Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lycus posted:

Also, Season 5 has more Centauri stuff, but you need to watch the latter part of Season 4 for the setup.

Was just gonna post this. If you like the Centauri, the latter half of season 5 is something you need to watch; also it functions as an extended denouement leading up to the best TV finale ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

New CGI or nothing. :arghfist::(

(this is a guy preparing to roll the dice because saying that is a gamble)

(he doesn't look too optimistic)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Like I said, it's just a personal handwave thing I do because evolution and mass extinctions fascinate me.

Evolution doesn't work on a set time scale; it doesn't invariably take X million years to develop sapient life. There is no goal or "progress" as such in evolution, if you take the undirected chance view (admittedly, JMS may not have in the B5 universe).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Number_6 posted:

This has been discussed before in detail, but for anyone who might not know, the CGI effects on the DVD release of B5 are "messed up" to some extent because they are zoomed and cropped to fit the DVD's 16:9 format. It makes them look grainy and introduces some strange aliasing/filtering artifacts. The CGI looked better when it originally aired in 4:3.

It's almost heresy, but I think I'd almost rather have the DVDs in 4:3, just so the original CGI and composite effects would not be as ugly as they are when forced to 16:9.

You can have that while I keep dreaming they will get someone like Zoic to completely remake the effects for a Blu-ray release. Also while I'm at it they will cost ten dollars per season. :v:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I started off my wife and daughters with The Gathering and into S1. Skipped nothing. They like to watch Xena and Hercules, and don't mind the dated visuals and stuff, so I told them the acting and so forth is about on that level to start with but it gets better. The daughters were somewhat against it to start with, but by the beginning of S2, they were bummed that Sinclair was reassigned and this interloper Sheridan came in.

Now we're getting into the middle of S2 and suddenly the quality is rocketing upward. This is my third or fourth time through the show, and The Coming of Shadows still gave me chills up and down my spine. My wife and oldest daughter ask to watch it every night. Even my 2-year-old says, "Daddy, more Bab 5."

Life is good.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SombreroAgnew posted:

You know, I'm watching the show again and season one is great. No complaints. I even like TKO. #TreatYoSelf2258 #SakaiTilIDie #Narnsense

The only thing I've found legitimately painful to watch was The Gathering. I mean there are moments in quite a few of the early episodes where you can only cringe, but it's never enough for me to say a whole episode was worthless.

Also the latter part of season 5 can hold its own with most of the rest of the show. It's just the first part that wears out its welcome, and I think even then a good portion of the reason why is that almost anything would feel like kind of a letdown after season 4.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I believe they were based on the original models. I could be totally misremembering things, but I seem to recall that of the original CGI, at least some of the common models still existed such as the Starfuries; it was all of the shots and tracking data and specialized models that were lost.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We just watched Z'Ha'Dum tonight... and then my wife said she wouldn't be able to sleep not knowing what happened to Sheridan, so we stayed up to watch the first episode of season 4. I've been looking forward to the climax of season 3 ever since we started, and I love that she is so into it. Every night since we got into the latter part of season 1 when they start laying down the groundwork for the Shadow War, she has been wanting to watch it every night. Before then, she enjoyed watching it, but still had to take it on faith that there's a reason it's my favorite show of all time. I don't think that's the case any longer.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I suddenly realized where I recognize your avatar from. Does Blake's Seven gain any momentum after the first season?

The funny thing about that is, I have no idea anymore. I saw it once, about ten years ago. That was going to be my next rewatch after B5, I think. Either that or Jeeves & Wooster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm just going to go ahead and put this here : :stare:

• Locked thread