Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Thanks for the XF1 info! I'll grab a second battery when I place the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deadly_pudding posted:

Thanks for the XF1 info! I'll grab a second battery when I place the order.

Get a mini tripod, like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Metal-Tripod-For-Digital-Camera-Sony-Canon-Nikon-NI5L-/400685603413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4ab91a55

Its actually a lot of fun in the evening. I started out my photography hobby with a Fuji F20.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spog posted:

I dropped my fcuking S90 and bent the metal surround of the front element. Not much - just enough to prevent the lens from retracting fully and therefore breaking the entire camera.

Something tells me that a repair will cost more than the camera is worth. Maybe I'll try tapping it with a bit of wood.

grack posted:

If you've managed to drop the camera on the lens, there's a good chance that more than just the front element is bent.

I mean, go nuts but it's pretty unlikely you'll actually be able to fix it.

I am extremely happy that you were wrong.

I took it to a Canon repair centre - they replaced the 'name plate' (front lens surround). Cost?

£12.

10 mins to do

I am a lucky bastard.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soooo Nikon Rumor says Nikon will make a 83x P&S with a 1" sensor. Yes I double check my math, that's 10 times more zooming power than the Sony's RX10, which is almost as big as a SLR as it is.

Nikon hasn't make a best of the class P&S since what? 8700? What's with all of the sudden the tele power aarm race. They are making a 70-300mm lens for the Nikon 1 too.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

whatever7 posted:

Nikon hasn't make a best of the class P&S since what? 8700? What's with all of the sudden the tele power aarm race. They are making a 70-300mm lens for the Nikon 1 too.

They're trying to make it do something a cell phone won't be able to do.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

whatever7 posted:

Soooo Nikon Rumor says Nikon will make a 83x P&S with a 1" sensor. Yes I double check my math, that's 10 times more zooming power than the Sony's RX10, which is almost as big as a SLR as it is.

The RX10 has a constant f2.8 aperture lens.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

The RX10 has a constant f2.8 aperture lens.

I didn't notice that. I think the smartphones and the success of the RX100 have really thrown a monkey wrench in the high end p&s market. Everybody is coming up with wracky p&s ideas.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I have no doubt it'll be a giant, unwieldy piece of crap unless Nikon does like an f8 at full telephoto.

My bigger concern, however, is if Nikon is using the sensors from the Nikon 1 system because those things are pieces of utter poo poo.

Edit: Should've actually read the post - the long end is 2000M equivalent at f8.5. Yeah, that's gonna be pretty big.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 7, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It IS from the Nikon1 sensor haha. Nikon continue the path of not sourcing Sony sensor.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Would y'all recommend something for my SO?

She's too lazy to fiddle with any manual settings but is tired of her phone's poor performance with macro/low light.

- Small to average size and weight
- Battery must last a whole day of snapping pics and taking short video clips (willing to buy 1 spare if needed, but not preferred)
- Point and shoot ok, no manual functions needed, going to be using auto mode and macro mode
- Good image stabilization, optical zoom, macro focus
- Fast power on and picture taking
- Will definitely be used to take videos, 720p minimum, autofocus/zoom while filming, decent dim room light quality
- Uses miniSD, doesn't require me to buy some brand-exclusive memory card
- Viewfinder would be a huge plus but not required
- Cute colors (pastels, silver, white) would be a plus but not required
- Budget: $250 or less is ideal, but open to spending up to $350.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Virtue posted:

She's too lazy to fiddle with any manual settings but is tired of her phone's poor performance with macro/low light.

- Battery must last a whole day of snapping pics and taking short video clips (willing to buy 1 spare if needed, but not preferred)
- Point and shoot ok, no manual functions needed, going to be using auto mode and macro mode
- Will definitely be used to take videos, 720p minimum, autofocus/zoom while filming, decent dim room light quality

A used DSLR is about the only way to meet most of those critera (think nikon d3000 or pentax k-something). A canon s100 *might* be ok, but you're asking for a hell of a lot.

Also do you really mean miniSD? Who the gently caress uses miniSD.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

whatever7 posted:

It IS from the Nikon1 sensor haha. Nikon continue the path of not sourcing Sony sensor.

God I've shot with two Nikon 1 series cameras and they sensor performance was awful. Terrible rendering of fine detail. The AF performance of that camera with the 1" Sony sensor from the R-series and I'd be all over it, though.

You really are asking a lot from a compact here, so try and prioritize what you want. Oh, and you can pretty well cross off eye-level viewfinder at your price point.

Options in your price range might be Canon S110, Fuji XF1 and Sony W300. Sony will have the best video and longest zoom range, XF1 will be the best in low light and the Canon has a good balance of features. Just about everything in your price range will have decent auto and macro modes and all take standard SD cards.

My personal carry everywhere compact is the XF1 and I love that camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
X20 LF1 used S110/120 or used RX100

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Should I update the thread title then? :v:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Virtue posted:

grack posted:

You really are asking a lot from a compact here, so try and prioritize what you want. Oh, and you can pretty well cross off eye-level viewfinder at your price point.

Options in your price range might be Canon S110, Fuji XF1 and Sony W300. Sony will have the best video and longest zoom range, XF1 will be the best in low light and the Canon has a good balance of features. Just about everything in your price range will have decent auto and macro modes and all take standard SD cards.
Just to comment on the S110, as a new owner: battery life will definitely not be satisfactory for her, few cameras would be, but bear in mind you could always just buy an extra battery and bring it on shoots/excursions. Generally, it's not bad but it's notoriously not great in the S-series.

Strong points of the S110 based on her requirements: size/weight (fantastic), color (I have the silver/white one and it's pretty nice), uses microSD (i.e. non-proprietary), fast power-up and picture taking, good automatic mode with auto-detection of macro. It's also well within budget- I got mine new for $150 on clearance at Costco about a month and a half ago and there is already the (not particularly better) S120 to drive prices down. I'm not really sure about image stabilization/optical zoom)/macro focus. So far all of those have been satisfactory to me, at least, although when you're zoomed into the max of 5x you're stuck with a minimum of f5.9 which, well, it is what it is for the size. It takes HD video at 720 easily at 30fps and at 1080 at 24fps but I don't know about zoom-- I think it has it, as well as autofocus, but I don't use the function much.

The only other downside would be no viewfinder and that it only shoots RAW in manual modes, absolutely not in auto. You're also "paying" for the option of its full manual controls but I'd say it's not much of a downside.

Other considerations that merit mentioning is that it has touchscreen controls (optional) as well as WiFi connectivity which has been pretty good for me, so far. Though it's not especially faster than exporting off the card onto a laptop it is a pretty quick way of getting them onto a smartphone/tablet to share.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 8, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SoundMonkey posted:

Should I update the thread title then? :v:

You should give Sony the credit and change title to RX100. It may not hold the title of best P&S for very long.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The P&S market has more good options than it used to, I think. The RX100 is still the best in my eyes, but it's awfully expensive. For many a used S series is still a good option. The Fuji X10/X20 deserve a mention as well. Between the three I think a person can pick and choose a bit based on what's appealing and where their budget falls.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
An used RX100 is barely 100 more than an used S110.

Ok put this on the title then, "Buy used RX100/S110/X10/XF1/LX5 based on your budget", that pretty much answers 90% of the questions in this thread.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

Thanks for all of your replies. The list was top to bottom in order of importance. She is taking a trip to Korea for a couple of weeks and would like a camera she can carry around all day and not worry about the battery dying. Would a single extra battery with the S110 suffice for a full day's work? And no she didn't mean miniSD. She just didn't want a camera that forces you to buy a special memory card.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Virtue posted:

Thanks for all of your replies. The list was top to bottom in order of importance. She is taking a trip to Korea for a couple of weeks and would like a camera she can carry around all day and not worry about the battery dying. Would a single extra battery with the S110 suffice for a full day's work? And no she didn't mean miniSD. She just didn't want a camera that forces you to buy a special memory card.
The S110 is rated for 200 shots per charge against the CIPA standard (which includes 50% flash shots, I'm told). The other Dorkroom P&S darling, the RX100, is rated on the same scale at 330 shots per charge, so you have an idea. If she's not using flash she'll get somewhat more so I would think that one extra battery should be fine. It takes a little more than 2 hours to fully charge a fully drained S110 battery.

That being said, depends on what a "full day's work" is. If she doesn't work as a photographer, then she'll probably be fine. Hopefully these numbers help.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just get a spare battery. Its like $5 on ebay.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Yeah, for sure, either way, get the extra battery. It's not even proprietary to that model and it's just good to have in a pinch.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Just get a spare battery. Its like $5 on ebay.

Do I have to worry about explodey chinese made ones?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Virtue posted:

Do I have to worry about explodey chinese made ones?

The chances of you having an actual serious problem with a 3rd party battery is infinitesimally small.

So no

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

grack posted:

The chances of you having an actual serious problem with a 3rd party battery is infinitesimally small.

So no

Not only this, but the photive batteries I have for my T4i far outperformed the official Canon battery I got with the camera. For this reason, 60% of the time, I'll go with Photive every time. I'm sure other off-brands are similar, but I can't say for sure.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

mclifford82 posted:

Not only this, but the photive batteries I have for my T4i far outperformed the official Canon battery I got with the camera. For this reason, 60% of the time, I'll go with Photive every time. I'm sure other off-brands are similar, but I can't say for sure.

I have had only great results with Patona batteries. All eight of them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How durable is the Fuji X20? Can I toss it in a messenger and not worry about it getting hosed up or do I need a Powershot or something in that size and put it in a pocket?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

How durable is the Fuji X20? Can I toss it in a messenger and not worry about it getting hosed up or do I need a Powershot or something in that size and put it in a pocket?

I'm having difficulty figuring out why you wouldn't want to take proper care of your things, much less a $500 camera.

Is it truly that difficult to stick it in a small case in said messenger bag?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

grack posted:

I'm having difficulty figuring out why you wouldn't want to take proper care of your things, much less a $500 camera.

It's not too difficult, but I like to know what the limits are. But that raises a secondary question for me too actually. Would I need a case for every camera I could get in that quality/price range anyway? I don't mind getting a case, but I'd much rather have something that I can pull out and have back in my bag in 20 seconds or less. I don't use my current camera much and that's one of the reasons why- I can't just carry it everywhere and snap away quickly and put it back. If I'm going to need a case for every camera regardless, then I'll get the X20, but if I don't need a case for other cameras in that range I might go with one of those, though I am leaning towards the X20 in a case.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Durability of a camera has precisely gently caress all to do with how expensive a camera is and everything to do with how the camera is designed. I've honestly no idea why you would think otherwise.

So unless you're buying a camera that's been specifically designed to be shock and weather resistant (and it will be advertised as such), yes, you should be using a case.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

grack posted:

Durability of a camera has precisely gently caress all to do with how expensive a camera is and everything to do with how the camera is designed. I've honestly no idea why you would think otherwise.

So unless you're buying a camera that's been specifically designed to be shock and weather resistant (and it will be advertised as such), yes, you should be using a case.

Cool thanks! I didn't mean expensive = durable, I was just looking at that it has some kind of magnesium body and wanted to know how far that design went, since it has more protruding parts than slimmer stuff in the same range. On your advice though I'll go ahead and get a case for whatever I get anyways.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

signalnoise posted:

It's not too difficult, but I like to know what the limits are. But that raises a secondary question for me too actually. Would I need a case for every camera I could get in that quality/price range anyway? I don't mind getting a case, but I'd much rather have something that I can pull out and have back in my bag in 20 seconds or less. I don't use my current camera much and that's one of the reasons why- I can't just carry it everywhere and snap away quickly and put it back. If I'm going to need a case for every camera regardless, then I'll get the X20, but if I don't need a case for other cameras in that range I might go with one of those, though I am leaning towards the X20 in a case.

Nobody can possible answer that question no matter how many camera they own. I have owned maybe 10 P&S? I have no idea what the limit is.

get a loose neoprene case if you are extremely lazy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Neopre...=item53fdda5126

If you want to take out the camera fast put it in your jacket pocket not your messenger bag.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

grack posted:

I bought a nice high quality camera precisely because I wanted to be able to throw it into a bag and not worry about it getting messed up.

Cameras are tougher than a lot of people give them credit for!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Sort of related: any recommendations for a decent neck strap for a P&S?

DSLR ones are too bulky, but the 'compact camera' ones on ebay seem to have crappy rings/connectors and I want something that won't break.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I bought a nice high quality camera precisely because I wanted to be able to throw it into a bag and not worry about it getting messed up.

Cameras are tougher than a lot of people give them credit for!

Yeah, to be honest I've never even considered anything "protective" for a DSLR, much less a full case. Throw that poo poo in the backpack and about the worst that can happen is your lens cap gets knocked off.

I've owned a whole bunch of point & shoots though, and since usually their lens-covering mechanism isn't quite as robust as a lens cap, and because you can turn them on by accident pretty easily and if the lens extends into something that can gently caress it up, I usually at least get some lovely neoprene case. I can't see needing much more than a $10 Amazon special though, unless you want to get super autistic about slots for cards and bullshit like that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't be like me.

I ruined a s90, lost s100, trashed s110.

I use messenger bag and point and shoot protective holster and my gear still gets ruined.

It's more about how you throw your camera into your bag and how your bag is organized

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

signalnoise posted:

It does feel very solid. I am using like you are saying, but I don't have loose keys or other dangerous pieces of metal inside the bag. I've added an LCD film because I've had problems with scratches in the past (completely my fault of course).

Also have installed a third party hood + 52mm UV filter to keep the camera without cap but reasonably protected.
This, plus carefully crafted settings (C1 is for bw + hyperfocal), means that I can draw and shoot very quickly. A great thing about this camera is that you turn it on by operating the zoom so your hands are already in place for the shoot. There are no extra gestures involved.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My Mum has a birthday coming up, as well as a big overseas trip to Europe, and I don't want her taking photos with her god drat ipad.

What's a good camera for a 60+ year old? I need very simple, and just reasonable quality, and affordable. I'm splitting with my sister who doesn't have the same budget I do. But her existing camera is an old 5 MP thing that takes fuzzy shots. I'm aiming for between 2-300AUD/NZD, but direct price comparisons to USD don't quite work because ~reasons~

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

NZAmoeba posted:

My Mum has a birthday coming up, as well as a big overseas trip to Europe, and I don't want her taking photos with her god drat ipad.

What's a good camera for a 60+ year old? I need very simple, and just reasonable quality, and affordable. I'm splitting with my sister who doesn't have the same budget I do. But her existing camera is an old 5 MP thing that takes fuzzy shots. I'm aiming for between 2-300AUD/NZD, but direct price comparisons to USD don't quite work because ~reasons~

A Fuji XF1 appears to be in that price range from Ted's Cameras which Google tells me is an Australian camera store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012
I currently have a Ricoh GRD II – which I love – but you can't turn it up past 200ISO or your pictures are full of noise and it's slow, slow, slow. Slow to autofocus, (so I often just stick it at infinity) slow to take a shot, slow to write to the card and always buffering. i'm looking to upgrade but I'm not sure if I want the minor upgrade of a GR IV, if I should jump all the way to the new GR (V), or if there's something else I should be looking at?

I'm looking for a pocketable P&S with a wide-ish (28/35) prime, is full of manual controls, is quick and costs less than £1k. The holy grail would probably be a smaller, digital version of my Fuji Klasse S. Does such a thing exist?

• Locked thread