Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I don't mind putting in ridiculous OT every now and again. I'd rather work 12 hour shifts during the workweek than sacrifice my Saturday, however, and never work Sundays anymore. But I have escaped retail, so ymmv.

My last retail position, I arranged with a coworker to cover some shifts of mine, and I'd get his the next week. I worked 25 hours one week, and then 55 the next. When I got my paycheck, it was a straight 80 hours with no overtime. I confronted the owner about it, and he told me that he didn't have to pay overtime because I only worked 80 hours during that period. I told him that if I didn't get my 15 hours of OT for that second week, I'd never work a second of OT again, and he capitulated. What an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
got woken up by a request to come into work. I don't know for sure because I was really tired but I may have responded to the news that my 65 year old manager tore his ACL with a "oh maaan, that sucks..." I hope it wasn't him because that would make me the biggest poo poo

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I love overtime money. One year our company was short handed on people in my position, so lots of people called me to help out at their store, even if it was pure overtime. I worked 2550 hours that year, which is an average of 49 hours a week. I believe I forfeited all 3 of my week vacations that year, so I got to two pay checks those three weeks that I forfeited them. The next 3 years was still a struggle to find the appropriate help, so I still got lots of overtime, but not as bad as the 49 hour a week year.

These days though I prefer not to work more than 40 hours, but will work 48 hours should a problem arise. I try to encourage part timers to take these hours when opportunities arise, or other people on old contract that allows 48 hours without it being called overtime. Unfortunately majority of them say "sorry made plans already". Kind of sucks for me because as the assistant, it's my responsibility to take care of the problem.

Over the years I worked so much, that near the age of 33 I'll be able to pay off the $170k mortgage to my house, which is about 3 months away for me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ijii posted:

I love overtime money. One year our company was short handed on people in my position, so lots of people called me to help out at their store, even if it was pure overtime. I worked 2550 hours that year, which is an average of 49 hours a week. I believe I forfeited all 3 of my week vacations that year, so I got to two pay checks those three weeks that I forfeited them. The next 3 years was still a struggle to find the appropriate help, so I still got lots of overtime
Stop, my penis can only get so erect.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
turns out it was one of the younger guys, which is still really hosed up and the dude is still loving working today somehow, but its not as hosed up as if my boss could just straight up never walk again

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Our week goes Sunday to Saturday, so even though I'm full time, tomorrow isn't ot because it's a new week. I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up working 7-10 days in a row with no ot once prom season starts, because the boss says she doesn't want to hire part timers for prom this year.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

my store just got a new manager who just decreed that all part timers are to get no more than 10 hours per week. i just got sent home after a 1.5 hour shift. this is too much.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Check your local state laws. Some states have a minimum length shift law, where the business must pay you for X hours minimum, even if they send you home.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DLTN posted:

my store just got a new manager who just decreed that all part timers are to get no more than 10 hours per week. i just got sent home after a 1.5 hour shift. this is too much.

more time to shitpost on somethingawful imo

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Today a lady explained to me in perfect english that she wanted the price of purse A for purse B, she was clearly fluent in English. When I told her I'd have to ask a manager she said "Okay, that's fine."

When the manager came up and I asked her to explain to him what her question was, she said "You tell?" in a much heavier accent than before. So I explained it to him and he said no, but he'd give her 15% off because a thing was missing from the purse. She said "Oh, 50%, ok!" He replied "Uh, no, 15%." She then said "Okay!" and when I went to ring it up she said "20% good, thank you." and my manager just gave in.

I can't believe people pretend to not speak English well to get deals. :eyepop:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

DLTN posted:

Spend the extra time putting in applications to other companies.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

DLTN posted:

That's illegal where I live, employers are required to pay you for at least 3 hours per shift. Even if you're not there the entire time. We have staff meetings outside of regular working hours, and they sometimes only go for an hour. We get paid for three.

But at the same time they are so, so, so stingy with hours. We're doing a special event during the evenings right now, and last night I was by myself for the busiest part of the evening. My little store is responsible for a wider range of things than the main gift shop even though they're 5 times the size. They just do regular gift shop stuff. I have that, plus bulk candy dispensers, a fridge and a freezer with drinks and ice cream, I serve hot chocolate, I rent wagons, I custom engrave bracelets, and I sell all the ride tickets for our carousel. The next closest food and drink concession is an 8 minute walk away 1/4 of the way across the grounds. So my store was hella busy last night. I had line ups of 10 to 20 people while doing several transactions per minute. I also had thefts occur because I couldn't watch the crowd of 50 people in a building the size of a large living room every second while I had hordes of people buying all sorts of random poo poo while others were interrupting to ask dumb questions. Last night was such a loving shitshow. I e-mailed my boss about it, asking for a second person, and was told no, just make someone who was scheduled to leave right when it gets busy to put in overtime if needed. Because university students love working an extra two hours decided at the last minute when they had plans to do homework or whatever.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

ijii posted:

Spend the extra time putting in applications to other companies.

the big thing though is that I rather like the company, I just hate the new manager. I'm thinking I'm gonna ride this out for now and see if it sticks, and if it does, start looking at openings in the other location in the next city over.

or, alternatively, it might be a company-wide thing. AbrahamLincolnLog, since I'm 99% sure we work at the same company, are you seeing any changes like this in your store??

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

My place does another fun thing: the "week" starts on Saturday. So you guessed it, totally possible to schedule someone, off Saturday/Sunday, on Monday to next Wednesday, then Thurs/Fri off meaning ten days in a row and no overtime for it because technically you don't work "more than five days" in a week!

Do you work at Walmart? Because this is how they did things. Probably still do.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, I remember a few times at Wal-Mart getting into shitfits with my manager for scheduling me ten days straight; but it was actually two entirely disconnected weeks of five days, just look at the calendar!

I think they got away with it by having some shifts be only four hours instead of eight. Couldn't let the part-timer hit 40/wk, after all.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

DLTN posted:

or, alternatively, it might be a company-wide thing. AbrahamLincolnLog, since I'm 99% sure we work at the same company, are you seeing any changes like this in your store??

I'm full-time, so I haven't really been paying attention. The part-timers in my department have been complaining lately, but I am almost certain they are over ten hours a week. I don't know for sure, though!

PM me your workplace if you want, I'll confirm if it's the same.

Retail Slave posted:

Do you work at Walmart? Because this is how they did things. Probably still do.

I do not.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think they got away with it by having some shifts be only four hours instead of eight. Couldn't let the part-timer hit 40/wk, after all.

I'm full-time so it's not even that. I'm looking, now, at eight 9-hour days in a row (one hour unpaid lunch, gently caress you too management). It sucks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well today I saw something horrifying .There was a baby in a carseat on a cart... and a girl tried to climb up the side of the cart which caused the cart to tip over and launch the carseat off. I didn't even realize there was a baby or carseat as I was running over until the mother screamed and I saw the carseat and my blood went completely cold. The baby was securely belted to the carseat so it didn't slam into the floor, but still. loving horrifying poo poo

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Leal posted:

Well today I saw something horrifying .There was a baby in a carseat on a cart... and a girl tried to climb up the side of the cart which caused the cart to tip over and launch the carseat off. I didn't even realize there was a baby or carseat as I was running over until the mother screamed and I saw the carseat and my blood went completely cold. The baby was securely belted to the carseat so it didn't slam into the floor, but still. loving horrifying poo poo

I imagine a horrible accident similar to this will happen at my store some day. You see, we have the special carts that have carseat tie-ins on top to prevent children from going on short, violent journeys if the cart they're in is sufficiently disturbed. I've seen hundreds of mothers & fathers either use the entire large basin of a regular cart to house their car seat, unsecured, or daintily snuggle the car seat into the folding child seat on top. I've seen the purpose-built carts used perhaps twice ever.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
One of my company's stores awarded a lot attendant some nice money for saving a kid who was belted loosely in the child seat, stood up and took a dive out of the cart while his mother was paying for her purchase... the guy caught the kid before he hit the concrete. They showed us the security video and it was impressive to watch. Kids can pull poo poo in a split second; it makes me very angry when parents pretend their children are angels who don't ever get into trouble and they aren't paying attention in the store. We tell them not to let their kids out of their sight and yet I find kids running around the appliance section slamming dryer doors open and shut, etc while parents are trying to have a conversation with the salespeople. I try to stop it by engaging the kids, but we are not paid to be babysitters and I can't always find the time between customers to entertain small children.

Which reminds me, I need to bring some crayons in so the kids can draw while I'm selling carpet. There is nothing at my desk for kids to do and nobody knows how to sit quietly any more. I had a parent-child pair sit down for less than five minutes the other day to get a rough estimate on carpet install, and within 10 seconds of sitting down the preteen boy was fidgeting and asking his dad for his phone so he could play games (dad, to his credit, said "no"). I honestly considered looking that kid in the eye and telling him how shameful it was that he couldn't sit still without a screen in his hands. I also considered giving him a patronizing smile and handing over some markers and a scrap bit of paper like I do with the three-year-olds... probably a good thing I didn't, but the thought was amusing.

On the other hand I talked to a lady the other night with two little girls who WERE perfect angels. They stayed close, spoke quietly, and took the pencils and paper they were given and drew pretty scribbles until we were done talking, then handed the pencils back politely and without fuss. They even said thank you! :syoon: Kids like that are welcome any time!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm glad I work in an adults-only store (we sell e-cigarettes) so I don't have to put up with that poo poo. Some kids are fine, but most are absolute hellions.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Faerunner posted:

One of my company's stores awarded a lot attendant some nice money for saving a kid who was belted loosely in the child seat, stood up and took a dive out of the cart while his mother was paying for her purchase... the guy caught the kid before he hit the concrete. They showed us the security video and it was impressive to watch. Kids can pull poo poo in a split second; it makes me very angry when parents pretend their children are angels who don't ever get into trouble and they aren't paying attention in the store. We tell them not to let their kids out of their sight and yet I find kids running around the appliance section slamming dryer doors open and shut, etc while parents are trying to have a conversation with the salespeople. I try to stop it by engaging the kids, but we are not paid to be babysitters and I can't always find the time between customers to entertain small children.

Which reminds me, I need to bring some crayons in so the kids can draw while I'm selling carpet. There is nothing at my desk for kids to do and nobody knows how to sit quietly any more. I had a parent-child pair sit down for less than five minutes the other day to get a rough estimate on carpet install, and within 10 seconds of sitting down the preteen boy was fidgeting and asking his dad for his phone so he could play games (dad, to his credit, said "no"). I honestly considered looking that kid in the eye and telling him how shameful it was that he couldn't sit still without a screen in his hands. I also considered giving him a patronizing smile and handing over some markers and a scrap bit of paper like I do with the three-year-olds... probably a good thing I didn't, but the thought was amusing.

On the other hand I talked to a lady the other night with two little girls who WERE perfect angels. They stayed close, spoke quietly, and took the pencils and paper they were given and drew pretty scribbles until we were done talking, then handed the pencils back politely and without fuss. They even said thank you! :syoon: Kids like that are welcome any time!

You figure the ten year old ought to be giving his full attention to the carpet cost estimation procedure? And that the kid knew it would only be five minutes?

I think you're wound a bit tight my friend. You've set awfully high standards for someone who doesn't even have pubic hair yet.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I wonder if your dad whined about kids not being able to sit still without a walkman.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I think one of my co-workers hates me or something. Someone reported my posts in this thread (the guy getting knifed story, and the 3 issues i reported to HR) via printing them out, and information detailing "Grimcreaper = This Guy, heres proof" and giving them to my HR Manager. (she was livid when she approached me with the paper work. Pissed her off even more when i refused to sign it) I cant even refute it and say it wasnt me, becuase they have the knife incident on official record, with my hand written account, and the camera showing me right at the scene when it all happened as i described in the forum post.

Apparently, those posts count as "company confidential information" and i was given a "Final Warning pending Corporate Review". What makes it hilarious is that everyone in my store is having to redo the Acceptable Social Media Posting training again, and that crap is about 80-90 minutes or pure bullshit lol. Im considering filing a corporate complaint claiming im being cyber stalked and harassed since my posts were never linked to my name as my SA account has no personally identifiable information available via Profile. Any chance that would work?

You know.. its odd. Ive worked for the store for over 11 years now, and i have never had problems like ive had in the last 7 or 8 months. I think its a sign to get out of Sears Failings while i still have a good chance at immediate hire before everyone else abandons ship.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Wait, you know someone who hates you is reading your posts here and is using them to try to get you fired, and you're continuing to post about work?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

epenthesis posted:

Wait, you know someone who hates you is reading your posts here and is using them to try to get you fired, and you're continuing to post about work?

Yeah. I really dont have issues with losing the job anymore. The company is failing miserably, my store is down to 2 shipments a week from 5, we are budgeted for 160 employees but my store director wont let HR hire any more so he gets his "budget-savings bonus" (were at 114 employees now).

I work the evenings and our shift is hit the hardest in terms of lack of employees. The few of us who are actually competent are getting chewed out on an almost daily basis becuase the other gently caress ups dont do anything. Not really worth the stress they have shoved on people in the last few months.

Also, i just started throwing out applications over the last few days. I fully intend to take advantage of my 2 week vacation coming up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Leal posted:

Our sliding door shut on a 2 year old's head a short while back. No serious injuries, she was more afraid than anything. But the screaming was pretty awful.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I actually like serving kids because when I am closing by myself, if I see a kid at the counter they probably just want an icee or a frozen yogurt. Families however make my blood run cold because I know it means a manager is going to start prodding me for not being out at exactly 9:30. It sucks how the only way I can get my work finished on time is too leave the front empty to slink off to dishes but until our labor short-coming is over that's the way its got to be.

Or maybe this is the modus operandi in which case I better start applying to the local fast foods and retailers because gently caress fluid closing hours and gently caress managers who get mad at me because one person can't clean and entire department by their selves while also cycling all the food and working the register.

Our department has plenty of hours for anyone who wants to work it but nobody does.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 13, 2015

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yeah the worst thing is when you close at 10:30 and somehow there are like three people who really need to stare at clothes for 10 minutes after closing.

One time this lady just kept shopping, and after two warnings over the intercom and the manager personally telling her we were about to till out the registers, and she still didn't come up, we tilled them out. She was really mad and it was good.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

You figure the ten year old ought to be giving his full attention to the carpet cost estimation procedure? And that the kid knew it would only be five minutes?

I think you're wound a bit tight my friend. You've set awfully high standards for someone who doesn't even have pubic hair yet.

I don't care what the kid thought or what he was paying attention to outside of the estimation procedure (which was literally calculating room size and throwing a number out), staring at your shoes while asking for a cell phone to entertain yourself before you've even waited a minute at somebody's desk is impolite and also shows a complete lack of imagination. When I was that kid's age my dad didn't waste time complaining about other kids. He taught me to listen to the adults and/or to wait quietly without artificial distractions because that was the social expectation. I was supposed to be able to engage in conversation alongside him, not ignore the grown-ups just because I was a kid. How else are kids supposed to learn how to behave as adults if they are allowed to escape or ignore all adult interaction during their formative years?

Yes, I do have awfully high standards. So did my parents and so do the people I cultivate as friends. I often lower them when dealing with the public because I understand that nobody is perfect but I reserve the right to vent in the retail thread about customers who annoy me and/or fail to meet my standards, since that's what this entire thread is about. The kid annoyed me. I vented. End of story.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
"Kid does kid thing, annoys old man yelling at cloud"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Man, people who come in right before close are the absolute worst. Sometimes they'll rush up while i'm locking on the door. If I am feeling gracious I'll let them in, but I always say something like "Just letting you know: I'm no longer getting paid to be here so you're only able to purchase alcohol by virtue of me being a good bloke. You've got two minutes." That normally works.

Sometimes they'll come up and tap on the locked door. "You guys open?" "Nah, not anymore. That's why all the outside lights are off, the roller door is halfway closed and the door is locked. The reason I did all those things is because we are closed."

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

People who think that once they put a foot in the store you are required by law to wait on them are terrible, especially when closing. What is it that spawns that attitude? "I got past the door, now you have to re-open" has literally never worked, so why do people try it?

Had a customer last week who came in right before we closed, 8:58. They took a cart and started strolling along like we were open all night. As expected, two minutes later, the lights start to go dim and there's an announcement that we're closed. She looks at me and is completely confused. "Are you guys closed?"

"Yes, we just closed."

"Then why were the doors open?"

I just kind of looked at her for a moment. "Because we weren't closed when you entered. Now we are."

"But I just now walked in."

"Yes, and we just now closed."

"But the doors were open!"

I just told her I wasn't going to argue with her and left it at that. Go home. You don't need to buy anything a hardware store sells at 9 PM on a Tuesday.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I got a good laugh out of someone who decided they were going to stand outside our door and wait after we closed, had the doors shut and locked and carts blocking the entrance. Then when the manager opens the door and lets us out "Oh, are you closed?"

And in other news about how loving disgusting the customers we've been having lately, I found a bottle that we haven't actually sold yet... with milk inside of it (lord I hope its milk). So someone came into our store, grabbed a bottle off the shelf, filled it up with milk that they brought in because we haven't had milk in stock for almost 2 months now, drank from it, then just left it on the shelf when they were done with it.

E: Also anyone have that picture of the customer saying "If there is no price on it is it free?" and the cashier goes something like "Have you heard this one?" where he pulls a gun and shoots himself, next panel is the customer going "I don't get it"? I'm positive it was posted in this thread multiple times

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 14, 2015

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

I think one of my co-workers hates me or something. Someone reported my posts in this thread (the guy getting knifed story, and the 3 issues i reported to HR) via printing them out, and information detailing "Grimcreaper = This Guy, heres proof" and giving them to my HR Manager. (she was livid when she approached me with the paper work. Pissed her off even more when i refused to sign it) I cant even refute it and say it wasnt me, becuase they have the knife incident on official record, with my hand written account, and the camera showing me right at the scene when it all happened as i described in the forum post.

Apparently, those posts count as "company confidential information" and i was given a "Final Warning pending Corporate Review". What makes it hilarious is that everyone in my store is having to redo the Acceptable Social Media Posting training again, and that crap is about 80-90 minutes or pure bullshit lol. Im considering filing a corporate complaint claiming im being cyber stalked and harassed since my posts were never linked to my name as my SA account has no personally identifiable information available via Profile. Any chance that would work?

You know.. its odd. Ive worked for the store for over 11 years now, and i have never had problems like ive had in the last 7 or 8 months. I think its a sign to get out of Sears Failings while i still have a good chance at immediate hire before everyone else abandons ship.

Yeah, HR is right sorry. If you post poo poo about your job and they find out about it, they absolutely can make life poo poo for you. Even "liking" a facebook post someone else has made about a workplace you're employed at counts as if you'd posted it yourself.

Basically, never post about your workplace unless you're absolutely certain you won't get identified or sincerely don't give a poo poo about losing your job.

That said, whoever turned you in is kind of a huge dick. Guy who turned in grimcreaper, if you return to gather more evidence, please know you're an rear end in a top hat. Die in a freak grease fire. Thanks!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I got a good laugh out of someone who decided they were going to stand outside our door and wait after we closed, had the doors shut and locked and carts blocking the entrance. Then when the manager opens the door and lets us out "Oh, are you closed?"

And in other news about how loving disgusting the customers we've been having lately, I found a bottle that we haven't actually sold yet... with milk inside of it (lord I hope its milk). So someone came into our store, grabbed a bottle off the shelf, filled it up with milk that they brought in because we haven't had milk in stock for almost 2 months now, drank from it, then just left it on the shelf when they were done with it.

E: Also anyone have that picture of the customer saying "If there is no price on it is it free?" and the cashier goes something like "Have you heard this one?" where he pulls a gun and shoots himself, next panel is the customer going "I don't get it"? I'm positive it was posted in this thread multiple times

I know you know it's not milk.

I was at Bath and Body Works yesterday and the cashier would not let this man just buy some loving soap. He had a half dozen of them and the cashier kept trying to lead him off to buy the similar lotion or body wash for each scent. Lady, he's buying $40 worth of loving soap, leave him alone!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
I'm getting out of retail, kind of! I've a new, incredibly awesome job that pays decently (not like $15 an hour or anything, but much much better than goddamn retail) and only takes up 30 hours a week! Plus, it's only 30 hours a week, which means I can stay on for like 8-16 hours a week at the WAG for extra experience and money.

I guess it's Stockholm syndrome that makes me want to stay in retail part time? Who knows?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

UZworm posted:

I guess it's Stockholm syndrome that makes me want to stay in retail part time? Who knows?

Probably. Also a fear of the unknown? I worked retail from 16-21, and when I finally escaped to the dizzy heights of a call centre, I stayed on four hours a week, just in case. After a couple of months I ditched retail altogether and never looked back.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

The only reason I would stay with retail part time is for the sweet 20% off

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Leal posted:

My standard response to customers saying variations on that is 'Actually we impose a $1 surcharge every time someone says that'.

Faerunner posted:

I don't care what the kid thought or what he was paying attention to outside of the estimation procedure (which was literally calculating room size and throwing a number out), staring at your shoes while asking for a cell phone to entertain yourself before you've even waited a minute at somebody's desk is impolite and also shows a complete lack of imagination. When I was that kid's age my dad didn't waste time complaining about other kids. He taught me to listen to the adults and/or to wait quietly without artificial distractions because that was the social expectation. I was supposed to be able to engage in conversation alongside him, not ignore the grown-ups just because I was a kid. How else are kids supposed to learn how to behave as adults if they are allowed to escape or ignore all adult interaction during their formative years?

Yes, I do have awfully high standards. So did my parents and so do the people I cultivate as friends. I often lower them when dealing with the public because I understand that nobody is perfect but I reserve the right to vent in the retail thread about customers who annoy me and/or fail to meet my standards, since that's what this entire thread is about. The kid annoyed me. I vented. End of story.

I agree with you. A kid should be able to sit still and daydream or whatever for a few minutes, and there is an appalling lack of decent child rearing going on in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

redweird posted:

Man, people who come in right before close are the absolute worst. Sometimes they'll rush up while i'm locking on the door. If I am feeling gracious I'll let them in, but I always say something like "Just letting you know: I'm no longer getting paid to be here so you're only able to purchase alcohol by virtue of me being a good bloke. You've got two minutes." That normally works.

Sometimes they'll come up and tap on the locked door. "You guys open?" "Nah, not anymore. That's why all the outside lights are off, the roller door is halfway closed and the door is locked. The reason I did all those things is because we are closed."

I worked at a Burger King in a mall when I was in high school. One night after close, our gate was most of the way down, not completely because we had to leave that way, but really only high enough that us kids could duck under it on the way out. Some guy walks up to the counter, rubbing his head where he bumped it on the gate he had to stoop under, asking if we were open. When you injure yourself trying to mission impossible your way into the place it's probably safe to assume they are closed.