Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

Sounds like you managed to gently caress the sensor and maybe part of the lens. If it's out of warranty your best option will be to buy a new camera since out of warranty repairs would probably be more than a new camera.

I was worried that was the case. How much would do you think replacing the image sensor would cost? $300 or something?

Ugh, I don't even know what happened. At least if I had dropped it or something, I would know why it broke. Australia's not the cheapest country to get a new camera either... :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chernori posted:

I was worried that was the case. How much would do you think replacing the image sensor would cost? $300 or something?

Ugh, I don't even know what happened. At least if I had dropped it or something, I would know why it broke. Australia's not the cheapest country to get a new camera either... :sigh:

You option is sell it on ebay for $50-$100 or whatever and buy buy an used RX100 for $250-300.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

whatever7 posted:

You option is sell it on ebay for $50-$100 or whatever and buy buy an used RX100 for $250-300.

Right, I guess a new camera it is. Thanks for the advice!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Can anyone recommend a hard case for the RX100 III? I don't care about straps or belt loops or anything as I'll have the camera in my pocket or hand while I'm walking around, but need something for when it's in my backpack when travelling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Can anyone recommend a hard case for the RX100 III? I don't care about straps or belt loops or anything as I'll have the camera in my pocket or hand while I'm walking around, but need something for when it's in my backpack when travelling.

If you have any local camping/sports stores, there are water/crush-proof hard cases that are pretty cheap and work great. Many have rubberized interiors so it won't get banged up in there as well.

E: Hell, I've seen a bunch at Walmart and Target, come to think of it.

E2: Things like these

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 17, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a pelican case that fits it perfectly. Makes it a bit bulky, of course, but it's certainly safe in there.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Has anyone gotten their hands on a G7X yet? I'm in the RX103 vs G7X boat right now and kind of tempted by the extra reach of the Canon. Haven't tried the EVF on the RX103 yet since the local shop only had the mark 2 around.

edit: I wish the X30 had a 1" sensor :(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Camera Store's video review made the RX1003 look like the better choice to me. By like, quite a long way.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I just finished watching that. Sony it is.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
The RX-100M3 is probably the first point and shoot I've used that I'd consider using for serious(ly bad) work.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geektox posted:

The RX-100M3 is probably the first point and shoot I've used that I'd consider using for serious(ly bad) work.

Why? It has bad ergonomic, cost more than a mirrorless system.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

whatever7 posted:

I didn't mean it like, I'm selling my kit and using just the RX100 from now on. But if something comes up and it's the only thing I got on me I won't complain.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Isn't the point of these cameras to be compact though? I may be wrong but from what I've seen, a decent lens on a mirrorless camera bulks it out considerably. Plus, once you factor in the cost of those good lenses you're spending a lot anyway.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Geektox posted:

The Panasonic LX100 looks to be a good contender to that.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lady Gaza posted:

Isn't the point of these cameras to be compact though? I may be wrong but from what I've seen, a decent lens on a mirrorless camera bulks it out considerably. Plus, once you factor in the cost of those good lenses you're spending a lot anyway.

The post I replied to say it could be a serious work camera.

My point is that when you use it for work compactness is not important. Compactness is only valuable (to warranty the cost of a RX1003) if you have specific lifestyle. for example, your job is you have to walk all day outside or something like that.

In fact, I still can't think of any situation I prefer a RX100 over a GR.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
What 3rd party brand batteries are you guys buying? Wasabi? Sterlingtek? Ebay special?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really sure how to reconcile that RX100 vs G7X review with DPReview's conclusion that they didn't really like the shooting experience on the RX100.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you read their G7X impressions? They didn't like the shooting experience there either.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Did you read their G7X impressions? They didn't like the shooting experience there either.

Well then... I wonder if there's any of this that will get fixed in a firmware update.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spoof posted:

What 3rd party brand batteries are you guys buying? Wasabi? Sterlingtek? Ebay special?

It's not a P&S but I run a couple Wasabi batteries in my Olympus OM-D and they've been just fine, especially for the money.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spoof posted:

I buy 2-3 extra batteries on ebay for every camera and phone I own. I usually just pick the cheapest one but try to buy from different vendors. Usually out of 20 batteries I get 1 bad one. I actually have gotten only 1 dud in the last 4 years. Usually they are as good as the OEM.

You pretty much can estimate the actual mah of the battery base on weight.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 22, 2014

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
Does anyone here have any experience/thoughts on the Electronic viewfinder for the RX100? I've been using my RX100II for around two months after not having ever used a proper camera, and I've been really enjoying it. My only gripe is the fact I can only really see what I've shot in proper detail after I've imported it into Lightroom, as the LCD screen is too small for me to see everything in detail when I'm actually taking the photos. I also enjoy using an actual viewfinder on a camera whenever I've used a camera with one, and makes taking photos easier and more enjoyable than having to hold the RX100II awkwardly trying to compose the shot.

Is the EVF worth dropping the money for? I imagine the big issue is that if I can afford to spend the money on the EVF, then I could easily just trade in the RX100 and upgrade to a DSLR. I'm not sure whether I just want to keep a compact that takes good enough quality photos for my needs, or if I should just upgrade. The portability issues of a DSLR won't affect me too badly I think.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
... Or you could sell the rx100 ii and pick up the iii with built in viewfinder.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That is the best choice, because while it's a very nice viewfinder, it's also $350 used. You can sell your camera for $300+ and use the $300 you were going to put on a viewfinder to get the RX100 III new.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
I didn't realise the RX100III had a viewfinder built in! That makes things a lot simpler. Thanks guys.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

After waiting and saving for ages I finally ordered an RX100 III as it dropped price by £50 on Amazon. Super excited.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I would like to buy a point-and-shoot in time for an upcoming vacation in December, but also to have in general as an upgrade from my phone. I'm looking at the RX-100 Mk 3 which, judging by the last few pages of this thread, and pretty much every review out there, is a really amazing camera. What I'm worried about is that I don't know anything about photography (though I'd like to step it up) - would this camera be a total waste for me?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have enough disposable income that the price isn't going to be a problem, it's a great camera even if you aren't a knowledgeable photographer. It's really nice to use and the speed / low light / general image quality improvements over a run of the mill point and shoot will give you better pictures even if you don't know anything.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I bought a RX100M3 last night from Aden Camera in Toronto for $795 CAD as a travel camera and played around with it a bit. There are some things I miss having, coming from the SLR world, like a 'mechanical' zoom and more easily accessible controls. It's definitely a point and shoot but probably the best point and shoot you can buy right now. Low light performance is definitely going to be better than any phone. It's definitely expensive though. If you're ok with the price, it's a great little camera. There are cheaper alternatives in the same form factor if you're willing to give up some optical quality and low-light performance.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I got an RX100M3 the other day, and I'm really impressed it with. I got it as a travel camera too since I never used my DSLR as much as I wanted. My DSLR is really old too (a Nikon D50), so technology-wise the RX100M3 is a big step up for me. If you can afford it I highly recommend it, it's great in low light and even on full auto.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
That said, you can save a couple hundred dollars by getting the mark 1 or mark 2 and still get 90% of what the mark 3 offers.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

spoof posted:

I bought a RX100M3 last night from Aden Camera in Toronto for $795 CAD as a travel camera and played around with it a bit. There are some things I miss having, coming from the SLR world, like a 'mechanical' zoom and more easily accessible controls. It's definitely a point and shoot but probably the best point and shoot you can buy right now. Low light performance is definitely going to be better than any phone. It's definitely expensive though. If you're ok with the price, it's a great little camera. There are cheaper alternatives in the same form factor if you're willing to give up some optical quality and low-light performance.

$795 pre-tax? I'm also in Toronto and thinking of getting an RX100 soon, is Aden Camera reputable enough to save the 100 or so dollars that Ehrnys would get me? Did you try any other stores?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

piratepilates posted:

$795 pre-tax? I'm also in Toronto and thinking of getting an RX100 soon, is Aden Camera reputable enough to save the 100 or so dollars that Ehrnys would get me? Did you try any other stores?

Yea, pre-tax. Worked out to 899.20 after tax and recycling fee. Aden's been around for years and I've bought from them a few times before. They don't do refunds, only exchange, so make sure you're buying what you want. Photoprice didn't show anyone cheaper in Canada, and Aden was cheaper than the US. The other option, which isn't cheaper in this case, is to order from The Camera Store in Calgary. They only make you pay GST regardless of where they ship it. Make sure your credit card has securecode and makes you go through the securecode hoops or they won't process your order though. I have a Capital One card, and they auto-accept securecode transactions without making you go through the hoops of an extra password online and this was not good enough for The Camera Store.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Turns out the Pelican 1010 is not deep enough for an RX100M3. It doesn't feel like it's putting any pressure on the body when you close it, but there's a pretty clear indent in the foam and the lens iris doesn't fully open without help afterwards. :( What's a good, waterproof case in the Pelican style that I can pick up on the way to the airport tomorrow?

Edit: The clear version of the 1010 doesn't have the foam, and people are making custom foam insets that push on the body instead of the lens assembly.

spoof fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 1, 2014

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Thanks for the advice, everyone - I just got an RX100 m3. Now to figure out how to use it (and to learn how to take photographs).

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Read Understanding Exposure and The Photographer's Eye, they're not the best or anything but it's a good start.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Picked up an RX100m3 because we have a baby on the way and I like the idea of being able to have a good camera on me all of the time that's superior to my iPhone 6. I've been playing around with it and am really liking it so far. However, is there anything else out now that I should consider that's better than the RX100 or is it still the top choice in your guys' opinion? I debated the A6000, but being able to keep the RX100 in my coat pocket in the winter or shorts pocket in the summer seems so much more convenient at the cost of a little bit of image quality of a bigger camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only other things I'd consider would be an LX100 or Ricoh GR. I went from an RX100 mk1 to an A6000 to a GR and I'm happiest with the GR by a long way. I don't know that it's the ideal camera for everyone though. I love the image quality, but no flippy screen and slooow autofocus can be a bummer (especially for kid shots). The A6000 and LX100 are enough bigger that I didn't find them convenient for always on me cameras. The GR or RX100 would be on me all the time, while anything else tends to need its own bag.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

powderific posted:

The only other things I'd consider would be an LX100 or Ricoh GR. I went from an RX100 mk1 to an A6000 to a GR and I'm happiest with the GR by a long way. I don't know that it's the ideal camera for everyone though. I love the image quality, but no flippy screen and slooow autofocus can be a bummer (especially for kid shots). The A6000 and LX100 are enough bigger that I didn't find them convenient for always on me cameras. The GR or RX100 would be on me all the time, while anything else tends to need its own bag.

Have you updated your GR's firmware to 4.0? The new high speed setting makes a big difference. It is still slower/less accurate than many other cameras it seems :(

Best user interface ever though, and crazy small for an APS-C sensor and a lens of that quality. I wish it had a 50mm teleconverter too instead of just the 21mm wide angle adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I did the update and it definitely makes the camera useable for me, but the af feels really old school slow compared to the rx100. Still love it though. It's by far my favorite small camera.

• Locked thread