Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hinky
Mar 16, 2008

Christmas Poo
IMDb

Directed by: Mike Newell
Starring: Jake Gyllenhall, Gemma Arterton

I played the original Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time game on the Xbox and it was one of the only single player games that I actually enjoyed. When I heard that they were making a movie about the game, I wasn't so sure what to think about it since not all video games make great movies.

The movie itself completely butchered the game and did not follow the storyline one bit. However to my surprise, this movie actually kept me entertained and I was very happy by the time I left the theater. I loved the stunts and loved the action scenes. The storyline, although it does not follow the game, kept me interested and I can understand why it needed to be changed to make into a movie. This is a movie I would see again.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

The plot was decent enough, although it didn't follow the game plot (probably a good thing). I quite enjoyed the character of the ostrich racing guy. But I have to talk about the dialogue because it is bad. I should have kept count because it was almost like a game as to how many times they could namedrop the title of the movie by saying either "Prince of Persia" or "Sands of Time" every other sentence. The action scenes were decent enough, but the parkour segments were a little fake looking (the collapsing sand room at the end is all kinds of wacky CGI). A minor complaint is that everyone has an accent yet none of the accents are Persian or middle eastern for the most part.

The last complaint is really petty but I honestly couldn't tell you what anybodies names were because everyone pronounced them differently.

3/5

As a side note, for some reason the acid robe of death scene in the beginning part of the movie both surprised me and disturbed the hell out of me. It was probably one of the most disturbing feelings of dread I've gotten from a movie recently and I did not enjoy it at all. Of course, I doubt anyone else would feel the same way.

Xinlum fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 17, 2010

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
This movie felt forced from start to finish. There were so many action scenes that I became desensitized and lost track of what was going on. None of the characters were sympathetic or interesting, and the outlandish plot, impossible stunts, ridiculous setting, and inauthentic atmosphere and acting caused this movie to cross some kind of threshold past which it simply couldn't hold my attention. I frequently watch B movies all the way through at home, yet I was so bored with this movie that I actually left about an hour in. I don't even care enough to look up how it ends.

1/5

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I don't know anything about the game at all. That said, they still butchered it somehow. The relationship between the prince and princess is completely forced because the entire movie consists of him doing something heroic and her :swoon:ing. Movies involving time travel are always a little iffy since they need to make up arbitrary rules and stick to them. I was alright with the story until they just sort of... throw those rules to the wind.

The city is pretty though, which is the only pro I can think of.

2/5

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
That was $200 million in CG? Where did it all go?

Its not the worst popcorn flick I have seen, but seemed to straddle the "straight to DVD" line.

3/5