Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

armorer posted:

I am going to be spending two weeks climbing in Greece in November, specifically the small island of Kalymnos. Are there any special things I should consider due to the current economic climate there?

We are going to Greece at the end of September and found these few articles helped to ease any worries about how things are going down there.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Rashomon posted:

My wife and I are thinking about taking a trip this October, and we're looking at Amsterdam/The Netherlands/maybe Belgium? It's my understanding that Oct is the beginning of the off season, mostly cool and a little wet, which sounds fine for us. We like chilling in museums, eating good food, historic buildings and architecture, live music (esp. jazz or classical music), and good bars/drinks. I was thinking about planning maybe 10-12 days. I have a good friend who said that Amsterdam is only worth four days, but it sounds pretty cool to me so I wanna do at least 5-6. And then maybe a couple of 2 day trips around to other cities, possibly The Hague, Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, maybe Luxembourg? (Obviously not all of them unless we want to extend the trip)

It seems like you can get everywhere on a train in like an hour which is pretty neat, although I am reading on the last couple pages that the trains are unreliable which is good to know.

I would agree that Amsterdam is about 4 days' worth of trip. Definitely go to the Tropenmuseum if you like anthropological stuff, Brouwerij t'Ij for a nice little brewery tour and some tasty drinks (don't bother with the Heineken Experience unless you're set on it), and Electric Ladyland for a bizarre and brilliant experience - genuinely one of the best things I've done in Amsterdam. Golem Proeflokaal on the Overtoom is a nice pub with lots of good beers, and there are lots of places to eat near there as well. I've heard that Kartika is great for rijstafel but I haven't had the chance to eat there myself. Lost in Amsterdam is pretty touristy but it's a cool bar, and they do really delicious alcoholic milkshakes.

You could check out Den Haag, I enjoyed my time there and the Escher museum is in a palace so that is pretty cool. Haarlem is an attractive little town but there's nothing much to do, and I'm not sure spending a couple of hours their in the rain would be that great.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

meatpotato posted:

Thread, help! I haven't taken a vacation in a long time and I'm tempted to go to London simply because Norwegian Airlines has some really cheap (~$350 USD) roundtrip non-stop tickets from Oakland, California in January - March 2017. I know they don't include checked bags in the fee, but I'm used to traveling light.

My wife and I would be there for a week and a half and we like museums, which I've already seen a few recommended, and off-the-beaten-path type attractions. We aren't into shopping or big spending on restaurants. Hell, we might even get a private room in a hostel instead of a hotel unless there's a good reason not to. What I'm trying to say is that we're really cheap on a budget.

Considering that, can anybody recommend good areas to stay in and places to visit? Thanks :)

The Wellcome Collection is something I always recommend to people coming here, which is free and brilliant. Where else can you see Napoleon's toothbrush, a Peruvian mummy, Darwin's walking stick, and a chamber pot with a funny poem on it all in the same room?! They also have great special exhibitions there, one at the moment is about Bedlam.

Wandering around Brick Lane/Shoreditch can be a nice way to pass the afternoon and you can get some tasty street food to go with random tat you'll pick up. I'd recommend this area over Camden, but both have similar things going on for the budget tourist.

It all depends what you're into but there is loads of free stuff to do in London, and you certainly won't be bored on a budget.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

MagicCube posted:

I'm headed to Athens on Tuesday for 5 days and am starting to worry a little bit about the language since Greece is the first country I've been to that doesn't use the Latin alphabet and has a tougher language than all the Western European countries I've been to. I'm learning a few basics like hello, goodbye, please, thanks, etc. but will I generally be OK with mostly English?

My partner and I went to Athens with no knowledge of the language aside from a phrasebook and we were absolutely fine. It's a European capital city, you'll be alright. And please go and eat at Akordeon near Monestaraki. My partner and I stimbled across it and had amazing food, and a really interesting conversation with one of the owners before he and the co-owner's wife played traditional music and sang despite us being the only ones in the restaurant. They also took the time to stop now and then to translate, or tell us what the songs were about. It was such a unique and lovely experience that we would never have had if it weren't for taking a chance on some random restaurant down a side street!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

unpacked robinhood posted:

Seconding this. The castle's gardens are also open on evenings and you may be able to enjoy the sunset from up there. At least it was a few years back.
Maybe check out this restaurant, it's right by the river and a cheap and charming place to have lunch or dinner.

Spending 3 days in Lisbon next week, is it worth trying to get transportation to one of the natural reserves around (Arrabida Natural Park ?) We probably won't rent a car.

I can't speak for the reserves, but I would definitely go for a day in Sintra. The Pena Palace is like a Disney castle but real, and it was a great thing to explore even though I'm not usually into castles and such. It has pleasant grounds and absolutely stunning views.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

ALFbrot posted:

Also, any other general recommendations for Amsterdam in mid-April?
It depends what you like, but the Vondelpark is pleasant to wander around. The Tropenmuseum is my favourite museum in Europe, it's an anthropological museum with superb special exhibitions. Worth the ticket price just for those, in my opinion.

Presumably your wife won't be drinking, but if you have an interest in beer and she doesn't mind you having a couple, I can recommend the Brouwerij 't IJ brewery tour - it's in an old bathhouse near a windmill and the beer is good.

The Kattenkabinet is a fun way to spend a couple of hours for something like 5 euro.

Electric Lady Land is a bizarre and wonderful way to spend an afternoon, and it's perfectly located for having a nice stroll before/after.

Amsterdam Noord is just over the water (it's a free boat ride from the train station) and mostly has an arty event space, but on a sunny day it's really lovely to wander round. Cute houses and a bit of greenery, that sort of thing.

For proper Dutch fare, pay a visit to Moeders - it's a quirky little restaurant that serves tasty food in the style of Dutch mothers. I took some American friends and they really liked it.

If you fancy another day trip, Den Haag isn't far on a train from Amsterdam and is a nice city. It has the Escher museum set in one of the royal palaces, which is pretty cool.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Entropist posted:

The De Prael taproom is also a nice place to hang out in the evening while having good local beer. Or Het Arendsnest to try various Dutch beers.

Golem Proeflokaal on the Overtoom is another good beer place, and I can second the Arendsnest suggestion! They have tables on the canal, which is a lovely place to chill after a day exploring. I also love In De Wildeman but it can get pretty busy. They have board games if you want to kill a couple of hours hiding from rain or crowds.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Ras Het posted:

Go to Sintra. I can't emphasise this enough. It's insanely beautiful and wonderful and like an hour's train ride from Lisbon.

Yes, this a hundred times. We were only going to go to the Pena Palace (Google it, and yes, those colours are real) but went back on our last say to do the Moorish Castle. It's a really gorgeous place.

I really enjoyed the aquarium too, which is the largest in Europe and is set on an old oil rig.

Eat and drink in the Bairro Alto, but go out later than you'd think. Things don't start getting really fun until 11pm onward.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I just got back from Amsterdam yesterday! It is such a great brewery. Made sure to drink Zatte en Natte on my trip, and tried their IJwit for the first time. I can recommend Gollem's proeflokaal (tasting room, basically) on Overtoom if you want more good beer, or Arendsnest more centrally. Both have a really nice vibe and helpful staff.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 22, 2017

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Good language tip. I also noticed an errant 's' in there too. I get too caught up with the word ijsbeer because it is a lovely word. Also the first time I came across a slijterij sign, the font made it look like 'slutery' and I was sad to discover otherwise.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Simple Simon posted:

Me and the missus is planning on going to Amsterdamn. We're both from Sweden. Got any recommendations?

I feel like I've done a few bits of Amsterdam recommending in this thread. Try clicking the ? under my username.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Cacator posted:

Going to be in Spain/Portugal in late October. Doing Barcelona-Seville-Madrid-Lisbon for about 3 days a piece. What do people recommend for day trips from Seville or Lisbon?

Go to Sintra from Lisbon. Gorgeous town, and you can pick a historical site to explore up the hill. My partner and I ended up going back there on our last day in Lisbon to see the Moorish castle, having seen Pena Palace when we went before. It's a really lovely place.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

uli2000 posted:

As far as food/dining: Im usually a stick with street food/supermarket fare during the day (was planning on a stroopwaffle, poferjies, and a herring stand) but like to have a nice meal in the evening if possible. But tbh, I was also looking at taking a canal cruise tour/pancake dinner thing as well. I know this is kinda hokey and the food is probably terrible, but I figure it's killing two birds with one stone. Should I skip it and get a proper meal? Where to go and what should I get? If I do that Id like something possibly unique to Amsterdam/Netherlands, the Dutch/Indonesian connection looks like it makes for some interesting food. Also, Im not much of a drinker but have been known to enjoy a beer or two on occasion. I've had the usual exported stuff like Heineken and Amstel (not really a fan of either), but is there something specific I should try while over there, especially on the darker end of the beer spectrum?

Go to Kartika for rijsttafel. One of the best meals I've eaten. Heineken and Amstel are crappy standard beers, try pretty much anything else. Brouwerij 't IJ has great stuff, but if you go to anywhere that does good beer (In de Wildeman, Arendsnest and Golem's proeflokalen are my top recommendations) they will ask what you like and help walk you through the selection. Just don't expect to find huge numbers of low ABV beer - accept that you'll be drinking 6% and upwards but in small volumes.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 17, 2017

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

uli2000 posted:

That looks exactly what Im looking for. The only thing I dont like is it seems like the majority of stuff there is a fixed menu for minimum two people, and I'll be solo. The al la cart menu looks a little small as well. Of course, Im a fat American Goon, maybe they'll just give me one of the fixed options and charge me for two.
You may as well go and see. It really is some of the tastiest food I've had, I never thought I'd wax lyrical about satay sauce but goddamn, their satay sauce alone is gorgeous. Kantjil en de Tijger is another place that people say is fantastic but I can't vouch for it personally. You may need to book.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Ras Het posted:

The castles and palaces of Sintra are an easy day trip from Lisbon

Everyone should go to Sintra. The Pena Palace is fairytale like Disneyland rather than Olde Worlde but stunning nonetheless. The Moorish castle has bangin' views.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Does anyone have recommendations for places to see and things to eat in Dublin? I am not really into art or fish/seafood, but will look into pretty much anything else.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

StealthBus posted:

I know January isn't the best but it's the only time we can get the kids looked after, and we've both never seen snow.

I hadn't really considered London because I think I'd rather see stuff that's a bit more different than here.

I don't have a snowy place in mind as I've never done a snow-based holiday, but I would certainly throw Sintra (just outside Lisbon) into the pot and somewhere like Athens where you can see some cool archaeology. But that's because I like that sort of thing. I love Amsterdam's vibe but, like London, maybe it wouldn't be different enough from Aus for you guys.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Jeoh posted:

I'm going to be in London next weekend and would like to splurge a bit on food. Most of the two/three star places have obviously been fully booked or don't do reservations for only one person (get hosed, tbh). Just looking for a nice Saturday night dinner and/or a long lunch on Sunday.

Maybe not a splurge for you, but both Bocca di Lupo and Rotorino are higher-end Italian places with amazing food if it's a good meal you're after, rather than a specifically priced kind of good meal.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

abraham linksys posted:

does Amsterdam have anything going on besides museums, shopping, and weed, because I'm not interested in the last two and I have two days left and other than the Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum I feel like I am completely out of poo poo to do

Tropenmuseum (always amazing special exhibitions worth the ticket price alone) and Kattenkabinet have already been mentioned but I can add Electric Ladyland, Artis, Vondelpark wandering, Museum tot zover if you don't mind getting on a tram, the Bodyworlds exhibition if you've not been to one before, popping over to Noord, and the Brouwerij 't IJ tour.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

webmeister posted:

Others might disagree but I don't think you need a week in Dublin. A day for getting over jet lag, a day for exploring and wandering, then a third day for a museum or two maybe. Most people do the Guinness factory (which is really just an hour-long advert for Guinness followed by a 'free' drink but it's still fun), and of course there's the Book of Kells and the library at Trinity College.

I went Thursday night - Sunday afternoon and my partner and I agreed we could've done with an extra day. And we didn't have jet lag to contend with!

The Guinness factory is definitely worth it, and a bit cheaper if you go a bit earlier in the day. Yeah, it's a big Guinness advert, but I agree that it's still quite fun.

The Little Museum of Dublin was really good too, especially if you don't know much about history in that area.

We went to the archaeology museum and only saw a tiny bit because we were museum'd out, but again it was great to see history other than what you learn in school in your home country.

Lots of great food and great beer to be had. Donuts seem to be A Thing, which was interesting.

I'd go back to Dublin for sure. The only thing to bear in mind is that it's a fairly expensive city. €6 for a pint isn't unusual.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Beachcomber posted:

1. 3 full days in Amsterdam.

We're going to go to the Noordrmarkt, the Bloemenmarkt, and the Albert Cuyp Market. We will probably go to the Van Gogh museum and possibly the red light district. I will be trying some magic truffles to see if it helps my depression or anxiety like several studies have shown, and will probably do that in the Vondelpark.

I think those days are pretty full, but if there's anything we missed or if you think we're under or over planning, I'm open to suggestion.

Eating priorities: poffertjes, stroopwaffeln, oliebol, lots of cheese, and anything from an automat because I've always wanted to eat at one. Maybe a horse steak.

Anything missing here?

Indonesian food is big in Amsterdam and I had some of the tastiest food at a place called Kartika, for very reasonable money. There's a great beer tasting place (proeflokaal) right by it called Golem's. If you're near the Vondelpark you might not be far (depending which side you're on you might be between 10-25 minutes away by foot) from those gems.

Moeders, as previously mentioned, is definitely worth checking out for dinner one evening if you really want Dutch fare. I would also go for a kroket from a Febo (automat), but have a couple of beers first.

If you're going to be in smoking places, Abraxas on Jonge Roelensteeg does really good hot chocolate.

I am a huge fan of the Tropenmuseum but if you're pushed for time you might not make it. It depends how long you spend wandering, and Amsterdam is a wonderful city to wander in.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

caberham posted:

[*]Eat Dutch food, stampotten, pancakes, Harring, bitterballen, the works

[*]The Hague,

Moeders for some Dutch food, I also always tell people to go to Kartika for rijsttafel.

There's an Escher museum in Den Haag that's set in a palace, which is a pretty cool combo.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Pollyanna posted:

I guess this is technically Europe - anybody got ideas for stuff to do in Dublin, Kinsale, and Dingle? This trip doesn’t have a whole lot planned, unfortunately. Pub crawls and faffing about the city is a given, but I want to find cool ruins and sights and cute little villages and other crazy poo poo.

Nothing really crazy, but I made this for a Dublin trip earlier this year. Against the Grain was cool and did a good bucket of chicken wings, and it was at the end of a pub crawl that included most of the places on that map. The Little Museum is definitely worth it, especially if you don't know a huge amount about Irish history. The archaeology museum has lots of viking stuff in, and again teaches you lots that you just don't hear about as a (presumably) English person. Had a coddle at The Hairy Lemon, which was tasty but not a summer dish. The Guinness Storehouse was not actually terrible and I would genuinely recommend going if you fancy it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I really love graffiti and think it can show you a lot about a place. The graffiti in Athens three years ago was fascinating, dissent and anger dripping from the walls. Wonderful stuff. I had no idea that Americans found it so unpleasant!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Fat Albert posted:

I'm 31 and he is 26, we both love history, food, and beer.

Our current rough itinerary is something along the lines of:

Berlin (4 nights)

I've just come back from two (very busy) days in Berlin and definitely felt like I needed more time. I can't speak personally for the other places on your list but I agree with the thread's sentiment that you should spend some more days in your bigger cities.

You say you've been before so I don't know what you got up to, but exploring Teufelsberg was a real highlight of my trip to Berlin and if you like walking, forests, views, graffiti, and history then it ticks every single box. Even if you've been before I think it's worth a second visit and showing someone who hasn't been. I'd allow half a day for this, and can recommend Scheune restaurant for a very hearty meal after your walk up to the site. We had lunch there and the pork knuckle (grillhaxe) - €15 - was amazing and super filling. I didn't need to eat until gone 9pm.

Berlin has a bunch of museums dedicated to ancient history, art, that sort of thing, that I didn't bother with during my limited time there because I felt time was better spent on more unique sites. Berliner Dom is really impressive and the audio tour was fairly interesting. If you've never seen one before, the Body Worlds exhibition is worth a go, though I could be biased because I met Gunther von Hagens when I was a kid and he really inspired my biology/anatomy nerd side.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kalenden posted:

I was hoping for some more inspiration for a warmer (+10 degrees) European trip in January and was considering Lisbon.

Sorta kinda doubting between Lisbon, Athens, Sicily, the Canary Islands or other options with a <5hour flight time (Israel?)

Is Lisbon nice?
How are other options in comparison?

Good food (high-end innovative dining is our preference, we like to do unique stuff), culture and city-tripping-on-foot is a must!

Lisbon is lovely and Athens is great. I think Athens might be a bit better for the high-end innovative food if that's a factor that'll pip it. Lisbon has Sintra though, which is an amazing place to visit. Both are very good for culture and city-tripping-on-foot and both have a decent enough metro system for going a bit further out.

Off the top of my head, some highlights of both are:

Lisbon:
Sintra (oh my god, Sintra!)
Amazing aquarium on an old oil rig
Bairro Alto late-night drinking
Great fish if you're into that

Athens:
Heaps and heaps of fascinating Really Old poo poo™
Hip bars
Interesting post-economic collapse vibe
Akordion restaurant

They're both brilliant in their own way, but I'd say Athens is much heavier on the history as a main attraction whereas Lisbon is more of a mix? Though that could just be how I ended up building my holidays in those places.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kalenden posted:

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting... I have actually been discouraged a lot by people for Athens but you make it sound very interesting. Could you expand a bit about the vibe?

It felt like a city that has a real vibrancy to it, with some really interesting places to just 'be.' There's a great bar called Six D.O.G.S that has an amazing garden, for example. And that Akordeon restaurant was an amazing experience - two teachers who were fed up of the corruption in universities decided to start a music restaurant, and when we went the place was dead but they still played us traditional songs, pausing sometimes to explain in English the general themes, and served us a bit of everything when we couldn't decide what to order. That friendliness and willingness to chat was something that made up part of the city's vibe.

We stayed in Exarchia and the graffiti all over that part of the city expressed a deep discontent, it was seething with anger turned on its politicians, and that was really interesting to see. People had said the area was a bit gritty, but it never felt unsafe - just interesting.

Alongside these modern ways of thinking and being there's just so much history everywhere. Practically every Metro station has a mini museum showcasing stuff they dug up when building the stations. You can turn a corner that's full of hip cafés and bars or high-end shops and suddenly be in the middle of an ancient ruin. It's quite a cool feeling!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The Wellcome Collection is always brilliant. They've also just opened a Body Worlds and those are fascinating. The deer will be doing their thang in Richmond Park at this time of year and that is cool to see, I drove through last week and a huge herd was just hanging out in the middle of the park.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Betazoid posted:

I'll be in Amsterdam during the daytime in January for a few days by myself (husband is working). Goonrecs for must-do things? I'm going to walk on the canals and go to the Rijksmuseum to see the Rembrandts, but I'd like to hear what others have done that was really great. Thanks!

1. Recs for dinner restaurants would be great. We are sort of leveraging his per diem so budget friendly is appreciated. Staying on the Singelgracht next door to the Rijksmuseum.

2. Are there any particularly nice day trips to do without a car? We like photography, and it would be cool to see the famous windmills, but it's January, so maybe a nice pub with a windmill view?

I think I've done a bunch of Amsterdam recommendations in this thread so click on the question mark under my name and you should find something!

e: Feeling helpful:

Bollock Monkey posted:

It depends what you like, but the Vondelpark is pleasant to wander around. The Tropenmuseum is my favourite museum in Europe, it's an anthropological museum with superb special exhibitions. Worth the ticket price just for those, in my opinion.

I can recommend the Brouwerij 't IJ brewery tour - it's in an old bathhouse near a windmill and the beer is good.

The Kattenkabinet is a fun way to spend a couple of hours for something like 5 euro.

Electric Lady Land is a bizarre and wonderful way to spend an afternoon, and it's perfectly located for having a nice stroll before/after.

Amsterdam Noord is just over the water (it's a free boat ride from the train station) and mostly has an arty event space, but on a sunny day it's really lovely to wander round. Cute houses and a bit of greenery, that sort of thing.

For proper Dutch fare, pay a visit to Moeders - it's a quirky little restaurant that serves tasty food in the style of Dutch mothers. I took some American friends and they really liked it.

Den Haag isn't far on a train from Amsterdam and is a nice city. It has the Escher museum set in one of the royal palaces, which is pretty cool.

Plus Kartika for rijsttafel.

I hear Hap Hmm recommended a lot but have never been myself.

Haarlem is a cute place and easy to get to on the train.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 23, 2018

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Mans posted:

I started to quote you all and then i realized i would be making a megapost, thank you all so much for your help!

Just here to second the DDR museum and to say that you should go to the Berliner Dom and get the audio tour - it wouldn't usually be my sort of thing but that building is really impressive and the audio tour contextualises a lot of things and has some interesting facts.

HookShot posted:

The last couple EU airports I've been to the EU passport line is just one that scans your smart passport and lets you through automatically. I don't know what would happen if you went through WITHOUT an EU passport (plus knowing how behind America is with technology I assume you guys don't have smart passports at all yet) but I assume it wouldn't let you do it, would call someone over and you'd get in trouble.

Yep, this is what I'd think too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Blinkman987 posted:

I still respect going somewhere that has a lot of history, which is why Athens is on the list.

Athens
What kind of city is Athens like?

On a final note, I get that we're kinda in the wrong part of Europe for this, but my buddy and I both like punk, hardcore, post punk, new wave, etc... so any clubs that feature that poo poo would be perfect.

Go to Athens. Save your travel time and stay in the same country.

Athens is young and fairly 'hip' with lots of great places to eat and drink. You will not be disappointed if you want history - there are free mini museums in metro stations and you'll turn a corner on a modern street and be confronted with ancient ruins. It's quite something.

I don't know personally but it feels like you'd be able to find a punk/hardcore club there too if you do a bit of research.

Eat at Akordeon, drink at Six d.o.g.s, skip the archaeological museum but hit up the one at the bottom of the Acropolis. The Panatheneic Stadium is also a cool bit of history and I think I actually shed a tear at the Temple of Olympian Zeus because its REALLY FUCKIN' OLD and just standing in the middle of this bustling city!

Athens really captured my imagination and I think it's definitely worth a visit if you're at all able.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

webmeister posted:

Istanbul is absolutely amazing and one of my all time favourite cities. The history in particular there is just amazing, and the modern culture is fascinating too. That said - it is a chaotic developing world city, so if you've never travelled outside the first world then it's going to be an eye-opener for you. I'm thinking particularly in terms of traffic and the like - it's miles away from the orderliness of Germany. Nobody's going to stop for him at a pedestrian crossing, that sort of thing. I wouldn't say don't go, but it might be worth waiting a couple of years until he's a bit more reliable.

I agree with this. There are lots of much more chilled out places with plenty of cats (in Istanbul it was the hundreds of stray dogs that stood out much more for me anyway!), and I think that he'd need to be a bit older to really appreciate what Istanbul has to offer. It's a wonderful place with rich culture and history, and I think you'd be doing the trip a bit of a disservice with such a young child. I can imagine it would inspire some serious wonder in a kid more like age 10+ though.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

cheese eats mouse posted:

Looking for Amsterdam recommendations. Me and my friend will be there Nov 15 and leaving the morning of the 23. We both would be down for a club/disco, art (Picasso museum) and design, great coffee, food and wine/beer. We both actually really love good cheese. Maybe day trips to other towns around we don't know about? We've also talked about a day or two in Paris (or I might have to fly to London for grad school open evenings but c'est la vie). Should we just stick around Amsterdam or popping into another country be worth it? What are some must sees? She'll want to smoke a bit too. We are two women in late-20s and early 30s. This is her first international trip and I'm a veteran by now.

I've posted a few times about Amsterdam, it was a yearly trip for a while for me and my partner - click the ? under my username. The 'cheese museum' outside the Anne Frank Huis is great for free samples and some delicious cheese, with a silly little bit downstairs where you can dress up as a milkmaid. Mainly it's all about the free samples though.

The Tropenmuseum is my favourite museum in Europe so far.

Daytrips - Den Haag is nice and the Escher Museum is in a palace, which is a nice combination. Haarlem is pretty but quiet.

For smoking, Abraxas on Jonge Roelensteeg does banging hot chocolate and is not intimidating. Touristy but comfortable with lots of space. I've also enjoyed Dampkring. I can't remember if Blues Brothers is still around but that was always nice and chill too. Go to Lost in Amsterdam during the day or early evening and have an alcoholic milkshake and a hookah - you need to keep your baccy under the table but for something like €10 they'll sort you out a hookah in a nice environment. It just gets a bit rowdy when the weekend crowd get there.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

HookShot posted:

FWIW I'm leaving for Egypt in five days for three weeks and we plan on basically fasting during the day since we'll basically feel like dicks for eating and drinking around people who can't. I find it's not really that hard if you have a big breakfast; I basically tend to do that a lot of the time anyway when I travel.

Obviously we'll be drinking because we're going to be Canadians in the desert, but we plan on being very subtle about it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I used to work with a lot of Muslim folk and they had zero issue with non-Muslims eating and drinking, even when it was 35°C with no air con. It's not like you're being a dick about it, you just don't share that custom and that's a-okay.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Drone posted:

So apropos of nothing: if you have to choose (for a short, three-night stay) between Dublin or Edinburgh, which is the one to choose?

Edit: background is I'd like to go to whichever of these two are likely to have fewer tourists in mid-June. Both have the climate that I'd like and appropriate old-city feel. Leaning Edinburgh because I feel like visiting it now before Brexit finally happens (if it ever does) will be better than doing it later.

Edinburgh is lovely and will be cheaper than Dublin to visit. They are both cool cities but my gut says go to Edinburgh. I don't think there will be much difference in the number of tourists. I love the look of Scottish architecture, and Edinburgh has some great examples of it, plus you can get up to Arthur's Seat so you can combine some city stuff with some more outdoorsy stuff if that's your bag.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Indolent Bastard posted:

What do you mean by temporary exhibitions? I hadn't thought of grave yard tours. Thanks for that!

Lots of museums have special exhibitions that are not there all the time, and you can also find them in art galleries etc.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I had two and a half days in Berlin and wished it was more like five. I'd definitely favour the first itinerary.

e:

Bollock Monkey posted:

Teufelsberg was a real highlight of my trip to Berlin and if you like walking, forests, views, graffiti, and history then it ticks every single box. I'd allow half a day for this, and can recommend Scheune restaurant for a very hearty meal after your walk up to the site. We had lunch there and the pork knuckle (grillhaxe) - €15 - was amazing and super filling. I didn't need to eat until gone 9pm.

Berlin has a bunch of museums dedicated to ancient history, art, that sort of thing, that I didn't bother with during my limited time there because I felt time was better spent on more unique sites. Berliner Dom is really impressive and the audio tour was fairly interesting. If you've never seen one before, the Body Worlds exhibition is worth a go, though I could be biased because I met Gunther von Hagens when I was a kid and he really inspired my biology/anatomy nerd side.

That easily takes up a day and a half and there is so much more to see. I think any less time in Berlin would be a waste because you'll barely scratch the surface or get a feel for the city.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 1, 2019

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

orange sky posted:

So, regarding Istanbul, what's the best area to stay in for a young couple that wants to visit cultural sites and have a drink at night?

Me and my gf will spend NYE there and while I've been there, most of the time I was working on the Asian side so I had no time to evaluate the areas in the European side.

Any good price/quality recommended hotels?

I have a reservation for Hotel Poem at the moment, but I can cancel it anytime.

Thanks guys!
My partner and I stayed in Emine Sultan Hotel ovr Christmas a few years ago and found it perfect for visiting cultural sites and having access to enough bars and restaurants to keep us entertained. The room was small and fairly basic but the service was great, the views at breakfast were lovely, and the location was so, so perfect. Really safe, really easy to walk everywhere we wanted to go, and very well-priced. I would absolutely stay there again, it was great.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hey, my gf and I are going to Northern Ireland to visit my family this week, and since we're flying into Dublin we'll be spending a day there - what should we do while we're there? I've been to Northern Ireland a whole bunch of times but I've only been to Dublin once before when I was a teenager
I really enjoyed The Little Museum of Dublin and the Archaeology Museum was good too. Also eat a donut, they're everywhere and they're great.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

CaptainPsyko posted:

Berlin (4-5 days)

Edinburgh (at least 5 days, specifically, will be there for the last week of Fringe, so if you have HOT COMEDY SHOW TIPS, I will be especially excited to get those. . I have the option to stick around for an extra day or two, as my flight home isn’t for another 5 days and is out of...)

London (I may not bother hanging out in London much at all, other than flying out of Heathrow).

The two things I haven’t sorted in terms of the actual itinerary are where I actually am going to stay in Berlin/London. I’m mostly working with a decade of accumulated hotel chain points, but any suggestions as far as ideal neighborhoods to stay in in either wouldn’t be unappreciated. Other than the first half of Barca time, I’ll be a 35 yo American dude travelling solo if that matters.

I think 5 days is right for Berlin. I'd spend at least a couple in London too if you've never been, there are some fantastic museums and heaps of great places to eat and drink. Go to the Wellcome Collection and then for a pint at the Euston Tap.

For the Fringe, book ahead for a few things but leave some time to hang around some of the outdoor eating and drinking areas next to venues and see which fliers you pick up. You can sometimes get cheap tickets if a show hasn't quite sold enough a couple of hours before its start time, and sometimes the patter you get from the performer can lead you to see a show you might not otherwise have bothered with. Don't rely too heavily on the free shows because a lot of them are terrible. Try to see some theatre as well as comedy.

Eat brunch at Mimi's Bakehouse in Leith. It's superb. And try a haggis burrito if you come across a stall selling them, it turns out haggis makes a great burrito meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Nice piece of fish posted:

Anyone got any solid tips on things to do in Lisbon or Portugal in general? Or a Portugal thread in general. Would be much appreciated.

You absolutely must visit the aquarium and take a day or two to go to Sintra (Pena Palace was my favourite!)

Go for drinks in Bairro Alto but don't bother getting there until after 10/11pm. Eat some fish anywhere that doesn't have a tourist menu outside.

Lisbon is really lovely. It has a decent Metro system too so don't feel too obliged to stay bang centrally.