Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I just picked up a Fuji X10 from Amazon's warehouse deals site for $430. Totally awesome camera and their "like new" condition meant absolutely impossible to tell it was ever used. I think for the price it'd be tough to beat the images that come off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

soru posted:

I just picked up a Fuji X10 from Amazon's warehouse deals site for $430. Totally awesome camera and their "like new" condition meant absolutely impossible to tell it was ever used. I think for the price it'd be tough to beat the images that come off it.

Congrats on the nice camera. But you have to be careful when exposing highlights, especially I night scenes.

See more here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3340468423/fujifilm-x10-orbs-investigated-does-the-firmware-fix-work/

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

VomitOnLino posted:

Congrats on the nice camera. But you have to be careful when exposing highlights, especially I night scenes.

See more here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3340468423/fujifilm-x10-orbs-investigated-does-the-firmware-fix-work/

Yeah I've been keeping an eye out for that, but it hasn't been nearly as big of a deal for me as the internet makes it out. I shot a concert the first night I had it and didn't see any orbs, and the rest has been well lit (where it doesn't seem to happen).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For those people who care about premium P&S, the new Nokia 808 seem to be an interesting alternative.

Judging from the photo, I would say the IQ is between a X10 and a Nikon 1. You get more detail in day light but it has less dynamic range all around and can hang with the X10 in high ISO up to 400/800?

It definitely has better sensor than a GRDIII, or any 1/1,7" P&S for that matter. Too bad the smartphone part is unusable. If its available on WP7, or Samsung make something similar on Android, I would definitely consider it. But with Symbian, I will wait until it drop below $200.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

soru posted:

Just spent a week in New York with the Fuji X10. It really blew me away; small enough to fit in my coat pocket yet big enough to fit comfortably in my hand, manual zoom, really good low light for a P&S and easily accessible controls. I used it for street shots, tourist shots, bar/club shots, drunken hotel shots, and it was great for all of that. I look forward to bringing it to Europe this summer.

EDIT: As for orbs, I didn't get any in any of my normal shots. The only ones with orbs were the ones I hunted for orbs with.

Brick Card fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 28, 2012

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mister Macys posted:

What would you guys recommend in the $200 and under range?

My planned use:
- daytime/lighted indoor use
- static images for facebook/the forums (food, cat, portraits, etc.)

The budget is pretty much firm, as I don't plan on making it a hobby.
I just need something simple for "around the house" shots, basically, and the occasional holiday.

This is a pretty good deal if you're looking to get a bit geeky with it (GPS included): http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-105779-k-panasonic_dmc_zs10_141_megapixel_digital_camera_black.htm

The ZS-8 isn't much cheaper, and the ZS-10 has AVCHD video which is nice if you plan on shooting lots of HD video. The zoom is incredibly versatile, too.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Later this month I'll be climbing Mt Washington; all snow, 10-20F at best temperature.

I dont really want to take my SLR.

Suggestions for a P&S that can take massive amounts of cold / good battery life / rugged as gently caress? I figure this is a kinda unique case case, so not sure if anyone has any insight.

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 29, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Walked posted:

Later this month I'll be climbing Mt Washington; all snow, 10-20F at best temperature.

I dont really want to take my SLR.

Suggestions for an SLR that can take massive amounts of cold / good battery life / rugged as gently caress? I figure this is a kinda unique case case, so not sure if anyone has any insight.

Budget?

Most SLRs work fine in the cold. The only problem is that battery life can suck (so keep them in your jacket when not in use)

You just need to be careful with condensation

Lots of useful info on the first page of google if you search for "dslr in freezing temperatures" (I am too lazy to retype it for you)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

spog posted:

Budget?

Most SLRs work fine in the cold. The only problem is that battery life can suck (so keep them in your jacket when not in use)

You just need to be careful with condensation

Lots of useful info on the first page of google if you search for "dslr in freezing temperatures" (I am too lazy to retype it for you)

Budget is flexible.

Sadly, I think this falls outside the realm that I'm comfortable hauling my 60D into..

Really, really dont want to take a $900 lens and a $600 body up that.
Temps range from -5F to 20F, with 20-70mph winds; really really not about to risk $1500 in gear on that.

MAYBE if I had a 7D, and an L lens for weather sealing, and I hated money and/or had an insurance policy on the above. Maybe.

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 29, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Walked posted:

Suggestions for an SLR

Dumb question, why are you asking for an SLR in the P&S thread?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Dumb question, why are you asking for an SLR in the P&S thread?

Uh, I'm not. I did make a typo. I DONT want to take my SLR and I'm retarded for typing it how I did. Fixing.

Point is, I dont want to put my SLR getup through that; so I'm looking for a P&S I wont cry if I break and/or can withstand what I'm doing.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Walked posted:

Uh, I'm not. I did make a typo. I DONT want to take my SLR and I'm retarded for typing it how I did. Fixing.

Point is, I dont want to put my SLR getup through that; so I'm looking for a P&S I wont cry if I break and/or can withstand what I'm doing.

I think you need to determine if you want a hardened P&S (if so, the Panasonic TS-3 is probably your best shot) or not. If not, what kind of lens requirements do you have? Do you need to go wide? Zoom? Geotagging could be cool if you're taking pictures in the backwoods. How important is HD video? Do you like features like sweep panoramas, or do you consider that gimmicky? Is RAW capability important? Etc.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Walked posted:

All camera and cellphone use the same LiIon battery. There is no magic battery that can last longer in the cold. You are better of carry a spare battery inside your jacket to keep it warm. As for the snow environment, there is nothing too hash for the 60D to handle. If you are worry just get a SLR rain jacket.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

whatever7 posted:

All camera and cellphone use the same LiIon battery. There is no magic battery that can last longer in the cold. You are better of carry a spare battery inside your jacket to keep it warm. As for the snow environment, there is nothing too hash for the 60D to handle. If you are worry just get a SLR rain jacket.

If he's worried about his expensive DSLR, he could always buy a 450D plus a 28mm and sell them afterwards (or the sigma 30mm and keep it). Smaller and cheaper than the 60D, with comparable image quality.

Personally, I would have more confidence in a low spec DSLR lasting better than any P&S - they seem more durable to me.

And if this is a once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity, you really should take the best sensor you can and a 450D is going to blow away any P&S you can buy.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Radbot posted:

This is a pretty good deal if you're looking to get a bit geeky with it (GPS included): http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-105779-k-panasonic_dmc_zs10_141_megapixel_digital_camera_black.htm

The ZS-8 isn't much cheaper, and the ZS-10 has AVCHD video which is nice if you plan on shooting lots of HD video. The zoom is incredibly versatile, too.

But the image quality on the ZS10 is bad, and it doesn't do well indoors. The new generation of Panasonic superzooms is supposedly better, and the generation before was good, but I'd steer clear of ZS 8 and 10. Canon SX230 or an Ixus are around that budget and better cameras.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ma i married a tuna posted:

But the image quality on the ZS10 is bad, and it doesn't do well indoors. The new generation of Panasonic superzooms is supposedly better, and the generation before was good, but I'd steer clear of ZS 8 and 10. Canon SX230 or an Ixus are around that budget and better cameras.

Just pointing out that there are, indeed, camera choices besides Canons! :)

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Just pointing out that there are, indeed, camera choices besides Canons! :)

There definitely are - it's just that that generation of Panasonic is pretty weak. There's other good cameras in the compact superzoom market (Nikon and Sony especially) but they're $70-$100 more expensive.

IGotNothing
Jul 21, 2004
1 + 1 = 3 (for large values of 1)
Just got myself an S95 with case for $335 (online at Future Shop for any canuck goons)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

whoops

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Hot off the press, Fujifilm promises to fix X10 white orb issue:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/05/Fujifilm-promises-to-fix-x10-white-orb-blooming

...which is nice.

Everything else about the camera has been great so far.
If they can fix the orbs, I'll be happy with the X10 as an only camera.

If not, it'll be my excuse to get an Olympus OM-D...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

This is good to hear since they said the last patch fixed it but it doesn't seem to have done much.

I still like the little guy quite a lot though.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
In mid-April I go on holiday to europe, and I'm wanting a new travel zoom P&S to take with me. Looking at the news a bunch of new cameras are due to be launched really soon in that category.

But my time to buy a new one is running short, and I don't want to grab anything blind. What's considered a reasonable review site when it comes to decent opinions and quick review publication times?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

In mid-April I go on holiday to europe, and I'm wanting a new travel zoom P&S to take with me. Looking at the news a bunch of new cameras are due to be launched really soon in that category.

But my time to buy a new one is running short, and I don't want to grab anything blind. What's considered a reasonable review site when it comes to decent opinions and quick review publication times?

DPreview.com is fantastic.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

DPreview.com is fantastic.

The problem with DPReview is that their P&S reviews are few and far between and with the way the P&S market moves so fast, they're largely a model or two behind. They're really been slipping on the review front in general lately. The reviews are good, but slow in arriving. They still have the Leica M9 listed under "preview".

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

HPL posted:

The problem with DPReview is that their P&S reviews are few and far between and with the way the P&S market moves so fast, they're largely a model or two behind. They're really been slipping on the review front in general lately. The reviews are good, but slow in arriving. They still have the Leica M9 listed under "preview".

The reviews take so long because they are the most thorough and diligent reviewers in the camera world. Their "previews" are better than most other "reviews" on the internet. They probably do need some more staff, since the rate of quality cameras being put out on the market is accelerating dramatically since the advent of mirrorless.

But yes, dpreview doesn't focus on generic crappy P&S #12237, and I don't blame them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NZAmoeba posted:

But my time to buy a new one is running short, and I don't want to grab anything blind. What's considered a reasonable review site when itomes to decent opinions and quick review publication times?

Whats your budget. The best are Fuji X10 and Canon G1X right now.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

whatever7 posted:

Whats your budget. The best are Fuji X10 and Canon G1X right now.

Travel zooms are what I'm looking for, so the ones that have a 10x-15x zoom range and are also about half the price of the ones you mentioned.

Budget's a tricky one to specify as I'm in NZ and we typically get rorted on prices locally, but something like the Canon Powershot 230 HS would be in my range. (unfortunately it's about to be superseded)

And yeah looking through DPReview I could tell that they had very in depth reviews, but took a long rear end time to take a look at the ones that aren't serious enthusiast cameras, which is why I was hoping for an alternate. Just an opinion on which should be the best one of this coming generation is what I'm looking for.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

NZAmoeba posted:

And yeah looking through DPReview I could tell that they had very in depth reviews, but took a long rear end time to take a look at the ones that aren't serious enthusiast cameras, which is why I was hoping for an alternate. Just an opinion on which should be the best one of this coming generation is what I'm looking for.

The Canon S100, Olympus XZ-1 and Fuji X10 are the cream of the crop for P&S cameras. The Panasonic LX5 is good too, but getting long in the tooth. None of them are travel zooms as such, but do provide a decent zoom range with much better low light capability than your classic travel zoom.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

HPL posted:

The Canon S100, Olympus XZ-1 and Fuji X10 are the cream of the crop for P&S cameras. The Panasonic LX5 is good too, but getting long in the tooth. None of them are travel zooms as such, but do provide a decent zoom range with much better low light capability than your classic travel zoom.

I know, but a travel zoom is what I want, as is spending a lot less money than what those cameras cost. Good Photos for Facebook is my goal here.

Basically I want something that would go in a more modern article than this one: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311TravelZoomGroupTest A lot of the cameras in that review have newer versions released or on the way, and I'd feel like a chump by last generation's model (which is stupid considering my current camera is a 5.1MP Nikon that I'm convinced is bulletproof)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NZAmoeba posted:

I know, but a travel zoom is what I want, as is spending a lot less money than what those cameras cost. Good Photos for Facebook is my goal here.

Basically I want something that would go in a more modern article than this one: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311TravelZoomGroupTest A lot of the cameras in that review have newer versions released or on the way, and I'd feel like a chump by last generation's model (which is stupid considering my current camera is a 5.1MP Nikon that I'm convinced is bulletproof)

The only thing I will recommend is an used F100fs. The new stuff you are looking at basically use the same riny 1/2.3" sensor, made by the same ODM (Cosina?), with different brand name stamped on them.

I am sure one of them is slightly better, but nobody will waste time to find out. Why bother?

And no, newer stuff is not always better. Sony's 14mp 1/1.7" sensor was worse than its older 12mp 1/1.7" sensor

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 7, 2012

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

whatever7 posted:

The only thing I will recommend is an used F100fs. The new stuff you are looking at basically use the same riny 1/2.3" sensor, made by the same ODM (Cosina?), with different brand name stamped on them.

I am sure one of them is slightly better, but nobody will waste time to find out. Why bother?

And no, newer stuff is not always better. Sony's 14mp 1/1.7" sensor was worse than its older 12mp 1/1.7" sensor

That's not exactly a pocketable camera, also it's 4 times my budget.

All I want to know is what sedan is better, please stop advising me to buy a sports car second hand. :iiaca:

And that 'new is not always better' part is why I want to find a review site with a quick turnaround so that the reputation of the previous generation isn't my only reference point.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

NZAmoeba posted:

All I want to know is what sedan is better, please stop advising me to buy a sports car second hand. :iiaca:

And that 'new is not always better' part is why I want to find a review site with a quick turnaround so that the reputation of the previous generation isn't my only reference point.

Still totally new to this forum, but perhaps you'd find this site useful? http://snapsort.com/recommend#!general=small,price&lens=zoom&price=300&type=digicam

e: buy a miata

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

To be fair that's the answer you get in hobby boards, and photo websites. You won't find a lot of reviews on Honda Civics or Toyota Corollas. It's hard to arouse interest in AI for advice on buying your next econobox commuter. The advice is the exact same, buy the sedan (P&S) that is in your budget, they're all about the same if you buy a reputable brand and spend what you are willing to spend. Just have a look at the feature set and make sure it does everything you want it to. Image quality is going to have negligible effects, especially at facebook resolution and only have differences at levels that the most hardcore pixel peepers will be able to tell between various point and shoots, which again has little bearing on exactly which point and shoot you want to buy.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 8, 2012

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I recently inherited a Canon G10, and I've been pretty pleased. What can I do to take some of the reflection off these pictures. or is there even anything? I know on an SLR you can just get a polarized filter, but are there any options for point and shoots?

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

NZAmoeba posted:

The follow-up models to the cameras in that test are just now being released, and I would guess that DPreview would do another spread early summer. No good reviews on these new cameras have come out - there's a few things to think about :

- The Sony HX10V is supposed to be faster and have less aggressive noise reduction, which were its predecessor's main flaws. It's also getting an 18mp sensor which is entirely irrelevant, since the previous 16mp was already stupid and ridiculous.
- The Canon SX260 has a 4:3 screen, a dedicated delete button, and a 20X zoom EDIT: and the new processor fixes CA, which was actually a major criticism of the camera

The SX230 and HX9v were some of the best on offer, and it looks like both had pretty minor updates. I've not heard of any major changes in this segment (although Panasonic supposedly decided to bring out a non-terrible camera) but if it was up to me, I'd go to a shop and find out which current gen cam I liked best, and get the update when it comes out.

Or you can get the outgoing model at a huge discount when the new model comes out.

ma i married a tuna fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 8, 2012

Coritani
Aug 5, 2007
I'm going to be doing a bit of travel over the next year or so (hopefully) so I wanted to invest in a nifty P&S. I went into a store today and talked to a salesperson and he told me that if I'm going to be doing much outdoors-ey stuff (taking the camera to a beach, rock climbing, etc) I shouldn't get a Canon but instead go for something like a Lumix FT10. He said that this was because if any sand or grit gets into the camera it can essentially ruin it. How true is this?

My budget is around $300NZ; so I was thinking a Canon SX220HS (simply by following the 'best canon in your budget' advice), does anyone have any experience with this model or have any other recommendations for my budget?

Is there a good site I can look through to find out what to look for in a P&S? I've literally never bought a camera before so I'm totally out of my depth when I'm looking up cameras :(.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NZAmoeba posted:

First of all, s100fs is $200 used on ebay. That was precisely the reason I suggested it

Second, people really don't care which 8-thousand-dollar shitbox car is the best, at least not in the photography world.

Lastly, the reason I said "newer is not always better" was to suggest you just pick the best camera from that review and buy it. There is very little inventive to buy the newer version.

The newer version may be 3% better for $100 more. You know what, the image quality will still get destroyed by a Nokia 808. Don't waste your energy on P&S.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I think I'm going to wait for the Nikon S9300 to come out next week. I'm kinda curious to see how it compares to the S6300, which has the same sensor but 'only' a 10x zoom.

Plus I have a bit of brand loyalty considering how well my aged 5.1MP Nikon has done, such as surviving a kitten pulling it off of a table and then dragging it UP a flight of stairs.

Thanks for the inputs

edit: ^ whatever7, Second hand isn't always great if you care about warranties, also ebay isn't a terribly useful site down here, we have a different website down here that's local, but no one is selling that particular camera. In fact I could only find one place in NZ selling that particular camera for NZ$1200. Meanwhile the S6300 is NZ$300. Also people should probably care about something that costs a few hundred bucks, and you shouldn't be so dismissive in the P&S thread. Heck the computer parts buying thread in SH/SC is a lot more reasonable about getting bang for buck, and staying away from buying quad graphics card setups with liquid nitrogen cooling. You could probably learn from that attitude.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 8, 2012

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

NZAmoeba posted:

Second hand isn't always great if you care about warranties, also ebay isn't a terribly useful site down here, we have a different website down here that's local, but no one is selling that particular camera. In fact I could only find one place in NZ selling that particular camera for NZ$1200.

Well how long does the warranty last in NZ and do you live near a repair centre? If it's 1 or 2 years then it's a personal choice but most cameras can last through the warranty period and then break down. And if you do spend money on the repair, labour will charge you through the roof and by that time might as well get a new consumer point and shoot. Planned obsolescence.

quote:

Meanwhile the S6300 is NZ$300. Also people should probably care about something that costs a few hundred bucks, and you shouldn't be so dismissive in the P&S thread.

The best purchase for you I think is to actually get some books on photography learning composition and exposure.

http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331200756&sr=1-1

Point and shoots are small potatoes in terms of cost for the photography world, real dick waving and "crazy purchases" for the average tourist would be getting a leica, or God Forbid a digital medium format camera.

The most unfortunate thing is that New Zealand and Australia is horrible for shopping.

quote:

Heck the computer parts buying thread in SH/SC is a lot more reasonable about getting bang for buck, and staying away from buying quad graphics card setups with liquid nitrogen cooling. You could probably learn from that attitude.

In SH/SC, there's always "that guy" from time to time who insists on making the hassle to stick with some old hardware and have a frankenstein machine inorder to get his "value" when he should just save some more money and buy a whole new machine.

If you have a new computer your games will definitely load faster, have nicer graphics but with a new cameras your photos will still look like poo poo if you don't know how to use it properly. With computer parts, you can either play the new generation games or you can't. Whereas with cameras, we are all slaves to the sun and the amount of light available. Newer camera technology pushes the envelop of more "extreme situations", low light, high speed shutter, video, etc but during the day all cameras can take decent pictures. Anyways, I hope you can find something you like and have a nice vacation in Europe. Get whatever you are willing to afford and have fun with it. There's no shame in getting hardware a generation behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

Coritani posted:

I'm going to be doing a bit of travel over the next year or so (hopefully) so I wanted to invest in a nifty P&S. I went into a store today and talked to a salesperson and he told me that if I'm going to be doing much outdoors-ey stuff (taking the camera to a beach, rock climbing, etc) I shouldn't get a Canon but instead go for something like a Lumix FT10. He said that this was because if any sand or grit gets into the camera it can essentially ruin it. How true is this?

My budget is around $300NZ; so I was thinking a Canon SX220HS (simply by following the 'best canon in your budget' advice), does anyone have any experience with this model or have any other recommendations for my budget?

Is there a good site I can look through to find out what to look for in a P&S? I've literally never bought a camera before so I'm totally out of my depth when I'm looking up cameras :(.

SX220/230 (same camera without or with GPS) are good cameras. The rule of thumb is useful here. The super-rugged market the salesman was getting you on can be good if you're expecting your cam to get dropped or get wet, but it's not like regular models fall apart when you look at them - just get a case and be careful like a regular person. DPreview is a good site, but they don't review every single P&S that comes out.

• Locked thread