Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm visiting Dublin for 5 days at the end of November along with some friends. 3 of us are celebrating our birthdays, so one night and a hangover day will be spent on that, but there should be lots of time left over for sightseeing.

I'm mostly interested in beer, history and any combination thereof. Aside from the Guinness brewery, I'd love suggestions for older breweries, pubs, museums and architecture.
Renting a car for a day trip isn't out of the question either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flixbus has a deal for the next 2 days - 10 euros to anywhere in the EU. Ì'm in Copenhagen, and don't want to spend more than about 8 hours in transit.* Where should I go for a weekend trip?

Berlin was my first idea, but my friends there are too busy writing their thesis to really do anything.

*It looks like the deal doesn't count for cities more than about 12 hours away.

Edit: If any of you are interested, the deal is available through Flixbus' app, and counts for any day up to March 17th.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think the requirements vary depending on the country. Danes need a second "blue" health insurance card in order to avoid fees in the rest of the eu.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Flixbus has a deal for the next 2 days - 10 euros to anywhere in the EU. Ì'm in Copenhagen, and don't want to spend more than about 8 hours in transit.* Where should I go for a weekend trip?

Berlin was my first idea, but my friends there are too busy writing their thesis to really do anything.

*It looks like the deal doesn't count for cities more than about 12 hours away.

Edit: If any of you are interested, the deal is available through Flixbus' app, and counts for any day up to March 17th.

So my friend didn't want to go to Hamburg either and we ended up picking a random spot on the map. What's up Rostock! :haw:

Then I told some German friends and they made funny faces and told me to take a train to Warnemunde instead. :ohdear: We're only there for 2 days though, how bad can it be?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Well... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostock-Lichtenhagen_riots.

In all seriousness, though, Rostock isn't that bad, and the city centre is nice enough. Worst case, Wismar isn't far away and supposedly quite nice as well. If it's only for 2 days, you'll be fine.

Heh, yeah the neo-nazi connection came up in that conversation too. We're couchsurfing with an Iranian dude though, and I imagine things have changed a lot since then.

Wismar does look nice though and apparently Rostock has a museum inside an old stasi prison, which sounds pretty cool

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The cliffs of Howth are a short train ride away and make for a great little hike, with a beautiful view of Dublin. Be up there for the sunset or sunrise, if possible. Apparently there are some really spectacular hiking opportunities further afield, but we didn't have the time, sadly. Kilmainham Gaol as mentioned previously is really interesting and a great primer on a lot of modern Irish history.
The book of Kells is worth checking out. If you make friends with some Trinity College students or just ask nicely, they can get you in for free.

There's a ton of great pubs around, so if spending half the day drinking and eating is your thing, enjoy. I know I did! A lot of the pubs in Temple Bar are really touristy though. Weird crowd and expensive drinks. Ask them how much their Guinness is, if it's 6 or more euro, move on.

Palpek posted:

Just lol at swapping Hamburg for Rostock. I guess the meta fun of choosing a random place on the map will have to carry you through this.

Departing on Friday. We're pretty good at making our own fun. :shobon:

If I don't post about it in the coming week I'm either dead or a prisoner of neo-nazis hiding in an abandoned cold war bunker.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rostock report - The city center can be seen in about a day, and has a cool cathedral. There's a Stasi prison museum filled with insane DIY submarines macgyvered together out of outboard motors and vodka, which East Germans used to escape the DDR via the Baltic Sea. Wärnemunde the coastal part, is a pretty typical beach resort town and unexceptional apart from discovering that fish döner is a thing.

We also spent a day in Schwerin, the capital of Magdeburg province. Touring Schloss Schwerin was a ton of fun, probably the highlight of the trip.

All said it was a good trip. There was plenty to see in two and a half days and there were no neo-nazis lurking about.

Saladman posted:

I think long-distance buses are the only thing that I've written that isn't fairly obvious/well-covered by Google-searching about this. Everyone seems to love Eurail and Interail, but buses are a way better deal, and their massive expansion is still pretty recent, e.g. the Deutsche Bahn is being hit hard by a massive expansion of bus usage in Germany. Maybe DB will start offering decent services and run trains on time... but more likely they'll cry to the government and try to get buses regulated / taxed more.

Bus tickets are definitely a lot cheaper for most of Europe, but they are also slow, and uncomfortable for overnight trips. I like taking them for shorter trips, but an interail rail pass is probably a much better investment for someone who is going to be traveling for months at a time.

Edit: bus terminals are almost always located within sight or a couple minute's walk from the central stations. They are terribly advertised, just look for a line of buses with some backpackers standing around outside.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 11, 2016

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Joose Caboose posted:

Tell me about Stockholm/Copenhagen! Considering a short trip in mid-late June probably for 7-10 days and for some reason checking out those two cities is appealing to me a lot right now. How are these cities for a mid-late 20s guy having a great time travelling alone or possibly with one friend? And at that time of year? What are some things I would definitely want to check out? Any interesting day trips?

Primarily interested in just wandering/city exploring, checking out cool architecture. Outdoor activities are of great appeal so any beautiful parks/spots in the cities or cool day trips for short hikes. Definitely into checking out a few interesting museums - currently know nothing about museums in either city. Also like checking out local food/drinks/nightlife. Much more in the relaxed hangout vibe type of places than clubbing, etc. I'm aware that these are generally expensive cities, but is it easy to do a good amount of cool stuff without spending a ton of money?

Copenhagen is a ton of fun, although food and accomodation are quite expensive, especially in the city center. If you're there for more than a couple days, rent a bike. It's cheaper than public transport and the best way to see the city. There's always a cheap-ish shawarma place nearby if you need food on a budget. Alchohol is expensive, but you can just do what all the Danes do in summer and drink in the parks! Public drinking is legal here.

Things that I usually show visitors, in no particular order:
The botanical gardens are very pretty, have an enormous iron greenhouse and FREE

Cisternerne, a giant underground water reservoir that's been turned into an art exhibition. There's a park almost directly across the road from it that might interest you.

Christiania - The "free state" inside Copenhagen, a bunch of parkland and old army barracks that were taken over by hippies in the 60's. It's still nominally independent, and you can find insane diy art-houses, a street of weed vendors (don't buy the pre-rolled joints, they are rear end), as well as live music on the weekends.

Glyptoteket is an eclectic collection of sculpture, paintings egyptian mummies and whatever else the Carlsberg Beer heir thought was cool. The building itself is a really bizarre architectural mish-mash too, fun times.

Other stuff most people want to see are the parliament, Nationalmuseet (vikings), Tivoli and the roundtower.

For outdoors stuff, there are some really nice parks and outdoor areas (H.C. Ørsted park, Dyrehaven, the canals around the inner city). For anything that could conceivably be called "hiking", you're going to have to visit Sweden. For local cafes and stuff, I would suggest exploring the Frederiksberg/Nørrebro neighbourhoods, close to the canals. They are gentrified/gentrifying respectively and have a pretty active nightlife. Lots of fun stuff in the inner city too, but it can be a bit of a tourist trap in places.

For day trips, I would recommend taking the train to Helsingør, a very pretty coast city. Check out Kronborg (Hamlet's castle) and the pedestrian streets. You can also take a short trip across the channel to Malmø, the Swedish tidy version of Copenhagen. Or go to Roskilde and check out the viking museum.

Edit: Regarding The Danes, everybody speaks english, even if some are too shy to say anything. People here are generally very polite to visitors. They are also very reserved, but will suddenly become your best friend after a couple beers. This is normal behaviour!

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 24, 2016

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you can get a native to help you say it smoothly and confidently, "Sorry, I don't speak ____" will get a smile out of almost anybody. Otherwise like HookShot said, just switch to english, it isn't a big deal.

So "Tut mir leid, ich spreche kein deutsch" in German or "Undskyld, jeg taler ikke dansk" in Danish. I looked up the phonetic pronounciation of the Danish phrase below, although I would recommend practicing it with a friendly Dane first:

Undskyld, jeg taler ikke dansk = On'skil, ya'ee tailor 'eek'eh dahnsk

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hah, yeah I was a little optimistic when I said a Danish coach was "recommended". It is a ridiculous language.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A bit late for the pick pocketing discussion, but I have definitely seen them operating in Copenhagen (rarely) and Lisbon but Prague was the only place they were common.

It’s not a big deal if you wear a money belt or even just keep your wallet and documents in your front pockets so long as the clothing is snug against your skin. Basically anything that doesn’t involve your credit cards not being on your body, like a fanny pack :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Saladman posted:

But generally, scams in Europe require some willing assistance by the person being scammed, like grocery scams or the exchange scam that the guy in Prague made a video of. Even being minimally aware that "anyone who approaches and speaks to you, especially if they say it in English, is full of poo poo and trying to take something from you" will avoid like 95% of issues in Europe.

Yeah, I know a ton of Danes who have fallen for that kind of scam. The most common ones I've heard of are variations of the bracelet scam or ludicrously expensive breadsticks/salads that are placed on restaurant tables but aren't a part of their order.

Europe is generally a really safe place! Just watch out for the tourist districts. Also if you're going further south like Turkey, be prepared to pay 4 times the regular price for most things. Its an unofficial foreigner tax. It's still going to be cheap though, the Lira is turbofucked at the moment.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 28, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Awesome suggestions, thanks!

This is six loving twenty so you aren't kidding about Dublin terms but yolo right :)

It was very nice outside today so I just walked around mostly but kntbr way back there should be plenty of time for the museums as well.

I'm not sure if beer prices have changed with all the... stuff going on in the world but when I visited Dublin, locals told me that if a pint of Guiness was under 6, then it isn't a tourist trap.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for sightseeing in Tavira or Southern Portugal in general? Going on a family trip and I'm kind of of a history/architecture nerd, so anything Moorish/Roman is interesting.

Also any lesser known sights in Lisbon or restaurants to recommend in Lisbon? I've already spent some time there and seen most of the major landmarks. Definitely going back to MAAT, but don't have any other plans.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Already done! It was amazing, very much my poo poo.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, Sintra is amazing and 5 days gives you plenty of time to check it out. The moorish castle of course, but Quinte da Regaleira is also deeply weird and cool. It's basically what if a billionaire from 120(?) years ago hired a schizophrenic gardener to build Hogwarts. MAAT is an amazing art museum in Lisbon that's worth checking out. The city itself is beautiful in a decaying grandeur sort of way. You can spend a day just walking up and down the coast of the city.

Get ready to consume excessive amounts of olive oil.

E: One thing I wish I had known before coming there is that some hard drug possession is legal. Not because I like to party, more that you shouldn't be too sketched out when dudes try to sell you coke on the street.

Also there's a huge Nepalese community which means some loving awesome food. See what restaurants you can find on Tripadvisor in your area. Momo is delicious, it's a Nepalese take on dumplings.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 3, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Entropist posted:

Yeah, I think I kept track of it and I was offered like 25 times in one week. It depends on your looks though, some Asian girls who went to the same summer school only got two or three offers. I don't think I've been in any other place with so much blatant street dealing, and I live in Amsterdam.

LMAO yes, apparently I am the drug user in the relationship because my girlfriend never got any offers.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For a lesser known recommendation in Berlin, check out the Boros Foundation. Some fabulously rich eccentric bought one of the old WW2 bunker towers and turned it into a modern art museum. The interior is a weird blend of beautiful and claustrophobic as some of the walls and floors were removed seemingly at random. The owner has a Batman villain style penthouse on top of the bunker

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Got two free days in Amsterdam at the tail-end of a conference. Recommendations for stuff worth seeing? Would like to book a table for some delicious food as well for one of the days.

Spent a couple days there before but all I really remember is the Rijkmuseum (which was great), bedbugs and regretting booking a hostel in the bar district.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 19, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The meatpacking district is great in general for eating out. I like Warpigs' beer selection but for food it's hard to pass up Magasasa which is on the other side of the parking lot. Best dim sum in Denmark (which isn't saying much but its also p good by Toronto standards :v:).

Bollock Monkey posted:

I always hit up the Tropenmuseum, an ethnographic museum that always has good special exhibitions alongside the main collection.

Moeders is fun for traditional Dutch fare, Kartika does delicious rijsttafel.

Cheers! Kartika is right up our alley, we'll definitely check that out.

We're probably going to be biking. I think we're as prepared for that as possible, coming from Copenhagen. Probably the only other city that even comes close to Amsterdam in terms of 2-wheeled commuting. That said, if we do end up taking public transportation is there a 48-hour ticket or metro/museum pass that's worth getting?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 25, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Since we're talking craft beer in Copenhagen, I'd also recommend Søernes Ølbar. They do an awesome job curating good beer, and it's a nice spot to chilll when the sun's out. It isn't a Mikkeller joint, so you'll get to see a bunch of stuff from Denmark's smaller breweries. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189541-d4942859-Reviews-Soernes_Olbar-Copenhagen_Zealand.html The negative reviews are all people outraged that there isn't table service :allears:

This is probably a rant for another thread but Mikkeller is kind of a crapshoot - for every excellent beer they have a weird novelty beer that's more interesting than good. I will never forgive them for that pint of balsamic vinegar IPA

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 25, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

I always hit up the Tropenmuseum, an ethnographic museum that always has good special exhibitions alongside the main collection.

Moeders is fun for traditional Dutch fare, Kartika does delicious rijsttafel.

Trip report:

Kartika was a bust- even though the website is active (and says no reservations), the restaurant is permanently closed.

We found an excellent bar: Foeder’s. Has about 40 craft beers on tap including some crazy cask brews. The bartenders are also really chill.

Tropenmuseum was a good suggestion!

Our best discovery was the Microbe museum besides the zoo. Extremely nerdy but cool exhibits. Got to watch a tardigrade flop around through a microscope (and a bunch of other tiny creatures, the place was packed with lab microscopes we got to use).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What I love about German beer is all the cheap supermarket lager is actually really good. Not some mind-blowing experience but miles beyond what you get in most other countries. Augustiner Lagerbier Helle is probably my all-time favourite piss beer to drink on a hot summer day and its something I found in a random corner store for like 1 euro.

Or go to a St. Pauli bar and get wrecked on Astra with a bunch of football anarchists.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 6, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you're talking single-use packets, it ain't Dijon. It's cheap sausage cart/currywurst mustard, like this: https://www.amazon.com/B%C3%A4hncke-St%C3%A6rk-Sennep-Sharp-Mustard/dp/B07314NL8Y

Pretty strong horseradish-ish taste, has a weird spice undertone as well. It's pretty great. Best in combination with the cheap ketchup they use in Europe too, which has some curry in it and less vinegar than the North American version.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There should probably be a dedicated thread for ESTA, considering how many Western Europeans get refused entry to the US :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've done similar except I always kept an extra dress shirt tucked away. Works great for long hiking trips. Throw on the fancy shirt on day three and go to a nice restaurant or whatevs

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

E: so this isn't only ranting about luggage: Recommendations for day-trips in Majorca? Going to be there for about 10 days in July

A backpack that is carry-on size is plenty for a decent pair of slacks and a dress shirt on top of socks and boxers. Plus a camera/laptop/return bottle of booze depending on what kind of trip it is :v: I recommend rolling up a set of thermal underwear too. Helps if its cold and it takes about as much space as a pair of socks. Also strongly recommend hiking pants that aren't covered with zippers and pockets. Tourist-dad look isn't inevitable.

I had a eureka moment when I realized I could just buy a shirt/pants/shoes etc on arrival, it's pretty fun to do that when arriving in a large city.

Not gonna hate on folks who do pack luggage - I just take a lot of 3-7 day trips in the EU so travelling light is preferable.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 30, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Plenty of folks in the EU go around in rando jackets, that's unexceptional. Usually whatever jacket is trendy in the US is big in Europe one year afterwards.

Carharrt is loving huge right now, if you want to blend in with the hipster crowd. Related, teens and 20-somethings are really into white dad-sneakers but you gotta pair em with loose ankle height khakis and a tucked t-shirt.

Thin merino wool sweaters are warm, small, lightweight and presentable everywhere, pretty great for minimalist travel.

e:

Judgy Fucker posted:

Wearing anything that isn't black, charcoal, or dark brown immediately pegs you as a tourist.

also this

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 30, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm assuming the censored picture had nudity in it. Noted, will give it a try.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Experimentarium is a little out of the way but a lot of fun for children and adults. Lots of interactive science exhibits.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The aquarium in Copenhagen has seals but their enclosure is actually in the ocean which is about as good as it gets. Still an enclosure though.

Slightly more disturbing is the pool full of piranhas because they seem to like taking bites out of each other. Idunno if that's something they normally do though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Zoos are slowly updating their whole basic concepts and doing major construction to make better and more varied enclosures etc. but obviously that costs a lot of money and takes time, so they do it bit by bit and you're bound to turn the corner from a newly opened state-of-the-art artifical savannah or whatever and run into a stained old concrete cube with tiny cages with a sign saying basically "yeah, we know, this is next in line for rebuilding :("

You can also tell that there's one design paradigm that gets adopted everywhere. Every zoo I've been to in recent memory had the same kind of tropical climate bird-and-reptile dome and a pathway running between enclosures styled after an Indian village.

e: Amsterdam does have Micropia, that's pretty unique. shamefully tiny enclosures though

Lmao

I also felt bad watching the research assistent enclosure. They don’t even get a window!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Even with 2 adults and one child, the price was comparable to a plane ticket for going from Paris to Toulouse. We tried it for the novelty.

Strongly recommend booking a sleeper compartment for just you and friends/family. It wasn't a great night's sleep. The rocking and the stranger (We were 3 and the 4th bunk was somebody else) kept me awake. Granted, I sleep poorly at the best of times.

If you are the sort that sleeps soundly or has nostalgia for sleeping on long car trips, it'll probably be fine.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 21, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Isn't Paris - Toulouse like a five hour trip? I generally wouldn't book a night train trip under ten hours, because having the time to actually sleep and wake up slowly is a big deal.

It was about 8 hours from what I recall. Noticeably longer than booking a train in the daytime.

E: we've arrived in Toulouse from different directions by train, bus, car, plane and hiking. Think the only mode of transportation left to try is biking :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 21, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tourist trap Irish pubs are ubiquitous in Europe, but they serve an important purpose.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sadly not Berlin but Rostock has a tiny out of the way museum filled with all sorts of insane home-made submarines and contraptions that people used to cross over the channel to Denmark and Sweden.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ras Het posted:

lol I took a six hour train in Sweden last year and the restaurant car's card machines were broken and Sweden is the most anti-cash country in the world, so the only option was Swish. Which I don't have, because Finland also has it's own country specific system, MobilePay (although that one is developed by DanskeBank so maybe, just maybe, it could also work in Denmark)

You're in luck, it's also the standard in DK.

Mobilepay was a lot of fun back when you could look up politicians' personal phone numbers by trying to send them a couple kroner- Fixed now, for obvious reasons

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve had a lot of difficulty finding peanut M&Ms in Northern Europe. Not the ones with a nut in, the soft ones that taste like Reeses Pieces

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Drone posted:

Anyone got recos for a weekend in Copenhagen? I don't live very far away (about 3ish hours) but have still never been there and am doing a "why not?" Thursday-to-Sunday long weekend trip in a couple weeks.

Things that are cool and good: idk, most anything? Good food, good drinks, cool stuff to see, historical/museums fine, chill live music maybe
Things that don't interest me: clubbing or parties

Food:
for old school Danish smorrebrød, my favourite is Kanalcafeen. It's right across from Christiansborg and a minute from Strøget, so it's a nice lunch stop in the middle of sightseeing. Schønnemann is another classic smørrebrod restaurant.
For non-Danish food, Magasasa Dim Sum in the meatpacking district is quite good. The meatpacking district in general is a lot of fun - a weird combo of restaurant supply stores, restaurants and late night clubs, all in converted warehouses
If you have an adventurous palate, Captain H serves incredibly good/weird North Chinese and Korean food.
For beer, Søernes Ølbar has an awesome rotating selection of Danish microbrews and a nice view of the canals, if the weather is good. Byens Kro is close to Strøget and has over a hundred different beers, mostly German.

Mojo Blues Bar and Jazzhus Montmartre have live music most days.

Attractions:
Danish Design Museum is the big one people go to.
Also Louisiana art museum but that's a half hour train ride outside of the city.
Cisternerne is really cool. The city's old underground water reservoir has been converted into an art exhibition. The exhibits always play with light and sound because the space is so weird.
Skip the mermaid, it's underwhelming and likely crowded with several busloads of Chinese tourists. Apparently H.C. Andersen is big in China.

E: Copenhagen and even Christiania is really safe by North American standards. Maybe don't go there at night unless you want to buy crappy weed off some shady dudes.

Also, reserve seats at restaurants. Danish people loving love to plan everything to the minute, days ahead. Really hard to get a walk-in table, even on some weekdays

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hopefully they do a decent job signposting ETIAS. A bunch of people I know have been refused entry to the US on arrival because they had no idea ESTA was a thing. Admittedly pretty stupid of them but I think a lot of EU folks just take free border entry for granted.