Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions of finding good guides in some of the touristy European cities? Whenever we're traveling around the bigger museums it seems like the guides always provide some good context/stories/etc. I'm sure it's also more engaging for kids.

We've had generally good results with a couple of tour guides recommended by Rick Steves.

Specifically, the best guide we've ever had was Francesca in Rome for the Colosseum. This was in 2008 but it looks like she's still going strong:
https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/guides/francesca-caruso

We've also used tours by locals several times with good results, we've only used them in the US but they seem to have pretty good European coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

runawayturtles posted:

My wife recently brought up Stockholm as a potential next trip, so I started working on a small itinerary that also includes Gothenburg and Copenhagen. Haven't gotten too far yet, but seems like it could be a nice 1.5 week trip or so, taking a train between each city.

I was talking to my parents the other day and they highly recommended taking a Baltic cruise instead. Normally I ignore their boomer cruise recommendations, but it does seem kind of appropriate for the Baltic region. Are there any cruises in this area that don't switch ports every single day, trying to cram in as many as possible? It would be cool to spend 2-3 days each at Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Tallinn, for example.

We took a Baltic cruise last summer with more or less a full day in each port but no overnights. It's not how we normally like to travel but it was an interesting way to get a little taste of each city and see where we might want to go back to for an extended visit.

There is a cruising megathread where someone might know but AFAIK most of the itineraries there are going to be one day per port. If you're really interested in Stockholm primarily/specifically you're probably better off skipping the cruise, or see if there is a cruise that starts or ends in Stockholm so you can spend a few focused days there before/after.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Any favorite cafes/lunch/dinner spots people like in Copenhagen/Stockholm?

We really liked this place for lunch when we were in Copenhagen last year.

https://husmannsvinstue.dk