Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadguy
Apr 23, 2007

Hello Bob
I just finished episode 13 and I'm actually starting to warm up to this show. It's slower paced than I was expecting, but I'm starting to like that. They would have been better off casting a block of wood as Sinclair, but I know he's gone by Season 2 so I'm bothered too much.

I will go back and watch more of Season 1 later, but at this point I just want to see the important episodes so I can get on to the good seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

rejutka posted:

Delenn starting any sentence with "We Minbari believe..." is usually not gonna end well for the viewer.

Followed by "...In Jihad and genocide, so don't piss me off Human".

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Riso posted:

I say Delenn has the worst acting in the show. I try to skip any parts with her.

So you never watched season 1?

danno
Dec 13, 2002

If anyone around here is to be doing the booking, it will be me.

Riso posted:

I say Delenn has the worst acting in the show. I try to skip any parts with her.
To be fair, I don't think Glenn Close could've done much better with the character. All of the Minbari are written as two-dimensional and wooden. Bill Mumy got the closest in season 5 with the whole joining the Rangers 'cause he loves Delenn storyline, but it wasn't a whole lot to go on.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Riso posted:

Someone hasn't met Jeff Conway yet.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

^^^ Just checked him out on wikipedia and bad acting has been the least of his problems :smith:

Tomcat1944
Mar 31, 2004

Be at peace my friends
I don't know what you goons are on about the acting is fine.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
...Including Jeffrey "Made by Shakers" Sinclair?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

deadguy posted:

I just finished episode 13 and I'm actually starting to warm up to this show. It's slower paced than I was expecting, but I'm starting to like that. They would have been better off casting a block of wood as Sinclair, but I know he's gone by Season 2 so I'm bothered too much.

I will go back and watch more of Season 1 later, but at this point I just want to see the important episodes so I can get on to the good seasons.

Season 1 is paced fairly slowly and broadly in order to provide a foundation for the rest of the series. Expect the pace to pick up at a progressively faster rate once you hit Season 2. By season 3 you will need to hang on to your scrotum to make sure your testicles aren't left behind.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I always thought Vir was decently portrayed or maybe it was just because his scene's usually entailed Lando being nearby and his awesome just obscured any terrible done by Vir.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

CommunistMojo posted:

I always thought Vir was decently portrayed or maybe it was just because his scene's usually entailed Lando being nearby and his awesome just obscured any terrible done by Vir.

Anything bad Vir has ever done is made up for when a threat he makes in season 3 gets fulfilled in Season 4. That was the loving best ever

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hard Clumping posted:

Anything bad Vir has ever done is made up for when a threat he makes in season 3 gets fulfilled in Season 4. That was the loving best ever

That wave...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Palleon posted:

Ivanova is a pretty bad actress too.

You and me.

We're fighting.

The Big One
Aug 22, 2007

climb aboard the murder train

Riso posted:

Ironically one of the few actors from the show to do anything high-profile after Babylon 5. (Lost)

deadguy posted:

I'm watching B5 for the first time. Someone on page 1 said you could watch episodes 1, 8, 13, and so on from season 1. Somebody please tell me the acting gets better. It seems like an interesting show but the acting is terrible.

Well, I wrote that list for someone who only wanted a refresher on the season. There's still important character fleshing that goes on in the other episodes, and really the only way to remember everyone's name and get a sense of who they are is to watch them on screen. I'd say if you want to rush through season one, that's cool, but once you once you watch season two to episode 9, if the show is something you want to really dig into, you should go back and watch the other episodes of season one.

The Big One fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 7, 2010

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hard Clumping posted:

Vir always fit perfectly to me, no matter what. He seemed like the kind of everyman/nice guy everyone kind of wants to be, even if he is a little naive at times. He did some stupid poo poo, but it was always in character and made sense. Hell, one of the biggest things I liked about his character was Londo threatened to quit as ambassador if Vir was removed from his position. He had no real reason to do it. Seriously, he thought Vir wasn't very good at his job and if he had not known Vir he would have been demanding his removal as well, but because he knew Vir he just honestly thought he was a decent person and so should keep his job and not be disgraced. Even Londo with all his faults saw Vir as someone who should be around to make everyone better, not just shoved back into a hole to rot.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Tighclops posted:

You and me.

We're fighting.

I liked Ivanova most of the time, but man, her 'epic moment' at the end of season four was delivered so poorly - it sounded more like a joke.

seaborgium posted:

Vir always fit perfectly to me, no matter what. He seemed like the kind of everyman/nice guy everyone kind of wants to be, even if he is a little naive at times. He did some stupid poo poo, but it was always in character and made sense. Hell, one of the biggest things I liked about his character was Londo threatened to quit as ambassador if Vir was removed from his position. He had no real reason to do it. Seriously, he thought Vir wasn't very good at his job and if he had not known Vir he would have been demanding his removal as well, but because he knew Vir he just honestly thought he was a decent person and so should keep his job and not be disgraced. Even Londo with all his faults saw Vir as someone who should be around to make everyone better, not just shoved back into a hole to rot.

I always loved him too, I just worded my post in that way to let everyone know that, even if you don't like him now, you'll warm up to him. Goes the same for almost everything else in the show.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Riso posted:

Asian Ivanova from the pilot or don't you count the pilot? Well isn't that convenient. :colbert: From the main cast I'd say Ivanova is the worst. She's always either overacting or underacting and whenever she's given anything funny to say she fucks it up.

Also Delenn's pretty good at emoting but the accent really makes everything sound really fake.

Best actor on the show is Kim "That Narn/Markab/Drazi look familiar" Strauss. He makes the best Drazi.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

General Emergency posted:

Best actor on the show is Kim "That Narn/Markab/Drazi look familiar" Strauss. He makes the best Drazi.

Was he the Markab doctor? If so then yeah, I like him.

Green.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was he the Markab doctor? If so then yeah, I like him.

Green.

the Markab Doctor: Dr. Lazarenn was played by Irish actor Jim Norton.

He played in the B5 Episodes; Grail as - Ombuds Wellington, the Quality Of Mercy as Dr. Lazarenn and Dust to Dust i think as G`Kar`s father.

He also played Bishop Brennan in Father Ted. :rock:

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Just Another Lurker posted:

the Markab Doctor: Dr. Lazarenn was played by Irish actor Jim Norton.

He played in the B5 Episodes; Grail as - Ombuds Wellington, the Quality Of Mercy as Dr. Lazarenn and Dust to Dust i think as G`Kar`s father.

He also played Bishop Brennan in Father Ted. :rock:

Speaking of Grail, who could forget this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhC_KHkihKY

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

BrandonGK posted:

I absolutely love that scene. It's little stuff like that that really pads out the universe and makes you feel like you're in a real place.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

BrandonGK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGdKG3zL5I
Found this from the related videos. I like it. I like it a lot.

danno
Dec 13, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

I absolutely love that scene. It's little stuff like that that really pads out the universe and makes you feel like you're in a real place.
In the future, justice is signified by lighted tubes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I liked Sinclair a lot more than Sheridan, and anyone who bitches about Shia LaBeouf needs to re-watch Babylon 5 and see that Bruce Boxleitner is the originator of "nonononononono."

Seriously, though, I can't stand Boxleitner in anything he's ever done. Much like Jerry Doyle plays a poor man's Bruce Willis, Boxleitner's screen presence just screams "B-movie leading man."

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Timby posted:

Seriously, though, I can't stand Boxleitner in anything he's ever done. Much like Jerry Doyle plays a poor man's Bruce Willis, Boxleitner's screen presence just screams "B-movie leading man."

Say that to his face and he'll send you STRAIGHT TO HELL.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Timby posted:

I liked Sinclair a lot more than Sheridan, and anyone who bitches about Shia LaBeouf needs to re-watch Babylon 5 and see that Bruce Boxleitner is the originator of "nonononononono."

You get out of here!!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Timby posted:

Bring 'Em Back Alive, Tron, Babylon 5 and Papa Awesome on Chuck. Also, Jerry Doyle was great as Garibaldi and he can keep his hands in his pockets as much as he likes. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think i will always prefer Sinclair more than Sheridan, one was still enduring the Minbari War (PTSD anyone?) and the other was a gung-ho ship captain.

Different people and different roles in the story at the end of the day.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I always thought Sinclair was a walking mannequin. And that drat smug smile of his... I wanted to smack his face so many times.

I'll put a hole in your mind... with my boot!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Michael O'Hare was pretty bad in the early goings. But he settled down after the first ten episodes or so and was really starting to grow into the role when he was fired. :(

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Timby posted:

Hey! I have a present for you! It's in the airlock. Go ahead and get it before it ... spoils! Yeah! Before it spoils!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I always got a Mike Brady vibe from Sinclair whenever he did one of his baritone dad-voice monologues.

Cause crew, we're a family. And family always sticks together. A space station without a family is just a space station. But a space station with a family, now, that's a home. But a home without....

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

FrensaGeran posted:

I always got a Mike Brady vibe from Sinclair whenever he did one of his baritone dad-voice monologues.

Cause crew, we're a family. And family always sticks together. A space station without a family is just a space station. But a space station with a family, now, that's a home. But a home without....

Who do you serve, and who do you trust?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'll fully admit that part of it may well be the voice. Boxleitner's voice has this raspy Michael Douglas-esque tone that grates on me.

O'Hare, though ... man, I'd listen to him reading the phone book. :swoon:

My wife is fully convinced that I'm psychotic, by the way.

danno
Dec 13, 2002

Timby posted:

I'll fully admit that part of it may well be the voice. Boxleitner's voice has this raspy Michael Douglas-esque tone that grates on me.
Even for a television actor who came up in the 70s, Boxy's acting range is quite narrow. It's a good thing for him that Sheridan was written as an Eager American.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
"Go ahead, go for it, make my solar year!"

So 90s!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

O'Hare, though ... man, I'd listen to him reading the phone book. :swoon:

Bruce Boxleitner has the greatest action hero voice in the world.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Palleon posted:

Bruce Boxleitner has the greatest action hero voice in the world.

I think he's a got a great voice and while it's been years since I've seen B5, I never had a problem with his acting and immediately liked him better than Jeffrey "Look at my loving eyebrows" Sinclair.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Timby posted:

So do we, so do we.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
So... fasten, then zip?

• Locked thread