Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

ijii posted:

A lot of our stores have this issue, especially after store remodels. They took out a lot of prep room area and storage room area to make more space for the sales floor. It's a huge cluster gently caress during Thanksgiving and to a smaller extent Christmas. I've been at stores where we would put turkeys in the dairy cooler, meat cooler, freezer, and even the meat prep room at the same time. It was the toughest during the time when turkeys were sub .60/lb and they just stopped giving stores cargo trucks to store turkeys and pies. I currently work at a lower volume store so I don't have to deal with that crap. :feelsgood:

Originally they weren't going to give us a storage truck but once they realized the sheer loving volume of turkeys we needed to bring in the caved and gave us one. If we didn't we would've had to like get rid of milk to fit more turkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I have come to terms that I really loving hate one of the other utility clerks. She opened yesterday and I closed, now to give an idea what is supposed to be done before you leave your shift:

Go backs done
Bins with cardboard are emptied out, bales made as necessary

I came in last night to a cart full of go backs and she apparently spent 8 hours doing gently caress all cause there was bins still in the back that had razor blades and product in them. That means those were bins night crew used, she literally did not touch them at all during her 8 hour period of work. Also didn't tell me about a cart of product we had in the back cause a customer forgot to bring their money to the store and would be right back, meaning I had a surprise cart full of product pop up on me at the last 10 minutes of work. All that combined to me working nearly an hour longer last night.

Today I get a call, I would start at 2:30 but oh no, she has school so I have to come in at 12. Also I'll still be working till 11 pm. Thanks.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Running out of food items? Psh. Amateur hour. For a real good time, run out of shopping bags. :shepface:

When you run out of paper bags, nobody really cares except the people who are a pain in the rear end to begin with.

When you're out of plastic bags, every single customer will react with dismayed confusion, even though they just saw the same thing play out with the last two customers in your line. And then you have to bag everything in paper.

The last week I worked as a courtesy clerk, we ran out of all paper, plastic, and reusable tote bags for four days. We had to costco it up with boxes and just weather through the customers who bitched at us for being unprepared.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Someone tried to off himself in my department yesterday. Looks like he cut open something big by the size of the bloodstain. He's in the hospital doing fine (or at least still alive).

My day was spent getting people to take the police line seriously while also ducking under it to stock books by the big sticky red spot. It is loving surreal to be in the totally abandoned Romance aisle just stocking the Nora Roberts paperbacks and trying not to stare.

I don't actually have any thoughts on this other than "holy poo poo", it's just been a hell of a day.

In other news: those newfangled chip readers are expensive to put in; we as a store can only put them in half our registers because of this. Corporate's solution: rip out the other registers a week before black Friday! It'll be fine, just keep your line times down! :shepface:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

We got short-shipped turkeys last night, and ended up selling out an hour after opening :suicide:

Next store to the west got over shipped a pallet of turkeys :downsbravo:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How many times were you asked to check the back to see if you had more?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

None, shockingly. The customers have been downright calm and understanding. It's loving creepy.

Plus whenever we got asked we just directed them to the other store that got the overship.

Bonus: the regional VP was in for my last hour. He was not happy. Thankfully, he is one of those that started off as a floor worker and knows it was the warehouse's fuckup and not ours.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Don't know if this will be cheering to you guys, but last thanksgiving I was looking in the frozen turkey heap for something more than 10 lbs and less than 20 with no luck when an employee asked if I needed help. I said, "yes please, I'd like something around 15 lbs but I'm not finding it." The dude went to 'the back' and came back 4 minutes later with a 17 lb.

After I checked out, I grabbed a survey card and checked 10s all the way down and mentioned the guy by name, said he shoud get a raise.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

It was really slow yesterday which means today it's going to be Turkey Thunderdome at Whole Foods

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

On my lovely commute to work and the trains are eerily empty. Not sure if this is a good or bad sign for my job in the outer suburbs of Boston.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Kilonum posted:

On my lovely commute to work and the trains are eerily empty. Not sure if this is a good or bad sign for my job in the outer suburbs of Boston.

Yesterday I pulled into the parking lot at 3 in the afternoon and we were so packed that I almost couldn't find a place to park. My manager says it's going to be busier today.

I'm almost grateful that I lost 5 hours and I've got a whole bunch of short shifts this week. Getting dicked over on my hours actually worked in my favor for a change.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

dee eight posted:

Don't know if this will be cheering to you guys, but last thanksgiving I was looking in the frozen turkey heap for something more than 10 lbs and less than 20 with no luck when an employee asked if I needed help. I said, "yes please, I'd like something around 15 lbs but I'm not finding it." The dude went to 'the back' and came back 4 minutes later with a 17 lb.

After I checked out, I grabbed a survey card and checked 10s all the way down and mentioned the guy by name, said he shoud get a raise.
This is probably the best course of action to recognize an employee, so thanks for doing that. Where I work, I think they've been doing the online surveys for about 5 years. They used to give out $5 gift cards for each time we were named dropped with a perfect score, which was kick rear end. They stopped doing that, these days you get a sticker which gets traded in for a raffle ticket for a chance to win a vehicle every 3 months in a pool of like +20000 employees. To me, this isn't really motivating.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Things I love: getting yelled at by a crossing guard for being on the cellphone because my manager called me two minutes away from getting in asking me where I was. And having to come in 3 hours early and work 1-1 because she has a doctor's appointment at 2 and can't work night for another doctor's appointment at 8.

I have put in 55 hours this week and worked last Thursday through Monday covering long, long hours because my manager was at the AMAs and I'm so tired and done with this. I do get Thanksgiving off but I'm just going to spend it half asleep with family I could not give a poo poo about. I need to work at finding another job again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Aw yeah, smashed my pinky on one of the bread drawers

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Thinking of you guys on Black Friday eve eve

Stay safe.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

My last hour today was spent cleaning up an olive oil spill. Of my own doing.

Was facing the shelves we keep the olive oil on, saw one on the top shelf that was cracked and leaking, so I decided to take it out back to be tossed.

Only when I picked it up did I realize that the crack went ALL THE WAY AROUND THE BOTTLE.

At least for 40 minutes of that I got to sit as I wiped oil off of product and shelving :unsmith:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I've done that, but with soap in the cleaning chemicals aisle. Isn't it fun trying to wash slippery, viscous fluid off everything? (No, it's not, but at least you got to sit for a while!)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Happened to me once, but at a movie theater. A small one with two screens, where most nights we have two busy periods. They're when we're selling for the first show in either theater, and when we're selling for the second. Somebody managed to break a wall mounted soap pump just before we were selling tickets for the latter show (also known as the only time I need to be helping people, no exceptions), spreading soap everywhere. In the woman's washroom. I am a man. It's not exactly easy to clean up everything when plenty of ladies need to take a piss just before previews, and you don't want to be a creep. But after selling tickets, oh boy is there so much poo poo you can get done, especially when all it seems to do is spread and make everything super slippery so you just can not leave it because Lawyers! After selling tickets is also called, 'Time to clean up everything and get the gently caress home'. In summary, I did not get to go the gently caress home.

To reiterate this thread's theme, I really hate some of these assholes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stay safe and sane everyone working tomorrow, hopefully no one causes you problems. My day's gonna be slow I've heard tell.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Faerunner posted:

I've done that, but with soap in the cleaning chemicals aisle. Isn't it fun trying to wash slippery, viscous fluid off everything? (No, it's not, but at least you got to sit for a while!)

That's the one time where I actually want to use that powdery spill crap that my managers always want me to use. The one time.

Every other time a mop is 100% better, save for the chance that a customer might slip and bust their rear end.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
This is my first year working retail during the holiday season, but my store is a pharmacy chain, not a big-box retailer like Walmart or something. It can't be that bad on Black Friday, right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Spoggerific posted:

This is my first year working retail during the holiday season, but my store is a pharmacy chain, not a big-box retailer like Walmart or something. It can't be that bad on Black Friday, right?

Oh. Oh. My sweet summer child.

I'm sorry.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Our shop isn't doing Black Friday this year, my heart goes out to all of you who have to work it though.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I have an opening shift on Black friday of 7-12, but where I work we don't have discounts so I don't think it'll be too horrible.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Driving home from the gym and I went through an intersection where there was something like 20 or 30 cars waiting to turn into the wal mart parking lot. I wonder how many of them were just super forgetful and which ones wanted to get an early spot for Black Friday poo poo.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Garrand posted:

Driving home from the gym and I went through an intersection where there was something like 20 or 30 cars waiting to turn into the wal mart parking lot. I wonder how many of them were just super forgetful and which ones wanted to get an early spot for Black Friday poo poo.

Wal-Mart has deals starting at 6pm today. Same with some other places.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wow that's....all sorts of awful. I get to enjoy some Black Friday crap tomorrow but at least I get Thanksgiving off. Good luck to all those poor working today.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The shift lead opening for my store was sick as hell today, to the point where she was coughing constantly and basically had to sit in the break room because she couldn't do any work. Apparently she texted our assistant store manager asking if she could call in today, and he said "If you ruin someone's Thanksgiving by calling in, you're getting fired."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Be safe everyone.

I look forward to hearing stories of the biggest Black Friday assholes you encounter.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

Apparently she texted our assistant store manager asking if she could call in today, and he said "If you ruin someone's Thanksgiving by calling in, you're getting fired."

When I got the flu at my store, I worked through it. It was two miserable weeks of coughing and choking and shuffling around, but I still got poo poo done.

A week later one of the cashiers got sick and didn't show up. She told the managers she was sick and they gave her time off. My response was 'YOU CAN DO THAT HERE?!?!' :monocle:

It's really weird working a minimum wage job where the managers don't make me want to kill myself and everyone around me.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Our store got a visit from the area manager today. The Produce department manager is away, and his brother (a "floating" department manager, used to run deli then front end and is now doing bakery relief since the bakery manager is taking a bunch of time off since her 2 daughters both had babies within days of each other - both girls also work in bakery, as does one of the fathers) is standing in for him.

So we have a manager in produce who has no idea what is going on, and needs me to tell him how everything works and what needs doing and how to do it. The department 2ic is off today (her regular RDO) so we have the stand in manager, the young guy who slacks off (but is actually a pretty good worker when the going gets tough, like today, so hes not so bad), the new absolutely useless and lazy girl who gives zero fucks about WHS and food safety and... me. And I go and finish my shift for the day on front end every Friday so I'm out after lunch. The stand in manager is a good guy, just completely overwhelmed by having an unfamiliar department thrust upon him with a days notice and the area manager looking to poo poo on everyones day. I've volunteered to work the whole shift in Produce, since let's be honest, he's going to need someone in there who can passably get poo poo done, since literally nobody else can do price changes, tickets or stock adjustments. I feel for him, but front end won't let me go do anything important except stand in one spot and swipe poo poo across a scanner for 5 hours so...

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

We did not need to be open all night tonight, or all day for that matter. In my 8 hour shift, we had all of 11 customers. Normally, I'd be glad getting extra pay while doing jack poo poo, but I'd rather have had the day off.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I told myself last year that I wouldn't work another Black Friday.

I lied.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Greetings from a small town movie theater that opened at 9 AM EST on a street where none of the businesses are open yet and that includes two clothing stores and a toy store. I sincerely hope your Black Friday morning is as mellow as ours and you get 15 minutes to yourself for a bagel and energy drink.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Reporting live from a hardware store paint desk on Black Friday.

It is dead.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
We were open from 6 pm to 1 am yesterday. By the time we kicked everybody out, the store looked like the aftermath of some kind of retail kegger. It was a level of trashed so ridiculous it approached parody. And I'm back in again in a few hours, but at least I don't have to close again.

We're running our Black Friday promos all weekend, and as of last night, nearly all over our promo merch was already out on the floor. So by tomorrow evening, the wailing and gnashing of teeth should be at a crescendo, because truly, there is no greater tragedy than not having gray slippers in your size.

EndlessRob
Oct 16, 2008
Today is the first Thanksgiving week I haven't had to work in years as I got out of retail for good this summer. If I could buy coffee and bagels for everyone here, I would.

Last year I worked on the sales floor at a wannabe big box electronics chain. I had a big trip out of the country planned so I needed all the hours and commission I could get, yet came down with some flu-like crud the week before and still came to work but mostly lurched around like a zombie and drank tea in the break room. Our general manager said it was "commendable" that I came in sick. My co-workers rightfully called me a plaguebringer. At least it cleared up the day before my flight.

The same manager also admonished the sales staff in a meeting for not coming in off-hours to set up a new display. We were all paid $4/hr plus commission and he made it clear that we wouldn't get project pay (usually your average hourly) for it, so of course none of us wanted to work for under minimum wage.

Later a coworker sold a bunch of TVs to a commercial customer and the manager talked him into going and installing them...for which he was paid $4/hr.

I do not miss working for people who think their employees' time has no or little value, and neither do a lot of my former co-workers who are actually excited to now take phone calls at Comcast.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Pre-thanksgiving went really smooth at my shop. Very steady, no assholes, the boss and I did a shot (he very rarely ever drinks which is an extremely good thing considering our industry), and one of my coworkers brought a big sack of chopped beef sandwiches.

It's a thanksgiving miracle! Now to supplicate myself and face the hordes of black friday shoppers who will be befuddled that we're not offering any specific discounts in addition to what deals we already have posted.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I work in the front end of a grocery store, and management decided to schedule a skeleton crew for today because it's black friday, why would anyone want to go shopping for food?

Imagine our surprise when it turns out lots of people are doing exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Simsmagic posted:

I work in the front end of a grocery store, and management decided to schedule a skeleton crew for today because it's black friday, why would anyone want to go shopping for food?

Imagine our surprise when it turns out lots of people are doing exactly that.

i'm excited for work in an hour