Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

CarrotFlowers posted:

Does anyone know what a fair price for a used s95 is? I just bought mine last Decemeber, hardly use it, and I want to sell mine to my sister. I don't want to rip her off, but I want to make sure it's fair for both of us. I was thinking $300, as the new ones are still going for ~$350 (on boxing day sales) - $400.

She knows nothing about cameras so asking her what she thinks is fair is useless. She's relying on me for this one.

edit: I'm in Canada, which is relevant as I know the s95 was on a wicked deal through Amazon, but it's not available to us.
New-in-box S95s are going for ~$280 on Amazon -- maybe prices are really crazy in Canada for some reason, but I wouldn't go above the Amazon price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

NZAmoeba posted:

Today I went into a store and played around with the Canon IXUS 1100 HS and Canon SX230.

I was interested in these two because I want a travel zoom camera. I would really like a large zoom (10x or more), those ones are within my price point, and I never really do anything fancy with the camera outside of "half press shutter on one area, then pan the camera slightly, keeping that exposure and focus point before taking the picture"

However, the ergonomics of those two cameras was just really bad for me, they felt awkward in my hands. I also really hated the touch screen interface of the IXUS, it just wasn't nearly as responsive as my smartphone, and I kept accidentally hitting the wrong thing.

Is there another brand that does a good travel zoom camera? Anything that has a reputation for toughness is a plus too.

best cameras in the class are sx230, nikon 9100, sony hx9v, all discussed in detail a few pages back. Check out the dpreview travelzoom group test for reviews. I disagree with disss - the pana zs8/ zs10 both have pretty bad image quality. (the previous generation was actually much better) However, the panasonic and canon are much cheaper than the sony or nikon.

ma i married a tuna fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 5, 2012

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug
double post.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I updated the OP a little bit with information that's not two years old. I know most folks don't read the OP of two year old threads. I really haven't kept up on P&S technology very well. My hunch is that there's a lot more competitive options in the price range of the S100 nowdays, but I can't speak very authoritatively. If anyone has anything to add (mini-reviews, etc.) feel free to post it here and I'll try to quote it in the OP.

Thanks to SoundMonkey for updating the subject.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I updated the OP a little bit with information that's not two years old. I know most folks don't read the OP of two year old threads. I really haven't kept up on P&S technology very well. My hunch is that there's a lot more competitive options in the price range of the S100 nowdays, but I can't speak very authoritatively. If anyone has anything to add (mini-reviews, etc.) feel free to post it here and I'll try to quote it in the OP.

Thanks to SoundMonkey for updating the subject.

I'd be happy to do that, but wouldn't it make just as much sense to start a new thread?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just snagged a refurb Powershot G12 for $350 :toot:

Bigger than most but I've got pretty big hands so I can't complain.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

One of my family members is looking to buy a decent camera and I'm thinking I'm going to hook him up on my Canon S95. The question, then, is what should I upgrade to? The S100 isn't compelling to me. I like the Fuji X10 and the Nikon J1 but don't know if it's the way I should go ... suggestions?

Great picture quality and size/pocketability are what's most important to me. I have an SLR for when size isn't an issue, so I guess that's the priority.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 8, 2012

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Finally got the s100, huzzah!

Bang for buck the s95 rocks. I like to take video on the fly and do more video, HDR, panorama and gimicky stuff so that's why I wanted to get the s100. And it's a lot more compact than the Olympus XZ-1. And I like the user interface compared to Fuji x100, Panasonic GF2.

The J1 in my eyes is subpar as a mirrorless system because of its price and 2.7x crop factor. Sure you can use Nikon stuff, but 2.7x makes everything a telephoto unless you want to use it as a fancier lens extender with an lcd screen :catdrugs:

Can't tell you much about the x10, guess I will go to the shop and play around with it some more.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krakkles posted:

One of my family members is looking to buy a decent camera and I'm thinking I'm going to hook him up on my Canon S95. The question, then, is what should I upgrade to? The S100 isn't compelling to me. I like the Fuji X10 and the Nikon J1 but don't know if it's the way I should go ... suggestions?

Great picture quality and size/pocketability are what's most important to me. I have an SLR for when size isn't an issue, so I guess that's the priority.

If you don't want a S100, there isn't much that can interest you.

Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Sigma DP1x.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

whatever7 posted:

If you don't want a S100, there isn't much that can interest you.

Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Sigma DP1x.
It's not so much that I don't want an S100, it just really isn't compelling to me over the S95. I love my S95, I'm just using this as an excuse to upgrade to something else I might want.

Looking like the X10 is the way to go. What's an S95 worth? $250? Edit: Just read back up the page ... lol. So less than $280. I figure if I sell it to him for $200, that makes the X10 pretty palatable, price-wise.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 9, 2012

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Be aware that the x10 has a really annoying quirk of making little white balls on highlights.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pockyless posted:

Be aware that the x10 has a really annoying quirk of making little white balls on highlights.

Thanks for pointing it out. Checked it out, not that worried about it. Sounds like it's a software issue and only happens at low iso in low light situations ... things I'm not likely to combine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My G12 accompanied me to San Antonio since I didn't have the space to pack my DSLR stuff. I have to say I really like it so far. Not really pocketable unless you have a jacket or coat, but love having the 3 dials across the top. Tilt/swivel screen is awesome as well. I'll get a few up when I can.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah- I like the G12. I got my gf an S95 for christmas, and while I love the LCD it really feels way too small in my hands.

Just got a kick out of a new Casio announcement

DP review post posted:

HDR-ART creates artistic photographs

The EX-ZR200 features Casio’s HDR-ART function for enabling anyone to create truly artistic photographs at the press of the shutter button, unlike anything possible with conventional cameras before. The function works by combining continuous shots with differing exposures and performing highly precise image analysis to locally change levels of contrast and color saturation. Users can select from three different processing levels of art effects. The HDR-ART function can also be applied to movies (only one level of art effect available), allowing them to produce dramatic movies from everyday scenes.

3 levels of art, huh? For HDR, it really needs to GO UP TO 11. :rock:

(it actually sounds like it could be fun once in a while).

it also talks about a function to auto-blurring the background. Are these crazy things on all cameras and I've just been ignoring them, or is this new crazy?

edit- not sure if anyone posted the iso tests from the G1X. Looks pretty good.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

whatever7 posted:

$230 Get the new LX5 or s95 deal, or a used Sigma DP1

I guess whatever deal this was is over now? My husband is buying me an S95 as a belated Christmas present, and I can't find it for less than $330.

Which leads me to my next question: Has Canon stopped producing the S95 now that the S100 is out? I'm basically wondering if the current stock is all that's available or if I might be able to wait for prices to drop.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mnemosyne posted:

I guess whatever deal this was is over now? My husband is buying me an S95 as a belated Christmas present, and I can't find it for less than $330.

Which leads me to my next question: Has Canon stopped producing the S95 now that the S100 is out? I'm basically wondering if the current stock is all that's available or if I might be able to wait for prices to drop.

I think it was a gold box deal, not sure how often those pop up.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I think it was a gold box deal, not sure how often those pop up.

It will pop up again when S110 is announce and S100 is discontinued.

You can consider other options. Fuji F550, Canon G12, whatever the Ricoh 1/1.7" sensor model is. Don't buy the 10mp models, they all have lovely 1/2.33" sensor.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 15, 2012

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went and got my wife an s90 off ebay for $180 shipped.. Seems like a solid deal. Now I'm going to need to get an s100 or something in order to not be out-teched! :v:

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
I finally caved and got the Fuji X10. It looks and feels sooooo good in person. Excited to go out shooting with it; finally a point-and-shoot I'll feel good about pulling out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ma i married a tuna posted:

I'd be happy to do that, but wouldn't it make just as much sense to start a new thread?

Doesn't matter either way. I like keeping threads like this open so that people can search them in the for useful information (say they're looking at a used S90, etc.), but it could be time for a new thread.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Im after a cheap point and shoot to take out drinking with me for my holiday

i have a nex 5 which i plan on using for 98% of my photos but id like to pick up a p&s for taking out if i know im going to be heavily drinking

Im going to Thailand and plan on going to a full moon party on the beach (thousands of people, on a beach, insanely drunk) so if it's water resistant it would be cool

has anyone used this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-EasyShare-Sport-Digital-Camera/dp/B004MMF7MS/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326921934&sr=1-18

my old p&s was a canon ixus 960 and it did a good job, but decided to break after getting 1 or 2 grains of sand in it after a beach trip, id like to avoid that since most of its use is going to be on the beach when im drunk

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
From what I've heard/seen secondhand, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 is a pretty good, durable, waterproof camera.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Fujifilm Finepix XP series are sealed up well. I believe all of them are submersible to at least 5 meters.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got a Canon 40D w/ Sigma 18-50mm lens and a 50mm fixed lens. It's a really great Camera, but I really don't seem to use it as much as I'd like due to its relative hugeness. It's not something I can just keep in my daily kit, throw in a bag. I've taken it backpacking, but it adds a ton of weight..

After seeing how great of a camera and compact this S90 is that I picked up for the wife I'm seriously considering selling it and getting another S100.

Trying to come up with reasons why/why not.

I know the ability to use whatever lens I want is great, but it seems like I never budget for extra lenses.. It's a huge investment when an average lens costs as much as an S100.

I could just get the S100, it's not like a money issue as much as.. It seems silly to have the 40D setup around if I'm mostly going to use a P&S.

soy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 22, 2012

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

That's just a personal thing for you, we cant really help here. We can all tell you to buy a 35 or a 50 prime to lighten your kit to carry, but if the body is just too big then sell it and grab a P&S. You can always get back into DSLRs later if you find the need.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to see the same pic taken on a 40d and an s100 side by side.. I tried it with the 40d and the s90, and obviously its pretty noticeable at low light.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

soy posted:

I'd like to see the same pic taken on a 40d and an s100 side by side.. I tried it with the 40d and the s90, and obviously its pretty noticeable at low light.
Obviously you're going to have a larger range of conditions you can shoot in with the slr, but as long as you're within those, it's hard for most to tell the difference. I get compliments on my s95 photos at least as often as on my D7000 - if not more, because I shoot with it more.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on the S100. Just seems way too much more useful to me. Listed my whole kit on Ebay :3:

Going on a two long trips to Europe this year and I just can't see myself hauling the DSLR through there. The whole GPS/Video features totally tickle my fancy as well. Not to mention the simple fact that I can throw a cheap 32gb SD card in there and extra batteries are cheap as hell.

e- Found a dude on craigslist with an unopened gifted one he couldn't return and finagled him down to $360 all in. This camera is loving brilliant. Blown away by the test pics and the build quality.

soy fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 22, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I've been using a Fuji Z800 EXR for around a year now that I bought for near nothing and I find it kind of lacking in terms of image quality. It might be because I'm not using it properly, since I'm a total photography newbie, but I'm usually not fully satisfied with the photos. Lightroom tends to help drastically, though I'm sure I could do better from the camera itself.

What would be a relatively cheap step up from it? Or should I stick with the camera and learn how to use it well?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 31, 2012

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Could you be more specific regarding what you don't like? Are they blurred, out of focus? Colors are dull? Shadows too dark?
Learning to use the camera properly is always the best investment, as it will pay off even when/if you upgrade.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mathturbator posted:

Could you be more specific regarding what you don't like? Are they blurred, out of focus? Colors are dull? Shadows too dark?
Learning to use the camera properly is always the best investment, as it will pay off even when/if you upgrade.
Agreed. It's no x100, but the specs aren't bad. Understanding Exposure might be a good place to start.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, I should learn exposure and how to use lighting properly overall. I'll stick with it for now.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

Speedlighters Handbook has great info about lighting, worth the read/e-purchase.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I bought an S95 on Amazon for $390 not realizing there was an S100. Is there a big difference in image quality between the two units? I don't mind paying for a return and spending the extra $20 if the sensor is drastically improved.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

First Time Caller posted:

I bought an S95 on Amazon for $390 not realizing there was an S100. Is there a big difference in image quality between the two units? I don't mind paying for a return and spending the extra $20 if the sensor is drastically improved.

No, no real difference in image quality at all. Slightly better high ISO performance, however. And a slight ergonomics improvement. Really the only difference that's important is that the s100 is 24 mm instead of 28 mm on the wide end. If wide angle landscape photography is something you'd like to be able to do, then that'd be a good reason to get the s100.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There were some pre-holiday sales on the s95 that pushed it well under $300- not sure when we're likely to see those again, but if you don't need it in a hurry and want to save some money, might be worth returning it now if you'd like a great camera for cheaper.

At the price point you mention, I'd be tempted to get the S100- it has GPS logging which I don't think the s95 has. I haven't ever had a camera that had that but it seems like it could be cool for tagging/organizing photos.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There were some pre-holiday sales on the s95 that pushed it well under $300- not sure when we're likely to see those again, but if you don't need it in a hurry and want to save some money, might be worth returning it now if you'd like a great camera for cheaper.

I don't think it'll happen again. That was Amazon getting rid of its stock of s95s basically. The s95s you see on Amazon now are third party dealers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What would you guys recommend in the $200 and under range?

My planned use:
- daytime/lighted indoor use
- static images for facebook/the forums (food, cat, portraits, etc.)

The budget is pretty much firm, as I don't plan on making it a hobby.
I just need something simple for "around the house" shots, basically, and the occasional holiday.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mister Macys posted:

What would you guys recommend in the $200 and under range?

My planned use:
- daytime/lighted indoor use
- static images for facebook/the forums (food, cat, portraits, etc.)

The budget is pretty much firm, as I don't plan on making it a hobby.
I just need something simple for "around the house" shots, basically, and the occasional holiday.

here you go, comes in several colors:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZGT1GQRY1G0C69M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

First Time Caller posted:

not a great deal, but you did get a great camera. If it bothers you, by all means exchange it - but if you just go off and take pictures with the S95, you're going to really happy with the results. It's a fantastic camera; whether or not you want to get something marginally better is up to you.

• Locked thread