Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

love truncheon
Feb 1, 2006
toot toot!

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm going interrailing for a month. Planned route Copenhagen-Berlin-Amsterdam-London-Paris-Madrid. I'd love some tips on interesting things to do, (because there will be a lot) and whether there are some other cities on the way in the countries included that I would absolutely have to see. I don't want to be stuck on timetables and I'm traveling alone, so beyond the cities I'm going to, the trip is unplanned. So anything goes really.

The trains aren't that great, you are probably better off flying. There are stacks of budget carriers, and most of those flights will count as domestic - check in 30 minutes before your flight.

I just got home from Copenhagen & London, and I've been to Paris, Berlin & Amsterdam so if you've got something specific ask away.

I spent most of the time in Copenhagen drinking, so all i can really recommend is bars (anything that isn't an Irish Pub). If you meet someone from the university try to get invited to a uni bar party. I did, and it was 2KR per drink for as long as you can pretend to be an exchange student :)

You should take a canal hop-on, hop-off tour, it was a really easy way to get around. The metro was pretty efficient but expensive (even for Denmark). There are week-long tourist cards or something that you can buy at the airport to cover public transport, i just walked everywhere. You should check out Tivoli Gardens, they do outdoors concerts and stuff quite often - and it is an amusement park - something i didn't know before i got there. The area around Kongens Nytorv is the more expensive tourist area, try to get out towards the old town, the backstreets off the main pedestrian mall have all the alternative and usually nicer shops & cafes.

London has almost too much to mention, but the London Eye is pretty good. You get the worst 4d "Experience" before you can get on it though. If the weather is good, go to Hyde Park for a walk around. Buckingham palace is surprisingly boring, but a traditional tourist spot. St James park has some amazing food and bars nearby.
Getting round, if you have the time and physical inclination, is quite easy by foot. Get a good map. The tube will vary between fantastic and woeful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

love truncheon
Feb 1, 2006
toot toot!

Fists Up posted:

Also whats the cheapest airline to fly to Iceland?

I doubt anyone is going to be cheaper than Iceland Air - there is a competitor budget iceland carrier too whos name I forget. I took Icelance Air from heathrow to Reykjavik-Keflavík and it was a really good flight - mainly because of a free upgrade to their Saga class.

Theres an Iceland specific thread somewhere in T&T if you are after more specifics

love truncheon
Feb 1, 2006
toot toot!

wins32767 posted:

They knew from their own experience that you can't drop a car off in a different country than the one that you pick it up in but their initial thoughts were that same country/different city were ok.

All the big companies let you drop off in at least neighboring countries (avis, europecar, budget). it can become expensive with fees and sometimes insurance costs, but its easily do-able.