Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Does anyone have the list of "essential S1 episodes" handy? I'm starting a rewatch and I want to cut the fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So I just rewatched episode 7, "The War Prayer", and Sinclair brings up something that I don't feel is ever resolved in the series.

In "The Gathering", the Sinclair look alike slaps a patch on Kosh's hand that poisons him (if I am remembering correctly). When I saw this, I instantly took issue with it because it was so out of character for a vorlon to expose itself like that.

In "The War Prayer", Sinclair wonders how it was possible for the poison to get into Kosh's suit. Now, if you've seen the pilot, you know that Kosh literally sticks his hand out. This is weird because if you watch the series first, you know that the vorlons are not friendly, warm, or open like that. Shaking hands is beneath them. Sinclair is right in that it doesn't make sense when you look at it from this perspective for Kosh to have been so easily poisoned.

So, my question is, how much of The Gathering is canon? Was Sinclair's remark supposed to be a retcon because JMS realized that it doesn't make sense for Kosh to shake hands with Sinclair?

Or, are we supposed to take things at face value? Was Kosh just that much more trusting before and after the assassination attempt he stopped taking any risks whatsoever and Sinclair just missed out on his chance to shake Kosh's hand?

It seems like a weird inconsistency.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In a broad sense, it's about the ongoing theme of no one on B5 being what they appear. This started in the previous episode with G'Kar saving Catharine and continues into this episode with Londo helping the young kids who wanted to get married. Ivanova was theorizing that Kosh's suit may have nothing at all to do with the environment and may just be a smoke and mirrors show to confuse the lesser races.

In context of the episode, Sinclair had just had a conversation about the human attacks on aliens with Kosh. He meets up with Ivanova in the CIC and brings up something that had been bothering him since that conversation, and that's that Kosh was poisoned through his hand, which doesn't make a lick of sense to Sinclair.

Edit: JMS really wanted to make a ton of callbacks to the pilot I guess. Episode 7 also opens with Garibaldi and Ivanova fighting over who has to take custody of the Centauri runaways. Garibaldi threatens to kill Ivanova's coffee plants to get her to do what he wants, which is exactly what happened between Garibaldi and Boomer.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 20, 2010

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

tastychicken posted:

Garibaldi and Boomer? That military chick from GROPO? I'm confused. Who is Boomer?

Hard Clumping posted:

(But seriously, the lady in the B5 pilot and the lady who played Boomer in BSG are both godawful overactors and deserve that comparison)

Yeah, this is the comparison I was going for. I am fairly certain that the only reason why either of them was cast was because "nerds like Asian women".

Action Jackson posted:

The scene where Takashima talks about coffee was cut from the pilot when it was originally broadcast, and JMS decided to reuse the idea with Ivanova. The scene was reinstated in the version released on DVD.

Interesting. I didn't know the original was different.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And I need to hear about it.

It will always be better in your head than on paper or film.

"This is a nice ship you've got here," Chief Engineer Tyrell whispered.
Garibaldi smiled as his hand combed through the big man's chest hair. "Let me show you how we make gravity in space."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is it wrong that I've spent the last several minutes giggling like an idiot picturing Londo saying, "Mr. Gauis Balter!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Big One posted:

Depends on what you mean by essential. For purely story arc, I would go with: 1, 8, 13, 18, 19, 20, and 22.

Characters that are introduced come up in 3 (Adira), 5 (Catherine Sakai and Lennier), and 6 (Bester). Franklin comes in on episode 2 but I wouldn't wish Soul Hunter on anyone. 7 has some backstory on Londo and his wives, and other Centauri things. 21 introduces that alien energy transfer machine that comes up a few times later.

I've been introducing a friend to the series with my own fan edit of season 1, and it seems to be going well so far. The only real complaint so far is that there's no real resolution to Catherine Sakai's story, or the "secret marriage" between Delenn and Sinclair.

It's also frustrating to watch Babylon Squared with someone who knows you know the answers to all the questions. What a mindfuck that one is for newbies.

e: I've seen season 1 far more times than anyone ever should

I've been trying to stick to this, but it's really tough because each episode has a couple of rather important details. I think TKO is really the only episode you can totally skip without missing anything at all.

Also, you're insane if you skip episode 21 because of :cthulhu:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

tastychicken posted:

The Pakmara?

I meant Londo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just realized that that has the same plot as the new episode of Futurama, and it's just as creepy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think it's more accurate to say that the vorlons and shadows preferred to fight proxy wars against each other every 1000 years than to directly engage one another in all out war.

• Locked thread