Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So I just rewatched episode 7, "The War Prayer", and Sinclair brings up something that I don't feel is ever resolved in the series.

In "The Gathering", the Sinclair look alike slaps a patch on Kosh's hand that poisons him (if I am remembering correctly). When I saw this, I instantly took issue with it because it was so out of character for a vorlon to expose itself like that.

In "The War Prayer", Sinclair wonders how it was possible for the poison to get into Kosh's suit. Now, if you've seen the pilot, you know that Kosh literally sticks his hand out. This is weird because if you watch the series first, you know that the vorlons are not friendly, warm, or open like that. Shaking hands is beneath them. Sinclair is right in that it doesn't make sense when you look at it from this perspective for Kosh to have been so easily poisoned.

So, my question is, how much of The Gathering is canon? Was Sinclair's remark supposed to be a retcon because JMS realized that it doesn't make sense for Kosh to shake hands with Sinclair?

Or, are we supposed to take things at face value? Was Kosh just that much more trusting before and after the assassination attempt he stopped taking any risks whatsoever and Sinclair just missed out on his chance to shake Kosh's hand?

It seems like a weird inconsistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Haraksha posted:

So I just rewatched episode 7, "The War Prayer", and Sinclair brings up something that I don't feel is ever resolved in the series.

In "The Gathering", the Sinclair look alike slaps a patch on Kosh's hand that poisons him (if I am remembering correctly). When I saw this, I instantly took issue with it because it was so out of character for a vorlon to expose itself like that.

In "The War Prayer", Sinclair wonders how it was possible for the poison to get into Kosh's suit. Now, if you've seen the pilot, you know that Kosh literally sticks his hand out. This is weird because if you watch the series first, you know that the vorlons are not friendly, warm, or open like that. Shaking hands is beneath them. Sinclair is right in that it doesn't make sense when you look at it from this perspective for Kosh to have been so easily poisoned.

So, my question is, how much of The Gathering is canon? Was Sinclair's remark supposed to be a retcon because JMS realized that it doesn't make sense for Kosh to shake hands with Sinclair?

Or, are we supposed to take things at face value? Was Kosh just that much more trusting before and after the assassination attempt he stopped taking any risks whatsoever and Sinclair just missed out on his chance to shake Kosh's hand?

It seems like a weird inconsistency.

I believe JMS stated at one point that the reason Kosh did such a thing was that he recognized Valen in Sinclair. The problem with this is that Kosh is a telepath and should've known that the Sinclair he saw was not the real Sinclair. Maybe because Kosh knows what he knows, he trusted Sinclair enough?

My main problem with the poison is that Kosh is an energy being. It doesn't seem like poison could hurt something like that. Of course, knowing the Vorlons, having Kosh play dead could be in their inscrutible plans. http://worldsofjms.com/b5/essays/framed.htm

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 20, 2010

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Milky Moor posted:

Of course, knowing the Vorlons, having Kosh play dead could be in their inscrutible plans.
Yeah, that's the only way it remotely makes sense to me. Honestly, I wish they had never brought it up within the regular series, that way I could just forget about it along with Delenn's freaky skin.

Why did they bring it up? What importance did it serve to that episode's plot?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In a broad sense, it's about the ongoing theme of no one on B5 being what they appear. This started in the previous episode with G'Kar saving Catharine and continues into this episode with Londo helping the young kids who wanted to get married. Ivanova was theorizing that Kosh's suit may have nothing at all to do with the environment and may just be a smoke and mirrors show to confuse the lesser races.

In context of the episode, Sinclair had just had a conversation about the human attacks on aliens with Kosh. He meets up with Ivanova in the CIC and brings up something that had been bothering him since that conversation, and that's that Kosh was poisoned through his hand, which doesn't make a lick of sense to Sinclair.

Edit: JMS really wanted to make a ton of callbacks to the pilot I guess. Episode 7 also opens with Garibaldi and Ivanova fighting over who has to take custody of the Centauri runaways. Garibaldi threatens to kill Ivanova's coffee plants to get her to do what he wants, which is exactly what happened between Garibaldi and Boomer.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 20, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

gg posted:

Is this a good show to watch for someone who liked DS9? I know some people draw a lot of comparisons between them and they were competing against each other back in the 90's.

DS9 is loving awesome and everybody should watch it. Case in point:

The first season mostly sucks, the second and third are better, then everything after Sisko grows the goatee and shaves his head is solid gold.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

^^^ Nice troll :rolleyes:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not a troll, I quoted the wrong person though. :downs:

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Haraksha posted:

Garibaldi threatens to kill Ivanova's coffee plants to get her to do what he wants, which is exactly what happened between Garibaldi and Boomer.

Garibaldi and Boomer? That military chick from GROPO? I'm confused. Who is Boomer?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

tastychicken posted:

Garibaldi and Boomer? That military chick from GROPO? I'm confused. Who is Boomer?

He means Laurel from the pilot film. Unless there was a BSG/B5 crossover that I never heard about.

And I need to hear about it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I scored volumes 3-12 of the script books off eBay! :woop: Got outbid by someone on the last two, unfortunately, but I'll have to just keep my eyes open for them in the future (unless someone here wants to sell theirs).

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He means Laurel from the pilot film. Unless there was a BSG/B5 crossover that I never heard about.

Yeah, I think I remember something about coffee plants in The Gathering too. I'll have to recheck that.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

tastychicken posted:

He means the asian second in command from the pilot. See, he calls her Boomer because she is asian just like another asian sci-fi character. They're asian!

(But seriously, the lady in the B5 pilot and the lady who played Boomer in BSG are both godawful overactors and deserve that comparison)

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I know there is a thread buried in the archives somewhere in which several posts talk about the planned story arc for Crusade released in the last volume of the scripts, but this information is literally nowhere else on the internet so could somebody please hook a brother up or post it here? I'm dying to know what the deal was with the Apocalypse Box but couldn't afford to buy all the scripts at the time.

Also if anyone is interested I have the three Bester/Psi-Corps novels and am willing to sell them for a reasonable price. PM me about it, I guess. I live in China and am going home next week to sell most of my poo poo on the internet anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hard Clumping posted:

He means the asian second in command from the pilot. See, he calls her Boomer because she is asian just like another asian sci-fi character. They're asian!

(But seriously, the lady in the B5 pilot and the lady who played Boomer in BSG are both godawful overactors and deserve that comparison)

I don't think Grace Park is much of an actress but she's still light years ahead of the woman in the B5 pilot.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Noxville posted:

I don't think Grace Park is much of an actress but she's still light years ahead of the woman in the B5 pilot.

The "Boom goes the Dynamite" guy is light years ahead of the woman in the B5 pilot. It's like they just pulled some random person off the street and threw them into a TV show.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Haraksha posted:

Edit: JMS really wanted to make a ton of callbacks to the pilot I guess. Episode 7 also opens with Garibaldi and Ivanova fighting over who has to take custody of the Centauri runaways. Garibaldi threatens to kill Ivanova's coffee plants to get her to do what he wants, which is exactly what happened between Garibaldi and Boomer.
The scene where Takashima talks about coffee was cut from the pilot when it was originally broadcast, and JMS decided to reuse the idea with Ivanova. The scene was reinstated in the version released on DVD.

Be Depressive posted:

I know there is a thread buried in the archives somewhere in which several posts talk about the planned story arc for Crusade released in the last volume of the scripts, but this information is literally nowhere else on the internet so could somebody please hook a brother up or post it here? I'm dying to know what the deal was with the Apocalypse Box but couldn't afford to buy all the scripts at the time.
To my knowledge JMS has never explained exactly what the Apocalypse Box was or what would've happened with it. Those unproduced scripts don't explain it. A while back he did an interview with IGN in which he gave a basic summary of what would've happened on the show:

quote:

We discover that there's a much broader problem even than the plague – it had to do with Earth using Shadow technology in ways they shouldn't be doing, and who was responsible for the destruction of captain Gideon's ship. Suffice it to say that – through a series of incidents – the Excalibur crew would have been considered traitors and have to basically be on the run. Further, the cure that Earth would have believed to be the right one would not in fact work as they think it would have worked. Our guys would find out about this, and no one would have believed them. As things unravel, it's a larger conspiracy, so basically – after the second year – the show you think Crusade is would be a whole different show, with much more depth to it, more political, more controversial in some ways, and would deal with the impact of technology on society, would cast our characters as renegades and loners without port, and turn the whole series upside-down. The whole plague thing was really just a way to get the thing going and give them something to do in the beginning while we establish the characters before we pull the plug and change the whole nature of the show into something I think would probably have been revolutionary... but we never got that far.
http://movies.ign.com/articles/035/035907p1.html

That sounds rather similar to the basic plot of B5. Hopefully in the long-awaited Crusade script books he'll go into more detail.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Doctor Zero posted:

I can't decide if that's my favorite scene or if this is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-5S9PTOhZ8

(Season 5 spoilers)

You are both wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY (Season 4 spoiler)

This is the best 90 seconds of TV ever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

My main problem with the poison is that Kosh is an energy being. It doesn't seem like poison could hurt something like that. Of course, knowing the Vorlons, having Kosh play dead could be in their inscrutible plans. http://worldsofjms.com/b5/essays/framed.htm

JMS addressed the Kosh poisoning question a few times, posting links so this doesn't look like a Freedom of Information Act page:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/find/CompuServe/cs98-05/2.html
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/find/CompuServe/cs96-05/35.html
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/find/CompuServe/cs95-06/141.html

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

A Winner is Jew posted:

You are both wrong.

Goddamn it, this show is too awesome. They're all the best. :haw:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

tastychicken posted:

Hard Clumping posted:

Yeah, this is the comparison I was going for. I am fairly certain that the only reason why either of them was cast was because "nerds like Asian women".

Action Jackson posted:

The scene where Takashima talks about coffee was cut from the pilot when it was originally broadcast, and JMS decided to reuse the idea with Ivanova. The scene was reinstated in the version released on DVD.

Interesting. I didn't know the original was different.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It will always be better in your head than on paper or film.

"This is a nice ship you've got here," Chief Engineer Tyrell whispered.
Garibaldi smiled as his hand combed through the big man's chest hair. "Let me show you how we make gravity in space."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Doctor Zero posted:

Goddamn it, this show is too awesome. They're all the best. :haw:

Nope, I found it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWl1ZteUS8U

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is it wrong that I've spent the last several minutes giggling like an idiot picturing Londo saying, "Mr. Gauis Balter!"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

A Winner is Jew posted:

You are both wrong.

I remember laughing like and idiot when I saw that for the first time. Much love to Vir

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

You are both wrong.

I can't find video, but my favorite is the Londo/Morden scene where -- this is too cryptic to be a real spoiler -- Londo says "actually, now that you mention it..." <CLICK>

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Number_6 posted:

I can't find video, but my favorite is the Londo/Morden scene where -- this is too cryptic to be a real spoiler -- Londo says "actually, now that you mention it..." <CLICK>

Also my favorite. Proves the thread title! :haw:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Anyone for a couple of close friends in an elevator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsdQzoIXIE
The fun bits are from about two minutes on. I hear you!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pretty much any time Londo and G'Kar were together is a favorite scene.

The Big One
Aug 22, 2007

climb aboard the murder train

Doctor Zero posted:

I scored volumes 3-12 of the script books off eBay! :woop: Got outbid by someone on the last two, unfortunately, but I'll have to just keep my eyes open for them in the future (unless someone here wants to sell theirs).

gently caress yes. I recently got vol. 15 off there, just waiting for it to ship. It will be glorious.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Well, if it's about picking a scene, this one's inevitable for someone. I'll stake my claim to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKloZRwLu4

Even just watching that bit completely out of context is still really unsettling for me. Even if you don't strictly speaking like a sequence like that, it's definitely the most memorable one in the series for me.

Morphia
May 6, 2003
The system is down.
I just finished reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut and the whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking of how much of it sounded like stuff that JMS used in B5. The way the Vorlons speak/think sounded a lot like the Tralfamadorians. Captain Sheridan mentions Dresden at one point and Babylon Squared may or may not be based loosely on SHF. I think there were other instances but I can't remember specifics right now. I also did a little digging around with Google to see if I could find any other mention of this whether unofficial or not and I couldn't find anything. Anyone else who has read it feel the same way?

Morphia fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 23, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The Big One posted:

gently caress yes. I recently got vol. 15 off there, just waiting for it to ship. It will be glorious.

Ha! So jealous. I bid on that too, but after getting the rest of the set, I really didn't have the cash to keep up. Maybe later.

I visited my dad (who is also a huge B5 fan - he actually helped get me into it) on Father's day and told him I was bidding on the rest of the set on eBay. I mentioned that I didn't have the money to order the full thing when it was available and he said "Oh, you should have told me, I would have given you the cash for it." :smithicide: Ah well.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
My absolute favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uqCZCgRKU

There's something about the strenght of character that I find really inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WkQTzAcYk Oh, and this.
and this I guess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMkGVhlQfDA&NR=1

tastychicken fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 23, 2010

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's also the one moment in that episode where Sheridan MIGHT have the upper hand. The interrogator might just be playing sympathetic, but the actor plays just enough doubt that I think Sheridan might have made him question for just a fraction of a second what he was doing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tastychicken posted:

My absolute favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uqCZCgRKU

There's something about the strenght of character that I find really inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WkQTzAcYk Oh, and this.
and this I guess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMkGVhlQfDA&NR=1

My favorite B5 out-take by far is the one scene in the council chambers where Sheridan makes some ultimatum and the ambassadors all erupt with cries of, "Outrage!" and "Unacceptable!" and one guy in the back smacks his desk and yells, "THIS IS BULLSHIT!"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it's also the one moment in that episode where Sheridan MIGHT have the upper hand. The interrogator might just be playing sympathetic, but the actor plays just enough doubt that I think Sheridan might have made him question for just a fraction of a second what he was doing.
I might pop in a DVD from time to time to watch a battle scene, but that's only because if I put in Intersections in Real Time I would watch the whole thing. It is my most favorite episode.

Well that's not entirely true; I will also watch Severed Dreams from beginning to end too.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
No love for War without end Part 1 and 2? :O

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Habibi posted:

My favorite B5 out-take by far is the one scene in the council chambers where Sheridan makes some ultimatum and the ambassadors all erupt with cries of, "Outrage!" and "Unacceptable!" and one guy in the back smacks his desk and yells, "THIS IS BULLSHIT!"

Oh god is there video of this? This sounds loving hysterical

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Anyone for a couple of close friends in an elevator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsdQzoIXIE
The fun bits are from about two minutes on. I hear you!

This is some good poo poo. You almost wanna laugh with him until you realize how hosed up the whole situation is.

I watched through all of Deep Space 9 recently, and I'd tell my big Trek nerd friend which episodes I was running through, and sometimes he'd go "Get ready for some AC-TING!" I thought, oh poo poo, this is gonna be good, but then the parts he were talking about came and went, and I was left thinking "this wasn't that bad" (most of the time)

But today I realized, that's because I watched this loving show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hard Clumping posted:

Oh god is there video of this? This sounds loving hysterical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dh5nbwmLko#t=3m12s

The Big One
Aug 22, 2007

climb aboard the murder train

Hard Clumping posted:

I watched through all of Deep Space 9 recently, and I'd tell my big Trek nerd friend which episodes I was running through, and sometimes he'd go "Get ready for some AC-TING!" I thought, oh poo poo, this is gonna be good, but then the parts he were talking about came and went, and I was left thinking "this wasn't that bad" (most of the time)

But today I realized, that's because I watched this loving show.

This place... great makers, this place... NO! I see death. Destruction. Fire. Babylon will fall, this place will be destroyed

Fire. death. pain. fire, death, pain, no! NO! (faints)

Signs and Portents is still a great episode, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The music and possibly direction in A Call to Arms is poo poo.

It should have had a truly epic battle at the end, reminiscent of the battle of the line. But instead I kept thinking about the bills I haven't yet paid this month.

• Locked thread