Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Bodnoirbabe watch Apocalypse Now, I think the theatrical cut is better than Redux so go with that.

I have a lot of old classics in my Netflix queue so I might as well have people tell me which ones to watch.

1. Seven Samurai-I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman and I know nothing about his work.

3. 8 1/2-I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront- The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial- I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink- I've seen a few Coen movies (Fargo, No Country, The Big Lebowski, maybe one or two others that I can't remember) and loved them all.

8. Cool Hand Luke- I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon- Another modern movie that I've seen praised constantly.

10. The Thin Blue Line- I love good documentaries so I guess this will be the documentary number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

tokillthesunflower posted:

I almost gave you The Trial, but I'm not sure that it's the best intro to Welles if you've never seen anything of his. But I just finished watching The Seventh Seal and enjoyed it immensely, and apparently it's a good place to start with Bergman.

Well, I have seen The Third Man (don't know if Welles directed it or not) and F for Fake. I don't know if either of those are anything like The Trial, Touch of Evil or Citizen Kane though.

Anyway, I'll watch The Seventh Seal tonight.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

MonkeeKong posted:

1. Notorious, I've seen my fair share of Hitchcock but haven't seen this one yet. I have no idea why.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the movies on your list, MonkeeKong. I chose Notorious because it is the first one listed. I wish I had better reasoning, sorry!

I just watched The Seventh Seal and it's definitely a great film and refreshingly different than the movies I usually watch. My favorite scene was the smith confronting his wife and the actor in the forest. I didn't really expect something so funny to happen in this movie. I loved the ending as well.

1. Seven Samurai-I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca-It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

4. On the Waterfront-The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial-I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink-I've seen a few Coen movies (Fargo, No Country, The Big Lebowski, maybe one or two others that I can't remember) and loved them all.

8. Cool Hand Luke-I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon-Another modern movie that I've seen praised constantly.

10. The Thin Blue Line-I love good documentaries so I guess this will be the documentary number.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

#6 Dr. Strangelove - I like Kubrick, haven't gotten around to this one.

I know humor is subjective and all, but this is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I hope you like it.

I found Moon to be a very engaging experience. Sam Rockwell did an amazing job playing two different versions of himself, and I think the whole clone thing was done as well as it could have been. I'm also really, really glad Spaceybot 3000 didn't go berserk and try to kill everyone like I thought he would. The movie certainly wears its influences on its sleeve, but it all works pretty well. Am I insane for liking this but not 2001? Please don't kill me.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca-It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

4. On the Waterfront-The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial-I haven't seen Citizen Kane either, I'll put that on this list after watching one or two that are on instant watch.

7. Barton Fink-I've seen a few Coen movies (Fargo, No Country, The Big Lebowski, maybe one or two others that I can't remember) and loved them all.

8. Cool Hand Luke-I've seen part of it on TV at some point but I don't remember anything about it.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox-Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line-I love good documentaries so I guess this will be the documentary number.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Web Jew.0 posted:

7.) Inland Empire - Mulholland Drive is maybe my favorite movie

Of the movies on your list, I've only seen Dances with Wolves, which I didn't like, and Independence Day, which is awful unless you're watching it with friends and making fun of it. What I'm saying is I'm not good at this part, just watch Inland Empire I guess.

I don't really know how I feel about Barton Fink. I mean it's definitely very good, it just does so many different things at once, especially near the end. The sequence of events between the two rear end in a top hat detectives (my favorite characters) showing up to Charlie running down a flaming hallway screaming while killing them and his last conversation with Fink is simply amazing. I kinda wished that the rest of the movie was that insane, but it probably would have made that part less special if it was. This is a movie that deserves another viewing at some point.

2. The Seventh Seal

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries-Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

9. Moon

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

JVO watch Network, it's fantastic.

The Thin Blue Line was simply an amazing documentary. The re-enactments, paired with the great Phillip Glass score really made this film great. Knowing that this movie actually got the innocent man out of jail made me appreciate it even more.

2. The Seventh Seal

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries-Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

9. Moon

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A.-Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

The Machine posted:

3. Chinatown
I have little Polanski viewing experience and I've only recently gotten over a hatred for Jack Nicholson.

This is the only movie I've seen on your list, but Chinatown is a great movie anyway. I hope you like noir.

Cool Hand Luke was pretty drat good. I don't think I've ever rooted harder for any character as much as I rooted for Paul Newman's excellent portrayal of Luke, and his smile is infectious. George Kennedy also did a great job as Dragline. I saw Dennis Hopper in the credits, but didn't see him anywhere at all. Usually his characters stick out like a sore thumb.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial - Tell me to watch Citizen Kane first.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane - Greatest movie of all time? I don't see how it can be better than Robot Jox.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

morestuff posted:

Mean Streets - I'm pretty much working through Scorsese in reverse chronological order, and this is his last "great" movie I've yet to watch

Haven't seen anything on your list so I picked this completely randomly. Yay!

Citizen Kane was of course nearly flawless, the only flaw possibly being that the story wasn't as strong as the technical aspects of the movie. At some points I was thinking more about what the camera was doing more than the dialogue, which has never happened before. The story was still very interesting, with Welles playing both a young, brash Kane and the old, crazy egomaniac perfectly. There is something about Welles' voice that just hypnotizes me. If he had made a movie of him just sitting in a chair, reading a dictionary out loud I would probably watch it.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Might as well throw a modern movie up here.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.

9. Moon
Fantastic Mr. Fox - Another 2009 film I missed out on.

10. The Thin Blue Line

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

5) Blade Runner- once again no excuse

It was hard to pick between this and Alien but Blade Runner is pretty drat great. Make sure you watch The Final Cut version.

Eternal Sunshine was wonderful. I didn't think that Jim Carrey could pull off a role like this but he was refreshingly toned down and believable. All of the memory erasing sequences were brilliant, I love how detailed and surreal they were.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this. I guess it just seems...sappy.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.

9. Moon
Rear Window - I've seen a few Hitchcock films and I want to see more.

10. The Thin Blue Line

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

5) The Birds - I just recorded this on my HD DVR, and I have seen most of Hitchcock's other work. I've even been to several locations where the film was shot, I just never got around to it.

I haven't seen The Birds in a long time but I remember it being very good. Better than Tropic Thunder at least, and that's the only other movie on your list that I've seen.

I watched Rear Window last night. The way Hitchcock puts you right there in that room with Jimmy Stewart, making you join in on the spying of his neighbors was downright creepy and brilliant. The different couples in the apartments showing the many possibilities that Stewart and Grace Kellys' relationship could end up as was a nice touch. A few weeks ago I watched Vertigo, and as far as the ending goes, I expected something dark, with either Jeff or Lisa dying. However, everything was wrapped up neatly, besides Lisa pretending to be interested in adventuring. I probably should have watched this before Vertigo. Oh well. I still really liked this movie anyway.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this. I guess it just seems...sappy.

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest - I think this is about a guy named MacGuffin who gets lost in a cornfield.

10. The Thin Blue Line

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

7) Night of the Living Dead- time for some early horror

This is the only movie on your list that I've seen. I don't think too highly of it but it's certainly worth watching if you are interested in movies that were highly influential. Not that it's bad or anything, of course.

North by Northwest was pretty drat silly, it felt like a precursor to the James Bond movies. It was very entertaining, although I definitely prefer the more serious Hitchcock films. Mmmmm, hot train on tunnel action.

2. The Seventh Seal

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas - I watched some of this on basic cable once, but watching this movie that way seems like putting a steak in a blender and then drinking it through a straw.

10. The Thin Blue Line

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Obidy posted:

7. Hoop Dreams - I first became interested in seeing this when I heard it so highly recommended from Roger Ebert, and ever since then I've been meaning to watch it but never got around to it.

I'm glad I got a chance to make someone watch this because Hoop Dreams is amazing and it needs to be seen by everyone.

Goodfellas is possibly the most perfectly constructed movie I've ever seen. Every scene, every line, every piece of music, every shot just works. It didn't hit as hard as Taxi Driver emotionally but it's just a different kind of film. It's a drat shame that Ray Liotta never did anything half as good as this. "What am I, a schmuck on wheels?"

2. The Seventh Seal

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas
Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The Thin Blue Line

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

zandert33 posted:

7. Silence of the Lambs:
Just never got around to watching the full thing.

One of the better movies of the last 20 years that I've seen, and the only movie on your list that I have actually watched.

Finally got around to watching Casablanca and man, what a movie. It's far from the flashiest film around but the dialogue, acting and story are pitch perfect.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

marioinblack watch Apocalypse Now.

I watched City Lights and while I didn't laugh very much (except at the hilarious boxing match scene) I did find the romance between the Tramp and the flower girl to be very touching. The ending warmed my cold, black heart. The lack of dialogue didn't bother me at all, though I definitely still prefer it.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief - It has the the highest PSI on my Criticker page, besides that I don't know anything about it.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.

I don't know if you'll like it either, but I loved it so hopefully you will too.

Seven Samurai was 3 1/2 hours of great entertainment. Amazing action, characters and best of all, pacing. I've seen plenty of 90 minute movies that felt longer than this. Although I do have to say that Toshirō Mifune's insane laughter started to annoy me after a while.

1. Seven Samurai
Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief - It has the the highest PSI on my Criticker page, besides that I don't know anything about it.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing - Never seen a Spike Lee film, either.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Picked this completely randomly. It looks like you've seen almost every movie ever made!

The Bicycle Thief turned out to be a simple, heartbreaking tale about the desperation brought on by poverty. It's also incredibly effective in its use of non-actors. This seems like a movie that people will be able to relate to for a very long time.

1. Seven Samurai
Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief
The Battle of Algiers - I've been meaning to watch this for a while now but every time I sit down to watch a movie I pick something else instead. This looks really interesting.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing - Never seen a Spike Lee film, either.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier watch Shadows. Hell if I've ever heard of anything on your list.

I watched Do the Right Thing and it was amazing. I kinda thought that this movie was going to be a super-serious film about an Important Thing, but it's actually extremely entertaining and funny for the most part. Every character was distinct, sympathetic and interesting. The movie seamlessly flows through the neighborhood showing everyone just trying to get by on one hot day. I love how bright and colorful everything is, reminding me how much I dislike the dull blue/green gritty tones that a lot of today's movies use. f-f-f-f-f-f-F-F-F-F-gently caress!

1. Seven Samurai

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief
The Battle of Algiers - I've been meaning to watch this for a while now but every time I sit down to watch a movie I pick something else instead. This looks really interesting.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing
The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more?

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

meanmikhail posted:

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

The only thing on your list that I've actually watched is Chaplin's City Lights. so watch that. It's great!

So The Battle of Algiers was amazing. The way the movie was shot combined with the time it was made makes all the action look like real footage. I liked that while the movie tended to side with the rebels, it didn't hesitate to show them doing awful things. An overall excellent look into modern warfare that resonates just as well today as it did when it was released.

1. Seven Samurai

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief
The Battle of Algiers
The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing
The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more?

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

JohnnyDavidson watch The Third Man. It's a spectacular film.

I thought On the Waterfront was very good, though not all that great outside of the acting. Brando really knocks it out of the park, and the other actors all do fine jobs themselves. Lee J. Cobb gets special mention for being great in this and 12 Angry Men. The two things I disliked most about this movie- the awful, overbearing score and the corny upbeat ending.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

7. Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. The 39 Steps - I want to see more Hitchcock.

9. Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

dotCommunism watch The Godfather.

Wild Strawberries was wonderful, I think I even liked it better than The Seventh Seal. While the movie is about an old man's past mistakes and regrets, there is enough warmth and joy to keep the film from being too somber. The dream sequences were well done and not tacky at all. It's just a beautiful movie.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

10. The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier posted:

Dead Ringers Somehow one of the only major Cronenbergs I've missed; supposed to be his best

I haven't seen any of the films on your list, and this is the only one that I've even heard of.

I just watched The Trial and I loved it. Such a strange, creepy atmosphere combined with unique locations, flawless camera work, perfect editing, and great acting. Perkins is excellent as a confused, depressed man who is slowly driven mad by the world's bizarre and unfair justice system. This movie has so many memorable images. Orson Welles really was a genius.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump watch The Battle of Algiers

Adaptation was extremely well written, well acted and fun to watch. Nicolas Cage really shines in his two roles, and Streep does a great job as well. The last act was amazing.

5. Unforgiven - I love the Dollars trilogy so I don't know why I haven't seen this.

6. Mulholland Dr. - The only Lynch movie I have seen is Blue Velvet, which I loved. Not sure why I haven't seen any of his other films.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

axleblaze posted:

7) The Bicycle Thief: I basically constantly hear people saying how they couldn't stand this movie so it makes me reluctant but I also feel obligated to watch it so...

Hard to choose between this, The French Connection and Raging Bull but I liked this more than the other two.

Unforgiven was absolutely fantastic. It is extremely dark and honest in its depiction of violence and morality. Eastwood's character is really interesting, and he becomes pretty frightening when he returns to being a monster at the end of the film. Definitely one of the best westerns I've ever seen.

5. Dirty Harry - I have no idea how I have not seen this.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

2. Toy Story 2:
I like Pixar, but haven't gotten around to seeing this one yet.

Here you go, Toy Story 2 is great fun.

I liked Annie Hall a lot. The film is extremely inventive, with split-screens, animation, flash-backs with present commentary, and 4th wall breaking. Woody Allen has quite the imagination. The romance is pretty great and the ending is perfect. It was also fun seeing random actors like Christopher Walken and Jeff Goldblum showing up out of nowhere. Hell, Sigourney Weaver was in the credits and I don't even remember seeing her at all.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Vertigo is one of Hitchcock's very best, enjoy.

The 400 Blows was great. Antoine Doinel is such a good character; he's not a good kid at all but you still feel for him when he gets into trouble. The movie is great at showing you the ups and downs in his life, and the ending is spectacular.

10. Diabolique - I've heard it described as a French Hitchcock kind of movie. Sounds interesting.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Archyduke posted:

8. Paris Texas- The only Wim Wenders movie I've seen is Wings of Desire. I actually have a copy of Paris Texas sitting around that I've never gotten around to. Like Short Cuts, I think I'm just put off by the length.

Haven't seen anything on your list, but if you do have a copy of this already then you might as well watch it.

I watched Diabolique and it was a great thriller. The movie builds up tension really well and the last 10 minutes are spectacularly creepy. Whether Hitchcock himself could have made it a better movie, I don't know. It doesn't really matter because this version is very good.

10. Pickpocket - Another French movie that I don't know much about.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Wild Strawberries I know absolutely nothing about either of these except that they are Bergman films.

I had to watch this from this thread and I loved it, I hope you do to.

I watched Mulholland Drive last night and while I didn't quite grasp everything that was going on, I still had a blast watching it. This film just oozes tension and dread while also being funny at times, and I thought the romance between Betty/Rita was done really well. I was most impressed with the cliched dream/fantasy twist, it worked out brilliantly and the ending was great. The only complaint that I can think of is that some minor characters like the detective played by Robert Forster and the Cowboy don't really do much.

I'm going to watch this again very soon. So far this might be my favorite movie that I've seen from this thread. Of course, watching this late at night was a bad idea. I had a nightmare where I was trapped in an evil Los Angeles hellscape. That was less fun.

6. Boogie Nights - Supposed to be a great Scorseseish movie, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

2) Dog Day Afternoon- I hear that this may be Pacino's best work

Great movie with great acting across the board.

The 39 Steps is a great, tightly constructed thriller. Robert Donat plays a great "wrong man" and Madeleine Carroll's character was a good foil as well. This movie has a very nice combination of tension, action and humor. Some of the plot points were ridiculously convenient, but really who cares?

I also watched Dirty Harry and I thought that it was decent. There is some good action and a couple of great lines, but all of the characters were awful. Harry himself is a completely unlikeable rear end in a top hat. I like ugly, mean characters when they're actually interesting. There is nothing worthwhile about Harry. He's the less of two evils and on the opposite side of the law, that's it. His partner is completely useless, the mayor was retarded, and the villain wasn't interesting at all. I guess that it's pretty hard to look at this movie fairly since it's been parodied millions of times. Like good old McGarnagle.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns...

6. Boogie Nights - Supposed to be a great Scorseseish movie, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Zogo posted:

#102 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

Haven't seen anything on your list, picked this randomly.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God was great. It had an amazing combination of haunting music and beautiful shots. Klaus Kinski was pretty terrifying as the title character. He really carried the movie.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Only seen parts of it on TV. Seems weird that I've never seen it in full.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns...

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

North by Northwest I've seen parts of this before, and know the basic story.

This movie is pretty fun, just don't take it too seriously.

8 1/2 was excellent, though it didn't really blow me away. I feel this is a movie that needs to be seen multiple times. I loved the interweaving of reality, fantasy, and memory. Honestly, I don't know what else to say. I just need to watch this again at some point, I think I'll like it a lot more with a second viewing.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Only seen parts of it on TV. Seems weird that I've never seen it in full.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire - Well, I have seen the Simpsons episode that was based on this...

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.

Never seen it but I am planning to watch it soon so I might as well make someone else see it as well.

Boogie Nights was great. It's a long movie, but I was never bored. This is the first Paul Thomas Anderson movie that I've seen and I was very impressed. There are tons and tons of memorable characters supported by great acting. Mark Wahlberg, Burt Reynolds, John C. Reilly and Don Cheadle stood out the most to me, but everyone else was great as well.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire - Well, I have seen the Simpsons episode that was based on this...

6. Boogie Nights Pulp Fiction - I've seen large chunks of it, including the ending, but I feel like I should watch it from start to finish sometime. Unfortunately I don't think I could get full enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 25, 2010

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

#23 Mulholland Dr. - Let's give Lynch another go.

My favorite movie that I've seen from this thread.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was loving awesome. I had seen all of the most famous scenes already, but the whole movie is a perfectly paced adventure. Besides all the amazing action scenes, the movie has a great sense of humor as well. The only nitpick I have is that some of the special effects look pretty crappy now.

Also watched A Streetcar Named Desire which was good as well. The acting is great-especially Brando's Stanley, who was terrifying. There's really not much else to it since it's a film version of a play.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

6. Pulp Fiction - I've seen large chunks of it, including the ending, but I feel like I should watch it from start to finish sometime. Unfortunately I don't think I could get full enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

12 Angry Men: I know almost everything about this movie, but I still feel like I should see it. The only Henry Fonda film I've seen so far is Once Upon a Time in the West, so I think I should see more.

Even if you know so much about it it's still well worth watching.

The General really impressed me. Making a train chase so entertaining, then doing it again in reverse was pretty cool. I can't believe the stunts Buster Keaton actually had to do. The feeling of watching someone really risking their life on the screen just makes the movie more exciting. I also liked Keaton's calm disposition. I kinda expect silent movies to have characters who are constantly mugging or doing double-takes. It was kinda weird having a Confederate hero and Union villains though.

2. A Clockwork Orange - Biggest Kubrick film that I haven't seen yet.

3. The Asphalt Jungle - Don't have much noir under my belt.

6. Pulp Fiction - I've seen large chunks of it, including the ending, but I feel like I should watch it from start to finish sometime. Unfortunately I don't think I could get full enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. The General Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier posted:

Two-Lane Blacktop This is supposed to be like a drive-in classic, right? I like those.

As is usually the case, I have not seen any movies on your list. This one sounds interesting at least.

Captain Lou posted:

Atheistdeals.com, you get to see Bresson's Pickpocket - one of my favorite films. As a little bonus, you have to read Sontag's short essay on Bresson too: http://www.coldbacon.com/writing/sontag-bresson.html And if you like Paul Schrader's work (particularly with Scorsese), you'll appreciate it more after seeing Pickpocket.

I watched Pickpocket and I enjoyed it well enough. The pickpocketing sequences themselves are by far the best parts of the film. Unfortunately Bresson's insistence on bare-bones, no frills acting did not appeal to me at all. The man does what he sets out to do perfectly, but the end result is not really my cup of tea. I do have to say that despite the lukewarm feeling that I had after watching it, the film is constructed brilliantly and I definitely understand why other people love it so much.

7. Platoon - I don't think I've ever seen an Oliver Stone movie.

10. Pickpocket Lawrence of Arabia - But it's soooooo long! :qq:

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Daunte Vicknabb you get Citizen Kane.

Amadeus was spectacular. Antonio Salieri is one of the most compelling characters that I have seen in a movie. The acting, sets/costumes, and especially the music make this a truly great film. Unfortunately, I will never get Mozart's laugh out of my head. Ever.

I also watched Pulp Fiction and I loved it. The dialogue is, of course, amazing. It's definitely one of my new favorite movies.

1. Amadeus Eraserhead - This looks wholesome.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

6. Pulp Fiction The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

9. The Sting - Sounds fun.

10. Lawrence of Arabia - But it's soooooo long! :qq:

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 26, 2011

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Night of The Living Dead
What is wrong with me? I should have seen this a long time ago.

Only movie on your list that I've seen but it is a good one.

Lawrence of Arabia is truly awe-inspiring. The best thing about it is the beautiful desert landscapes, followed by Peter O'Toole's amazing portrayal of Lawrence. This film makes very good use of its hefty running time. Nothing seems drawn out just for the sake of it.

1. Eraserhead - This looks wholesome.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more. :zombie: Has been on list the longest. :zombie:

6. The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

10. Lawrence of Arabia Jules and Jim - More French...stuff.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

bluefire579 posted:

The Devil's Backbone: I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, just have not gotten around to seeing this one

Haven't seen anything on your list, but I do want to watch this soon so there you go.

Eraserhead is one of the creepiest movies that I have ever seen. The constant droning noises, the baby, and the black and white colors really add up to a perfect nightmare. It's a great movie, and I never want to loving see it ever again.

1. Eraserhead Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Internet favorite, I really don't know much about it.

6. The Thin Red Line - Never seen a Malick picture. This looks like it has a pretty great cast.

10. Jules and Jim - More French...stuff.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Yojimbo I seen the Dollars trilogy which one of the movies in it, is a remake of this, but due to laziness never got around to see the original.

This movie is awesome.

The Lady Vanishes is an excellent movie. It has a great mix of humor, suspense, mystery and even action. I loved every character on that train. If the comedy in Hitchcock's suspense movies is so good, I wonder if his comedy movies are amazing?

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Internet favorite, I really don't know much about it.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns! I'll be getting this next on my netflix queue so don't bother recommending it.

8. The Lady Vanishes Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

knees of putty posted:

Jules et Jim I'd like to practice my French.

Haven't seen seen anything on your list, picked this because it's on mine.

The Wild Bunch was pretty great. The shootouts and action setpieces were spectacular. I liked the pursuit of Pike by his former partner and the characters' backstories. This movie feels pretty modern actually, maybe it's the editing. 8.3/10

I don't really know how to feel about A Clockwork Orange. On one hand, I love the visual design. Strange, bright colors everywhere. Oddly shaped chairs and cars and purple hair. It's a future 70's dystopia, like if Fallout had a 1970's theme instead of 1950's. I also liked the ridiculous slang that Alex talks with, though I can see how it would annoy some people. On the other hand, the story really didn't connect with me much at all. I don't really know how to explain it, but everything just seemed...pointless. The criminals are bad, the police are bad, the government is bad, the public is stupid and easily led. I mean, I've seen (and loved) plenty of movies where there are no good guys. I think the main themes of the movie flew over my head. Maybe I'm just an idiot. 7.5/10

1. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Internet favorite, I really don't know much about it.

2. A Clockwork Orange Singin' in the Rain - I guess I have to put this here after A Clockwork Orange used the title song so prominently.

5. The Wild Bunch Once Upon a Time in the West - Love the Dollars trilogy, don't know why I haven't seen this yet.

8. Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Practical Demon posted:

4. Amelie - I enjoy quirky French things well enough, so why have I not gotten to this?

Lots of great movies on your list, Amelie isn't my favorite but I don't think I have recommended it yet.

Platoon was very good. The most effective parts of the film were the chaotic battle scenes. I rolled my eyes pretty hard early in the film when a soldier shows a picture of his girl to Charlie Sheen's character and then almost immediately dies. However, besides that there weren't a ton of war movie cliches, and if there were this movie might have invented them in the first place. Speaking of Sheen, he does a passable job. Actually this movie has an excellent cast, but most of the actors seem wasted by having only a few lines. I would've accepted a longer running time in exchange for some more characterization. Seeing this reminded me how much I disliked Casualties of War.

2. Singin' in the Rain - I guess I have to put this here after A Clockwork Orange used the title song so prominently.

5. Once Upon a Time in the West - Love the Dollars trilogy, don't know why I haven't seen this yet.

7. Platoon City of God - Going into this one fairly blind, which is rare since I somehow read the ending to every movie ever made.

8. Dial M for Murder - MURDER!

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon