Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Fun things to do in Amsterdam that are a little of the beaten path but not very obscure or anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v7Tpak_gz8

Amsterdam sometimes gets a bad rep because it's very touristic and parts of the inner city centre are dominated by cheap hostels, drunk brits and petty crime. It's more than just whores and weed though! Here's 13 cool things that most tourists miss out on. You can also do them while high if you want to. Do whatever you like. It's Amsterdam, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2kkr0e_dTQ

1. The new public library is awesome just by itself, but it also has a splendid terrace that gives a great view of the city. The restaurant isn't very good, but next to it is a Va Piano, which is surprisingly tasty given that it's a German chain restaurant serving Italian food. But trust me, it's all fresh, you can pick your own ingredients and it's very cheap.
2.'In de Wildeman' isn't just a bar, it's a 'proeflokaal', which translates to something like 'tastingroom'. They've got over two hundred different bottled beers for tasting and another eightteen on tap. The owners are friendly and can tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about beer.
3. Apart from the pretty cool building the NEMO Science museum itself isn't very interesting. It's mostly for kids and like most science musea it all kind of feels instantly dated. The cool thing is the roof. In the summer a miniature artificial beach is created and people sun, drink and generally have a good time.
4. Brouwerij 't IJ is a brewery in a windmill. If you don't think that's awesome I don't know what to tell you. It's absolutely great (though heavy!) stuff too and the next door pub is always full of locals. They also give tours to small groups, which is an infinitely cooler experience than the one they give at the Heineken building.
5. De Negen Straatjes (The Nine little streets) are the heart of Amsterdam's fashion business. Smaller, exclusive brands together with galleries, cafe's and one of the prettiest parts of Amsterdam. This is where people with taste from all over the Netherlands come to shop instead of the gaudy PC Hooftstraat.
6. All English movies are subtitled in The Netherlands so there's no reason not to watch one in the beautiful art deco Tuschinsky Theater. The interior, recently renovated, is itself worth the price of admission. Try to go to a movie in the huge Zaal 1.
7. The Van Gogh is okay but expensive and The Rijksmuseum is taking forever to renovate so instead go to the Amsterdam dependance of the Russian Hermitage. It's got a very good selection of its own and there are always some masterworks on loan from the Hermitage in St. Petersburg.
8. FOAM, Amsterdam's photography museum. Unlike the Hermitage this one is pretty small, you can walk through it in just over an hour, but it's cheap and a lot of fun. It attracts young creatives and the exhibitions change frequently.
9. Most people who have visited Amsterdam have come in contact with the 'kroket', often from the FEBO. Those are disgusting. The real deal can be found at Amsterdam's best bakery: Patisserie Holtkamp. Their shrimp-kroketten are the best in the nation, but they also make the most delicious cakes and other sweet stuff. The royal family is a loyal customer. A couple houses down the street is Mellow Yellow, The Netherlands oldest coffe shop and a chill place.
10. Hap Hmm is pretty much the most authentic place to eat in all of Amsterdam. That isn't exactly a recommendation, because the food is kinda bland, the atmosphere is dusty and if you arrive after seven you're late. It's an old soup kitchen, that still serves typical Dutch food (meat + potatoes + cooked vegetables) for next to nothing and it's one of the last surviving instances of 'real' (but almost extinct) Amsterdam.
11. The Hollandsche Manege in the Vondelstraat. Amsterdam mostly consists of 16th-18th century architecture but this neoclassical riding school is a beautiful example from the 19th century. Freely accessible and with a richly ornate interior it's one of Amsterdam's best kept secrets. You can watch lessons and dressage competitions from the balustrades while drinking a cup of tea from the (kinda lovely) cafe.
12. Tourists and people from outside the city will choose Vertigo at the entrance of the Vondelpark, and even though their terrace is really pretty service is crap and prices way too high. Instead walk a little further to Het Blauwe Theehuis. Packed all year round if the weather is good, a place to completely relax and enjoy a mint tea or a witbier in summer, hot chocolate or something stronger in winter.
13. The Albert Cuyp market is the largest daily market in Europe, and even though other markets in Amsterdam are more varied there's still nothing that beats the Albert Cuyp. Food, antiques, lovely art, crap clothing, busy as hell. There's no place more vibrant than this in the entire country.

Amsterdam doesn't have any landmarks, it's not Paris or New York. It's more a city like Berlin that is meant to be slowly discovered. It's not just one house that's great, it's walking past the canals. Thanks for visiting my city!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-_faqUiWc

Sai fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Nosaj posted:

"The anne frank museum is there and no self respecting amsterdamner would be seen near that thing"

Why is that? Is it because its a tourist heavy location? too much of a downer? Just curious as I'm going to be visiting it in September and my hotel is semi close. (Nadia Hotel).
It's the house and if you read the book as a kid it's cool to see it in real life, but that's about all there is plus some photo's and pages from the book. It's really popular with tourists so there's often lines around the block and it's way too expensive imo.
I mean, I really liked climbing the ESB when I was in NYC for the first time, but you don't want nothing to do with it after that. It's not bad it's just overpriced and the typical tourist thing.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

This is a really cool representation of major spots in The Netherlands.

It's still in a testing phase and there's not much information on it but it looks :3: and it gives a decent overview of the country (I'd add Urk and Arnhem but it's pretty complete).

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

There's a nighttrain between Amsterdam and Copenhagen ( http://www.eurail.com/eurail-hotel-city-nightline ) but it'll probably take 14-16 hours and be about as expensive as a plane ticket.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Once every five years SAIL Amsterdam is held, the largest festival in the world centered around old ships and maritime history. From the 19th to the 23rd of august it's here again. If you like huge historical ships, just spending time on the water and European history it's a good time. It'll probably be hard to get a hotel in that time, but if you're still looking to fill a couple days in your European vacation it's worth trying.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Not exactly Europe, but could someone tell me how expensive Moscow is (compared to major European cities)?

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Sunday Assassin posted:

Which is the good part of Amsterdam?

I'm hopping over there in November for a friend's birthday, and it turns out the hotel my mates have booked into is a) a boat, and b) only accessible by a ferry that stops running at 1am (according to a couple of reviews, anyway). Which doesn't sound all that appealing.

What keywords am I looking for for a hotel that'll be walking distance from stuff? I'm guessing 'by the airport' is a bad sign, right?
I'm guessing it's the Botel. I've never been there but yeah it's really far away and doesn't have a great reputation. Good points are that it's in a very interesting neighbourhood: a part of town that used to be an artist/hippie enclave that's slowly being taken over by more corporate stuff. It's an interesting area to see develop but I don't think you'd find that very exciting as a tourist who just wants to see the city. Also, the distance from the city and the bad connections at night probably make for a pretty tight-knit group. If you really just want to smoke up with some people, go to the city by day, buy some weed, smoke it with other tourists at night in the boat. I wouldn't recommend it it you want something more.

I'd say everything within the blue line is a good neighborhood with quick connections to the centre. A little outside the lines won't hurt either.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

If you want to be in Amsterdam on Queen's Day make sure to reserve accomodation at least three weeks beforehand.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Sunday Assassin posted:

Just realised I never said thanks for this. It was a big help. Booked a solid looking hotel in the area you recommended.

Leaving tomorrow!
Good luck because the weather is gonna be absolute poo poo.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

scr0llwheel posted:

I just started planning for my trip next summer. Right now, we're allotting ~2 weeks and trying to narrow down where to go. Our interests are:

Bruges (already did Brussels)
Amsterdam/Haarlem
Germany: Black Forest, Bavaria, Berlin
Salzburg

(Let me be clear: we're in no way attempting to do all of this in two weeks)

Right now, we're thinking of flying into Amsterdam, working our way east (plane/trains and possibly driving), and flying out of Berlin. I've come up with this (possibly stupid) idea because flying into Frankfurt looks drat expensive while Amsterdam and Berlin are much cheaper.

We're mostly interested in museums, castles, old cities, hiking, and possibly some WWII history. We don't care about clubbing/drinking. What would a reasonable itinerary look like for our timeframe? What should we focus on?
Here's a map with Dutch castles that are open for visitors: http://www.kasteleninnederland.nl/map.php?krt=bzk , most kinda small. I don't know a lot about castles but I think The Muiderslot is the one most often visited by groups and tourists.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

If you're not huge on museums 'and the like', what would you like to do? If you like clubbing I'd spend more days in Berlin and less in Dresden. If you like cycling around I'd spend more days in Amsterdam and less in Salzburg. You're not giving us a lot to work with here.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Desdinova posted:

I'm heading to Amsterdam tomorrow, 5th time there, looking to see some of the more out of the way sites. Also, I'm going for as long as I can manage, if anyone is nearby (I'm planning on visiting Berlin, but beyond that am up for just about anything cheap) and wants a travelling partner let me know: martin . peel @ gmail .com
Really out of the way? Some ideas for places no regular tourist goes:
1. IJburg
Newest borough in Amsterdam. Build on reclaimed land with lots of houses that were designed with complete freedom by their occupants like the canal ring buildings five centuries ago.

Take tram 26 from central station

2. Betondorp
Early 1920's experimental living quarter designed as a dream village for the proletariat. One side of the neighborhood is quite ordinary (bricks), the other is entirely concrete.

Take tram 9 from central station and get out at Brinkstraat

3. Huis te vraag
Overgrown out-of-use cemetary with small paths that's being cared for by two artists and their cats. Public till 17.00

Take tram 2 from central station and get out at Hoofddorpplein, walk south.

4. Landelijk Noord (rural north)
Amsterdam still has some farmland within its borders, including some tiny villages. Holysloot is probably the most visited by Amsterdammers.

These are best accesible by bike, but you can also take the pont from CS to Meeuwenlaan, take bus 38 and get out at Buikslotermeerplein where you take bus 30.

Most of these aren't open or don't have open cafes/restaurants on sunday.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Desdinova posted:

One stereotypical question - where are the cheapest places to drink, and smoke? Do weed prices vary drastically? I can't remember much difference around the centre.

For weed you'll have to ask in TCC, those guys know every shop.

Rojkr is right that cheap drinking means buying beer in a supermarket. In bars two euros or under is cheap, if you're from the us remember tipping a barkeeper isn't customary.

Cheap food (eating under fifteen euros) and staying out of American fastfood chains is also hard, but not impossible.
1. Burgermeester
Amsterdam's local burger chain. Everything is organic and the burgers (6.50-8.50e) are very good. If you're a large eater get a roasted potato on the side. They don't serve fries, which seems to anger some foreigners.
They have three locations throughout the city.

2. Kantjil & de Tijger
Very good Indonesian restaurant with low prices (and you have to eat Indonesian at least once when you're in Amsterdam). When you add a drink and a tip you'll probably exceed the 15e, but not by much. They also have a to go shop that's pretty good where you can get one of those wok boxes for under 6,50.
Restaurant at Spuistraat 291, To Go at NieuweZijds Voorburgwal 342 (both near de Dam).

3. The Pancake Bakery
I kinda begrudingly recommend this one because all tourists I've ever met liked it. I've never been there because pancakes should be eaten in a dirty student kitchen while smoking and drinking beer. Still, most people like it and you can get a large one for ten bucks.
At Prinsengracht 191

And of course there's FEBO (dont go there)

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

NihilismNow posted:

It's Groningen. The Dutch don't do umlauts.
Where did you get those kind of ideeën?

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Saladman posted:

Amsterdam has a total of three museums, all of which can be hit in one day
This is not true. I don't know about the fifty mentioned above but it has at least six major ones and twenty smaller ones that I can name on the top of my head.

quote:

(Rijks, Van Gogh, and Anne Frank; all 3 are tiny).
This is not true. Compared to the Louvre or the MET maybe, but the Rijksmuseum measures up to any museum in any mid/large sized European city (Vienna, Prague, Budapest, etc). Amsterdam has +/- 700.000 people, and comparing it to London or Berlin's musea is insane. It holds up really well compared to the smaller capitals though.

quote:

Not that I'm recommending The Hague either, but I can't imagine why anyone would travel to Amsterdam for anything other than a flight layover or drug tourism. E: Also they [e: will change] their laws Jan 1, [e: 2013], so weed tourism [e: will be] no longer an option for tourists (locals only). AFAIK smart shops are still available to tourists.
This is not true. There is NO political party in Amsterdam in favor of it. The entire measure was thought up to discourage drug tourists from just over the border.

quote:

VVVV E2: You're right, it goes into effect Jan 1, 2013, unless Amsterdam figures out some way around it by then. I guess I misread earlier articles, or they already successfully delayed it a year.
This is not true. You didn't misread articles, you either read lies or didn't read.

Sorry you were hit by cyclists but maybe you should have stayed off the loving cycling paths.

Sai fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Saladman posted:

When I think about anyone who includes Amsterdam in their "list of European cities to see" it's always related to marijuana/shrooms and/or the RLD. I guess since none of those things really interest me, it's no surprise Amsterdam was an overhyped letdown. I can certainly understand how it might be some people's cup of tea. I've probably spent about 10 vacation days there and I never found the charm. E: I mean, it's fine, it's just not on par (as far as 'interesting touristy things to do') with London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Barcelona, etc, but it always seems to match those cities on people's Europe itineraries. Really it would fit more on an itinerary like Zurich, Genoa, Lyon, Hannover, etc, which are all nice but I would only recommend to people after they're really done seeing only Paris, Rome, Berlin, etc.
Of course, if you have a week to 'do Europe' then by all means go to Paris, London and Berlin (maybe Rome). If you have more time you go to Barcelona, Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Milan, Madrid, Vienna, Brussels, Athens, etc. Where Amsterdam ranks near the top imo. Those categories are near incomparable though. A lot of people like Austin, but nobody goes complaining that Austin doesn't measure up to NYC.