Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I haven't seen it but noticed in the paper that Human Highway is in Seattle this weekend for a film tour. Looks pretty nuts, but it also says it's a musical and I don't like 95% of musicals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZWiV9wY_R4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'd suggest Hurt Locker, since you already liked Bigelow's other Iraq movie, and it's certainly intense and can grip you more than The Mirror.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The first half hour is kind of slow but it does pick up from there, and the ending is very memorable.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pron on VHS posted:

I've never seen E.T., The Sandlot, or Field of Dreams, Grease, Memento, Sixth Sense

Honestly those are all memorable, just start watching whichever is quickest to find on netflix or in your dvd stack or however you'd watch em.

MagicHateBall, thanks for that Daisies writeup, I saw it during an 8mm (or 16mm?) tour at some tiny theater in Seattle a few years ago and it was so insane I loved it but couldn't make much sense of it, like you. Nice to see I'm not alone at least.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zogo posted:

Next one for you.

Point Blank - Walker (Lee Marvin) spends most of the film climbing the revenge ladder killing higher and higher level bosses to recoup the $93,000 that he stole and was later stolen from him. Most of his enemies are backstabbers who are more than willing to throw their underlings under the bus.

All these bad guys live in lavish penthouses. Walker has no problem skulking into them to exact his revenge. What stuck out were the repeated intercuts going to flashbacks from earlier points of the film. The constant reshowing is memorable and adds some contemplation where one normally wouldn't find it.

I was reminded of the films: Charade, Bullitt, The Long Goodbye and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie.

You should check out "Payback", Mel Gibon's remake of that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I got to see 2001 at the Cinerama a couple years ago and it is indeed awesome on the big screen, well worth the hassle if it's ever on in your town.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ramagamma posted:

snowflake generation

Is this another disparaging nickname for millenial? Is there even an official delineation between gen x, y, millenial? What was the gen before x?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jurgan posted:

But there's another generation after millennials. Millennials were born when the internet was unknown and watched it develop as we grew up. If you were born in 2000 or later, then you don't remember the internet ever not existing, which means you were shaped by a very different set of circumstances.

Call the 2000+ the doomed generation. Or tablet babies. Or ADD gen

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Apoc Now isn't Kubrick, fyi. Good list though, all great movies.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I love Redux just for the extended scenes with Kurtz at the end. 'What does it smell like to you?' The French bit was good but drags a little, and the playboy scene really drags. Was the 'I just want my board back' bit redux only too?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jurgan posted:

101. Spartacus- In the end, aren't we all Spartacus? Yeah, I know how this one ends, but that's basically it. Also, I think it's popular among labor organizers.

One of my favorites.

I'll try this with some dvd's I blind-bought but haven't gotten around to yet:

M (can't go wrong with a classic, right?)

Sky Captain (probably will like, loved The Shadow)

Topsy Turvy (my blindest buy, it's about musical writers? )

Lonesome (1928)

Triple Cross (maybe like Where Eagles Dare?)

Notorious (Hitchcock)

Barry Lyndon

Charlie Countryman

Wrath of the Titans (2012), Clash of the Titans (2010), Clash of the Titans (1981)

discount rack shlock that might be cool, probably terrible video quality from cheap transfers:

Black Cobra (1 or 2 or 3?)
Strike Commando
Fireback
Tiger Joe

That's probably a decent start :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^ Watch Blood of Jesus if you already have access to it, or Mad Max Thunderdome if it's easier to see, there are some very memorable moments in it :)

TrixRabbi posted:

Got any sevens, watch Lonesome which is a beautiful little movie.

Lonesome (1928) - this was a simple but charming story about boy meets girl, but the real star was the technical innovations they were putting on full display. Mixed sound use, including a couple of scenes with full dialogue (and lots of crowd noise which was effective in recreating the chaotic atmosphere of Coney island) as well as some mixed color use and portable cameras - I particularly liked the rollercoaster POV cam. It all comes together into a movie that's still watchable for non-film buffs too.

List:

M (can't go wrong with a classic, right?)

Sky Captain (probably will like, loved The Shadow)

Topsy Turvy (my blindest buy, it's about musical writers? )

The Passion of Joan of Arc - lots of close-ups?

Triple Cross (maybe like Where Eagles Dare?)

Notorious (Hitchcock)

Barry Lyndon

Charlie Countryman

Wrath of the Titans (2012), Clash of the Titans (2010), Clash of the Titans (1981)

discount rack shlock that might be cool, probably terrible video quality from cheap transfers:

Black Cobra (1 or 2 or 3?)
Strike Commando
Fireback
Tiger Joe

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 10, 2017