Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was going to say "I've seen everything listed in this thread :smug:" but then you hosed it up with Color Purple. MHB, you get to see Jules et Jim.

I've seen most of the "canon", so here are the top 10 most-voted-on movies from iMDB that I currently no have intention of seeing:

1. 300 - I just can't imagine I would like anything about this.

2. The Prestige - I guess I feel like I know it already? Seems to have been spoiled many times on this forum.

3. Transformers - Uh, see #1

4. The Green Mile - This might be good. I think Shawshank is overrated, and I'm not a huge King fan or a huge Tom Hanks fan, but I'm willing to give it a go.

5. Snatch - Never seen a Guy Ritchie film. He seems annoying.

6. Shrek - Ehhhh, this doesn't look funny at all.

7. I Am Legend - Seems like something I wouldn't mind.

8. The Bourne Ultimatum - I liked the first one well enough. Is this the 2nd or the 3rd? If it's the 3rd I'd rather watch the 2nd first.

9. Cloverfield - I saw that South Park episode.

10. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - As a Criterion title, I might have gotten around to this eventually (although I'm still avoiding King of Kings and all those Paul Robeson movies) but nothing about this one leaps out at me as a must-see.

edit: The number of you who haven't seen Casablanca is heart-breaking. Listen to your dads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thegloaming posted:

I thought you'd go with some really obscure ones that no one else has heard of

That would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

thegloaming posted:

Have I been wrong about you all these years days?!

That depends on what you mean.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Twin Cinema posted:

The only film I have seen on your list Magic Hate Ball is Saving Private Ryan, and I think it's a solid film. I don't have much interest in WW2 either, mostly because I felt the market was over saturated with films about the subject in the late-90s/early-00s.

You skipped me :mad:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This is getting all hosed up now.

Twin Cinema: you need to pick one for me

iastudent: you need to pick one for ProfessorClumsy

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ha ha, FFD has to watch Shrek.

I guess that's better than the Transformers I almost got stuck with.

gently caress. Is it too late to go back and change my list to 10 super obscure old European films?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This thread is spiraling out of control faster than the "Suggest a Movie to the Previous Poster" thread.

Honest Thief picks for iastudent
theBunt picks for Honest Thief
next guy picks for theBunt

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Since bmk's mailbox is full (I guess some people don't obsessively clean up like their messages like I do) I'll respond here:

quote:

bad movie knight wrote on Jun 01, 2010 13:20:
Just for my own peace of mind, what on earth gave you the idea that you'd enjoy this film more than anything else on the list (excluding, I presume, The Green Mile)? It couldn't be less of your cup of tea if it tried.

I dunno, isn't it supposed to be mildly intelligent sci-fi? I kind of like "last man on Earth" scenarios.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Knoddus posted:

My list:

1. La Règle du jeu - Had a friend that used to rave about it all the time, promised him I'd watch it but never got around to it.
2. Chinatown - I really like Nicholson, but for some reason I declined borrowing it from a relative.
3. Chungking Express - I rarely watch asian films, don't know why.
4. Caché - Like Haneke, Binoche and Auteuil, why haven't I seen this?
5. La Haine - Again a friend wanted me to see it, still haven't.
6. Barton Fink - Kind of hyped up, been afraid it won't live up to it.
7. Crimes and Misdemeanors - Feels like forgotten Woody Allen, should have seen it by now.
8. Solaris - Need to see more russian film.
9. Five Easy Pieces - Nicholson again!
10. Paris, Texas - Saw like 15 minutes of it a year ago, liked it but I had to interrupt it for whatever reason.

I won't recommend since I'm already in the cycle (just put Shrek on hold at the library!) but I would say 7 or 8 of those are overrated to some degree.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm not that crazy about it either. My theory about its popularity is that it's a foreign film that's easy to understand and pushes a lot of simple emotional buttons. It's a movie that gives the rubes a chance to say "see, I DO like foreign films, just not the boring pretentious ones!"

I haven't seen Life is Beautiful, but I suspect that's the same scenario.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, there are Truffaut people and there are Godard people. It's rare to find someone who loves both. Almost every Godard movie has left me cold.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kyle Hyde posted:

Network - Started watching it, then got propositioned for sex. Guess which won.

Network is better than sex :colbert:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

OregonDonor posted:

Original Name, go with Blade Runner.

Robert_Deadford posted:

Peaceful Anarchy, I request and require that you watch First Blood

You guys are messing with the order. Why is this so hard for people to figure out?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like it'll be a while before the library gets me a copy of Shrek. I really want to watch it so it'll be my turn again, and then I can make PA watch Neotpravlennoye pismo.

edit: I mean because it's awesome, not because I want to punish PA

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

However, I could not stand most of the dialogue. Maybe it makes me a philistine, I don't know, but the kind of delivery they had reminded me of the lesser Bergman movies like Hour of the Wolf - nobody addresses one another, they look into the camera or off to the side and deliver abrupt, cryptic remarks without any sort of flow at all. It's passionless and distancing and needlessly anesthetizes the scenes. The two mothers were the only ones who I thought could pull it off - maybe because they had that weary sort of mom-wisdom going on.

Is this your first Bresson? This was kind of his thing. It takes some getting used to, but after you do you can't imagine it any other way.

penismightier posted:

Overall, though, a hell of a movie. Probably my new favorite of the French New Wave (does it count?).

Like toro says, no, not usually.

toro913 posted:

Any Satyajit Ray: just haven't taken the plunge

Taking this opportunity to plug my thread once again. Even though half the image links are dead now :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Does anybody even know how to get Neotpravlennoye pismo? Is it even on DVD? It seems like one of those things that shoots up to the top of the list because a bunch of Criticker users saw it as some festival and tier 10'd it.

I didn't see it at a festival, I'm just "resourceful". :ninja:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cailin Rua posted:

I wasn't sure at first about the constant breaking of the third wall

:viggo: fourth wall

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Yeah, story-wise it's nowhere near as good as Cranes or The Letter Never Sent but the camerawork is loving amazing. I really want to see more films shot by Urusevskty.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So, when are you going to get around to watching Shrek?

I'm still waiting for it. I didn't want to use a Netflix slot for it, so I put it on hold at the library. I'm currently #7 in line, but they have 21 copies so it shouldn't be too much longer.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thegloaming posted:

Also I was thinking of seeing Fanny and Alexander on Instant Watch, but it's the theatrical. Should I subject myself to the 5 hour TV version instead?

The TV version is much better.

p.s. Heimat is over 15 hours and it's really good. I still need to see the 2nd and 3rd series.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Voodoofly posted:

I've always wondered, what is people's take on the TV v Theater version for Scenes from a Marriage? I go back and forth - I like the TV version because I like spending time with them, but I think the Theatrical version actually might be a better movie as far as pacing and "plot" (ha) are concerned.

I agree. I prefer the theatrical version of Scenes, it's much tighter.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

elendilmir posted:

Damned if I didn't, and I apologize. It seems, however that Twin Cinema has given me my homework assignment, so I'm off. I'll have my summary of Grosse Point Blank in a few days.

The point is you need to give Wolfgang Pauli a recommendation.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, I've watched a fair amount of Fellini, and if you're interested in the opinion of someone else who loves 8 1/2 but is lukewarm on La Dolce Vita...

Love:
Nights of Cabiria
8 1/2
Juliet of the Spirits

Like:
Variety Lights
And the Ship Sails On
I Vitelloni
Il Bidone
La Dolce Vita
La Strada

Meh:
Roma
The White Sheik
Satyricon

Hate:
Amarcord

I'll be watching Casanova pretty soon, but I have low expectations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

VorpalBunny posted:

Peaceful Anarchy, I have always regarded your list as a mindfuck and pitied any person who had to recommend a film to you. As luck would have it, that is now me! So, enjoy...The Last Emperor. I hope it's good.

There's some not-so-great (IMHO) stuff on his list, but it's all worth checking out.

Shrek finally came in at the library, so I'll be watching it sometime this week. Then I'm redoing my list, I don't think "most voted on movies at iMDB" is going to work out for me. Maybe I'll go with my highest PSI's at Criticker.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SneakySneaks posted:

Alright I've been a bad CD poster and I took forever to watch Amelie, but I loved it so I guess that makes up for my tardiness. It was a very good flick and it was nice that I was given a film to watch that wasn't horrifically depressing (sorry Noxville).

Anyway here's my list

Solaris (Tarkovsky)
Stalker
Night of the Hunter
Spartacus
Barry Lyndon
Amadeus
Network
Nashville
Dog Day Afternoon

You need to pick one for blakout.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance would be a good replacement after you see Mr. Smith. It's a fitting conclusion to Jimmy Stewart's young idealist character.

I would squeeze You Can't Take It With You in there first.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hellbunny posted:

6 Stalker Who the gently caress is Andrej Tarkovskij? Since I have no idea, I wanna check him out. This one seems to one of his better films, so I might as well start here.

This is what you are watching. It's my favorite Tarkovsky.

Shrek - I avoided this for nearly 10 years because it looked like something I would hate. But looks can be deceiving. They can also... not be deceiving. Within the first three minutes, there's a fart joke and "All Star". I have a strict "no Smash Mouth" policy. As the movie progresses, there are jokes about pee, snot, ear wax, bad breath, dicks, balls and rear end. When it's not being "irreverent" and crude, it's loaded with horribly tired gags, vacuous pop culture parodies, and uninspired attempts at fairy tale irony. However, it wasn't a total loss. The animation is quite good for its era, even managing to avoid the "uncanny valley" on the human characters most of the time. The story, when stripped of the awful sense of humor, is actually rather engaging and charming. And I truly enjoyed Eddie Murphy's performance, his delivery of "Look at my eye twitching" even made me laugh out loud. It made me long for the days when he did funny movies. But at the end, the movie pissed away any goodwill it had earned with a jokey montage, over a cover of "I'm a Believer" by... loving Smash Mouth. So painful. So painful. Rating: 5

Since my previous list was based on a terrible idea, I've revamped it with movies that I'm actually somewhat ashamed at not having seen.

1. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch - Never seen any Guy Ritchie. I don't think I'd like him, but I ought to see what the fuss is about.

2. The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but I've liked all his film noir.

3. Dolemite - I saw Petey Wheatstraw and hated it, but I've since learned that it's considered to be one of the worst Rudy Ray Moore movies. I love House Party, it'd be nice to have a reference point for the Dolemite jokes.

4. Sleuth - Certain goons keep raving about it.

5. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan at all, but it seems like most people hold this one in high regard.

6. The Iron Giant - Wrote it off initially, have since learned it's actually good.

7. Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

8. Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

9. A Tanú - My highest PSI at Criticker.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jolo posted:

I watched The Seventh Seal and it was really good. It was actually quite a bit funnier than I expected.

This is the universal reaction to Seventh Seal. No one (including myself) ever expects it to be funny.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thegloaming posted:

Hey Danga, what would you suggest for a first-time Ray?

I was asked this in my Ray thread and I still think Pather Panchali is a good place to start. Charulata would be a good entry point too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

My Fair Concubine

I'm trying to imagine a hybrid of My Fair Lady and Farewell My Concubine but it's not working.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Popelmon posted:

Fanny and Alexander
I loved the 7th Seal and from what I read so far I'm sure I will love it. But lately I'm really not in a subtitle mood for some reason.

Get in the subtitle mood, because this is your assignment. And this is very important: watch the long version. The theatrical version is fine, but the television version is so much better.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Blu-Ray) - My first Guy Ritchie movie. It really wasn't as bad as I expected. I had feared it would be a lot of hip, flashy tough guys with attitude, spouting stupid one-liners and an orgy of senseless violence and all that. Aaaaand... well, it was that, but not to the unbearable degree I thought it would be. The four guys at the center were not as annoying as the rest of the characters, at least. And Ritchie does seem to have a knack for crafting an intricate, Tarantino-esque scenario with some clever business. The jokes weren't that great, but they weren't groaners either. I wouldn't watch it again, but it didn't fill me with hate either. Rating: 7

My updated list:

FitFortDanga posted:

1. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch - Never seen any Guy Ritchie. I don't think I'd like him, but I ought to see what the fuss is about.

2. The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but I've liked all his film noir.

3. Dolemite - I saw Petey Wheatstraw and hated it, but I've since learned that it's considered to be one of the worst Rudy Ray Moore movies. I love House Party, it'd be nice to have a reference point for the Dolemite jokes.

5. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan at all, but it seems like most people hold this one in high regard.

6. The Iron Giant - Wrote it off initially, have since learned it's actually good.

7. Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

8. Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The second half I found less interesting than the first, and there was a half hour or so segment from about the 2hour mark to the 2:30 hour mark that was nearly unbearably stupid.

I wonder if you saw the same cut I did. Was that the part with Eric, ranting about his sweat?

EDIT: ah poo poo, Netflix doesn't have Sleuth. And neither does the library. I'll look around for it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Watch Snatch, it will be a good lead on from Smoking Barrels, and I think it is much better and more accessible. It's also extremely loving funny.

I already got my hands on Sleuth, might watch it tonight. Also, I don't think I need any more Guy Ritchie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Amarcord is not a good entry point for Fellini.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vagabundo posted:

What would you recommend, then?

8 1/2. There's a reason it ends up near the top of so many lists. I generally try to avoid making grandiose, sweeping statements, but I would go so far as to say if you don't like 8 1/2, you don't really like movies.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Finally I get to pick for PA. You've got a lot of interesting choices, but I'm gonna have to give you Satantango.

Sleuth - A fun cat-and-mouse style thriller, with Laurence Olivier as a snobbish, racist author of detective novels and Michael Caine as a salon owner having an affair with his wife. The film reminded me an awful lot of Deathtrap, not just because of Caine, but also the dry humor, the confined setting, and the way the tables are always being turned, the sense of oneupsmanship. I don't think it's all that funny, but it is put together cleverly, as long as you can overlook the fact that Olivier is shockingly bad at recognizing Caine in a cheap disguise. Beyond the intricacies of the plotting, it's also an interesting commentary on class and bourgeois puffery. Not the kind of movie I would keep in my collection, but I'd probably watch it again if I caught it while channel surfing. Rating: 8

updated list:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tewratomeh needs to pick one for CloseFriend.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

A Time to Live and a Time to Die I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Hou is kind of boring in general, but this is one of the duller ones. I'd go with A Summer at Grandpa's, Good Men, Good Women, City of Sadness or Flowers of Shanghai.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

I know it's been stated, but PA, you are flying through these movies at a hell of an impressive rate. I've been with this thread since page three and I've only gotten around to watching two so far.

I just counted... he's done 23 already. I'll be doing my fourth tonight.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'll do PA, just give me a few minutes to finish my Iron Giant write-up

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ah poo poo, I forgot to watch The Soup. Good thing they re-run it a billion times.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

I don't think Triumph is that great, either. Olympia is. Watch it.

The Iron Giant - Hey, I remember when this was a lovely Pete Townshend album. This movie (executive produced by Townshend) is a slightly better attempt at the material. Very nice animation and the titular character has some charm to him. On the one hand, I had some nagging questions about him, but in the end I was happier that he was left ambiguous. The film's heart is in the right place -- a celebration of peaceful resolution and condemnation of cold war paranoia -- even if it's not executed with much depth or finesse. The real dealbreaker for me is the protagonist: an obnoxious, grating, poorly-acted little boy. I just can't get with that, I was constantly wishing he would shut up. I also have to say I didn't find the gags very funny, nor was I particularly moved when I was supposed to be. But I enjoyed the overall spirit of the thing. Rating: 6

updated list:

The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but I've liked all his film noir.

Dolemite - I saw Petey Wheatstraw and hated it, but I've since learned that it's considered to be one of the worst Rudy Ray Moore movies. I love House Party, it'd be nice to have a reference point for the Dolemite jokes.

Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

A Tanú - My highest PSI at Criticker.

Wings of Hope - A film by Herzog I haven't seen yet. If I like it enough, it might make my 2000 consensus votes.

Mon oncle d'Amerique - I was going to watch it anyway, and again it could make my 1980 picks.

Le roi et l'oiseau - Another contender for 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Papercannon posted:

My list is a little different. I'm down to the last 10 of the top 250 and I want to know which movie I should watch last (to end on a high note) as well as which I should watch next.

It's not my turn to recommend yet, but if you want to end on a high note, end with Wild Strawberries. I'm not just saying that as a Bergmanophile either. The others are all good, but Wild Strawberries is the perfect "high note".