Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Istari posted:

I assumed as much, thanks.

Winter camping is something I've done before, so I know what I'm getting myself into. And I found this site that lists campsites in Europe that are open during winter. Pickings are slim, but there are options.

Also be prepared for some tourist things to be closed during winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Julio Cruz posted:

The Canaries would definitely qualify for good weather but I don't know if there's really much to explore, there's not a lot to do there unless you like beaches, surfing/diving or hiking.

I don't do beaches/watersports and only limited hiking, but I had no problem finding stuff to see for a week (each) in Gran Canaria, Tenerife, La Palma, or Madeira. Gran Canaria has a bunch of pretty towns with colonial churches and mansions, Tenerife has the same and a big volcano you can climb, La Palma has a bunch of telescopes and laws against light pollution - great for star gazing. Madeira is probably the hikiest of the islands, but I only spend a day doing that - other highlights included the annual processing of sugar cane in early May (one place had steam powered grinders!) and whale watching.

After a week though, I felt that I had pretty much seen what I wanted on each island.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I was in Georgia for 10 days 2 years ago. Beautiful country, friendly people, low prices. People in this forum warned me against driving there, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I have a layover at CDG from 1710 to 2205. Do y'all reckon that's enough time to take the train to the Eiffel Tower area and have a little stroll? Are there luggage lockers at CDG?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Yeah, you're probably right. It's me and a few colleagues going Copenhagen-Paris-Luanda (so no customs) and we're just sick of being in CDG for that long. Eh...

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I know very little about Paris, but might it be better to stay on the train until St. Michel? On Google Maps it seems that there is more to see in that area.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Drone posted:

So at least I've narrowed it down to a general area. Any hidden gems in Denmark? Copenhagen seems expensive as hell.

So depending on how far north you want to go, the Jelling monument near Vejle (as previously mentioned) is a fairly big deal.

Anyway, what are you into? History, nature, art?

For nature there is the Wadden Sea national park

For history there is The Frøslev Camp where Danish resistance fighters were imprisoned in WW2, and collaborators (mostly from the German minority) were imprisoned after WW2, Sønderborg Castle with exhibitions on the history of the region, the Tirpitz Museum set in a WW2 gun battery. For a pretty view go for a walk on Knivsbjerg, the focal point of the German minority.

I'm not really into art museums, but Brundlund Slot is supposed to be good.

That's just off the top of my head.

edit: If you want to go for a stroll on a pretty little island there is Barsø. It's only a 15 minute ferry trip.

Per fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 8, 2018

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Whorelord posted:

I'm off on a last minute week long holiday to Georgia (they're in UEFA and Eurovision, they're European). Can anyone whose been tell me if this itinerary looks good/possible (yes it's one of those posts):

Monday: Arrive in Kutaisi at midnight, take bus to Tbilisi at 1:00, arrive in Tbilisi at 6:00 (ish). Drop bags off in hostel, chill day doing some light wandering.
Tuesday: Explore Tbilisi
Wednesday: Day trip to Gori/Uplistsikhe and Mstkheta (may cut Gori depending). Night train from Tbilisi at 21:45, arriving at Zugdidi Station at 6:00
Thursday: Minibus to Mestia from Zugdidi Station, arriving whenever. Afternoon (hopefully) in Mestia, check into guesthouse.
Friday: Hiking around Mestia.
Saturday: Minibus to Kutaisi hopefully arriving in the afternoon.
Sunday: Fly out from Kutaisi early afternoon.

When I went to Georgia I rented a car, so I don't really know how it works with public transport, but I'd say that itinerary looks reasonable.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Anyone been to La Gomera and/or El Hierro in the Canary Islands? What did you do there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Maybe also check out Rundetårn.