Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It's snowing.

We got bored

Regional VP approves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Is that snow man plugged into something?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I trained another janitor, once.

Long ago in the distant month of September 2015, management decided to add another broom bitch to the roster. I don't know why.

His name was Jason. He was tall and lanky and had that kind of Hanson haircut a lot of skaters and slackers have. Like half our staff, he wasn't over eighteen, which was a problem. If you're under eighteen you can't throw things into the paper or trash compactor- which is 50% of the job.

I started him off by showing him all the bins. This one? Barely has anything in it on any given day. You can just reach in and grab the trash if there's nothing wet. That one? Always full of food trash. Stand clear when you pull it so it doesn't break all over you when the bin liner tears.

He asked about gloves. I laughed and led him into the back, into the perpetually wet and filthy mess that is the janitor's alcove.

"These are the gloves they give us." I grabbed one of the ten unopened boxes and tossed them into his hands. They were one size fits all, non-elastic, made from the same sort of plastic they use to pack individual straws. "They suck and I don't wear them."

"Why? Don't you get stuff on your hands?"

I nodded. "Put on a pair." He did. I handed him a bin liner. "Open this."

If you've never dealt with bin liners before, let me take a moment to describe them. They're not like regular garbage bags. They're much, much thinner, made from a translucent white plastic. If they get holed, you're hosed, because the whole thing will come apart and spew garbage all over everything around it.

They can also be a real bitch to open. Trying to open one in gloves is akin to dunking your hands in novocaine and then attempting to build a ship in a bottle. "You either have to pick them open with your nails, like so," I demonstrated. "Or you spit on your fingertips. Never lick your fingers."

We moved on to the bathrooms.

"When we clean the bathrooms, don't use bleach. In fact, don't use any of the bottles you didn't fill yourself. The night crew fills them with whatever the hell they feel like, and so does the other janitor. You can't trust the labels." He asked why, and I paused to explain the wonders of ammonia and bleach. A number of the janitorial supplies could turn very nasty if mixed with themselves, piss, or both.

"When you're done, you initial the log, put down time in, time out, and what type of cleaning you did. Write an 'I' for inspection, 'LD' for light duty, or 'DC' for deep cleaning. A deep cleaning is anything that takes longer than five minutes or makes you think about quitting."

After that shift, I never saw Jason again.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 5, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yawgmoth posted:

Is that snow man plugged into something?

No, that's the water sprayer we use for the outdoor plants in the summer. Snow wasn't sticky enough.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I trained another janitor, once.

After that shift, I never saw Jason again.

The manager probably told him he was getting hired for grocery and then surprised him with a janitorial shift. Or he was like the girl I trained... she walked out mid-shift because when she got hired as a cashier she somehow thought it would be a light-duty, "fun" job. I still get a chuckle out of that one.

Our store contracts out for its cleaning crew. The current janitor is all right. A little socially inept, but that's to be expected from somebody who cleans piss off floors for a living (and he's older, and seems to have been doing this job for a while now). He's always smiling though so I guess he must get paid pretty well.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I was cleaning the restroom this evening and I saw a customer rip open a package, stuff the merch that was inside into his coat, and toss the package on the ground before going and taking a piss. I went and got my supervisor and the supervisor stood outside the restroom with me. When I pointed out the dude who took the merch, the supervisor just watched him walk all the way to the door and out of the store. I asked why the supervisor didn't stop him, and the supervisor said "...what do you want me to do?"

God I hate this job sometimes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I was cleaning the restroom this evening and I saw a customer rip open a package, stuff the merch that was inside into his coat, and toss the package on the ground before going and taking a piss. I went and got my supervisor and the supervisor stood outside the restroom with me. When I pointed out the dude who took the merch, the supervisor just watched him walk all the way to the door and out of the store. I asked why the supervisor didn't stop him, and the supervisor said "...what do you want me to do?"

What I've learned the entire time I've been working retail: The vast, vast, vast majority of retail places will do positively gently caress all about shop lifters, and really the only reason people get caught shop lifting is cause they surrender the second they get caught instead of running out the door.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I would firmly stand by his decision. I've had a knife pulled on me before and wouldn't risk it again. Several of my lp had a guy pull a shotgun on them when they followed the thief to his truck.

Always remember: there is NOTHING that anyone can steal that's worth your life in your work place.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I like to try and look at a mess like a crime scene investigator. How is it that a customer managed to get poo poo on the wall and floor in the corner behind the toilet, but none on the seat or in the goddamn toilet? Did they squat on the handicap ralling and go for the high poo poo? Did they try to free throw a turd into the water from across the room?

We may never know.

Every bathroom in the store has a wall-mounted cleaning unit. They're not bad, even if they're installed wrong and the water pressure is poo poo. Since there's also a drain in the middle of the floor, I decided I was going to use that to clean up the fecal trainwreck in the corner.

About halfway into the process I found out the people that built the bathroom didn't slant the floor so that liquid would run toward the drain. In fact, it was perfectly level- and I was now standing in a slurry of poo poo water and disinfectant. The half-inch lip in the doorway was the only thing that kept it contained.

I went, grabbed my bucket on wheels, and hauled it into the bathroom. You'd think that sloshing around in shitchamber for half an hour would make a guy angry, but it didn't. I was content with having something to do for a change.

Then the front end manager started yelling for help over the PA. "Nerdy, need help on front end, help on front end."

Usually, I drop everything and run ( now I walk, gently caress'em ) to the front when I hear that. If I'm busy with a customer or something I can't put down, I don't. I considered a room full of poo poo to be a higher priority.

After the first two pages, I thought she'd figure out I was busy. After four, I was getting pissed. After six, she started calling for a manager to page her.

I stepped out of the customer's bathroom about the same time the manager she was paging stepped out of the lady's room. She walked across the hall, answered the phone, and looked at me.

:) "You know front end has been paging you, right?"
:geno: "Someone smeared crap all over the wall in the customer's bathroom."
:stare: "... You take care of that. Go up when you're done."

When the rush died down and I was done bagging, the front end manager called me over to explain that it was important that I called her to let her know I was busy, so she wouldn't "have to scream over the PA."

"I thought you'd figure out I was busy with something after the first two," was not an acceptable answer.

Later in the night she called me over the PA to let me know that I needed to do the things I'd been doing every night since I started being a janitor six months ago.

I lust for managerial blood :kheldragar:

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I hate that. Every single night we get an announcement over the PA that we need to be zoning our departments.

Yes. I know. We all know because that is what we do every loving night and is literally my job to do. I do not need to be reminded -- especially over the PA.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I hate that. Every single night we get an announcement over the PA that we need to be zoning our departments.

Yes. I know. We all know because that is what we do every loving night and is literally my job to do. I do not need to be reminded -- especially over the PA.

Our second shift and overnight never has to zone during their zone times and the only time they make the announcement during the day is when someone from the market office (or higher up the Walmart corporate ramp) is there. It's usually a subtle way of letting everyone know they should be at least looking busy if they didn't know about it already.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just walked in to my grill looking like this for the second time in a row:

Some "fun" back story about the Grill & Donuts.

When I started working at the Gas Station I work at there was an unspoken rule of "After 4 hours on the grill, throw the hot dogs away and replace them, but if you want one of the old ones, that's fine." Kinda gross, but sometimes you need some food. Also, whenever you cooked a fresh batch of Hot Dogs, you wiped off the grease that they left.

We also got Donuts in a few months after I got there, and I noticed they just threw away the old ones. So I asked if we could keep the throw-a-ways, and they said yes. So free donuts, that we all shared.

During this time I'm working alone on the afternoon shift seeing about 300 Customers a day. My Record is 449 in one day, by myself.

Skip forward a year, most of the old staff is gone, and have been replaced with two new faces (among many), Dopey and Moron are who we will focus on. Both work afternoon shift. Dopey is a big dude, and loves making friends. Motherfucker knows the name of almost all the customers, and will talk to them by name. And he will talk to them, for a good while, in lieu of doing work. Moron is an idiot old woman, who also doesn't do work, because she's stupid, that is also her excuse. She spends most days sweeping the floors because she can grasp that. They usually work in tandem, if not with each other, then another staff member, and see roughly 200 people combined.

They both hosed the rest of the staff out of those earlier listed free handouts. Moron would grab all of the left over hot dogs and store them in a thin paper tray near her where she worked, leaving 4+ hour, slowly cooling hot dog grease everywhere. Not just from the tray bottom soaking out, but also from her fingers.

Dopey though, he wants to be insidious, but is an idiot. He started a trading ring of the left over hot dogs and donuts with the other kids at a near by restaurant and store. He would give out the free stuff he was getting for drinks and food from their restaurant. Making sure that no one else that worked there would get anything. The boss caught on, and now no one gets anything.

So the point of that was that now the afternoon shift is supposed to clean up the Hot Dogs at 9, including cleaning the grill, before I arrive at 10. The above picture proves they do not, and even if they do, usually all they do is throw the hot dogs away and leave the grease on the rollers. The other thing about that picture is the state of the hot dogs, burnt as all hell. No one else on staff knows how to use the drat grill but me, we have safety rules posted under the grill in a cabinet, but they are ignored.

I spent 2 hours scrubbing grease off of those rollers tonight only to have the morning person show up 15 minutes late (which is down from an hour), who then yelled at me for previous infractions of not cleaning the bathroom. which I do clean, but honestly It's hard to catch all of the hairs and minor stains in the yellow, dim light of our bathroom, as well as after I've scrubbed off the large chunks of congealed piss and poo poo the afternoon crew left for me. We have rules about checking it every 30 minutes to make sure that doesn't happen. She is also one of those people that claim proudly that they have "OCD," but really don't.

I really don't know what would be a better option for tonight, coming in, seeing that it's hosed up and just not doing anything to the hosed up sections, just turning around and leaving, or leaving and then driving over to the District Manager's house (he's like 2 blocks away), and bring him back to the store to witness the chaos.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Anora posted:

I really don't know what would be a better option for tonight, coming in, seeing that it's hosed up and just not doing anything to the hosed up sections, just turning around and leaving, or leaving and then driving over to the District Manager's house (he's like 2 blocks away), and bring him back to the store to witness the chaos.

Depends on what kind of person your DM is. I've known leaders that would, when something was brought to their attention, respond by screaming "WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE PERSONALLY FIXED EVERYTHING YOU LAZY rear end in a top hat."

:moments:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Depends on what kind of person your DM is. I've known leaders that would, when something was brought to their attention, respond by screaming "WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE PERSONALLY FIXED EVERYTHING YOU LAZY rear end in a top hat."

:moments:

used to be my direct boss until he got promoted. He was usually pretty good about yelling at the right people

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Anora posted:

used to be my direct boss until he got promoted. He was usually pretty good about yelling at the right people

Go for it then. Don't name any names unless prompted ( so it doesn't look like you're out to gently caress someone ) and let the pain train roll through.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

"WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE PERSONALLY FIXED EVERYTHING YOU LAZY rear end in a top hat."

This is basically the underlying theme of Walmart's "Store Within a Store" initiative.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Remember the store manager that said he'd get back to me after Christmas about my promotion? Guess who retired today and left the store forever before I even clocked in.

On the upside, my union steward asked me why I looked like I wanted to eat my own face. I told her. She said she'd try to do something about it. We'll see if something happens before my imminent departure.

New store manager's coming in tomorrow and if he's a hard rear end I'll just walk out.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Recently I got moved to returns, because our front-end manager needed stronger cashiers who aren't afraid to deny bullshit refunds. I thought customers would drive me crazy, but so far it's my loving coworkers that are making me want to scream. The most egregious of which is our department manager of tools being so afraid of customer complaints that he forced me to do a return on a power tool that was broken, missing a receipt, and missing pieces (so we won't get credit on it) just because the customer pulled out the ol' "i dont understand, i shop here all the time, this has never been a problem before" etc etc.

Why even have rules, right

DLTN and I have shared in PMs that we work at the same company and holy poo poo: I had the exact same issue about a month ago. I was pulled aside by management and told that "other associates" had been complaining about "my appearance" to the in-store HR manager.
remember that you can harass your employees about sweating as long as you put it in your Official Dress Code™

also i switched to an apron and its gaudy as gently caress but its better than being encased in a layer of polyester.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Remember the store manager that said he'd get back to me after Christmas about my promotion? Guess who retired today and left the store forever before I even clocked in.

On the upside, my union steward asked me why I looked like I wanted to eat my own face. I told her. She said she'd try to do something about it. We'll see if something happens before my imminent departure.

New store manager's coming in tomorrow and if he's a hard rear end I'll just walk out.

I'm starting to think that this is some Harry Potter type poo poo happening to you, that you need to be kept as a janitor or something terrible will happen, so terrible that people are willing to quit rather than promote you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm starting to think that this is some Harry Potter type poo poo happening to you, that you need to be kept as a janitor or something terrible will happen, so terrible that people are willing to quit rather than promote you.

Yesterday, one of the dudes from grocery came by my janitor alcove and said, "What'chu doin' back here? I thought you were working grocery now. You did a pretty good job during the blizzard."

gently caress me.

I explained exactly what happened. He sympathized, apologized, and told me, "Everything happens for a reason. Don't give up." I laughed in that way you laugh when you've got to because it's either that or bashing your head against the wall, thanked him, and went on with my day.

There was a notice posted that the VP of Operations was coming to our shithole store. Why? Who knows. I took the time to organize the janitor's closet, scrub the floor, and throw away the junk. Same with the bathrooms. I didn't have time to clean anything else and take care of my daily duties because I'm only pulling four hours a day.

I think corporate is cleaning house. Grocery manager? Gone. Store manager and second in command? Transferred. The third person in the chain only got here about two or three months ago. A competitor is set to open up a brand new store sometime this year, just a few blocks away. Probably has something to do with it.

Last night we had a bitch session at the front end, huddled around our schedule like hobos packed shoulder to shoulder near a flaming barrel. One of our cashiers is getting five hours a week. He used to be a bagger, but he was trained and acted as a cashier during the November-December rush. Then they transferred him, and when they did so, the computer reset his 8 month seniority to 0. He's now last in line for hours.

We discovered that the front end manager didn't actually schedule a 'closing' cashier for Friday. We never really close, but we're supposed to have a manned register open until 10. When this was pointed out to Cool Manager, he shrugged, smiled, and said, "I ain't working that night."

Still better than working at Walmart. gently caress that store.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 8, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I asked a customer to please move the bag she kept in her shopping cart, in order to see if there were any items beneath it. Something I was trained to do, and do every time the situation requires it and I remember it, which admittedly isn't always. Bad idea.

This customer was clearly an affluent type who's never been suspected of anything, because I had to listen to a solid two minutes of cringing rage that I would do such a thing, and furthermore nobody had EVER asked her that in this store.

I'm not saying she's wrong, but I'm not going to apologize for doing something I have been instructed to do. No way I'm losing my job because people are so pissy they can't handle a routine check.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

This last month has been pretty rough thanks to our fuckup of a manager who either is nowhere to be found or in general being completely useless. Its gotten so bad that both the other overnight support manager and I decided to jump ship, with him taking a dairy manager position and I was going for the unloader wrangler because that was the only one open. I wanted off not only because the managers have pissed me off, but because I think I've reached the end of anything I can learn from working overnight. My actual goal is to take the either open, or soon to be open daylight support manager spot over food.

The co-managers and above were cool with it, they just needed to find a replacement. So like two weeks go by and I hear nothing, which is fine because I know they have to actually find somebody as there are no ready-made associates to just slot in there like they did with me. I just keep hearing about how they're going to interview me for that position at some indeterminate future time. Then three nights ago, on the other support manager's last night, some jackass blabs that I'm also leaving.

I didn't tell anybody I was leaving or planning to for a number of reasons, such as it's nobody's business and more importantly, I haven't been interviewed for anything and I certainly don't have a job offer in hand with a date that I'm starting my new position. When I applied for my current position I didn't say a word about it to anybody, despite being asked if I was planning to take that position roughly a hundred times a night. I'm sure people figured it out but I sure as gently caress wasn't talking about it, not even with the support manager that desperately wanted me to take the position.

Especially not when there's no guarantee that I'll even get a position. What if I get an automatic second level coaching and can't take the job?

So for the last three nights I've had to control myself from exploding with white hot fury every time I'm asked when I'm leaving or about my job or who my replacement will be, but I feel that very quickly that ability to control myself will evaporate and I'm going to be flipping the gently caress out on anybody and everybody that comes near me.

If management does ever do my interview, I'm just going to tell them to go gently caress themselves precisely because somebody couldn't keep their goddamn mouth shut and its made my nights far more aggravating than they should be.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
They're playing musical managers here again. Beginning of the year, people getting promoted, people leaving... we had 2 re-arrangements in 2 weeks and there's now a position open for Garden department supervisor. A year ago I interviewed for that position and didn't get it but it went to a good guy. Now that it's open again people keep asking me if I want it and I just... want to leave. A lot of the people here are good people and I like my job sometimes but I'm just so tired and short-tempered lately and I can't imagine that getting promoted will make me feel any better.

I can't even manage a really good long, slow angry burn any more and that's usually what gets me through the hard days. The other night I discovered a half-empty soda can behind some merchandise... by pushing the merchandise back to put more on the shelf, and tipping it over. Sugary piss-yellow Mountain Dew all over the shelf, the pallet below, the floor.... I got mad, realized there were customers stupidly poking their way down the aisle and I couldn't scream "WHAT THE EVERLIVING gently caress@!?" at the top of my lungs, and settled into resigned frustration. I think I'm gonna spend my day off crying in the corner, in anticipation of having work the next day.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The next week or two is gonna be hell.

The only other employee my store owner trusts to close up the shop fell and broke his hip while blackout drunk and is going to be out of commission presumably indefinitely. I'm being bumped to keyholder (after three plus years which goes to show how slow promotion works here), a job that I don't want (and didn't ask for) because it'll require me to close the store six days a week. I value my evenings for things like being able to cook dinner.

Any ideas on how to impress upon the owner that we're going to need another keyholder who can close up the shop?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 8, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
You likely should have mentioned that before they actually promoted you. Now if you do a good job in that position, they'll never replace you because why would they?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Now if you do a good job in that position, they'll never replace you because why would they?

See all of my posts in this thread for further details.

Stress that you don't want the job, do so-so work, and hope your spiteful mediocrity doesn't exceed your manager's standards.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

MC Hawking posted:

Any ideas on how to impress upon the owner that we're going to need another keyholder who can close up the shop?

You're either going to have to stay up later to keep doing the same things you normally do, or start cooking in the morning.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I'm being offered a pay bump but it's a shift to salaried and I need to do the math to figure out the potential of being screwed.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 9, 2016

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

MC Hawking posted:

I'm being offered a pay bump but it's a shift to salaried and I need to do the math to figure out the potential of being screwed.

Every single salaried retail worker that I know that did the math, found out they were basically making less than minimum wage. I'm sorry for your promotion.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
There is no retail salaried job that's worth taking. Everyone I talk to says they work 50 hours minimum. Every month guarantee there's going to be at least 1 week where the salaried person will be required to come in and help due to holidays, corporate visits, covering those who are sick, forced to work because not making sales, forced to work because keep going over labor hours. So instead of doing 50 a week, they're really doing like 55 a week.

Speaking of 55 hour weeks, I had to do one last week. Whelp, guess I'll relish the paycheck in a couple days.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Thankfully it hasn't been enacted. I did the math and at the very least it'd be a $2.50/hr bump. Tiny independent retail is a different animal than corporate.

I already am effectively upper management, getting a key is pretty much the final nail in that coffin. Lines get blurred when you only have five employees.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 9, 2016

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

MC Hawking posted:

Sorry for your lots.

I've seen what upper management does to a person they made salary. Literally nothing could make me accept becoming salaried while working retail.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Start conspicuously searching for other jobs while on the clock, leave job search-related printouts stuffed under keyboards or in trash cans where the owner might "accidentally" find them, occasionally complain about how much you miss your wife/kids/pets/house and how long this week has been and how you can't wait to go home and drink. Show up in the morning with sunglasses on and let people assume you're hung over (but never confirm it and act unusually cheerful occasionally, just to throw them off). Drag rear end on getting non-essential things done. Occasionally ignore calls to help customers in favor spending of 30 more seconds of your favorite phone game while hiding in the office. Generally be a perfect example of underpaid, overworked, over-educated-but-can't-get-a-better-job retail management. If that doesn't work, tell your boss straight-up that you're gonna need nights off to take care of your ailing parent/grandparent because nobody else can and you can't get anybody to agree on putting them in a care home and it's all so stressful and *sob*...

Or just put in your two weeks notice and find a management position elsewhere because if you have "management experience" it's apparently easier to jump ship and get hired at just about any place that wants a middle manager.

*shrug* Good luck either way. Getting extra responsibility sucks, tbqh.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Actually, getting a huge (by retail standards) raise and the ability to put "manager" on your resume in a tiny store is awesome and you should do it, instead of listening to these self-loathing goobers.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Actually, getting a huge (by retail standards) raise and the ability to put "manager" on your resume in a tiny store is awesome and you should do it, instead of listening to these self-loathing goobers.

From what I've heard, being a retail manager isn't actually that impressive unless you want to work in retail management.

It wouldn't be a bad job if it didn't always mean insane hours for little money. I heard that Obama was pushing a law to cut back on abuse of salaried workers, but I haven't seen anything about it in forever.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

From what I've heard, being a retail manager isn't actually that impressive unless you want to work in retail management.

Anecdotally, I can say that this isn't always true. I got hired as a teacher by an ex-Coast Guard guy who acknowledged in my interview how difficult a job retail management truly can be. The skills overlap with many fields, and the experiences with difficult customers and co-workers can translate to excellent responses on the sort of behavioral questions that many interviews these days ask.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Thanks for the positive response. I'm trying to not be terribly specific about the terms and conditions of said bump but it's going to be for the same hours or even less hours total but constant commensurate pay. I'm still running math and me and the boss haven't spoken about it further at this time since we're still hashing out staffing in the interim since busted hip guy is still looped out of his gourd on heavy painkillers at the hospital. I've been keyholder-ed/Security-Coded and I'm making out a closeout procedure book (again). The Boss is the kinda guy who you have to work him up to enacting policies which will benefit him so I'm doing my best to give him a bunch of different contingencies in the event Busted Hip Guy comes back to work/doesn't come back to work/comes back on a very limited basis.

For all intents and purposes I'm already running the store as direct right hand of the Boss. When I was hired on it was just as a register monkey but I filled the roles that needed doing over time. I handle all the inventory control, I coordinate hours with the (few) other employees, and screen hires/interview people. I've created manuals for IT support* and job duty lists. I duel with pushy salespeople, explore new revenue streams (currently trying to enact app based booze delivery), and even clean the goddamn bathroom since nobody else can be bothered to do it. When I got here there was no organization to speak of, special orders was a pipe dream and it was absolutely filthy.

I've always thrived in small business environments like this where I can fill in the gaps that are needed. The shop owner is a lovely man who pulled me, an unemployed fuckup essentially off the street with only tangentially related work experience and set me loose to try and Make poo poo Better. This may be that I'm finally getting what I've been working towards but it's gonna take sitting down and actually discussing terms. It'd just be awesome if we could wrangle it so I can take two days off a week. I'm on 3.5 years of six days 95% full time and it's getting old. Hell, maybe I'm a sucker for putting up with that poo poo for so long but now we have an opportunity to change things for the better.

I am Retail Uubermench Robot, beep bop fear my superior customer service skills. No it is not free because it didn't ring up i will end your puny meatbag life

*This is a fun story. So as I've mentioned here and there the POS software was written in the early 1990s and is a shitpile of bad coding. On more than a few occasions I've had to get the writer of the software on the phone and have him guide me through troubleshooting and fixing database overflows. The last time this happened it was during work hours on the only register on a holiday weekend. You haven't experienced adrenaline till you've done a thousand dollar hour by hand, mostly in cash while trying to simultaneously run debugs/hotfixes (as you're recording every transaction on paper so it can be entered into the POS later) with a prattling weirdo on the phone who is more interested in explaining database design instead of loving JUST FIX IT a thousand miles away. That poo poo was absolutely insane and a large reason for my last pay bump.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It wouldn't be a bad job if it didn't always mean insane hours for little money. I heard that Obama was pushing a law to cut back on abuse of salaried workers, but I haven't seen anything about it in forever.

Well, you can make it from supermarket ground dude to manage a high-end retail store with less stress, so there is that. Also, plenty of people go on to other careers using their retail management experience.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I escaped the hellscape of retail a couple years ago, but I have a story I think fits here.

I work at an office as the office administrator; I answer the phone, keep everything stocked, direct people where they need to be, and basically keep everything running smoothly. We're situated near several things that have paid parking, and so we had a mounting problem with people parking in our lot and then walking to other places nearby (thus leaving no room for our clients). So we got a tow company to put up signs saying "this is private parking for [address], if your car is towed call [towing] at 867-5309" and they put someone in the lot to tow people who parked and then went anywhere but inside our building.

This, as you can imagine, led to a good number of people coming in and asking where their car went; and I, being a merciful lord deskie, told them. And people would come up with all sorts of wonderful things to say to try to beg/threaten/otherwise cajole me into bringing their car back to them for free. Being that these people were clearly not our clients and were not ever going to be, I was given every retail employee's dream: carte blanche in what to tell these people. Such timeless classics include:

quote:

But I was only parked there 5 minutes!
A: It doesn't matter because that would be 5 minutes too many, and B: You're a liar, because unless you're talking about a different beige camry with 13 cat stickers along the rear windshield, that was towed over an hour ago.

quote:

I didn't see any signs!
Oh really? You didn't see the sign as you come down the main inlet road, the two signs on either side of the entrance (including one just underneath a stop sign), and the sign on the little tree island that marks the beginning of parking spots? Because if you didn't, you shouldn't be driving with such poor eyesight.

quote:

I'm gonna sue you!
Good luck with that. Finding a civil attorney willing to take the case might be tough what with all the concrete evidence of you being a dumbass who can't follow simple instructions, but hope springs eternal.

A couple of notable events: One was a woman who tried literally every sympathy card she could muster. It was her birthday AND she just lost her job AND her mom is sick AND her dog ran away AND she was only there for a minute, couldn't I just say that she worked there and that it was a mistake, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease? No, I won't. That would be a hassle for me and defeat the entire purpose of towing. After about ten minutes of pleading and bullshitting, she sighs, then grabs a business card off the card holder and runs. I see her standing around just on the edge of the lot on her phone, and about 5 minutes after the begging I get a call from said tow company asking if she works there, saying that one of our sales guys is "the boss". I laugh, say no she doesn't work here and he is definitely not the boss. She comes back in all sour-faced with "why can't you just help me out?!" and I tell her to wait outside, but she can keep the card if she wants. She threw it in the trash instead.

The best one by far was the guy who came in several hours after getting towed, in full 90s thug-gangster regalia, claiming he had a work tag and was allowed to park there. Except that he(obviously) didn't, and when asked what his work address was he named something a full block away. Told him he was SOL and to pay attention to the signs next time and he flips his poo poo. Starts accusing me of lying to him about the parking/address, of being racist, of extortion, etc. Then he threatens to "kick [my] rear end" if I don't get his car back, to which I laugh and call 911. He loving waits for the cops to show up and they take him into custody. I give my statement and offer our security camera feed. Last I heard he had some other warrant out for his arrest and wouldn't be leaving the county bed & breakfast for a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Yawgmoth posted:

I escaped the hellscape of retail a couple years ago, but I have a story I think fits here.

I work at an office as the office administrator; I answer the phone, keep everything stocked, direct people where they need to be, and basically keep everything running smoothly. We're situated near several things that have paid parking, and so we had a mounting problem with people parking in our lot and then walking to other places nearby (thus leaving no room for our clients). So we got a tow company to put up signs saying "this is private parking for [address], if your car is towed call [towing] at 867-5309" and they put someone in the lot to tow people who parked and then went anywhere but inside our building.

This, as you can imagine, led to a good number of people coming in and asking where their car went; and I, being a merciful lord deskie, told them. And people would come up with all sorts of wonderful things to say to try to beg/threaten/otherwise cajole me into bringing their car back to them for free. Being that these people were clearly not our clients and were not ever going to be, I was given every retail employee's dream: carte blanche in what to tell these people. Such timeless classics include:
A: It doesn't matter because that would be 5 minutes too many, and B: You're a liar, because unless you're talking about a different beige camry with 13 cat stickers along the rear windshield, that was towed over an hour ago.
Oh really? You didn't see the sign as you come down the main inlet road, the two signs on either side of the entrance (including one just underneath a stop sign), and the sign on the little tree island that marks the beginning of parking spots? Because if you didn't, you shouldn't be driving with such poor eyesight.
Good luck with that. Finding a civil attorney willing to take the case might be tough what with all the concrete evidence of you being a dumbass who can't follow simple instructions, but hope springs eternal.

A couple of notable events: One was a woman who tried literally every sympathy card she could muster. It was her birthday AND she just lost her job AND her mom is sick AND her dog ran away AND she was only there for a minute, couldn't I just say that she worked there and that it was a mistake, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease? No, I won't. That would be a hassle for me and defeat the entire purpose of towing. After about ten minutes of pleading and bullshitting, she sighs, then grabs a business card off the card holder and runs. I see her standing around just on the edge of the lot on her phone, and about 5 minutes after the begging I get a call from said tow company asking if she works there, saying that one of our sales guys is "the boss". I laugh, say no she doesn't work here and he is definitely not the boss. She comes back in all sour-faced with "why can't you just help me out?!" and I tell her to wait outside, but she can keep the card if she wants. She threw it in the trash instead.

The best one by far was the guy who came in several hours after getting towed, in full 90s thug-gangster regalia, claiming he had a work tag and was allowed to park there. Except that he(obviously) didn't, and when asked what his work address was he named something a full block away. Told him he was SOL and to pay attention to the signs next time and he flips his poo poo. Starts accusing me of lying to him about the parking/address, of being racist, of extortion, etc. Then he threatens to "kick [my] rear end" if I don't get his car back, to which I laugh and call 911. He loving waits for the cops to show up and they take him into custody. I give my statement and offer our security camera feed. Last I heard he had some other warrant out for his arrest and wouldn't be leaving the county bed & breakfast for a long while.

This is the best, most heartening retail story I have ever heard.