Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Simsmagic posted:

I work in the front end of a grocery store, and management decided to schedule a skeleton crew for today because it's black friday, why would anyone want to go shopping for food?

Imagine our surprise when it turns out lots of people are doing exactly that.

Please don't say this, I got work in 20 and want it to be an easy day with everyone too busy trampling one another at Walmart to go to the grocery store I work at :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Walmart's black friday sale seemed like a total bust. I mean I got stuck ringing people out in electronics from like 11:00 to 1:30 AM but it wasn't nearly as busy as the previous two years. We had so much unsold event poo poo that we had no idea what to do with it while trying to convert the store back to normal operation.

According to one of the managers when I walked in the building at 9:30, while they made like 500,000 in the first hour, it dropped off fast. imo it was a mistake to just do a single sale at 6 instead of the previous years staggered sales, at least then it would keep customers milling around and possibly grabbing more instead of rushing to whatever and then getting out. The high ticket item of the evening was apparently $1.50 pillows. The most requested items were 40 inch tvs (Emerson or Element or some other cheap piece of poo poo, sadly sold out) and those $29 RCA tablets (also sold out).

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
The two co-workers I talked to today both talked about what a GREAT time they had shopping last night and what a madhouse the stores were, and it's petty as gently caress, but having had to work Black Thursday before, I resent both of them, along with literally anyone else who went shopping last night.

Today was dead, despite a store-wide 50% off retail stock. It really is the dead season for tuxes and gowns, I guess.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Kickshaw posted:

The two co-workers I talked to today both talked about what a GREAT time they had shopping last night and what a madhouse the stores were, and it's petty as gently caress, but having had to work Black Thursday before, I resent both of them, along with literally anyone else who went shopping last night.

I always thought Black Thursday was bullshit, and I think it's even more bullshit now that I work retail. It boggles the mind that current retail workers would even consider doing that.

I hope they get forcibly scheduled for closing on Thanksgiving next year.

Also yup my store was dead until about 10am, where we then picked up to the regular amount of business. The only thing different was that people were buying way more stuff on average, which is weird because we have no sales whatsoever where I work. The only thing I can guess is either, tis the season, or people just assumed everything got marked down by a magical fairy or something.

I only got one person who asked if the prices were final, and he just left right away as soon as I told them they were.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, it was weirdly quiet at my store too. It's not like home improvement warehouses are the place to BE on Black Friday but even so, it felt dead compared to years past. I wasn't up front though and that makes a huge difference; the Christmas area was crawling with people and we did sell out of several "Special Buys" and consolidated a lot of the display pallets (thank god, the aisles are loving crowded and it makes me nuts trying to drive the lift through them). I'm actually surprised; when I left there were a few $79 trees left. We also hit sales plan for the day so obviously it wasn't dead to the point of hurting business.

EndlessRob
Oct 16, 2008

Butyraceous posted:

I always thought Black Thursday was bullshit, and I think it's even more bullshit now that I work retail. It boggles the mind that current retail workers would even consider doing that.

I hope they get forcibly scheduled for closing on Thanksgiving next year.

Some people are immune to becoming empathetic, I suppose. Family values and tradition be damned if you can get 20% off something that's been marked up 20% for the holidays.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

0 rows returned posted:

Walmart's black friday sale seemed like a total bust. I mean I got stuck ringing people out in electronics from like 11:00 to 1:30 AM but it wasn't nearly as busy as the previous two years. We had so much unsold event poo poo that we had no idea what to do with it while trying to convert the store back to normal operation.

According to one of the managers when I walked in the building at 9:30, while they made like 500,000 in the first hour, it dropped off fast. imo it was a mistake to just do a single sale at 6 instead of the previous years staggered sales, at least then it would keep customers milling around and possibly grabbing more instead of rushing to whatever and then getting out. The high ticket item of the evening was apparently $1.50 pillows. The most requested items were 40 inch tvs (Emerson or Element or some other cheap piece of poo poo, sadly sold out) and those $29 RCA tablets (also sold out).

Is there ever truly a quality items for a cheap price? Over a decade ago I went to a Black Friday sale in some electronic store, and it was all cheap garbage, and I never bothered going to one again. Occasionally I'll notice BF advertisement in the mail, but it's all some cheap-o generic garbage. Even online stores only have garbage on sale, and it's baffling to me why some people get so hyped for BF sales.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The average person does not know/care that it is cheap-o generic garbage. They see a television for $99 and don't know the difference between it and something that isn't a piece of poo poo.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

ijii posted:

Is there ever truly a quality items for a cheap price? Over a decade ago I went to a Black Friday sale in some electronic store, and it was all cheap garbage, and I never bothered going to one again. Occasionally I'll notice BF advertisement in the mail, but it's all some cheap-o generic garbage. Even online stores only have garbage on sale, and it's baffling to me why some people get so hyped for BF sales.

They also make lovely poo poo specifically for Black Friday, so not only is it cheap and poo poo, you're paying too much for that garbage even if it were actually 20% off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ijii posted:

From my experience in retail (got out a few years ago, thankfully), yes there sometimes are. Namely, two or three such items in the entire store that are there to get asses in the door. They're inevitably bought within the first four people to get inside and people will come in and bitch about not being able to get the really great deal when you tell them they're sold out. But they're in the store, so mission accomplished from marketing's perspective.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The administration at our place is being cheap on labour again, making my boss close our secondary gift shop an hour early every night during the biggest event of the year. The reasoning behind it is they thought we wouldn't have any business since we are at the opposite end of the zoo from the entrance. We refused and stayed open until 9, when the event ends, because we had a lot of people in the store on the first night alone which is historically pretty slow. We sell hot chocolate just for this event because we are the only staffed location on our half of the island and we make a killing off of it because it's winter outside in Canada. Why would we just stop offering it for the last 1/3 of the night when there's still cold people wandering the zoo grounds? Plus we were supposed to shut down our carousel at 7:30, but didn't start selling tickets until 7:15 then got a huge crowd with some wanting multi-ride passes so it's like "Nope, not shutting down".

Administration needs to actually take a "boots on the ground" role in trying to make decisions.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
The day before Thanksgiving was one of those days, the kind of day where you glance into the parking lot and think about just driving back home and throwing the phone in the toilet. I had a hard time finding a spot to park, even way in the nosebleed section.

Yeah.

All the registers at the front stayed open, all day long. I'm glad I was working a short shift because I would have wanted to kill myself after eight hours of that insanity. Nobody went to breaks on time.

When I finally went to my break I stopped to BS with the lady behind the customer service desk. She's around sixty, and even though she's a little rough around the edges, she's a nice person. Most of the time. She's threatened to kick my rear end a few times and I'm certain that she could.

I asked her how she was doing. "Hungry," she said. I laughed, shrugged, and hoped she got out to her break soon.

Two hours later when I came over to clock out for the night, I asked her if she was still hungry, thinking I'd get her a candy bar or something. She was. She hadn't gone on break yet. Given that she was one of the only people on duty that could work the customer service desk, it might have been a while before she got one.

I'd been hungry all drat day. I was still hungry, and tired enough that I didn't want to cook. So I walked across the street to the Chinese takeout place, bought myself some veggie lo mein, bought her two pork eggrolls, and walked back to the store to drop them off.

She was floored. All I got from her was a quiet little 'thank you', and that was it. I left, went home, pigged out, and screwed around on the internet until I fell over.

Today, I bumped into her again. She was very grateful and happy to see me, all smiles. It gave me that warm and tingly feeling inside right up until she said 'Thank you. That's all I had to eat that night'.

:smithfrog:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

For some reason the place I work extended open hours until 11:30, even though we become dead 30 minutes before the time we usually close, at 10:30. So we have an hour and a half of just nothing, for some reason??

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I consider getting paid to do nothing a blessing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Last 2 days were quite slow, but of course some problems would come up anyways...

Dear customer in the bathroom: When I knock on the door, open it and say "Clean up, anyone inside?", that is your cue to respond or otherwise let me know you are in the bathroom. Honestly anything will work, except LIFTING YOUR FEET so when I stoop down to see under the stalls I can't see your feet. So sorry when I walk in and attempt opening your stall when you decide to do everything in your power to ensure I don't know anyone is inside the bathroom.

Dear customer who leaves their cart around the go back carts: Don't. You're just begging me to come over and empty it out

Dear customer who leaves product on top of the soda refrigerators at checkout: Don't get mad at me when I immediately swipe it up and throw it into my go back cart. Oh you're putting it up there so you can put other stuff onto the belt before that item? Here is a novel idea: Keep it in your loving cart.

Likewise to the above: Don't leave something on a random spot on the shelves where an item doesn't belong and be surprised when I come swooping in and throw it into my go back cart. Put it in your loving cart. Oh didn't get a cart? Well maybe you should go and get one!

EndlessRob
Oct 16, 2008

Leal posted:

Go back shenanigans

Front end would leave their go back carts in the central walkway for us sales people to take care of. Some grumpy old guy had apparently left a clearanced mouse he wanted to get in one of those carts while going off to look at something else and was being a bit rude to the nearby staff about it's whereabouts. Having just tossed said mouse in the clearance bin above the shelves, I made the judgement call that he probably wouldn't be understanding about why that had happened, so I said nothing. Get a handbasket or cart like a normal person.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My little black friday tradition is going to fancy malls and watch pretty people buying expensive stuff, people watching.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Picnic Princess posted:

Administration needs to actually take a "boots on the ground" role in trying to make decisions.
Understatement of the year. There are approximately 10 departments in our stores (produce, dairy, deli, and etc.), and almost none of these departments has a corporate representative that has had previous experience in the department. I think pharmacy is the only department where the person in charge has previous experience. Even our zone coordinators always end up taking charge of departments they have no experience in.

So what ends up happening, insanely stupid policies come about to "help" our departments become better and more efficient but instead creates more frustration and unnecessary work for us. Sometimes these people will bring product in that no one in their rightful mind would ever buy. These same people also do the promoting. So what ends up happening, since they don't know poo poo at what really goes on to run a shop, people who are good bullshitters get promoted over hard working people who don't stoop to kissing asses. "Failing upwards" is quite possible in our company. There is a manager of a department who failed to manage like 3 departments, but some how gets promoted to a higher paying department.

I'm glad that I get paid virtually the same thing as the manager or else I'd have walked a long time ago. What they gain in wages, they lose in having to pay more for shittier health insurance (unions rock!).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Yesterday I was throwing trash into the compactor when one of the managers came in behind me. He slouched over a shopping cart filled with cardboard, then waved at me with clawed fingers and called me over.

I've said maybe two words to this guy. I'm not even sure what his job is, but I know he's one of my many bosses. Whatever. I walked over and asked what he wanted.

In a real quiet voice, he went "Hey, I've got a proposition for you." Then he glanced over his shoulder and I was sure I was about to be asked to steal something or blow him. "What would you say if I offered you a promotion?"

:shittypop:

He wanted me to come work with him on the stocking crew, and I jumped at it. All I've got to do is clear it with the store manager once he's back from vacation. Since the store manager likes me, my hopes were high. The requirements were 'Can you read a UPC?'.

Goodbye front end :kheldragar:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ijii posted:

Understatement of the year. There are approximately 10 departments in our stores (produce, dairy, deli, and etc.), and almost none of these departments has a corporate representative that has had previous experience in the department. I think pharmacy is the only department where the person in charge has previous experience. Even our zone coordinators always end up taking charge of departments they have no experience in.

So what ends up happening, insanely stupid policies come about to "help" our departments become better and more efficient but instead creates more frustration and unnecessary work for us. Sometimes these people will bring product in that no one in their rightful mind would ever buy. These same people also do the promoting. So what ends up happening, since they don't know poo poo at what really goes on to run a shop, people who are good bullshitters get promoted over hard working people who don't stoop to kissing asses. "Failing upwards" is quite possible in our company. There is a manager of a department who failed to manage like 3 departments, but some how gets promoted to a higher paying department.

I'm glad that I get paid virtually the same thing as the manager or else I'd have walked a long time ago. What they gain in wages, they lose in having to pay more for shittier health insurance (unions rock!).

It's like this at my work too. Some time ago a signs and banners manager transferred, so the spot was open. Everyone who worked in that dept had for several years, but the higher ups said they were not qualified. At all. So they hired in a dude from a store who had never so much as put a grommet in a banner, who is called Skippy by his workers, and they tend to ignore him entirely. He was a manager before, but never in this capacity. Along similar lines, the print manager was hired (and fired shortly after) based on the simple fact he had once owned a shoe store (and everyone, again, who had experience didn't have "the manager knowhow" to be the boss).

I mentioned before, at the zoo I used to work at, everyone was hired from the volunteer staff. I think the owner hired maybe 2 people total outside the volunteer staff for animal care position. Or janitorial. But word got around that a Ponds keeper spot was open. Cue every volunteer trying to get into Ponds, even if just for a week, to prove they could do it. Of course they already had a person picked out so it didn't matter.

I do remember one keeper who was insanely lazy but never got reprimanded (she was probably loving one of the head curators, she and the main one were really close) and she managed to get into the new aquarium before anyone else, even those who had volunteered and had experience...because she took the aquarium curator's wife as her best friend and sucked up nonstop. The funny thing now is that they can't keep employee IN the aquarium, because the head curator and his wife drive everyone away. Even the lazy keeper who bragged about her promotion, quit, and begged to get her old spot back, so of course she did.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along similar lines, the print manager was hired (and fired shortly after) based on the simple fact he had once owned a shoe store (and everyone, again, who had experience didn't have "the manager knowhow" to be the boss).

The first department manager at my job was hired based on his business experience- having a restaurant he drove out of business. He was fired for incompetence after a couple of years. He was replaced by-
The second department manager at my job was hired based on her business experience- having a restaurant she drove out of business. She was fired for incompetence after a couple of years. She was replaced by-
The third department manager at my job was a raging alcoholic hired based on his business experience- having a restaurant he drove out of business. He was fired for incompetence and watching porn at work after a couple of years. He was replaced by-
The fourth department manager at my job was hired based on her business experience- having a restaurant she drove out of business. She was fired for incompetence after a couple of years.

Funny? Depressing? I never could tell which.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The worst part of my job is how damned lazy everyone is, like yesterday.

At the start of my shift I walked down the hallway to the bathrooms to check in on them. Other people are supposed to help out when a janitor isn't on duty, but most don't even bother to do basic things like refilling the toilet paper or emptying the trash. If it isn't that it's something else, like hand soap.

Just outside the women's employee bathroom I stepped on something sticky. I lifted my boot and there was a piece of paper with 'TOILET OVERFLOWING' written on it, with a piece of tape on the back.

So that's how the day's going to start? Alright. I opened the door.

You ever watch a crappy sitcom where the dad tries to do the laundry and there's just a comical amount of water in every direction, as far as the eye can see? It was like that, except the water was yellow-brown. My boots made a splish-splosh sound as I stepped in. The whole room smelled like ammonia and butt stank.

The toilet closest to the door was filled to the brim, a porcelain cornucopia of poo poo. Brown stuff and tattered toilet paper swirled around at the top and water trickled down off the sides. Someone had abandoned a plunger next to it. If the room didn't have a raised door frame and a floor drain the 'water' would have ran out into the hallway a long time ago.

The toilet furthest from the door was also filled with waste. It wasn't overflowing or broken, but someone who thought their poo poo didn't stink hadn't bothered to flush it.

I thought about quitting right there, and not because of the sewage. I'd seen worse bathroom disasters. What bothered me was the fact that it was a slow day, with nothing going on, and everyone ( including the managers ) had just decided it was ok to leave everything like it was for hours until I showed up.

It took about ten minutes to open up the toilet. I'm amazed that it didn't splash more than it did, considering how full it was. When I was done with that, I got my mop and bucket and started on the water. I could have cleaned up the first toilet and mopped up an area so that the female employees could at least use one stall until I finished.

But then I thought 'gently caress'em.'

Every so often a woman would come and open the door while I was working, and I'd stop, look up, and say 'Hello!' in the jauntiest voice I could muster. They'd look at the room, take it all in, and then walk away. It was one time I've ever gone uninterrupted while cleaning the woman's bathroom. It took the better part of an hour, all in all.

Then I checked in on the customer's bathroom. There was a catheter on the floor and a Jehova's witness pamphlet on the sink. I wondered if the two were related.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 1, 2015

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I am so glad I am not a janitor... sorry your coworkers are such jerks about cleaning up. And this was the employee bathroom?! Ew.

I don't think there's anything so difficult about picking paper towels off the floor or flushing a full toilet when you find one. Do it with your foot if you want; the bottom of your shoe is gross anyway. But why leave it for the next person (or next 200 people) to deal with/ignore? Then again, these are the same coworkers who leave merchandise sitting where it doesn't belong for days or weeks at a time.

One of the more productive department specialists transferred to another store last week. I'm suddenly realizing that out of a crew of 8 people there were only 3 of us who would do any work at all when we were not directly asked, and now it's 7/2. And our department head went on vacation this week. There were only 3 of us on Saturday and 4 on Sunday, and the part-timers both days were... unmotivated, to put it nicely. We were busy this weekend, and I had no time to tidy or chase people down and ask them for help. So the entire weekend after Black Friday very little got cleaned up.

We all have assigned aisles which we're responsible for keeping stocked and faced. Mine at any given time look a little underwhelming but I tidy as I go through the entire department so I'm spending a lot of time outside my aisles cleaning up after the customers, handling returns etc. Most days the rest of the department looks like a tornado hit. It was my understanding that the aisle assignments were to provide some structure to our days, so that we could be self-starters and see what needed to be done in our space and not feel overwhelmed or unable to prioritize our tasks for the day. We were also supposed to be held accountable by our DS and manager. We haven't been, other than some faint praise for the coworker who just left. He at least took pride in his aisle and kept it looking good.

Apparently nobody else feels this way. There are holes and gaps in the products where product hasn't been restocked in a week or more (we have it, it's up there in the overheads!). There are scattered bits of tile everywhere, far from their homes. There are pallet splinters on the floors that nobody wants to sweep. When I mentioned how bad some of the main aisles were looking to one of our part-timers, they said: "Who told you it needed to be done?". "Nobody," I said, "but have you SEEN those aisles?" The part-timer shrugged. So I sat my rear end down and forgot about it because I'm tired of cleaning up after coworkers as well as customers and I want to see how bad it will get before management takes it upon themselves to start micromanaging us again.

I want to quit so badly, but I'm so loving depressed this year that I haven't finished my resume updates (that I've been working on since last Christmas). Anybody know of a job that offers mental health care?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The worst part of my job is how damned lazy everyone is, like yesterday.

oh my god same.

Through an unfortunate series of events one of the closing guys got 3 of his friends hired to close and now no work gets done at night.

I came in at 1 and cut and bagged 4 cases of meat for vacuum sealing. It took one kid 5 hours and he didn't even finish and I had to take over for the last hour of my shift to finish to all and finish all my paperwork and sort the walk in

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
My boss got a call from another job for a reference in regards to a person that worked at our job for about a week and never showed up again. Why even bother putting down something like that on your resume, let alone try to use us as a reference?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Butyraceous posted:

For some reason the place I work extended open hours until 11:30, even though we become dead 30 minutes before the time we usually close, at 10:30. So we have an hour and a half of just nothing, for some reason??

We're open from now until December 10th until 11, and from the 11th to the 23rd until Midnight. We regularly close at 10 and from 9pm on everyone is done with work and stands around until it's time to go home.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

NarwhalParty posted:

My boss got a call from another job for a reference in regards to a person that worked at our job for about a week and never showed up again. Why even bother putting down something like that on your resume, let alone try to use us as a reference?

You haven't learned Rule #1* yet?

*people are idiots.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

NarwhalParty posted:

A common misconception is that employers aren't allowed to give bad references.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Today right before we closed this skeevy looking couple came in and did some shopping and came up, then decided they only wanted two of the 10 or so things they had grabbed. I loving hate when people do that, but that isn't the best part.

The girl starts complaining about spending money, then segues into "I made 200 dollars today!" The dude asked, "How?" and the lady retorted quickly and snappily, "What do you mean, how?!"

:pervert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Butyraceous posted:

then decided they only wanted two of the 10 or so things they had grabbed. I loving hate when people do that

This drives me crazy when someone comes up to the checkstand and empties like half their cart onto the top of the soda fridges (aka the "Put your unwanted poo poo here" here). I came so close to asking a customer who was just loading stuff up there as I was clearing them "So are you actually BUYING anything or..?"

Don't know if that is worse then the people who will grab an item off the shelf, then take 5 steps before deciding they don't actually want it and throw it onto the nearest spot that isn't the inside of their cart. What, you couldn't decide if you actually wanted it and just grabbed it off a whim instead of going "OK, I actually do/don't need this" and keep it/not pick it up in the first place?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Leal posted:

Don't know if that is worse then the people who will grab an item off the shelf, then take 5 steps before deciding they don't actually want it and throw it onto the nearest spot that isn't the inside of their cart. What, you couldn't decide if you actually wanted it and just grabbed it off a whim instead of going "OK, I actually do/don't need this" and keep it/not pick it up in the first place?

God, I actually saw one of these in action a few months ago.

Murphys Law posted:

Yesterday while grocery shopping I start down an aisle with cleaning supplies. About midway down the aisle a grown man grabs some kind of soft brush hanging from a rack, catches up with his wife to tickle her cheek or neck with it, then just drops it on the shelf between two other items rather than walk the four feet to put it back where he got it. I don't even work retail and this kind of poo poo annoys me. I can't imagine being a retail worker and having to clean up after idiots all day.

And pretty much anytime I go grocery shopping I'll see something somewhere that it doesn't belong. Once I saw something in a freezer that wasn't frozen food. Why?

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Leal posted:

This drives me crazy when someone comes up to the checkstand and empties like half their cart onto the top of the soda fridges (aka the "Put your unwanted poo poo here" here). I came so close to asking a customer who was just loading stuff up there as I was clearing them "So are you actually BUYING anything or..?"

Since I work the floor of the entire store I work with, this is my entire work life. Whenever I see someone do something like this, I snatch it from where they sat it, making sure to make noise and grab their attention and put it back where it goes roughly, to make more noise, all the while staring right at the person who did it.

When I first started doing this I expected to get complaints about it, but I haven't gotten a single one yet, probably because they'd be saying "One of your employees made me feel bad about trashing your store :cry:"

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

My favorite passive aggressive thing to do customers is when they are ordering ground beef. We have 3 types normally: 93% conventional, 90% grass fed, 85% conventional.

90% of people go "give me a pound of ground beef" while pointing at the one they want. Our cases are set up in a way that I have to bend until my back is parallel to the ground to see what someone is pointing at.

So I just keep repeating "Which one?" until they say it.

Usually the progression is "This one." "The one for $6.99" "The 85% conventional."

Like jesus christ people be clear when ordering I'm not a mind reader.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Murphys Law posted:

And pretty much anytime I go grocery shopping I'll see something somewhere that it doesn't belong. Once I saw something in a freezer that wasn't frozen food. Why?

one genius last week left a raw chicken on top of a bunch of our specialty cheeses and of course it started leaking

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Pumpy Dumper posted:

My favorite passive aggressive thing to do customers is when they are ordering ground beef. We have 3 types normally: 93% conventional, 90% grass fed, 85% conventional.

90% of people go "give me a pound of ground beef" while pointing at the one they want. Our cases are set up in a way that I have to bend until my back is parallel to the ground to see what someone is pointing at.

So I just keep repeating "Which one?" until they say it.

Usually the progression is "This one." "The one for $6.99" "The 85% conventional."

Like jesus christ people be clear when ordering I'm not a mind reader.

Some people seem allergic to providing relevant details. When taking payments, I need to enter what type of card (Visa/Master Card/Debit) the payment will be before I can process it. A surprising number of people will take out their card and hold in such a way to cover the logo so I ask "What are you paying with?" They will even see I am looking at their card and will often tilt it away from me to further obscure their card and then just say "card." Yes, I see you holding a card. Work with me here. Is it so difficult to just say Visa?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Pumpy Dumper posted:

This reminds me of the time I had someone walk in, wave at the entire wall of alcohol behind me and ask: "What is that?"

To which I replied, "Well can you be more specific? There are a bunch of products back here.."

Her half opened mouth snapped shut as she turned beet red, turned a 180 and marched out of the store.

Months later I'm still trying to parse that one. Was she unaware that she'd walked into a liquor store? Was there some issue where she was incapable of processing visual input? I hadn't been rude about it, I just wasn't sure if she was aware of where she was or what she wanted..

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 3, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

beepo posted:

Some people seem allergic to providing relevant details. When taking payments, I need to enter what type of card (Visa/Master Card/Debit) the payment will be before I can process it. A surprising number of people will take out their card and hold in such a way to cover the logo so I ask "What are you paying with?" They will even see I am looking at their card and will often tilt it away from me to further obscure their card and then just say "card." Yes, I see you holding a card. Work with me here. Is it so difficult to just say Visa?

In their defense, that is a bizarrely specific piece of trivia you just expect them to know from your vague, dumb-on-its-face question. The onus is equally upon you to make it as clear as possible what you mean when you ask with what they're paying.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I sell bottled drinks out of a small fridge that is out on the sales floor. Not behind my counter. People come up with stuff they want to buy, then say "And also a bottle of water." If they don't make the motion that they're going to grab it out of the fridge, I won't go get it for them. I say "no problem, but I just need to scan it, sorry" and then they clue in and go grab it. Do they do this with grocery store or convenience store cashiers too? Are they just too lazy to open the door themselves? Do they think I have an invisible fridge behind the till that I can retrieve their water from? I just don't know! It's just a bizarre behavior that happens really often.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I sell bottled drinks out of a small fridge that is out on the sales floor. Not behind my counter. People come up with stuff they want to buy, then say "And also a bottle of water." If they don't make the motion that they're going to grab it out of the fridge, I won't go get it for them. I say "no problem, but I just need to scan it, sorry" and then they clue in and go grab it. Do they do this with grocery store or convenience store cashiers too? Are they just too lazy to open the door themselves? Do they think I have an invisible fridge behind the till that I can retrieve their water from? I just don't know! It's just a bizarre behavior that happens really often.

Some places I've been to have it in their till for the price of a water, though they're only small places that don't rely on a scanner. I would pay for it and then grab it on the way out. I guess that's what they're thinking?
BTW I have an idea where you work and I just want to say I loved it there. :unsmith: Sorry it's butt to work in.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Don't know if that is worse then the people who will grab an item off the shelf, then take 5 steps before deciding they don't actually want it

So something I forgot that trumps the laziness factor in "grabbing and throwing it back": People who get sodas out of our soda fridge and then set it on top of the fridge and not actually buy it. Did you even stop for a quarter of a second to decide if you wanted it or are you just being a loving prick and creating more work for us by pulling a soda out of the fridge and throwing it on top of the fridge?