Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My used S90 should arrive today or tomorrow. I'm super excited.

We decided we should probably have pictures of our children that weren't taken on iPhones, but I have basically no idea how to make good things happen. About to backwards delve into the thread and hope to learn something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Take Spime's advice, but even if you don't learn photography, the camera is pretty smart when it comes to making a good exposure. My non photographer girlfriend has one and she can tell the difference between it and cheaper cameras.

I actually picked up Understanding Exposure from the library on my way home that night. I've made the camera do a lot of nice things and I'm devouring anything I can on lighting, toning, composition, etc. I got a half dozen of what I consider really nice shots this weekend (and about 300 awful-to-middling ones).

Of course, all it did was make me start researching DSLRs. You get a little bit of control over things, and all of a sudden all you can think about is how much more control you COULD have.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spime Wrangler posted:

And besides, the S90 gives you just as much control as a DSLR. After Understanding Exposure and maybe an introductory book on composition (The Photographer's Eye is pretty cool) I'd just take pictures and not worry about the camera or read reviews or specs for a few months or a year. If you learn to work with RAW and keep taking pictures of things you care about I guarantee you won't regret waiting to move to a bigger, heavier, and more expensive system. Take your family somewhere beautiful for the weekend instead :)

But what about shallow depth of field!

That is highly reasonable advice, of course. Thanks for the book recommendations. I know I should get more than a weekend into my "actually learning things" phase of photography before spending more money, it's just so tempting because new toys etc etc.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for advising starting off in RAW. Fooling around yesterday we were going from inside to outside shooting and I forgot and left my WB on tungsten and took a couple of really good ones outside before I realized and swapped back over. They were bright blue, but bringing them back into PS at work this morning all I had to do was change a drop-down menu to turn them back the right balance.

And then spend a couple hours reading about post-production and fiddling with sliders and tweaking endlessly forever, of course.

I'm not sure how easy that would be to do in jpeg, but I bet not that easy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Before I really got into photography, I used to think that If I wanted to get serious about it, I had to get an SLR. Now that I know better, I know that's just not true.

A S100 is great starting point if you want to take a deep dive into the photography world. It gives you a lot of control and there is a lot you can do with it. The best part is that you don't have to deal with expensive lenses/gear while you're learning.

I've taken some drat fine pictures on the S90 I picked up six months ago for a hundred bucks. And now that I'm shopping for a SLR, I can do so with a much greater understanding of what I actually want and need.

Plus, if it turned out I hated it and just taking iPhone pics suited me, I was out $100 and not $700 on whatever I ended up getting from Target.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

Just cause the OP is over year old I figured I'd check. I'm looking for a cheap P&S ($100-150), as I don't have time just yet to get into how to actually shoot well, and just want to have something handy for practice that is also high quality. Should I just get an S90 on ebay?

That's exactly what I did and for the exact same reasons, and my little S90 hasn't failed me a bit.

The only downside is I had my copy of Understanding Exposure a week later, and 6 months out I'm researching the best way to spend <$300 on a DSLR setup.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

A quick google suggests it's an error that occurs when either a finger accidentally blocks the flash from popping out, or if it is pushed back instead of the camera retracting it.

This is what always caused mine to give that error, but switching the camera off always fixed it immediately.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My sister is asking about an upgrade to her who-knows-what sony point and shoot, saying she wants better IQ and she's willing to get something bigger if it means better ergonomics and functionality. No lens swapping, though, and under $400.

Is there any reason to give her options other than an X20 and a RX100 mark 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Is a NEX too big for her? You don't need to take the lens off and the new power kit zoom is halfway decent. Otherwise I'd say maybe hold off until you can get the MkII for that price?

Yeah, she really was not into the lens coming off. I ended up suggesting the X20, the RX100.1, the Canon G15, or the Panny LX7. They all seemed to offer something slightly different but all good cameras.

• Locked thread