Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rolleyes posted:

That's fine and all Mr Kellogg, but the kind of people who misuse coupons generally aren't the type to get embarrassed easily. They prefer to have an adult temper tantrum to let as many people as possible know that they've been 'wronged'.

Yes but now they can't sue for emotional disturbance or whatever crock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

froglet posted:

I got a lot of this at my work. Thankfully I no longer work in retail. Though I find it amusing that there seems to be an inversely proportional correlation between how much courtesy a person thinks they 'deserve' and the proportion of courtesy they receive.

[massive pet peeve]

Your work is what you do while you're at your job. Stop confusing the two.

[/massive pet peeve]

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cheezymadman posted:

pet peeve

I fixed it, please don't subject me to whatever harsh but subtley ironic fate that befalls people who inadvertantly trigger your wrath. :smith:

Also, is it just me or do some people (for some reason senior citizens in particular) come to grocery stores for... nothing. This would be understandable if it were a one-off thing, but there were a few customers who'd arrive, look around for a bit, then leave after letting us check their bags. I honestly have no idea why they kept showing up to the same supermarket several times a week and only buy something on only one of the occasions they stop by. Unless they're lonely and they desperately needed human contact.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 6, 2010

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Had a customer come into my store earlier and buy a can of pepsi, no problems here.

He decides he wants a drinking straw to go with it, he picks up a dozen or so and puts one in his mouth and throws the rest of the perfectly good new clean drinking straws in the trash then smiles at me and walks out.

I wanted to punch him in the face but instead told him to gently caress off and not come back. What kind of ignorant do you have to be to pull that poo poo? A special kind apparently.

Hockey Monkey
May 22, 2010

froglet posted:

I got a lot of this at my last retail job. Thankfully I no longer work there. Though I find it amusing that there seems to be an inversely proportional correlation between how much courtesy a person thinks they 'deserve' and the proportion of courtesy they receive.

Or give.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I currently work as a supervisor at what you Yankees would call an Outlet Store- we sell seconds and overstocks from large UK retailers, as well as our own brands of crappy crap.

This basically means we are a magnet for the elderly, the stupid, and the sheer loving nuts.

The store is in what used to be an indoor market- lots of small independent stalls selling clothes, cheese, pet stuff, local produce etc. For a number of reasons that I've not quite grasped, the market and all it's stalls went under, so the company I now work for moved in, renovated and opened up.

Bear in mind I live in a seaside town that brings in a lot of tourists who have been coming here for years, and therefore LOVE to make a fuss about any changes to their lovely destination.

About 2 weeks after I started this happened:

:) cashier
:raise: me
:tinfoil: mad old man, past retirement age.

*bell goes*
:)"supervisor to tills please"

:raise: What's up?
:) This guy is demanding to speak to a member of management
:raise: (fake smile) Hello sir, how can I help you?
:tinfoil: THIS WAS THE MARKET WASN'T IT?!?!?
:raise: Yes it was, I'm afraid the stalls ceased trading around 4 months ago

He smacks his hand on the counter

:tinfoil: SO YOU BASTARDS BOUGHT THEM OUT DID YOU?!?!?
:raise: ...No, they went out of business and we moved in after the market was shut down. We didn't put anybody out of a job.
:tinfoil: *mutters*
:raise: Pardon?
:tinfoil: (Very Loudly) SO THIS IS THE FACE OF PROGRESS, IS IT? I HAVE HAD IT WITH YOU BIG CORPORATIONS! RARGH RARGH RARGH CAPITALISM RARGH RARGH PROGRESS
:raise: ...Errr
:tinfoil: *storms out*
:) *hides behind counter laughing his rear end off*

Now, I've dealt with many people asking where the stalls went, or 'did this used to be a market?', but this guy was beyond enraged, he was frothing at the mouth like he just caught his daughter masturbating with his toothbrush.

tldr: mad old man comes in, demands to see a manager specifically so he can rant to them about capitalism.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The amount of customers who ignore me(the sole cashier) is seriously starting to bum me out. :smith: I'll greet them, but they'll ignore me and charge straight towards the first male employee. I know where the weed killer is goddamnit, you can ask me.

Also: I got yelled at by a very grumpy old man because I couldn't give him a receipt. For an item he had bought two weeks ago. No, he didn't even have it with him. This was my fault.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

blackswordca posted:

Earlier in the thread people were mentioning problems taking change, I had one guy bring in an old pickled egg jar, one of the huge 6 or 8L ones, full of loose pennies, assuring me that there was enough for his game in there.

When I dropped into Gamestation last week the cashier was busy counting hundreds upon hundreds of pennies. A boy wanted to purchase a Wii and six games with what seemed like a life time's amount of piggy bank savings.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Do I work here? No this is all part of my complex masturbation ritual

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
I worked as a customer service clerk in a big building supplies store when I was in high school, and the amount of absolute idiocy I encountered was astounding. We did steady business with local contractors, who were fabulous compared to the moronic "weekend warriors" who thought they looked authentic by bringing in their shopping lists on pieces of 2x4.

One day I had a huge lineup for returns and my next customer had been muttering and fuming in line for a few minutes already. He had been in earlier in the day, and since all the cashiers were busy I had rung him through, and answered a couple of his questions. When it came to his turn he slammed a brown eavestrough elbow on my desk and growled, "you sold me the wrong thing!" Now, if you don't know, stock eavestrough comes in two colours, brown and white, and a surprising number of people don't know which colour they have on their house when they come to purchase more, so I said, "ok, just go ahead and grab a white one and let me know when you're leaving." With utter disdain he said, "NO, look, you sold me a left elbow, and I needed a right elbow!" There was one of my favourite contractors in line behind him, and we made eye contact when my customer said that... and I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. So I picked up the elbow, flipped it over, set it down, and said, "like that?" The entire lineup of people broke out into laughter, and the guy grabbed his "left elbow" and ran out of the store.

Another time, the store had a promotion on keychain garage door openers to get rid of the two gaudiest colours that didn't sell - bright green and fluorescent orange. Now for some reason the green ones didn't always work, probably because they were $2.50 and not a reliable brand. Anyways, quite a few people had been bringing the green ones back, and it was easy enough to trade them out for the orange ones. So I get a guy at my desk who is spitting angry that his orange keychain doesn't work, because he's traded it out three times already. I offered him a refund, but he said something about what a good deal it was and how he just wanted one that works. Fine. I suggested that he go to the hardware department to see if he's programming it correctly, and maybe the hardware guy has some tips he hasn't considered. He says, "what do you mean programming?" And I explained that had he read the instructions, they would have told him that his garage door mechanism at home has a four-digit code attached to it, and he just needs to program that code in the keychain opener to make it work. The situation started to escalate because he kept telling me that the opener was broken and he wanted a new one... until I figured out that he didn't actually have a garage door opener installed at home. He apparently figured that a $2.50 device from the store would somehow, magically, open his, and only his, garage door! Wow. Once I made him understand how things worked, he turned beet red and ran out of the store without his keychain and I never saw him again.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I had a kid(Re:18 and just got into college) who bought a copy of Just Cause 2 for PC. He was told to make sure his computer could run the game before installing it. He called the next day and said he was having DirectX issues. After about 20-40 minutes on the phone with him I pegged down that his Dell Laptop had on board graphics that in no way could handle the game. I told him to bring in the receipt, game, and laptop and I would see if there was anything I could do. I asked him to come that day.

Yesterday, two days later, he called in saying he was having issues. Thankfully I answered the phone and talked him another 10 or 20 minutes explaining that the Comcast worker who told him his graphics were "top of the line" wasn't correct. I typed the full error code into Google(which I had asked him to do over the phone when he said he didn't understand and couldn't get any results to his issue to show up on any sites at all) and it was the first result on the official site for the game.

After explaining that his computer just wasn't up to snuff, and replacing the graphics card on his laptop would be massively more trouble than it would be worth(Re: Random cheap Dell laptop, yeah sorry dude) I tried to see if I could return the game. I checked his Laptop a bit and saw that he had sadly registered the game via Steam(only way to install a box copy) and thus I wouldn't be able to return the game for him, and the best I could do is sell him back the game he traded in at the price we paid for it(which was $25 less than we were selling it for to others.) He said he understood and left.

It was finally over. Until his mother came in and said we should be held responsible that the game didn't work. We explained that it wasn't a matter of the game not working but his computer not being good enough to run it, and we made sure to inform him before hand to make sure it would work before opening the box. She left in a huff before she would agree and I'm honestly sad I wasn't able to help them more.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Yesterday someone ordered 10 bottles of prune juice, 3 enemas, toilet paper, and an air freshener.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

AlmightyBob posted:

Yesterday someone ordered 10 bottles of prune juice, 3 enemas, toilet paper, and an air freshener.

I was a worker drone for CVS Pharmacy for a year and this was essentially every day for me.

I got used to people putting the weirdest combinations of poo poo after awhile - the only funny customers became the ironic combinations. My favorite was a mid-20s guy who bought a box of condoms, a 12 pack of beer, a pregnancy test, and a paternity test.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
You have to be properly prepared.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I was a worker drone for CVS Pharmacy for a year and this was essentially every day for me.

I got used to people putting the weirdest combinations of poo poo after awhile - the only funny customers became the ironic combinations. My favorite was a mid-20s guy who bought a box of condoms, a 12 pack of beer, a pregnancy test, and a paternity test.

They sell paternity tests at your CVS?

Are you next door to the set of Maury Povich?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
After a late night of drinking, my friends and I decided to walk to Walmart at 4 in the morning to buy a chocolate cake. We get to the register and the old man in front of us looked at us and said, "Getting breakfast? Looks good!". I looked down at his items, bullets for a revolver and a bottle of antacid. I replied, "Yah, it looks like you got the breakfast of champions too."

Another time, the wife and I were grocery shopping at a different Walmart and some lady was pushing her nearly empty basket while her 3 kids were running around her yelling. We looked in her basket: 6 pack of wine coolers, 2 dozen cupcakes, and about 20 packages of ramen noodles. :pwn:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
God loving drat I hate online retail employment applications, nevermind that I hate the fact that I need a retail job to make any money with my useless degree. I just spent half an hour dealing with this one site. Once I finished the 90-loving-question "assessment" it kicked me back to the main page and said that I hadn't completed the assessment. And the questions are the most degrading poo poo imaginable.

47: Your supervisor has suggested that he wishes to take a poo poo in your mouth. How do you feel about this?

A. I would rather maintain my dignity than keep working here! I will quit and seek employment elsewhere (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

B. I would suggest that another associate has a much prettier mouth, and would receive his poo poo better than mine (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

C. I would love for my supervisor to poo poo in my mouth, and would receive it with pride! I might even get a boner (this is the correct response)!

But as of now there are at least ten retail outlets that believe I'm some sort of retail Jesus, walking down the isles in my shimmering uniform polo shirt and making the sin of customer dissatisfaction vanish as though it never was. And should a customer want to nail me to a cross, my one reply will be a smile and my heartfelt thanks.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

God loving drat I hate online retail employment applications, nevermind that I hate the fact that I need a retail job to make any money with my useless degree. I just spent half an hour dealing with this one site. Once I finished the 90-loving-question "assessment" it kicked me back to the main page and said that I hadn't completed the assessment. And the questions are the most degrading poo poo imaginable.

47: Your supervisor has suggested that he wishes to take a poo poo in your mouth. How do you feel about this?

A. I would rather maintain my dignity than keep working here! I will quit and seek employment elsewhere (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

B. I would suggest that another associate has a much prettier mouth, and would receive his poo poo better than mine (this answer will immediately disqualify you from employment).

C. I would love for my supervisor to poo poo in my mouth, and would receive it with pride! I might even get a boner (this is the correct response)!

But as of now there are at least ten retail outlets that believe I'm some sort of retail Jesus, walking down the isles in my shimmering uniform polo shirt and making the sin of customer dissatisfaction vanish as though it never was. And should a customer want to nail me to a cross, my one reply will be a smile and my heartfelt thanks.

I found out today that I have to fill out both Bronze and Silver 'workbooks' for my supervisor job.

These include such riveting tasks as naming every member of high level management, and explaining what 'good customer service' is and how I employ it.

The best bit by far is the end of book 'project';

"Go to two nearby stores owned by different companies, and, in no less than 2 pages, explain how they merchandise their stock and how good their customer service etc is"

So... go spy on competitors and produce a report on them.

This is what happens when upper management consists of a lot of people from very different backgrounds (ranging from Arcadia and Marks and Spencer through to Lidl) who all want to make the company like where they used to work, but can't actually agree with one another on how to make it viable.

EDIT: WOOOOOO Go useless degrees!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Almost quit my job today. The dipshit that was suspended for needing to be called and woken up 5 fridays in a row just got moved to seafood which means he will now be making almost twice as much as me, with better hours and an easier job. I have never once been late AND have almost 4 years seniority over him.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

AlmightyBob posted:

Almost quit my job today. The dipshit that was suspended for needing to be called and woken up 5 fridays in a row just got moved to seafood which means he will now be making almost twice as much as me, with better hours and an easier job. I have never once been late AND have almost 4 years seniority over him.

Is he related to someone high up in the company? I had a summer job in a lovely warehouse that had been all but abandoned for years putting cardboard displays together for minimum wage. One of the guys working with me was the company president's grandson--and he was an absolutely legendary fuckup. We had betting pools to decide how late he would be every day. Eventually our supervisor offered him five dollars a day to show up to work on time. He dressed like a gangster despite being a scrawny little white guy, ran out of gas in a McDonald's drive-through one day during lunch, was extremely weak and couldn't do half the poo poo anyone else could, and was notorious for getting caught by his mom after falling asleep while jerking off in front of his computer. Even his girlfriend made fun of him for being a lovely lay.

He got paid for all of the hours he was supposed to work, and made at least $9.00 per hour--which was substantially above minimum wage at the time.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Heard this thread moved out of GBS, finally found it.

Been working at my gas station/7-11 (it's a combined thing) for about 2 and a half years now. Recently, I've caught myself hating almost every person who steps through the front doors.

No I can't help you check your tire pressure, as you can pretty obviously see I have a line and I'll be all alone here until closing time.
No I can't help you fill various fluids in your car, I still have a line and even if I didn't I can't leave the store empty.
No I have no loving idea what type of lamp your -87 Toyota Obscure Model needs in its braking light socket. What makes you think I have indexed every type of lamp in every car ever?

And since we became a 7-11 we also sell various types of premade food that is overpriced and tastes like garbage. Yet people seem to need it so DESPERATELY. It's almost funny how angry people get when they come in and find I've started cleaning up half an hour before we close because I have to. I have two ovens, two bakery sections (or whatever you call the places where you put bakery goods) and an entire grill to clean.

To kick in an open door: People who put their payment on the counter, then expect to get their change in their hand. If I'm not holding out my hand to begin with it's okay, but if you purposely place it on the counter next to my hand I assume that's how you want to handle transactions. Best one was when someone placed a bill on the counter next to my hand, got coins for change and held open the coin pocket of his wallet for me to toss his change into. Yeah that's not how this works.

I hate my job so much simply because of the customers. Luckily I have another job lined up, as long as it pays the same I am never sticking my butt behind that counter again.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Is he related to someone high up in the company? I had a summer job in a lovely warehouse that had been all but abandoned for years putting cardboard displays together for minimum wage. One of the guys working with me was the company president's grandson--and he was an absolutely legendary fuckup. We had betting pools to decide how late he would be every day. Eventually our supervisor offered him five dollars a day to show up to work on time. He dressed like a gangster despite being a scrawny little white guy, ran out of gas in a McDonald's drive-through one day during lunch, was extremely weak and couldn't do half the poo poo anyone else could, and was notorious for getting caught by his mom after falling asleep while jerking off in front of his computer. Even his girlfriend made fun of him for being a lovely lay.

He got paid for all of the hours he was supposed to work, and made at least $9.00 per hour--which was substantially above minimum wage at the time.

No he isn't related to anyone, and I think they are moving him there just so he stops loving up my department.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The dipshit didn't come back from lunch today. I hope he gets fired for this bullshit

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Oh man I hate that poo poo. Even worse is the on-boarding training some places make you go through. I just took a part time retail job while I wait to find a full time job and I had to go through the computer training today. Christ, I had to watch a forty loving five minute video on how to properly make a sandwhich and then take a test on it afterwards. I've worked in retail for 6 years and this poo poo takes the cake.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

The amount of customers who ignore me(the sole cashier) is seriously starting to bum me out. :smith: I'll greet them, but they'll ignore me and charge straight towards the first male employee. I know where the weed killer is goddamnit, you can ask me.

Also: I got yelled at by a very grumpy old man because I couldn't give him a receipt. For an item he had bought two weeks ago. No, he didn't even have it with him. This was my fault.

Do you work on commission? Because, if not, you are very lucky not having to deal with customers.

Edit: Oh you're a cashier, so you probably don't' get commissions anyway. But nevertheless, count your blessings.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 20, 2010

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I don't get many total dickhole customers normally, it just bums me out to be completely ignored. :(

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I hate every single person that comes through my line at the grocery store and doesn't have their "advantage card" with them for whatever loving reason. Especially when there's a line 4 deep and they want me to look their card up for them to get their points and save 20 cents off their purchase that totals $10. gently caress you.

And for gently caress's sake can the people going through the line of the register behind me stay out of my loving space please?? Jesus Christ you faggots I have a 4x2 foot area that I have to stay in for 8 hours of my day. I swear to god my blood absolutely boils every time I take a half step in any direction and bump into a customer going through the line behind me. They always unload their car in the most retarded way and then use my space to stand in while getting their cart situated to where they'd like it.

And I know this is a personal pet peeve that I probably am out of line with, but if you tell me how to bag your groceries you can go gently caress right off and bag them yourself. "Put all the cold stuff together." Well no poo poo you loving asswipe. Thank god you told me that as I was just about to set your gallon of milk atop your bread as I'm obviously so stupid that I need your play-by-play help to get this job done that I do a hundred times a night.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

The Robins Taley posted:

And I know this is a personal pet peeve that I probably am out of line with, but if you tell me how to bag your groceries you can go gently caress right off and bag them yourself. "Put all the cold stuff together." Well no poo poo you loving asswipe. Thank god you told me that as I was just about to set your gallon of milk atop your bread as I'm obviously so stupid that I need your play-by-play help to get this job done that I do a hundred times a night.

The problem is, we don't know if it is you or some total moron, so we have to play it safe :(

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Part-Time Robot posted:

It's now time for every bookseller's least favorite question:

"Do you sell non-fiction here?"

A woman asked me this last night and I just kind of gaped at her. I don't get this question often, but when I do it's always kind of mind-boggling. I always ask "what kind of non-fiction?" to see what they're specifically looking for, but she just got angry and said "ANY!" People, a bookstore is not an elementary school library -- we don't have two big sections labeled "fiction" and "non-fiction."

I think the next time I get this question, I'm going to use my boss's answer: "Everything but the fiction section is non-fiction." That'll make 'em :psyboom:.
I get a variation on this one. They'll ask, "Where's the Non-Fiction?" If I ask them to be any more specific, all the can respond with is, "Just Non-Fiction". :doh: Luckily, we've got two floors and most of the non-fiction sections are downstairs. So I'll tell them that and it'll usually be right.

They'll sigh about having to walk all the way down there, but do it anyway. Then they'll come back up because they were looking for a religious book, and that section's upstairs. Bonus points if they wanted arts or crafts books, because you have to walk past those sections to get to the stairs down. Double bonus points if they wanted cooking, since that section's right by the cashwrap where I was standing to answer their question. (All of these have happened multiple times) Be specific when you ask these questions, people!

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

alreadybeen posted:

The problem is, we don't know if it is you or some total moron, so we have to play it safe :(

I get it. If the customer is nice about it and is PRESENT during the transaction, I don't let it bother me. But usually the people who tell me this have a laundry list of other annoying poo poo that they worry about me doing just right, and then when it comes time to pay they all of a sudden need cigarettes (which are in a locked cabinet on a wall at the opposite end of the registers), or they don't have their advantage card and can I please go look it up, or they decide to pay with a check but don't have any part of it filled out yet let alone out of their purse, etc. All of this while holding up a line 5 carts deep--the very line they just waited in doing absolutely nothing to prepare for the transaction. Bonus points if they complain about the wait time. It's just customer after customer after customer.

I work at a nicer grocery store chain in a very affluent area. After work the other night I had to run to wal-mart to pick something up. The look in the dead, soul-less eyes of that cashier will haunt me forever. I feel bad for ever complaining about my job. It could be so much worse.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

The Robins Taley posted:

I work at a nicer grocery store chain in a very affluent area. After work the other night I had to run to wal-mart to pick something up. The look in the dead, soul-less eyes of that cashier will haunt me forever. I feel bad for ever complaining about my job. It could be so much worse.

The wal-mart I work at isn't so bad. Yes I get the occasional whack job but most people are cool. best of all people don't have to fill the check out, because the reader will do it for them and we usually just give it back. NOw only if I could get more than 25 hours a week I could actually get bills paid.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I started working part time in a deli at Safeway today while I look for a full time job.

On the first loving day, I got bitched about because I had a secret shopper, and although I got everything else done correctly(greeting, suggestive selling, thanking them), I didn't "engage" or converse with the customer.

What does this entail? I have to loving start talking about whatever product they are buying or start a conversation, for example "Oh this ham is great, I like to eat it all the time." I'm sorry, but that kind of poo poo has always seemed canned and retarded to me, and I refused to loving force that on anyone unless its a naturally occurring conversation.

I'm seriously considering going in tomorrow and quitting on the spot, I really do not feel like sweating this kind of bullshit for minimum wage. gently caress this economy.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 23, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Boondock Saint posted:

I started working part time in a deli at Safeway today while I look for a full time job.

On the first loving day, I got bitched about because I had a secret shopper, and although I got everything else done correctly(greeting, suggestive selling, thanking them), I didn't "engage" or converse with the customer.

What does this entail? I have to loving start talking about whatever product they are buying or start a conversation, for example "Oh this ham is great, I like to eat it all the time." I'm sorry, but that kind of poo poo has always seemed canned and retarded to me, and I refused to loving force that on anyone unless its a naturally occurring conversation.

I'm seriously considering going in tomorrow and quitting on the spot, I really do not feel like sweating this kind of bullshit for minimum wage. gently caress this economy.

And I'm the kind of guy who just wants you to shut the gently caress up and slice my ham, so I actually get pretty pissed when people with whom I have no personal relationship pretend that we're friends.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

FISHMANPET posted:

And I'm the kind of guy who just wants you to shut the gently caress up and slice my ham, so I actually get pretty pissed when people with whom I have no personal relationship pretend that we're friends.

My feelings exactly. Everyone I've mentioned this to has suggested quitting.

Seriously between that and the assistant manager walking over and pointing at me like I wasn't there and bitching to the dept. manager about it, I'm not dealing with this poo poo at all for min. wage. I've worked retail for six years, I can loose a little bit of my humility if needed, but gently caress that.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 24, 2010

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I've only ever been shopped once in 4 years because they don't come in early enough to get me so I mostly just ignore all that poo poo unless a customer actually looks like they need help.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
While easily not the most offensive thing to happen to me in my shop, about 20 mins ago I was just trading in some DVDs for a customer, and while I was pricing them up a woman walked in with her son. She puts a stack of PS2 games on the counter and asks me to get her a trade price for them, so I said I was just finishing this stack of DVDs for the bloke who was standing at the counter. While I was in the middle of telling this guy the price and getting his personal details she suddenly starts huffing and then says "Lets go, I would rather go to a shop where I am treated like a customer and storms out while loudly saying how rude I was.

I would like to say that I had come out with some snappy retort but honestly I just stood there with a confused look on my face while the other 2 people in the shop looked on equally puzzled by what the hell just happened. What the hell did she expect? for me to drop what I was doing for the other guy and tell him to go away? Some people...

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

BittyWings posted:

'good customer service'

So... go spy on competitors and produce a report on them.

This is what happens when upper management consists of a lot of people from very different backgrounds (ranging from Arcadia and Marks and Spencer through to Lidl) who all want to make the company like where they used to work, but can't actually agree with one another on how to make it viable.

Sounds like you work for John Lewis... or not as I've never heard of these bronze and silver workbooks.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Protip: If your receipt is longer than your leg you bought too much

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Once a customer bought a absolutely humongous pile of stuff so the receipt was about 1,5 meters long. I took a copy and have it at home... It's got to be a world record or something? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
One of the charities in town bought $4,500 worth of toys when I was working at Walmart this past December. The receipt on that was close to six feet long.

EDIT: And guess who had to help them load it all into their vans?