Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I've recently watched Godfather Part II, 12 Angry Men, and Goodfellas for the very first time (actually, those are the last three movies I've gotten from Netflix!), and out of those I have to say I enjoyed Goodfellas the most. It's just a great loving movie and I absolutely love Ray Liotta now. So, thegloaming, go watch Goodfellas!

I've been slowly chopping away at the IMDB Top 250 as just a starting point for really "getting in" to films, and I'm at 118/250 right now. I'm mostly missing some older classics like the original King Kong, Metropolis, City Lights, etc... but there's some real "WHY NOT!?"'s on there too. Here's a few:

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
I just watched all of The Shining for the first time recently, and it took that movie for me to get over my irrational hatred of Jack Nicholson. The only other thing keeping me from watching this is that I have Kesey's book sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read before I watch this. This is also the one movie that's keeping me from having seen the top 10 movies on the list.

2. Seven Samurai
It's on my Netflix queue and I absolutely adore the other Kurosawa films I've watched recently (just saw Rashomon for the the first time last week, loved it). I've heard this movie is particularly awesome and a classic and all that good stuff, but I tend to lean towards watching shorter movies on my queue before getting into the 200+ minute stuff. This is more of an issue because my internet is terrible and probably won't hold out for the entire movie.

3. Casablanca
I've owned the DVD of this for loving seven years and I've never once taken the disc out to watch it. This is probably the biggest shame and one of the few DVDs I own that still remains unwatched.

4. Se7en
Heard great things, love the cast, love Fincher, don't know why the gently caress I've never seen it. I literally have no reason for it other than "I'll get around to it."

5. Every Hitchcock movie except The Man Who Knew Too Much, Psycho, and North by Northwest.
I'm not sure why. There's a ton on Netflix and they're all on my queue, I just haven't gotten around to any others. I could use a suggestion on where to go from here.

So, maybe on second thought OP, you should watch Casablanca with me :v:

Good thread with a great start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
We should all have a Se7en watching party! It's being recommended quite frequently.

I'm getting it from Netflix right after I return Raging Bull :)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I can't say I'm surprised that there's quite a few people who haven't watched Barry Lyndon. It's a very slow movie, but Kubrick is a very slow director. I will say, though, that even after seeing Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, and 2001, that it was Barry Lyndon that made me realize I love Kubrick a whole lot.

Yeah it's slow, and yeah it's long, but there's some funny parts and the ending made me clench my buttcheeks a lot, so just give it a watch already!

My $0.02, but I'm waiting for Se7en to get here from Netflix :(

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Skeesix, go watch The Matrix. The effects still look good, it's not boring at all, and it's a great action/sci-fi film that everyone else has seen, so why not you! :cool:

I just watched Se7en and I'm a little confused about the ending. I'll just spoiler it because clearly I'm not the only one who has not seen it (until now, obviously): Spacey talks about how everyone will remember this and it's so important... and then he's shot in the head 6 times and the movie ends. Uh, okay then. Again, Spacey was loving great and I loved the chemistry between the three characters during the dinner scene, and the contrasting chemistry between the three characters in the driving scene at the end. What this movie makes me really want, though, is for Fincher to direct a Saw movie, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Finally watching it also reinforced my love for Zodiac, which is still one of my favorite movies ever.

here's my new list:

The Machine posted:

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
I just watched all of The Shining for the first time recently, and it took that movie for me to get over my irrational hatred of Jack Nicholson. The only other thing keeping me from watching this is that I have Kesey's book sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read before I watch this. This is also the one movie that's keeping me from having seen the top 10 movies on the list.

2. Seven Samurai
It's on my Netflix queue and I absolutely adore the other Kurosawa films I've watched recently (just saw Rashomon for the the first time last week, loved it). I've heard this movie is particularly awesome and a classic and all that good stuff, but I tend to lean towards watching shorter movies on my queue before getting into the 200+ minute stuff. This is more of an issue because my internet is terrible and probably won't hold out for the entire movie.

3. Casablanca
I've owned the DVD of this for loving seven years and I've never once taken the disc out to watch it. This is probably the biggest shame and one of the few DVDs I own that still remains unwatched.

s4. Se7en
Heard great things, love the cast, love Fincher, don't know why the gently caress I've never seen it. I literally have no reason for it other than "I'll get around to it."

5. Every Hitchcock movie except The Man Who Knew Too Much, Psycho, and North by Northwest.
I'm not sure why. There's a ton on Netflix and they're all on my queue, I just haven't gotten around to any others. I could use a suggestion on where to go from here.

I'll go with one more suggestion before I redo the list and add some more to it (while keeping ones I haven't already watched, obviously). This thread is going great!

Oh, minor addition, I watched 12 Monkeys tonight too (making this my "Brad Pitt in 1995"-movie night, I guess) and it's a shame he lost Best Supporting Actor to Spacey (who oddly could've also won it for Se7en if you ask me!).

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
iastudent, This is Spinal Tap is calling you! Go watch it, buddy.

I watched Casablanca, finally, tonight and holy poo poo I loved it. Humphrey Bogart is just an instant pleasure to watch and hear. The relationship between Rick and Renault was hilarious and charming, and I loved the romance as well. Great loving movie, no wonder it's so well-loved.

Anyway, I remade my list including some from my original and some more shameful ones.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
If I have seen this film in it's entirety, I don't remember really anything about it. It's beyond shameful that I haven't seen it... it's pathetic. :gonk:

2. Blue Velvet
The only Lynch I've seen is Dune, which I really enjoyed. It's shameful I haven't seen this (hey that's what this thread is for!).

3. Chinatown
I've only seen two Polanski films (The Ninth Gate and The Pianist), so I guess you could count Rosemary's Baby here, too. Just haven't gotten around to them yet.

4. The 400 Blows
I've never seen any Truffaut, nor do I have much French New Wave-viewing experience. I don't have an aversion to older foreign films, this one has just been waiting for me to get to it.

5. Amelie
I guess I'm just bad with French films? At least this one isn't even ten years old yet. It's been towards the top of my Netflix queue for awhile.

6. Once Upon a Time in the West/America
I'll count these under the same number because I have the same reason for both: I love Leone, but I haven't gotten around to 'em yet.

7. Spartacus
I love Kubrick, and I even love Showtimes' Spartacus: Blood and Sand, so the fact I haven't seen THIS is just... dare I say, shameful?

8. Rear Window
I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock, but this is the highest on IMDB's list and I haven't seen it, so why not start there?

9. It's a Wonderful Life
No loving clue. I'll just say I never watched it because nothing can top Elf and A Christmas Story as my favorite Xmas movies, heh.

10. American History X
I know about bitches bitin' curbs, do I really need to watch it? (Yes, tell me to)

I'll just keep adding to my list until I've gone through my whole Netflix queue, God willing I live that long! Bring it on, bitches!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Peaceful Anarchy I command thee to finish off The Decalogue. I chose that for two reasons: One, I'm familiar with it, having seen #10 (and only that!), and two, because it's the only thing on your list I'm familiar with. :gonk:

Only six more hours, you can do it!

drat, No Wave, good choice with The 400 Blows. I've removed it from my list and re-added Seven Samurai. What a joy to watch! The cinematography is amazing. So many shots of people just walking down a street, but it's so well done. I enjoyed the ending, and I think it mirrors the movie quite nicely. Not much else I can say, other than holy crap, fantastic. I'll have to check out the rest of Truffaut's Antoine-films. Good story told excellently.

Here's this thing:

The Machine posted:

If I have seen this film in it's entirety, I don't remember really anything about it. It's beyond shameful that I haven't seen it... it's pathetic. :gonk:

2. Blue Velvet
The only Lynch I've seen is Dune, which I really enjoyed. It's shameful I haven't seen this (hey that's what this thread is for!).

3. Chinatown
I've only seen two Polanski films (The Ninth Gate and The Pianist), so I guess you could count Rosemary's Baby here, too. Just haven't gotten around to them yet.

4. Amelie
I guess I'm just bad with French films? At least this one isn't even ten years old yet. It's been towards the top of my Netflix queue for awhile.

5. Once Upon a Time in the West/America
I'll count these under the same number because I have the same reason for both: I love Leone, but I haven't gotten around to 'em yet.

6. Spartacus
I love Kubrick, and I even love Showtimes' Spartacus: Blood and Sand, so the fact I haven't seen THIS is just... dare I say, shameful?

7. Rear Window
I haven't seen a lot of Hitchcock, but this is the highest on IMDB's list and I haven't seen it, so why not start there?

8. It's a Wonderful Life
No loving clue. I'll just say I never watched it because nothing can top Elf and A Christmas Story as my favorite Xmas movies, heh.

9. American History X
I know about bitches bitin' curbs, do I really need to watch it? (Yes, tell me to)

10. Seven Samurai
What can I say? I love the Kurosawa films I've already seen. I suppose the 200+ minute length has kept me from sitting down to it, though.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
My internet has been too slow for me to get on watching Amelie and it's making me wish I lived closer to a distro center.

These 1-day waits in between DVDs is maddening, I tell you! :argh:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It was me. I was made to watch the Decalogue though, so those 600 minutes has you both beat.

You post it, you better be ready to watch it. :smug:

That said, my internet has been loving terrible so trying to watch Amelie has been useless. Instead, I got Raiders of the Lost Ark on DVD and actually fell asleep within the first half-hour (granted, I was tired as gently caress, but still who the hell falls asleep during Indiana Jones?).

I will give both a shot this weekend and hopefully get back into the game!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
FancyMike you get Raging Bull. I just watched it for the first time recently and it's truly fantastic. When it was over I really wanted more, and I rarely do that with movies. Di Nero is my hero :3:.

I watched Amelie finally and I absolutely adored it. The quirky, understated humor was great and Audrey Tautou is gorgeous! I loved the editing and the effects they did, like x-raying on Amelie's pocket to reveal a key and whatnot. It reminded me a lot of Royal Tenenbaum's, especially the beginning where they introduced the characters. Just absolutely fantastic.

Here's my updated list.

The Machine posted:

If I have seen this film in it's entirety, I don't remember really anything about it. It's beyond shameful that I haven't seen it... it's pathetic.
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet

3. Chinatown

4. The Deer Hunter
I can't believe I haven't seen this. I don't even know much about it aside from Walken and Di Nero.
Amelie
The 400 Blows

6. Spartacus

7. Rear Window

8. It's a Wonderful Life

9. American History X

10. Seven Samurai
What can I say? I love the Kurosawa films I've already seen. I suppose the 200+ minute length has kept me from sitting down to it, though.

D-d-do iiit.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Holy gently caress I haven't posted here in awhile, sorry! My loss. :(

I got down to watching Spartacus earlier today and it was about as good as I hoped it would be. It definitely didn't feel Kubrickian the entire way through, but I was warned about that from the beginning so I was prepared for something a little different. I wish Kubrick had done this later in his career so he could've had more control over it, but I love Kirk Douglas more than I ever have. I also really dug the score, actually sitting through the overture at the beginning :v:

I also cheated a bit and watched Raiders of the Lost Ark too, which I enjoyed obviously, but not as much as I remember when I was younger. I've lost some of my boyhood love of adventure I guess.

The Machine posted:

1. Shane
Oh boy I do love westerns, I just haven't gotten around to this classic.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet

3. Chinatown

4. The Deer Hunter
I can't believe I haven't seen this. I don't even know much about it aside from Walken and Di Nero.
Amelie
The 400 Blows

6. The Killing
I'm running out of Kubrick films to see honestly, and this seems like the next logical step!
Spartacus

7. Rear Window

8. It's a Wonderful Life

9. American History X

10. Seven Samurai

Gimme your best shot, I promise I'll be more timely...

Okay, zandert33, you get Ford's The Searchers because I love it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Kassoon's list is like a glimpse into the future 20 years from now when future goons that are being born now are posting their own lists.

EDIT- he even admits to being bored by black and white movies, holy poo poo.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Nroo, watch M because you already own it you silly goose.

I watched It's a Wonderful Life. I love James Stewart and I thought the movie was very funny, and George's fall into despair was believable. I was annoyed by the constant barrage of optimism and sentimentality, and it was a little mind-numbing but I've heard that that's what Capra is all about so I accept it I guess. The story is so familiar I was surprised at how much of the movie I recognized even thought I've never seen the movie before.

And oops, I watched American History X because gently caress da rulez :smug:
I really enjoyed Norton's performance, and Furlong's (who knew that would happen!), but the ending made me confused because it seems like the racism was somewhat justified and I just didn't like that. I'll never see the fat dude from Mallrats/My Name is Earl the same way again, haha.

~New List~

1. Shane
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet

3. Chinatown

4. The Deer Hunter
Amelie
The 400 Blows

6. The Killing
I'm running out of Kubrick films to see honestly, and this seems like the next logical step!
Spartacus

7. Rear Window

8. Vacancy
Sort of a weird addition to my list, but I really like Luke Wilson and I recently watched Kontroll so I kinda love Nimrod Antal now. I'll eventually see Armored and Predators (i've heard mixed things about both, I reeeally liked Kontroll).
It's a Wonderful Life

9. Sunset Blvd.
I really liked Double Indemnity and this movie is more highly acclaimed so why not?
American History X

10. Seven Samurai

Do your worst.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Jedrick, you get Dr. Strangelove because it's loving great don't ask questions. You should be building more Minecraft hotels, but I will excuse you.

I watched Sunset Blvd and it was pretty great. Gloria Swanson is loving perfect in this movie. One of the most flawless performances I've ever seen. The whole movie is absolute gold, really. All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up. Creeepy and brilliant. This film further cemented my love for Billy Wilder and noir in general.

~New List~

1. Shane
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet

3. Chinatown

4. The Deer Hunter
Amelie
The 400 Blows

6. The Killing
Spartacus

7. Rear Window

8. Vacancy
Sort of a weird addition to my list, but I really like Luke Wilson and I recently watched Kontroll so I kinda love Nimrod Antal now. I'll eventually see Armored and Predators (i've heard mixed things about both, I reeeally liked Kontroll).
It's a Wonderful Life

9. Lawrence of Arabia
I've just never had the urge to watch it. Pretty sure it'll be the next recommendation anyway...
Sunset Blvd.
American History X

10. Seven Samurai

HIT ME.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Skwirl, watch Raising Arizona! I held off on it despite my love of the Coens because of Nic Cage, but this movie made me love Cage like I'd never hated him in the first place. Enjoy!

I watched The Deer Hunter. Holy poo poo. I don't know what to say except for: I am moved. Great performances all around, amazing audio and visuals. I don't think I'll ever forget the sound of the Vietnamese guy during the final roulette scene as he loads the bullet, spins and barrel and snaps it into place. The tension right before an empty *click* was nerve wracking as hell. Also, this is the earliest Christopher Walken role I've ever seen and drat he was a good looking guy back in the day (Meryl Streep wasn't too bad either!). I also got really sad every time John Cazale was on screen. :(

Great loving movie, everyone go watch it.

~New List~

1. Shane
A classic western I haven't gotten around to, even though I love westerns.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet
I have never seen a David Lynch film that isn't Dune, but I'll probably love this at least.

3. Chinatown
I have little Polanski viewing experience and I've only recently gotten over a hatred for Jack Nicholson.

4. Heaven's Gate
After The Deer Hunter, I'm tempted to go through Cimino's filmography. I was going to put Thunderbolt and Lightfoot here, but Netflix doesn't have it! So I'll skip that and go right for one of the biggest failures in cinema...
The Deer Hunter
Amelie
The 400 Blows

5. Once Upon a Time in the West
This will be my Sergio Leone slot, as I adore the Leone I've seen and want to watch them all.

6. The Killing
One of the last few Kubrick films I haven't seen yet.
Spartacus

7. Rear Window
I'm limited on my Hitchcock viewing and this is his most highest rated movie on IMDB, so I'll start here.

8. Vacancy
After watching Kontroll on a whim I discovered I love Nimrod Antal. I also like Luke Wilson so I should've seen this by now.
It's a Wonderful Life

9. Lawrence of Arabia
I've never had the urge to watch it because I already know it's good. That's the worst excuse ever.
Sunset Blvd.
American History X

10. Seven Samurai
Kurosawa slot. Love what I've seen and want more.

Fuckin' A.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
marioinblack, there's so many on your list I want to choose (we have a lot in common too!) but I'm going to choose Braveheart for you. It's one of those movies that gets worse every time I see it, but I'll never forget how loving awesome it was the first time I saw it. It's straight up entertaining.

I watched Chinatown. I loved Nicholson's performance and so many other things. The cinematography, the score, Faye Dunaway, the general mood and noir feel of the film are all great things. I would love to take some time to study this in a film class. I loved it. Polanski's cameo as the "midget" with the knife was hilarious and awesome. Great suggestion!

I really like how I've got my list pretty much separated by directors whose filmographies I want to completely watch.

~New List~

1. Shane
A classic western I haven't gotten around to, even though I love westerns.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Se7en

2. Blue Velvet
I have never seen a David Lynch film that isn't Dune, but I'll probably love this at least.

3. Rosemary's Baby
I've never seen this, but heard great things. I love horror and Polanski, so why not.
Chinatown

4. Heaven's Gate
After The Deer Hunter, I'm tempted to go through Cimino's filmography. I was going to put Thunderbolt and Lightfoot here, but Netflix doesn't have it! So I'll skip that and go right for one of the biggest failures in cinema...
The Deer Hunter
Amelie
The 400 Blows

5. Once Upon a Time in the West
This will be my Sergio Leone slot, as I adore the Leone I've seen and want to watch them all.

6. The Killing
One of the last few Kubrick films I haven't seen yet.
Spartacus

7. Rear Window
I'm limited on my Hitchcock viewing and this is his most highest rated movie on IMDB, so I'll start here.

8. Vacancy
After watching Kontroll on a whim I discovered I love Nimrod Antal. I also like Luke Wilson so I should've seen this by now.
It's a Wonderful Life

9. Lawrence of Arabia
I've never had the urge to watch it because I already know it's good. That's the worst excuse ever.
Sunset Blvd.
American History X

10. Seven Samurai
Kurosawa slot. Love what I've seen and want more.

You're a very nosy fellow, kitty cat. Huh? You know what happens to nosy fellows? Huh? No? Wanna guess? Huh? No? Okay. They lose their noses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

The Lucas posted:

Guys, I don't wanna watch Breathless. It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.

Like you ever do anything productive anyway, The Lucas :jerkbag:

I'm going to watch Blue Velvet tomorrow after work, but I also polished off a couple other movies on my list in the meantime. I don't even care if it's cheating!