Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coritani
Aug 5, 2007

ma i married a tuna posted:

SX220/230 (same camera without or with GPS) are good cameras. The rule of thumb is useful here. The super-rugged market the salesman was getting you on can be good if you're expecting your cam to get dropped or get wet, but it's not like regular models fall apart when you look at them - just get a case and be careful like a regular person. DPreview is a good site, but they don't review every single P&S that comes out.

Augh. Turns out I was looking at the Australian website of the retailer, so instead of being ~250$, the SX220 is in fact $400 in New Zealand. So I may have to settle for an IXUS220 os SX130IS instead. How much of a downgrade is this? The IXUS220 is tiny, but I'd rather have a camera that shoots good pictures.

Coritani fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Coritani posted:

Augh. Turns out I was looking at the Australian website of the retailer, so instead of being ~250$, the SX220 is in fact $400 in New Zealand. So I may have to settle for an IXUS220 os SX130IS instead. How much of a downgrade is this? The IXUS220 is tiny, but I'd rather have a camera that shoots good pictures.

Man, that's bullshit. Can't you get someone in Australia to mail one to you?

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Coritani posted:

Holy poo poo, if I ever go to NZ, I'll just buy six cameras and flog 'em there to make my money back. The markup vs. the US is like 80-90%. Didn't you want this camera for a vacation though? I'd really consider looking at the prices of where you're headed, instead. (Also, you could consider getting a few cameras, and defray your trip cost!).

You'll have the disadvantage of not being able to learn all the features beforehand, but if you're like most people, you'll either leave it on auto or go to P mode and adjust exposure compensation and ISO, so it won't matter much.

ma i married a tuna fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 9, 2012

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug
double post

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HPL posted:

Man, that's bullshit. Can't you get someone in Australia to mail one to you?
The NZ dollar is really weak compared to the Australian dollar (I think 1 NZD is worth around $0.75 AUD), which accounts for a good chunk of that difference.

Just because the countries are near each other guys doesn't mean the dollars are worth the same thing.

mugrim posted:

I recently inherited a Canon G10, and I've been pretty pleased. What can I do to take some of the reflection off these pictures. or is there even anything? I know on an SLR you can just get a polarized filter, but are there any options for point and shoots?
Honestly if you have a polarizing filter already you could just hold it up to your camera's lens and it would probably do the same thing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm looking to pick up an S95 or S100 in the next month or so. I'm not sure the differences between them are particularly important to me, but if I'm going to pay over $350 for the S95, I'd probably just put in the extra $50 or so to get the S100.

But an S95 in the $250 range due to stock clearance would be great. I missed the Amazon deal back in December, but I'm checking Google Shopper every day or so to see if anyone else is doing a clearance deal. And indeed, CameraPromp is having a weekend sale, S95 for $259.

But I've never heard of those folks. Do they look shady? Is it a bad idea?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

SX220/230 (same camera without or with GPS) are good cameras. The rule of thumb is useful here. The super-rugged market the salesman was getting you on can be good if you're expecting your cam to get dropped or get wet, but it's not like regular models fall apart when you look at them - just get a case and be careful like a regular person. DPreview is a good site, but they don't review every single P&S that comes out.

Seconding this. I've been shooting with an sx230 since february and love it.
Also, If you're brave, you can install CHDK onto a memory card and unlock advanced features like RAW. I did it and I'm quite glad I did.

A couple of flickr references that will let you appreciate the quality of the camera.
See this flickr group for sx220/230 pics:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sx230andsx220/
All of the pics on my flickr account are shot with an sx230, most of them are retouched with either Gimp, Raw Therapee or Aperture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmarsiglietti/

Here's a couple of accessories for the sx220/230 that will be very helpful when traveling:

Canon DCC-1500. It's a magnetic soft camera case that you can install onto your belt. I like how the magnetic fastener allows you to extract the camera quickly with one hand.

Mini tripod (Hama): mighty useful and unobtrusive.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm looking to pick up an S95 or S100 in the next month or so. I'm not sure the differences between them are particularly important to me, but if I'm going to pay over $350 for the S95, I'd probably just put in the extra $50 or so to get the S100.

But an S95 in the $250 range due to stock clearance would be great. I missed the Amazon deal back in December, but I'm checking Google Shopper every day or so to see if anyone else is doing a clearance deal. And indeed, CameraPromp is having a weekend sale, S95 for $259.

googling the name of the site brings up numerous reports of shady business. I wouldn't do it. However, B&H has used S95s for around that price, I think. Their used dept. is extremely reliable, and they accept returns no questions asked.

maxmars posted:

Seconding this. I've been shooting with an sx230 since february and love it.
Also, If you're brave, you can install CHDK onto a memory card and unlock advanced features like RAW. I did it and I'm quite glad I did.

Here's a couple of accessories for the sx220/230 that will be very helpful when traveling:

Canon DCC-1500. It's a magnetic soft camera case that you can install onto your belt. I like how the magnetic fastener allows you to extract the camera quickly with one hand.

Mini tripod (Hama): mighty useful and unobtrusive.

Have you managed to do time-lapse shooting with CHDK? I never got that to work, and it seems fun to play with.

Also, probably the best accessory for a SX220/230 is an extra battery!

ma i married a tuna fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 11, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExcessBLarg! posted:

347 is a New York area cellphone number, that's very scary.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

whatever7 posted:

347 is a New York area cellphone number, that's very scary.
There seem to be a lot of shady electronics sellers from NY that have low prices. The market was similar when buying a TV a year ago. Wild rear end guess: It's not a scam, but the company is shady and has awful/rude customer support.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Dominoes posted:

There seem to be a lot of shady electronics sellers from NY that have low prices. The market was similar when buying a TV a year ago. Wild rear end guess: It's not a scam, but the company is shady and has awful/rude customer support.
Also, your item will mysteriously become "out of stock" if you don't also order every single accessory.

Coritani
Aug 5, 2007
Things turned out much better than expected! I found an SX230HS on clearance for $395NZ, then managed to get the salesperson to bump the price down to $345, including an SD card and a good waterproof case. On top of that, there's a Canon $50 cashback deal going on so in total it'll run me $295 for a camera that normally costs ~$450 here, so I'm stoked. :)

Now I just have to learn how to not take terrible photos!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

FasterThanLight posted:

Also, your item will mysteriously become "out of stock" if you don't also order every single accessory.

Holy poo poo, I've had better service eBaying stuff from China.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Fellow Fuji X-10 owners, we're getting new sensors:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/Fujifil-X10-X-S1-white-disc-cause-and-fixes

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I had an issue and accidentally lost some pictures taken in cr2 format RAW on my s95. I managed to recover them but some of them are corrupt and won't open in Lightroom. Is there some software I can use? Googling around seems to throw up software to undelete pictures rather than showing what is left of corrupt ones and 'restoring' them.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Sad Panda posted:

I had an issue and accidentally lost some pictures taken in cr2 format RAW on my s95. I managed to recover them but some of them are corrupt and won't open in Lightroom. Is there some software I can use? Googling around seems to throw up software to undelete pictures rather than showing what is left of corrupt ones and 'restoring' them.

You're probably just screwed, but did you try opening it with another raw converter? Maybe the standard Canon one will work:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/windows_vista/cameras/eos_slr_camera_systems/canon_raw_codec_software

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Have you managed to do time-lapse shooting with CHDK? I never got that to work, and it seems fun to play with.

Didn't try that yet.

Also, probably the best accessory for a SX220/230 is an extra battery!

Or five. I forgot to mention that since I always carry more than one with any camera (except phone cameras of course).

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
So, thinking of getting the Olympus xz-1 to have with me when I can't/don't want to take my 50D. The nice lens and big aperture are pretty appealing, as is the option to use the evf from the four thirds cameras.

Good choice for £250 ? Had a play with it in the shop and it seemed a great little thing, loved the big chunky control ring around the lens. Only worry is the lack of any kind of grip - seems like it might be kinda droppable.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I've got a nifty little Sony DSC-TX1 up in the buy/sell thread if anyone's interested $120.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Hey wow Fujifilm sent me a free cable release for registering my X10.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Regarding the sensor replacement for the X10 I called Fuji customer service in NJ and they added me to an email list, saying they would email people when the sensor replacement stuff is finalized. It looks like if you pay to ship it to them, they will replace the sensor and ship it back :toot:

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug
I made a new thread, and it lives here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475958

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I made a new thread, and it lives here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475958

This thread is 26 pages long.

That is not a very long thread.

However, feel free to ask the OP to edit the OP of this thread, your post was pretty detailed at least.

Also your thread title is spelled wrong.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
How do the newer sensor, high end compacts with fast lenses (S100, X10, XZ-1) compare to say, a Nikon D40 with kit lens?

I've not managed to find a comparison online yet. But one showing the faster lens advantage and newer sensor tech of the X10 compared to the APS sensor from a few generations ago, but with a slower typical kit lens would be interesting.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

ButtMonkey posted:

This thread is 26 pages long.

That is not a very long thread.

However, feel free to ask the OP to edit the OP of this thread, your post was pretty detailed at least.

Also your thread title is spelled wrong.

We talked about just that a few pages back, though - but I guess that's easily missed. It's fine with me if the content just goes in the OP.

As for the fast lenses vs kit lens - I guess you're asking about bokeh? Sensor size plays a substantial role in that, too, so even larger-sensor point and shoots are at a disadvantage. It's quite possible something like the G1X, with its huge sensor but slower lens, outperforms the f/2 or f/1.8 of the cameras you mention.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
No I don't mean bokeh. Just how far have compacts come when compared to an older dslr. Particularly when a faster lens is involved.

I just thought x10 to D40 would be an interesting comparison at 6mp.

Operating/focusing speed aside

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

mugrim posted:

I recently inherited a Canon G10, and I've been pretty pleased. What can I do to take some of the reflection off these pictures. or is there even anything? I know on an SLR you can just get a polarized filter, but are there any options for point and shoots?

I have to admit, I kinda prefer the reflections.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Arrgh, I've just gone for it. Easter special price of £295, my X10 will be with me early in the week.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Just bought my S100 for $380 + tax via deal thread on SA-Mart, has anyone used CHDK on their cameras and does it make a difference compared to stock firmware in terms of function or IQ?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Island Nation posted:

Just bought my S100 for $380 + tax via deal thread on SA-Mart, has anyone used CHDK on their cameras and does it make a difference compared to stock firmware in terms of function or IQ?

I use it on my 400D DSLR and it gives a handful of very useful functions, such as spot metering and extended bracketing

IQ-wise, the only benefit is that it unlocks 3200 (1600 is the standard max ISO).

It's a reversible change, so worth playing with.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
My mom needs a camera as her old canon sd600 is finally dying. She owns a daycare and takes a lot of pictures of the kids to email parents and needs something that will take pictures fast and takes good pictures in auto. Pictures are mostly taken in tube lit classrooms or outside on the playground. I've stuck with canon for years for P&S recommendations with good luck so I would prefer to stick to them now.

She does not have a problem spending the $400 on the s100 but would it offer any benefits over a 300 hs or a 110 hs for someone who is leaving it in auto mode with basic video needs? She shoots jpeg and emails it out via picassa also. Needs are really pretty much only takes good pictures without using photoshop for post and is fast to take pictures (from it being off to taking a picture and how fast it is ready to take the next picture).

I told her to go find the cheapest price on a canon 300 HS or a canon 110 HS. Should I call her and tell her to get the s100?

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
My apartment burned down almost 2 weeks ago and I've been scrambling to get things replaced. Now I've come to replacing my camera. Last time (2009) I researched for days and got a Canon of some sort, I can't even remember the model, but I did like it. My husband also lost his camera, so we're going to replace both with one (hopefully) nicer one.

We have a maximum of $400 to spend, but we're looking to keep it to around $200. What can you recommend? Our honeymoon is going to be at the beginning of June, so if I need to wait for a new model that's the longest I can wait.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
If you want prices and some model names I just looked this up a little bit ago but you can buy a Canon S100 from amazon or bestbuy for $385. You can buy the Canon 310 HS from costco for $200. Bestbuy has the Canon 300 HS for $150. Most places have the Canon 110 HS for $230.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you want something a little more advanced and don't mind sacrificing size, take a look at the Olympus Pen E-PM1. They're around the $400 mark and designed as a step up for P&S users.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

MeKeV posted:

Arrgh, I've just gone for it. Easter special price of £295, my X10 will be with me early in the week.

Well I've only had an hour or so play with it, but I'm massively impressed, both with the photos and the way it feels and operates.

It's been a good few years since I last bought a P&S, and I'd never had a high end one. And after a few years with my D200 I was a bit wary of dumping that and downsizing. But so far I'm really liking it, except for one thing....

The OVF is really nice to look through, but I'm not sure how useful it's going to be. And I really want it to be useful!

I'll have to keep playing with it for a few days and see if I can get better at guestimating the 'centre' focus point, before deciding if it actually offers anything - and then if not, whether I'd be better off with a m4/3, or going with my original plan of waiting until I can afford the X100.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Size notwithstanding, am I missing out on much by having the Canon G12 instead of the S100?

E: I see a few reviews that aren't wild about the S100's battery life but that's about it.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 10, 2012

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

king of the bongo posted:

If you want prices and some model names I just looked this up a little bit ago but you can buy a Canon S100 from amazon or bestbuy for $385. You can buy the Canon 310 HS from costco for $200. Bestbuy has the Canon 300 HS for $150. Most places have the Canon 110 HS for $230.

I can get a refurbished S95 for $280 from Canon! For that price, is it worth forgoing the S100?

Bestbuy looks like it's the best place to get the Elph 300 series. Are the Elph 500 series cameras any good? They're also in my price range, and a higher number always means better on models, right? :downs:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

dopaMEAN posted:

I can get a refurbished S95 for $280 from Canon! For that price, is it worth forgoing the S100?

Definitely, unless you really want the 24 mm wide angle.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Pillbug

king of the bongo posted:

I told her to go find the cheapest price on a canon 300 HS or a canon 110 HS. Should I call her and tell her to get the s100?

Sounds like you're giving good advice. The s100 is a better camera, but a lot of what's better about it comes from using manual settings and processing RAW. No need to spend $250 on things she has no interest in.

dopaMEAN posted:

We have a maximum of $400 to spend, but we're looking to keep it to around $200. What can you recommend? Our honeymoon is going to be at the beginning of June, so if I need to wait for a new model that's the longest I can wait.

It's hard to tell with the information you're giving here. Since you want just one camera, which is suitable for holidays, I would think a compact superzoom would be interesting. That means a pretty big zoom range, fits in a pocket, and does OK on auto.

Good cameras in that range include the Sony HX9V, Canon SX230 (or the newer SX260)or the Nikon S9100. The Sony has the most technological tricks, the Canon has the best image quality and manual controls, and the Nikon has the best auto modes. They're all good cameras, and all cost less than $300 at the moment.

DJExile posted:

Size notwithstanding, am I missing out on much by having the Canon G12 instead of the S100?

E: I see a few reviews that aren't wild about the S100's battery life but that's about it.

Not in terms of picture quality. The S100 has better video, a wider lens, and GPS, and the smaller form factor, but the G12 is still a really good camera when it comes to P&S picture quality. There's a reason why it still retails for $499 after two years on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

It's hard to tell with the information you're giving here. Since you want just one camera, which is suitable for holidays, I would think a compact superzoom would be interesting. That means a pretty big zoom range, fits in a pocket, and does OK on auto.

I ended up picking up the 300 HS from Bestbuy today, since it was such a great deal at $150. After playing with it a bit, I think I probably made a decent choice. The S100 looked fantastic, but I had to come to terms with the fact that I'm not good at operating cameras, so the manual features aren't worth it. On my last camera my brother adjusted the ISO and it took me 4 months of grainy pictures to realize something was wrong. Maybe some day I'll deserve a really nice camera, but not yet :)

• Locked thread