Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Fantastipotamus posted:

Jabs, how's the tire pressure in your front tire? Having high pressure (above 15psi) can take away pretty significantly from the offroad stability. My KLR felt like I was riding on marbles until I realized my front PSI was upwards of 30 (yeah).

Also, some surfaces are just unfriendly, like loose, dry sand, whereas others are almost tar (packed dirt). Beyond that, it just takes practice, you cant expect it to feel like tar because it's not, the bikes going to move around a bit, but it'll come back most of the time..

I'll just mention that you can get LOADS more life out of your tires if you do run at a higher pressure in the dirt. I keep my tires pretty high (35-40psi) unless I'm in loose stuff like sand or mud. Airing the tires down will provide loads more confidence though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

PlasticSun posted:

I'll just mention that you can get LOADS more life out of your tires if you do run at a higher pressure in the dirt. I keep my tires pretty high (35-40psi) unless I'm in loose stuff like sand or mud. Airing the tires down will provide loads more confidence though.
That makes sense.. Are you more prone to punctures running high psi like that though?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Fantastipotamus posted:

That makes sense.. Are you more prone to punctures running high psi like that though?

If anything I seem to get far fewer, when I'm running low pressures I seem more prone to rim damage and pinch flats.

Edit, keep in mind though that when riding 2 up with full luggage, gear and fully fueled I've got close to 900 lbs worth of bike, gear and riders on those tires.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, I'd think you'd be causing yourself some issues running low psi with that much weight on it.

I went out for an 80+ mile 'Family Circus'-style, directionless, mostly-backroad walkabout today, and somewhere during that adventure, I lost my license plate. Bike inspections are due the end of this month too, so hopefully I can get that taken care of quickly enough. Never even thought to check those little plastic screws holding my plate on, either.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Loctite's what keeps these bikes from destroying themselves.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qg4kIdEAQ

:smug:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Fantastipotamus posted:

Jabs, how's the tire pressure in your front tire? Having high pressure (above 15psi) can take away pretty significantly from the offroad stability. My KLR felt like I was riding on marbles until I realized my front PSI was upwards of 30 (yeah).

Also, some surfaces are just unfriendly, like loose, dry sand, whereas others are almost tar (packed dirt). Beyond that, it just takes practice, you cant expect it to feel like tar because it's not, the bikes going to move around a bit, but it'll come back most of the time..
21/30 as of this morning. 99% of the time so far I'm commuting, which is 17 miles of suburbia, followed by 10 miles of 65-70 MPH - so for that, I'm looking at keeping the pressures higher to prevent the 'high speed wandering wobble' that I posted about in my Memorial Day Madness thread - especially on the grooved concrete sections (where it wander-wobbles, *and* tramlines, making it difficult to stay relaxed on the bars).

At the same time, I'm living on the edge of suburbia, where it gives way to 'urban rural' - the land of farms dotted with tracts of large custom houses sitting on 2 acre lots - so I've got lots of roads that are comparable in quality to what Fantastipotimus has in his video available.

Are the Kenda K761s I have on the bike adequate for that? I imagine they are, and that I'm definitely the weak link in that chain - I mean, the road I was on was your typical graded dirt road. Nothing special.

e: One of the reviews I read recently had a shootout of one-each of sport, cruiser, dual-sport, standard, etc. They described the KLR as a wheelie machine. =)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 28, 2010

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jabs posted:

21/30 as of this morning. 99% of the time so far I'm commuting, which is 17 miles of suburbia, followed by 10 miles of 65-70 MPH - so for that, I'm looking at keeping the pressures higher to prevent the 'high speed wandering wobble' that I posted about in my Memorial Day Madness thread - especially on the grooved concrete sections (where it wander-wobbles, *and* tramlines, making it difficult to stay relaxed on the bars).

At the same time, I'm living on the edge of suburbia, where it gives way to 'urban rural' - the land of farms dotted with tracts of large custom houses sitting on 2 acre lots - so I've got lots of roads that are comparable in quality to what Fantastipotimus has in his video available.

Are the Kenda K761s I have on the bike adequate for that? I imagine they are, and that I'm definitely the weak link in that chain - I mean, the road I was on was your typical graded dirt road. Nothing special.

e: One of the reviews I read recently had a shootout of one-each of sport, cruiser, dual-sport, standard, etc. They described the KLR as a wheelie machine. =)

Yeah you don't need anything fancy for that type of travel just confidence. Go out with some advriders sometime or if you're around next weekend we could take a 4 hour round trip ride down to 4 mile or something focusing on staying on the dirt. I expect a lot of the wobble you're getting is from body position and suspension setup. Also keep in mind that the KLR stock spring is sprung for a 150lb dude.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 28, 2010

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Fantastipotamus posted:

I wish my flip video camera would mount up to my helmet or something, the handlebars are rather shaky. Also, Windows Movie Maker is a buggy piece of poo poo.. kept booting me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1BBCuU-kd4

I know this is from a while back but I think if you mouted it right in front of your face looking out through the visor with the lens just up over the chin bar of the helmet you'd get pretty stable video and protect the camera from wind, rocks, and rain. Plus you'd be able to monologe while riding :words:.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jabs posted:

On what freakin' asteroid? :crossarms:

(Seriously I didn't know you could wheelie one. Jumps, sure, but..)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Jabs posted:

Well, sounds like it could be partly your tires, based on this (http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65302) which was the first link on google when I checked for those tires. Here's the thing, on a road like that, if it's as packed as it looks, you should be able to do 30mph-40mph pretty easily, but I have Kenda K270's on there. My 270's do a great job with everything except the most lose of sand/dirt stuff. My video is super lovely and sped up, but there were a few areas where I slowed down considerably, but on everything except that, I'm cruising at 30-35mph.

However, I don't see much of an option for you, since you have a decent stint of high-speed stuff in there. Maybe wait until those tires kick it and get something else, as it sounds like it could be your issue (coupled with tire pressure).

edit: maybe in a perfect world, get a second set of wheels with more offroad oriented tires for the weekend?

PlasticSun posted:

I know this is from a while back but I think if you mouted it right in front of your face looking out through the visor with the lens just up over the chin bar of the helmet you'd get pretty stable video and protect the camera from wind, rocks, and rain. Plus you'd be able to monologe while riding :words:.
Yeah, the problem I see with the flip video is the size of it, as I'm not sure if I can mount it like that and still access the start/stop button on the back of it. I don't know, I have to figure something else out. I may try to see if I can get a stable setup on the brim of my helmet.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

KLR gangs are the best gangs.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

AncientTV posted:

KLR gangs are the best gangs.

Another spotting at 4:05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etl9kkIGaHo

Apparently KLRs are popular with some folks in New York because of the Caribbean influence; cheap dual sports are common bikes there and have their own stunter following. The more you know.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 29, 2010

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
hung out with this chick in colorado this weekend

she can ride this KLR like it was a trials bike

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Another spotting at 4:05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etl9kkIGaHo

Apparently KLRs are popular with some folks in New York because of the Caribbean influence; cheap dual sports are common bikes there and have their own stunter following. The more you know.

A KLR seems like the perfect city/stuntin' bike. Curbs, potholes, medians, stairs - are all just minor bumps on a dual sport. I am kinda impressed by their wheelie finesse though. The pig isn't exactly blessed with torque - I can only get a clutch-less wheel up with extreme effort (or uphill). I guess I need to start standing on the toolbag.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Armacham posted:

hung out with this chick in colorado this weekend

she can ride this KLR like it was a trials bike

Keeper.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Our police in the city only have some Honda 4-wheelers. I think they need some of these:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Even the cops are clearing out the dual star catalog

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Darth Llama posted:

Our police in the city only have some Honda 4-wheelers. I think they need some of these:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Right click -> Set as Desktop Background.
It's even the right size for my work monitor. Lots of good gear ideas in that pic.

In other news, I've mostly decided to strip and repaint the bike from 'Rattle Can Red' to something black with a skull and crossbone theme, with the license plate 'KL ARR'.

Although, I just went to the DOR website and see that they have a personalized "Be an Organ and Tissue Donor" license plate that has hilarious potential ("NOT ME"), and also a "Kid's First" plate (which is just begging for the old "EAT THE" trick.)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I want a gun rack on my bike. I now have the urge to a state where that would be legal.

No I didn't notice the M4 at first. That is so awesome.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I got some new to me soft bags to hang from my KLR, unfortunately they come too close to the exhaust when I put them on far back enough to carry a passenger with legs.

Not my picture or bike or bags. My bags are bigger and I want to put them way back.
I tried getting the heat shield off the muffler and stripped one of the screws in the process. The plan is to put a fatter and further away from the exhaust heat shield up in there. My only fear is that it might be too much stress for the exhaust to have a heavy bag hanging on it. Maybe I should build a support that's hanging from the frame itself, not the exhaust. Like this
or
Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

Anyone got any experience in this sort of thing?

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

redscare posted:

Even the cops are clearing out the dual star catalog

Here's another angle:

The site isn't very inspiring, but there are 2 more here:
http://www.fremontmotorsports.com/Photo_AlbumView.aspx?Album=13

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I see these guys every single day. Mostly they hang out in front of Autozone and set off car alarms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw92YT1ewZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qg4kIdEAQ&feature=related

It's completely ruined the KLR for me and probably everyone else in Brooklyn. Which is sad because my dad owned one a few years back and it seemed like a fun bike.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

niethan posted:

Anyone got any experience in this sort of thing?
I have experience with saying 'eh, it'll be fine' and melting a hole in my plastics. :(

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

sklnd posted:

I have experience with saying 'eh, it'll be fine' and melting a hole in my plastics. :(

You need the support not because the muffler can't take it, because it can, but because you will melt your poo poo like female undergarments when you roll by on your hoochie-whirl or whatever the gently caress the KLR is called in Brooklyn.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

so I attempted this today and after a few hours of work, the bitch was still leaking, so I guess I get to order the parts and try again :doh:

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

sklnd posted:

This has also been my experience. I propped the bags away from the exposed bit of the pipe but it doesn't take much to push the plastic too close to the exhaust it is covering.

Thank goodness for red duct tape. Good as new!

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

eggyolk posted:

I see these guys every single day. Mostly they hang out in front of Autozone and set off car alarms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw92YT1ewZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Qg4kIdEAQ&feature=related

It's completely ruined the KLR for me and probably everyone else in Brooklyn. Which is sad because my dad owned one a few years back and it seemed like a fun bike.

My main riding buddy has a KLR and I always make fun of him for having a white-people bike (a-la stuffwhitepeoplike.com)

I saw those videos and took it all back. KLRs in the hood... Who knew? :iiam:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I am a dumb person and set off on a 1600 mile trip without checking my bikes air filter. I got pretty poor mileage on day 1 yesterday (upper 40s doing 75-80 pretty much the entire time), so today I pulled the air filter and it fell apart in my hand. Also there was a 2"x1" missing section in it. I assume my KLR was burning foam along with its regular diet of regular unleaded.

Any suggestions on replacement filters?

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

sklnd posted:

I am a dumb person and set off on a 1600 mile trip without checking my bikes air filter. I got pretty poor mileage on day 1 yesterday (upper 40s doing 75-80 pretty much the entire time), so today I pulled the air filter and it fell apart in my hand. Also there was a 2"x1" missing section in it. I assume my KLR was burning foam along with its regular diet of regular unleaded.

Any suggestions on replacement filters?

This made me realize I've never even looked at mine, so I don't have good recommendations. But here is an adv thread addressing K&N filters as well as stock.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421729

They mention a paper/pleated version. Has anyone seen these? I thought they were all foam. . . I would assume the paper ones couldn't be reused like the foam ones. That said, if you're burning them for fuel anyway, maybe paper is the way to go. ;)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're not gonna get a new OEM filter (and take care of it!), I've seen the UNI filter get good press from the forums, but I think you might need to rejet, even for that.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Phy posted:

If you're not gonna get a new OEM filter (and take care of it!), I've seen the UNI filter get good press from the forums, but I think you might need to rejet, even for that.

i have the uni and I don't have any fueling issues. I already had de snorkeled my bike and did the 22 cent mod though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Bigass rain yesterday, this morning bike tries to start a couple times till the battery is dead. Load up the battery while im at work, now it starts like new. Battery problem or rain problem?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

niethan posted:

Bigass rain yesterday, this morning bike tries to start a couple times till the battery is dead. Load up the battery while im at work, now it starts like new. Battery problem or rain problem?

How's the standing voltage/loaded voltage on the battery?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Didn't have the time to measure it this morning... I went thru all the electrical troubleshooting a month or two ago when the battery was weak from winter. Let's see if it works tomorrow, if it doesn't I'll go thru that again

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Turns out no Kawasaki dealer within 300 miles of Odessa, Texas stocks an air filter for a KLR650. So, I'm just riding home without one. :(

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

sklnd posted:

Turns out no Kawasaki dealer within 300 miles of Odessa, Texas stocks an air filter for a KLR650. So, I'm just riding home without one. :(

i would really NOT recommend this. If you can't figure something out make sure you change the oil like as soon as you get back

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I don't exactly have a lot of choice, and yes its getting changed ASAP.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Seems like putting anything there would be better than nothing. Grab a low density sponge, soak it in oil, and tape it in place temporarily. It's the KLR way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

hayden. posted:

Seems like putting anything there would be better than nothing. Grab a low density sponge, soak it in oil, and tape it in place temporarily. It's the KLR way.

yeah you the backfire screen should hold it in there, you can even put the filter cage over it :D

Maybe by a similiar looking filter, whatever they have in stock and just jamming it in there

• Locked thread