Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Arturo Ui you get City Lights because it's the bomb diggity and like under an hour and half so you got no excuse.

MINE:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Any Wong Kar-Wai No excuse.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Black Orpheus No excuse.

La Dolce Vita Loved 8 1/2, was all set to watch this, then I watched and hated La Strada so I gave up.

The Grand Illusion I even own the fucker and I haven't watched it yet.

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

Au Hazard Balthazar Another I own that I haven't gotten to, but like when are you in the mood for a movie like this

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm sure it's great, Scorcese's my boy. It just looks dopey.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Machine, you get Casablanca and you'd better love it.

Balthazar:

Devastating. Beautifully shot and crisply edited - except for a few too many of those Three Stooges "cut in the middle of the shot to really similar-but-not-exactly identical shot to show the passage of time." I hated Gerard as much as I've hated anyone in a movie - he's a particularly effective villain because he's so ordinary; just a plain, casually cruel, dough-faced kid. I wanted to smack him around because I've seen so many like him. Marie was heartbreaking in that uniquely French way, wearing an expression like falling leaves.

The ending was touching and weirdly hilarious in a sort of Herzog kind of a way. Reminded me of Aguirre with his monkeys or the dancing chicken in Stroszek.

Bresson ran dangerously close in the middle to completely alienating me with the unrelenting breadth of his cruelty. Until it all came together it seemed like he was destroying his characters just because he could which, I suspect, was kind of the point.

However, I could not stand most of the dialogue. Maybe it makes me a philistine, I don't know, but the kind of delivery they had reminded me of the lesser Bergman movies like Hour of the Wolf - nobody addresses one another, they look into the camera or off to the side and deliver abrupt, cryptic remarks without any sort of flow at all. It's passionless and distancing and needlessly anesthetizes the scenes. The two mothers were the only ones who I thought could pull it off - maybe because they had that weary sort of mom-wisdom going on.

Overall, though, a hell of a movie. Probably my new favorite of the French New Wave (does it count?).

New List:

Any Wong Kar-Wai No excuse.

Black Orpheus No excuse.

La Dolce Vita Loved 8 1/2, was all set to watch this, then I watched and hated La Strada so I gave up.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Is this your first Bresson? This was kind of his thing. It takes some getting used to, but after you do you can't imagine it any other way.

I saw Pickpocket a few years ago and didn't love it, partially because of that. I saw Diary of a Country Priest back in high school and loved it, so I guess my tastes have just changed. I have his Joan of Arc sitting on my to-watch pile.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

LesterGroans, I'm gonna throw a curve ball here and give you what's probably the least canonized movie on your list, but one of my longtime personal favorites: An American Werewolf in London. Enjoy!

In The Mood For Love Love love love love love love love love love. Beautiful. So many mirrors! Every shot moved so fluidly and the editing was so smooth, the whole middle hour basically felt like one long montage.

New List:

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

Black Orpheus No excuse.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 11, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh god why did I list a movie that's 174 minutes long? I have the attention span of a gnat. I max out at like 75 minutes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I always felt the same about Some Like It Hot. It's very uneven - but goddamn that's a great ending.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Hellbunny posted:

I'm pretty slow at this, but I finaly watched Taxi Driver . Awesome movie, DeNiro's awesome, and I'm having a fun time imagining Travis as being secretly gay, and channeling his frustration with his own sexuality into his vigilantism.

You better start talking sense.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What obvious reasons are there to avoid The Elephant Man?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Codyclarke, you get Night of the Hunter. Mitchum was a treasure.

La Dolce Vita was very good but like a loving hour too long. I didn't like it as much as 8 1/2 but that may just be movie nostalgia talking. That opening shot of Christ on the helicopter should've been in Bunuel.

And maybe it's the lady in me, but the Trevi fountain bit gave me goosebumps. Fellini was as self-centered as Hitchcock - so many of his movies were about Fellini (that's not a bad thing).

New List:

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Anatomy of a Murder Kind of an odd one for me to have missed considering I love Jimmy Stewart so much I once dug up his corpse and cuddled with it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I think I just came.

Dolce Vita's definitely worth watching, you might get more out of than I did. I feel like I'll like it more the second time, too.

I wish there was a way to keep track of who recommended what - I want to know what LesterGroans thought of American Werewolf in London ASAP.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

He's one of those directors who has such a specific set of interests and obsessions that if you don't share those interests, his movies are hard to get a handle on. It's why I can't really get into Bergman. Hitchcock was similar (which is why I mentioned him earlier), but luckily it's impossible to dislike Hitchcock.

EDIT: though it should be mentioned that the interests on display in 8 1/2 are literally loving bitches and getting money.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 17, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

toro913 posted:

penismightier watch Anatomy of a Murder. It's Jimmy Stewart for 2 and half hours.

Thanks b.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Holy poo poo, how'd I avoid An American Werewolf in London for so long? It's funny and scary at the same time. Griffin Dunne was great as Jack and David Naughton was a sympathetic lead. It was a perfect cult classic. The effects hit me just right, the music was hilarious. All-in-all it was a really solid horror.

This pleases me. Child murderer or not, John Landis can really bring it sometimes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Landis was just born into the wrong era. Michael Curtiz drowned like five guys and Cecil B. Demille once fired Victor Mature for refusing to wrestle a lion.

EDIT: Yo, how loving hot is Jenny Agutter in American Werewolf. When she comes out in his NYU t-shirt and nothing else, gotdamn

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 17, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That number 9 spot is a hot item for you.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Anatomy of a Murder

Man, what happened to the courtroom drama? We went from movies like this and 12 Angry Men to loving Erin Brockovich.

I didn't realize beforehand that George C. Scott was in it. As well as a typically stunning performance by Jimmy Stewart (recalling on a few occasions both his own performance in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and that of his friend Henry Fonda in Young Mr. Lincoln - easy charm and a willingness to break protocol and rant and rave in the middle of a trial), Scott plays against type - I guess because he didn't have a type yet - and puts in great work as a "big city lawyer." Scott's one of the unsung treasures of American cinema, and every time I see him I'm blown away by how good he is. Lee Remick is as beautiful as she is inscrutable. Joseph Welch, the man who took down McCarthy, is terrific as well, one of the most realistic and charming judges in film. Duke Ellington's score is terrific - that man could loving play.

I also really appreciated how the defendant was kind of a prick, and probably should have been arrested. Not a lot of movies have the balls to put you on the wrong side.

I have basically nothing bad to say about this movie. The two hours and forty five minutes flew by, and the lack of flashbacks was goddamn inspired.

VorpalBunny, hit up Paths of Glory. For my money, it's Kubrick's best.

New List:

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Ben Hur Either version. Pick a version.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Also you should watch Liberty Valance yourself.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MHB: You get the Hitchcock double feature! Notorious is elegant as gently caress and 39 Steps is about as much fun as you can have with a movie. EDIT: OR if you're feeling ballsy you can swap The 39 Steps out for the similar but for my money a little better The Lady Vanishes

The Grand Illusion I should have watched this years ago. Stroheim is inimitable - that neck brace and stare are unsettling, but those little moments like that apology after the escape attempt paint a hell of a picture - maybe just the rich helping the rich, but there's a great deal of humanity all the same.

It wasn't really what I was expecting - I was gearing up for something a lot more somber and humorless. Moreso - MUCH moreso, if you ask me - than The Rules of the Game, Renior creates some wonderful, touching characters and some incredibly human moments - like when they all stop and stare at the man in drag or when they sing La Marseillaise (which just had to be an inspiration for that scene in Casablanca).

I got two on the same page. I'm loving flying here.

New List:

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Ben Hur Either version. Pick a version.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion

penismightier fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 20, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm surprised it hasn't been picked yet - as far as I've heard it's like the best movie on my list.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

OH MY GOD BEN HUR IS SO LONG

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm just going to pretend it's in Planet of the Apes continuity.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Admiral Goodenough, just out of curiosity, why is your list only horror movies?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Godfather Part 3 is poop, yo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Doug, you got Alien. The first two are considered absolute classics by everyone ever. Ever

Ben Hur This was the movie I was the most skeptical of. I hate just about every piece of media about Rome and to be honest Jesus kind of creeps me out. A glossy 4 hour epic about Rome and the glory of god sounds pretty hellacious. Turns out I was wrong - this is quite a movie. It was a bit overripe - the last twenty minutes felt longer than the first 3 hours - but for the most part it really enjoyable. The famous naval battle and chariot chase didn't disappoint, still exciting after seeing them dissected and copied and deconstructed my whole life. The camerawork was terrific, the characters were sharply drawn. Smart and fun and genuinely epic.

Also, the music was terrific. Parts just had to be an inspiration on Morricone's Dollars soundtrack.

New List:

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Gone with the Wind I've seen a good half hour of it. It wasn't bad.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur

penismightier fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 25, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

meanmikhail posted:

Just watched The Great Dictator, my first Chaplin film. I thought it was hilarious and touching at the same time. I was taken out of it for a second when I saw the treatment they got in the concentration camp, but then I remembered that the general public didn't know the full extent of the Nazi's crimes (and read that Chaplin wouldn't have made the movie had he known). It's a great movie at any rate.

I hope you watch others. I adore Chaplin, and I think The Great Dictator is the weakest of his major works. You should be sure to check out one of silent ones like The Gold Rush or City Lights. It's almost cliche to point to those two, but they're really incredible films. The pantomime lends them a kind of purpose and purity that's missing from his sound work.

Also, I will never forgive you for picking Gone with the Wind right after I watched Ben-Hur. That's like 8 hours of movie right there.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Arturo Ui, you have a hard list to pick from, a lot of classics on it. Watch The Grapes of Wrath.

Gone with the Wind It took me a little while to get into it, but man when it got going it was great. The elegance of Rebecca, the romance of Casablanca. Rhett is absolutely the basis for Han Solo. Mammy was terrific, Melanie and Ashley were surprisingly captivating. And that Rhett. Fuuuuuck he was awesome.

I was worried it was fall off after the burning of Atlanta, but I actually found the second half even more captivating than the action-packed first part.

New List:

Black Orpheus No excuse.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm really bothered that I haven't gotten you yet. I want to know what you make of Napoleon.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

The Searchers is also worth a look, but you might find the racism of it a bit off-putting.

Well, keep in mind that it's a movie ABOUT racism. You're not supposed to be with John Wayne the whole time, or even with the rest of the Texicans (it's Laurie, the proper and beautiful young blonde woman who has the most shocking and vile racist statement in the film). The real hero and moral center of the movie, after all, is Marty the half-Indian sidekick. People forget that.

HOWEVER it really really really shouldn't be the first John Ford movie anybody sees. It's kind of a capstone on what he was about. Better to start with Stagecoach or Clementine or Wagon Master or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, it's kind of an overwhelming movie. Physically it's one of the most beautiful in the history of the art, and the characters are all outwardly so goofy and charming but the more you examine them the more horrible and twisted they all seem.

I think Look is the best example. It gets you laughing at how ridiculous and fat she is until she dies, and you're left reeling at how terribly you thought of her, and because we're hearing her story secondhand (third, really) through Laurie and her family who don't care because they don't consider her human, we have nobody in the film with the same emotional response as us the audience.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Throw on that Wagon Master commentary if you get a chance. Harry Carey Jr and Peter Bogdanovich bullshitting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Skwirl, give Paris, Texas a spin. Be prepared to get into a big slide-guitar phase for the rest of the month.

Black Orpheus Gorgeous - the colors, the women, the music. I was really surprised at the caliber of the acting, especially from the children. Really terrific performances all around - when Zeca's sneaking out of the house he accidentally plucks the guitar and makes this great face that may actually be the best bit of acting I've seen from a child. The scene where they see Death for the first time was surprisingly creepy. Orpheus was cool as hell (when he wasn't being a dick) and Eurydice was stunning, but I felt pretty bad for Mira the whole time. She was kind of an rear end but that doesn't mean she should get kicked around like that. Also, that giant staple is a horrifying weapon.

New List:

Midnight Cowboy I have this weird relationship with this movie where I'm dying to see it but completely forget about it every time I want to watch something.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

For the love of god somebody make tokillthesunflower watch The Grapes of Wrath.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

23?! :wth:

Someone needs to get him a giftcard or something.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

VorpalBunny, you haven't watched Paths of Glory yet? You fucker.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Just watch it, you bastard. You could've squeezed it in between your last two posts in this thread. WATCH IT. WATCH ITTTTTTTTTTT

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

gently caress, I really gotta get around to The Departed.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yo Peaceful Anarchy, swap TMP out for The Wrath of Khan. You can thank me later.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

You'll be fine. All you need to know going in is that Captain Kirk got promoted to Admiral and doesn't like the deskwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy, obviously I want to give you Wrath of Khan, but I'm afraid nobody else will assign Die Nibelungen so get up on that one.

The Departed - I, uh, didn't like it. Great cast, terrific editing (probably the best editing I've seen in years, actually) but it just felt... doofy? The Boston accents were hard to take seriously, the pace was awkward, and I hated HATED Jack Nicholson in it. Ah well.

New List:

Midnight Cowboy I have this weird relationship with this movie where I'm dying to see it but completely forget about it every time I want to watch something.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed