Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Click here for the full 525x744 image.

Triangle (2009)

The story revolves around the passengers of a yachting trip in the Atlantic Ocean who, when struck by mysterious weather conditions, jump to another ship only to experience greater havoc on the open seas.

I'm not sure if this even got a release in the US, it was pretty much straight to DVD in the UK.

Triangle starts off as your typical slasher poo poo-fest. A group of friends go out on a sailing trip to get killed but events quickly take a stark and surreal turn. You'll be scatching your head after 30 minutes thinking 'what now?'. All but one of the cast are dead.
Not much to say without spoiling it, if you like proper suspenseful horror's with plenty of twists give it a watch.

Pros: Intelligent and original horror, would be an instant classic with a decent release. Melissa George.
Cons: A few 'why doesn't she just..' moments but there's enough vague clues to give you an answer if you pay attention.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This was one of the most surprising and original films I've seen in a long time, and I recommend it every chance I get. I expected a corny slasher that I could pass the time by not watching, but I got a spellbinding sci-fi horror that is extremely well constructed and intelligent. Didn't see it coming, and each concurrent twist was equally as mind-bending.

5/5

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Seriously can't stress the two opinions above enough. It's hard to explain the level of craft in this movie, but it's very complicated while being very elegant at the same time.

Once the descent starts, its pretty scary, a little typical and very strange. It's really impossible to describe it without spoiling it but it's a really clever movie that hits every note of weirdness and confusion that a good horror movie should have. There are some truly grotesque scenes that really stress the enormity of the enigma, the futility of it and just how brutal it is.

The subtext is a little hard to darn out, but again, there is nothing ham-fisted about this flick. The proper references are made to guide us down avenues on getting ahold of the themes, and the middle bulk of the movie is an excellent way of showing us the puzzle as both we see it, the main protagonist sees it, and the way we are both coming to terms with it happening.

And, to top it off, the movies concern with perpetual/cyclical horror gives us an extremely entertaining and powerful ending. I'd dare say i've rarely seen such seamless threading from start to finish; it might be hyperboyle, but the editing, combined with arching thematics that are revealed in such a precise way reminds me of a Nolan flick.

Also, besides the engine rooms in the ship which have some grating and confining lighting, the camera work is pretty stellar.

5/5 for sure, heaps better than more recent horror flicks.

King Lur
Jan 1, 2009
Really enjoyed this one. Randomly watched it after glancing at this thread and seeing that it was on instant Netflix. Like everyone else has said, very interesting concept and fantastic execution. Keeps you thinking and lots of "WTF" moments, like the red-head chick finding dozens of her dead bodies on the top deck. Ended it perfectly too, I was worried it might have been lame but it couldn't have been better.

4.5/5

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
This movie, like most movies involving time loops and causality, didn't make much sense to me. You would think that after the 500th loop, the characters would realize that whatever plan they come up with is only going to result in the sequence being repeated again. Why not just stop trying and sit still?

There are more than a few situations that don't really add up. For instance, in one scene, the main character is cornered by a future version of herself that wields a gun. The future woman hesitates to pull the trigger, and the present one is able to knock the gun away and escape. Okay, fine. But later on, once the present woman has become the future one trying to kill her past self, the same event is repeated. Doesn't she remember that the gun gets knocked away if she hesitates? The characters seem to act at the plot's convenience.

Nevertheless, this movie is a pleasant surprise in a world where "horror" mostly consists of minor modifications to the Friday the 13th screenplay. It almost starts out that way. I was rolling my eyes for the first half hour or so. After that, I was sitting up in my seat trying to figure it all out. By the end, I was really hoping that they would pull it off and it would all make sense. Not quite, but the ride was enjoyable.

4/5

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Probably didn't help that I saw Timecrimes shortly before this movie, which shares a common conceit and is imo superior in writing, production values, and execution. That said, it's still an engaging and entertaining film on its own merits, just not as accomplished as some other similar movies.

3.5/5

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Brilliant movie. There are two things that I didn't like though:
1) The movie doesn't show the current version of Jess turn into the more determined version(s) of Jess, like the one stabbing the couple after luring them into a room. But that is probably the version of Jess after she saw her son die in the car accident.
2) Why didn't she try to cooperate with her other versions?

The story should have been crafted better to prevent the weaknesses mentioned in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulak
Nov 29, 2005
Overall a good movie worth watching. As some of the others have mentioned there are a few moments where it seems as if the main characters has some choices that she doesn't take, but once you finish watching you do realize that she did not have those choices to begin with.

Most disappointing was that we don't see the final result, we only see the appearance of the "latest" Jess once (the bleeding one), and at that time, we consider her to be the future, but watching the movie, that future is never shown to the audience.

4/5. not a 5/5 due to an "inconclusive" feeling.