really don't like The Departed, despite loving Scorsese. It feels so convoluted and boring, then the ending is almost like a parody.

I liked the idea that even minor characters had their own secret lives. It didn't really feel like a twist to me, but more of a natural extension of the universe in which the characters live.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Why do you add old movies if you clearly don't like them or want to watch them? Also, you've replaced my review of 12 Angry Men as from a few months ago as the worst review of the film, so congrats, I guess.

Edit: That came across a little mean, and that's not what I intend. It's always good to have people participate in this thread, but you might want to provide a bit of insight into your viewing experience.

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 17, 2012

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is kind of the pot calling the kettle black (your verdict on Pulp Fiction was that it "turned out to be a lot of fun! I knew quite a bit about the movie, but it was nice to figure out how it all tied together" and the most you could muster about For a Few Dollars More was "I've seen most of Leonne's other westerns, and this one did not disappoint. His movies really are beautiful, and not just in the visual sense") but I can understand the sentiment.

I absolutely do admit that some of my earlier reviews are absolute poo poo, and even referenced the pathetic one sentence review I had for 12 Angry Men above. But I am trying to improve on this, and that's without anyone calling me out for it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Desiato, go with Raising Arizona.

I just watched extended version of Leon: the Professional. I'll get the elephant out of the room first. The relationship between Leon and Matilda was pretty creepy at times. It played with the familiar trope of a young girl having a crush on an older man. What I didn't like about their relationship was that he didn't really seem to try too hard to push her away. She told him she was 18, and even though he knew she wasn't, he kind of played along. I also felt Leon came off as jealous in the scene where Matilda was having a smoke outside of the restaurant with the young man. The movie also plays into the "guns as phallus" symbolism, as Leon seems impressed the first time she handles a gun.

Aside from that, I enjoyed this movie. The cinemetography was excellent in parts. We see a lot of spiral staircases early in the film, and as the movie moves forward, the sets, and even the streets, seem to become more twisted as well, reflecting the whole relationship between Leon and Matilda and the world they have gotten themselves into. I did think the movie had a few too many montages, and that kind of slowed the film at times.

The List of Shame

3. The Towering Inferno: OJ completionism.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet.

6. Wall-E: I skipped a lot of animated films during the 2000s, and i'm slowly catching up.

7. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

8. The Third Man: More noir

9. The Sting: This sounds like a pretty good heist movie, and has great acclaim.

10. Network: I've enjoyed what I've seen from Lumet so far.

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner, The Departed, Leon: The Professional

CopywrightMMXI fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Magic Hate Ball, go with The Magic Flute. I don't know anything about it, but it's been on your list for a while.

Wall*E might be my favorite Pixar film yet. It's really a toss-up between it and Toy Story 3. The animation was absolutely incredible, and incredibly lifelike in the early scenes on earth. My cable's VOD only had the standard version, but I would love to see this in HD sometime. It did slip into the standard Pixar animation style once the humans were introduced, and I think this was intentional, to emphasize that Wall*E and Eve were more human than the humans.

The emotion that the robots displayed was excellent as well. They managed to convey laughter and pathos, without really saying a word. Wall*E reminded me of Chaplin in that regard. I also enjoyed the various homages to classic sci-fi movies that appeared throughout.

The List of Shame

3. The Towering Inferno: OJ completionism.

4. True Grit (1969): I have seen the re-make, but I haven't watched the original yet.

6. Rashomon: This has been sitting on my DVR for a while.

7. The Third Man: More noir

8. The Sting: This sounds like a pretty good heist movie, and has great acclaim.

9. Network: I've enjoyed what I've seen from Lumet so far.

10. Dial M for Murder: Hitchock's awesome. I should watch more.

De-shamed: A Clockwork Orange, Munich, The Godfather part 2, 12 Angry Men, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Rear Window, 3:10 to Yuma, City of God, Sunset Boulevard, It's a Wonderful Life, LOTR: Return of the King, Saving Private Ryan, Memento, For a Few Dollars More, North by Northwest, Double Indemnity, M, Paths of Glory, To Kill a Mockingbird, Blade Runner, The Departed, Leon: The Professional, Wall*E