Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

This is good to hear since they said the last patch fixed it but it doesn't seem to have done much.

I still like the little guy quite a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Regarding the sensor replacement for the X10 I called Fuji customer service in NJ and they added me to an email list, saying they would email people when the sensor replacement stuff is finalized. It looks like if you pay to ship it to them, they will replace the sensor and ship it back :toot:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I had signed up a while back for the X10 sensor replacement list, and just wanted to update anyone with an X10 that it looks like they have their poo poo together with the replacements. I got the email saying to mail it to NJ over the weekend, shipped it out Monday, they emailed me today (Thursday) in the morning saying they'd received the camera and this afternoon saying they'd shipped it back to me via Fedex. I'll post again when I get it back to see how the new sensor does, and see if they cleaned the dust out of the lens like I asked...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I had signed up a while back for the X10 sensor replacement list, and just wanted to update anyone with an X10 that it looks like they have their poo poo together with the replacements. I got the email saying to mail it to NJ over the weekend, shipped it out Monday, they emailed me today (Thursday) in the morning saying they'd received the camera and this afternoon saying they'd shipped it back to me via Fedex. I'll post again when I get it back to see how the new sensor does, and see if they cleaned the dust out of the lens like I asked...

Looks like they sent a whole brand new camera! Haven't gotten the chance to test it, but that's cool of them.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I like it a lot. Great handling and build quality, love the manual zoom and the controls are good with the firmware now giving it two customizable buttons. The rangefinder look is sweet, but I never use the optical viewfinder. I'm slightly colorblind so I like that it puts out great looking color/skintones on its own, with great JPEGs too for my eye-fi card (great at parties, shoots JPEGs straight to my phone so I can email people pictures they like). The built in flash does good fill by default, and the camera is decent enough in low light anyways (only goes down from f2.0 to f2.8 at the long end) with noise only really starting to show up at ISO 1600. It's small enough that I can cram it in my pocket to use as a meter for my meter-less medium format camera. The panorama mode works well for a gimmick, though most of the EXR trickery seems only mildly useful.

Really the only downside for me was the cost; I paid $500 new for mine.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I still like my X10 :colbert:

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 30, 2012

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I need to buy a superzoom for my mom for Christmas. She doesn't need any crazy image quality, but she likes shooting animals on all the walks my parents go on, so a very long optical zoom and a good macro mode would make her happy.

Any models recommended in particular? Am I probably best off waiting for black friday sales?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Posting to say I love my X10 as well. So much that somebody needs to buy it from me cheap so that I can buy an X20...

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Woah, 4.0 firmware for my Ricoh GR has improved low light focusing by a huge amount. This was my biggest complaint, awesome to have it fixed like this... props to Ricoh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

powderific posted:

The only other things I'd consider would be an LX100 or Ricoh GR. I went from an RX100 mk1 to an A6000 to a GR and I'm happiest with the GR by a long way. I don't know that it's the ideal camera for everyone though. I love the image quality, but no flippy screen and slooow autofocus can be a bummer (especially for kid shots). The A6000 and LX100 are enough bigger that I didn't find them convenient for always on me cameras. The GR or RX100 would be on me all the time, while anything else tends to need its own bag.

Have you updated your GR's firmware to 4.0? The new high speed setting makes a big difference. It is still slower/less accurate than many other cameras it seems :(

Best user interface ever though, and crazy small for an APS-C sensor and a lens of that quality. I wish it had a 50mm teleconverter too instead of just the 21mm wide angle adapter.

• Locked thread