Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Thanks guys. I like the idea of a bigger translucent tank, good call. But I'd def want to put the plastics around the rear section back, especially to hide that monstrosity of a muffler. Does everyone just run with that ugly stock one, or is there something that looks better but not "my neighbors will murder me" noisy?

e: And if I run without the radiator fairing, will it have cooling issues?

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
The plastics on my bike are completely thrashed, but it runs like a champ--these things are really built to take some serious abuse and keep chugging along.

I did however, recently pick up new, matching 08+ fairings and a windshield from someone parting out their bike, and I only paid 125 shipped for everything. Plastics can be had for cheap, you just gotta be patient and browse the klr forums classifIeds.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
My radiator fairing rattled off around 4k miles back and I didn't really notice any temp changes. It gets hot, but it always runs hot, you know?

I don't know about this forum but on ADVRider the consensus is that the stock muffler is as good as you're going to get WRT output. I think I remember seeing somebody who put on a two brothers and got their bike dyno'ed and they saw almost no positive differences from stock until they put in a new jet kit.

for sale fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 19, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

oh hay guys.

Picked up this almost mint 06' with 10,000 on it.

Plans: Doohickey, and try and source a stock front fairing/bracket/headlight. ugh.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

oh hay guys.

Picked up this almost mint 06' with 10,000 on it.

Plans: Doohickey, and try and source a stock front fairing/bracket/headlight. ugh.
Yessss. Stealth black, destickered, same as mine. Taken it offroad yet? I've found that they're a bit more capable than I thought before buying one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its gonna get wheeled this weekend. Its a whole lotta fun to beat around the city in.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Its gonna get wheeled this weekend. Its a whole lotta fun to beat around the city in.
Yeah, I think they're great commuters. I'm comfy and can see over most cars.

Did some exploring today. I don't like how the temp stays about 3/4 hot when I'm just crawling around on trails. I'll probably do the "thermo mod" or "thermobob" or whatever the hell everyone calls it. Also I need to get some enduro gear, my street gear is way too stuffy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
6 days in and I've put 500 mi on mine already.

I need to get non-plastic skids and some thicker inner tubes. rear one got pinched and punctured it.

Overall I think it does alright offroad. I like the heft personally.

It sucks rear end on loose gravel, but that might be my tires. Bashed the skid up pretty good on bouncing around on fairly large rocks.

I had quick installed a hid offroad light to last me the weekend, I yanked the fucker off when it would do little more than just bounce around.
I have some better lights and other goodies coming this week.

Nobody in mormontown was open to fix the tire, so I patched the tube in an autozone parkinglot.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Nice job on the field patch, sucks that it was necessary though. What tires do you have on yours?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
kenda k270s Ehhhhh poo poo happens and it was sorta my fault. I probably ran a bit too low in pressure.

I've ordered betterish tubes. we'll see how those do.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Supradog posted:

Just spotted this beauty on the local market.

Anything special about the tengai version? Any KLR is pretty drat rare over here.

That is super cool but I would probably never take it offroad, those fairings are probably made out of 100% unobtanium nowadays.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
What battery does CA Hivemind recommend for my '03 KLR 650?

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

Stitecin posted:

What battery does CA Hivemind recommend for my '03 KLR 650?

http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=977 is what I have in my '05 but batteries seriously aren't rocket surgery. Unless you're about to go on one insane journey don't nitpick too much and just pick up whatever fits.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've got to drive down to Miami (and back, ugh) tomorrow, thinking about taking a look at this 1990 KLR on the way. Any issues associated with the earlier ones, or just things I should look out for with an older KLR?

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've got to drive down to Miami (and back, ugh) tomorrow, thinking about taking a look at this 1990 KLR on the way. Any issues associated with the earlier ones, or just things I should look out for with an older KLR?

If you've ever owned a KLR before there's nothing new or special I don't think. If not, the only widely considered must-do mod is the doohickey, which is the balancer chain adjustor spring... thing. All years and models have problems with this part and there's a whole bunch of aftermarket replacements available. If he hasn't done it I'd be shocked considering the age. Other than that, KLR's have problems with heating the entire engine to a consistent working temperature when driven in coldish weather. Like, northwest spring and fall cold. It's by no means the end of the world and they all do it, but as they rack up km's KLR's tend to burn more and more oil so ask how much it burns. At that age and probably really high kms considering how KLRs get driven into the ground if he says it doesn't burn any he's loving lying.

For the '90 year in particular, they changed some poo poo in the crank case, but there aren't any special issues and since its older than a '96 it'll probably maybe have a kickstart as well as an electric start.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mirrors posted:

If not, the only widely considered must-do mod is the doohickey, which is the balancer chain adjustor spring...

Speaking of the devil, I'm lumping this in with the 12K service on mine.

won a wrench and puller tonight on ebay for $25.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Mirrors posted:

If you've ever owned a KLR before there's nothing new or special I don't think. If not, the only widely considered must-do mod is the doohickey, which is the balancer chain adjustor spring... thing. All years and models have problems with this part and there's a whole bunch of aftermarket replacements available. If he hasn't done it I'd be shocked considering the age. Other than that, KLR's have problems with heating the entire engine to a consistent working temperature when driven in coldish weather. Like, northwest spring and fall cold. It's by no means the end of the world and they all do it, but as they rack up km's KLR's tend to burn more and more oil so ask how much it burns. At that age and probably really high kms considering how KLRs get driven into the ground if he says it doesn't burn any he's loving lying.

For the '90 year in particular, they changed some poo poo in the crank case, but there aren't any special issues and since its older than a '96 it'll probably maybe have a kickstart as well as an electric start.

The only KLR that had kickstart was the 600.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Thinking about buying a KLR for motocamping around New England next summer. Looking at used ads. Came across this:

"White Trash Superstar"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You *need* to buy that thing. its awesome.

doo tools!

Popped my cover off outta curiosity before I decided to drop 50 bucks on the eagle mike kit.

Found my phantom rattle. Tensioner spring is broken.

I seriously need to go hit the slots.

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
SO FULL OF HATE! Or is that hunger? DAMMIT! I can never tell the difference. Oh well, I'll just go kill some classmates I don't like, and if I don't feel better, I'll eat something.
Hey guys, cross posting this from the "post good used bike ads in your area" thread. I used to ride a little bit, but never got that into it, and wound up selling my bike. I always found myself wishing that my sv-650 could go more places than it could, and I think the KLR650 might be perfect. I also love the way it feels, as I'm pretty tall myself.

I was wondering if you all thought this was a good deal:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4722561560.html

I saw it today, the "custom suspension" he mentions is from these guys: http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/index.html

And he's not kidding about having a crazy number of spare parts either. Doohickey done, no mods to the air/fuel delivery system. Miles seem kind of high, but this guy seems to take fantastic care of it, and has extensive records.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
This would be way cooler: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4728199237.html

Edit: Looks like a sorted KLR, and the price is pretty reasonable for what he's got, but it's fall so you may be able to low ball him a bit. The transalp is cheaper, makes more power, less prone to vibrating bolts lose, and the hard bags are more valuable than those wolfman's. The transalp has really good road charastics, I've felt that the stock brakes and suspension of the KLR were lacking. Even an "overhauled" suspension on that KLR won't be as adjustable as the KTM forks on the transalp.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 2, 2014

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
SO FULL OF HATE! Or is that hunger? DAMMIT! I can never tell the difference. Oh well, I'll just go kill some classmates I don't like, and if I don't feel better, I'll eat something.
That thing looks totally awesome, honestly. What is parts availability going to be like for something like that? And should I be worried about any of the mods done to it?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Plastics are unobtanium, but the engine is basicly just a bored and stroked Ascot engine, so parts aren't plentiful but they're there if you need them, CDIs are it's weak spot and they run about 80 ea and have a limited lifespan (most guys carry a spare on long trips). Wear parts like brakes, clutch, cables etc are all easy to get if you need a piston head, plastics, or a seat might be a bit harder to source but it comes with those spares. I've been looking at it and telling myself I don't need a second dual sport :)

Mod wise it's setup more for offroad riding, so I'd expect the suspension to be a little odder for street riding but those things had such good ergonomics to begin with it shouldn't be too much of a problem. My guess is that the gauges were dying or that headlight fairing took a hit, a replacement couldn't be found so they did the rally conversion.

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
Hah, I think it's gone. I emailed and got no response yesterday evening, and now it's showing as deleted. Bummer! I was pretty much sold on it pending a test ride.

Edit: I'm not in a huge hurry to buy or anything, seeing as how it is fall. Do you think that if I hang around and observe Craigslist with the right search terms, it's possible that another cool dual sport deal will come around?

trebuchet_tom fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 2, 2014

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The good ones are on advrider.com

Register to see the flea market classifieds.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I feel like the prices have gotten pretty high on adv, but they do have a great selection and lots of options for fly and ride. Odds are good that in co another will come around.

Here's a Gas Gas FSE 450 (about the same weight as a DRZ, little more power) with full ohlins suspension and sumo setup. Swap on some dirt wheels and you'd have a hell of a solid ride. http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcy/4710390440.html oh yeah it's also 1700

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

trebuchet_tom posted:

I'm not in a huge hurry to buy or anything, seeing as how it is fall. Do you think that if I hang around and observe Craigslist with the right search terms, it's possible that another cool dual sport deal will come around?
Always.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Spur of the moment I checked ebay and found one within 3 hours of me, and brought it home. While ebay sucks rear end, its still a thing to consider.

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
Thanks for taking the time to show me these. Do you know how the road manners on those sized motorcycles are compared to a 600-700cc dual sport? I've read both good and bad, and never know who to believe.

Edit: Good tips about ebay and advrider too, I signed up over at advrider, and have added ebay to my search cycle. I think I'll keep looking for a little while. It seems like I'll always be able to get a solid klr for an ok price around here with a little patience.

trebuchet_tom fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 3, 2014

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
They're lighter and some people experience a "sail" effect when in crosswinds but I've never found it to be too pronounced. I prefer bikes without windscreens though, a FSE450 is quite an excellent bike for anything other than extended highway slab, the DRZ motor is smoother than it and better suited to longer journeys but the Gas Gas is powerful and the suspension is great, the main reason I brought that up is because it's 1700, a DRZsm will often cost double on the used market simply because others are looking for it and it's a known and popular bike. If this guy were sharp he'd have the words DRZ SM supermoto all over his ad.

That this is basically a dirt bike with some street tires on it though, it's going to ride much more lie a dirt bike, buzzy, peakier power, and a seat that will attempt to split you in half. Would likely make for the most fun commute in the world if lane splitting were legal here.

Compared to a 650 it'll be much lighter, turn and lean in quicker and be much more focused on technical terrain than a 650 which is really more at home blasting down a wide open dirt road than picking lines through rocky 4x4 trails.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trebuchet_tom
Dec 17, 2003
Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense. I originally looked at DRZs, but was turned off by their more trail oriented nature and price. A somewhat specialized off road bike is way more within my means at that price. I think I'll get in touch with the seller to chat about it, at least.

• Locked thread