Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I was just paid severance to quit after I put in my two weeks notice because the store is hemorrhaging employees and they were afraid of my "disengagement" affecting other employees.

loving sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I was just paid severance to quit after I put in my two weeks notice because the store is hemorrhaging employees and they were afraid of my "disengagement" affecting other employees.

loving sweet.

Hahah, I just went to pick up my final paycheck from my previous job--which I had stormed out of halfway into my two week notice--and it was for my full 80 hour salary instead of the 50 or so hours it should have been. I am stupidly honest to a fault so I told my old boss about it and he said not to worry about it, which means he was too lazy to actually fix it or he had finally reached his douchebag limit (because god knows I had worked plenty of unpaid extra hours or come in on my days off, etc.). Either way, I guess I won.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I have to admit I'm really surprised. They just pulled me into the office at the start of my shift and said if I leave now, they will give me two weeks pay from this point on. They said it was because I "did the right thing" by giving a two weeks notice and I've always been a good employee, but they were worried my "disengagement" would affect morale even more than it already is. I don't see how paying me off to work less helps with morale, as now the remaining staff in the department have to pick up 40 hours of slack for two weeks, but okay, whatever. I'll take it.

Since I'd already worked five days of my last two weeks, I'm basically getting a literally free 40 hours on my final paycheck, plus cashing out my holiday and sick time.

I have no idea what I did to deserve this, but I'm happy!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Congrats dude, best of luck to you.

I have to quit and I have to do it soon. I'm this close to losing my poo poo with the customers because of how neglectful upper management is with fixing anything or helping us. Nobody will come help us cover the hours and the other manager is thinking of quitting. Put this on top of the fact that the company is trying to sell us (and a lot of their theaters to boot), my time is limited anyway.

The main obstacle is that I'm 26 and terrified of disappointing my parents by quitting and not having anything lined up. I want to leave and try to find something else while I'm unemployed, but I live with them rent free and I've already mentioned wanting to bail and put my 2 weeks in. The response was "just wait until you have something else". This just makes me feel patheric on top of being angry and tired.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hostile V posted:

Congrats dude, best of luck to you.

I have to quit and I have to do it soon. I'm this close to losing my poo poo with the customers because of how neglectful upper management is with fixing anything or helping us. Nobody will come help us cover the hours and the other manager is thinking of quitting. Put this on top of the fact that the company is trying to sell us (and a lot of their theaters to boot), my time is limited anyway.

The main obstacle is that I'm 26 and terrified of disappointing my parents by quitting and not having anything lined up. I want to leave and try to find something else while I'm unemployed, but I live with them rent free and I've already mentioned wanting to bail and put my 2 weeks in. The response was "just wait until you have something else". This just makes me feel patheric on top of being angry and tired.
Tell them you can't find something else while working this shithole job because it leaves you too brain-addled and physically dead to job hunt, on top of being a detriment to your existence.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
I worked in retail and food through school. I got to page like 6 and just stopped reading thanks for the flashbacks and good luck getting the gently caress out of retail.
I can confirm that the stupidest, droolingest, piece of poo poo mother fuckers in the entire loving goddamned world shop at K Mart and eat at Arby's.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yawgmoth posted:

Tell them you can't find something else while working this shithole job because it leaves you too brain-addled and physically dead to job hunt, on top of being a detriment to your existence.
It's not really just that. I've been in the process of applying and looking since November and I haven't heard a drat thing back from anyone. Don't get me wrong, when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is anything followed a hour later by an intense feeling that I'm wasting my life and time doing nothing. It's, like, peak frustration and anger finally coming to a head because everything is breaking the gently caress down here. At the very least I need to find an outlet for my anger or figure out how to harness it (won't lie, posting in this thread helps).

So what do you guys do to blow off steam? Honestly, there's a local gun range I'm considering looking at to go like once a week and try revolvers or rifles. Ideally I would write. But I want to hear what you guys do to blow off steam and scream that isn't drinking.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Picked up some grub at the store today, and my paycheck. One of the cashiers looked at me and said, "YOU STILL WORK HERE?!"

These loving hours, man. New schedules are posted tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have another 16 hour janitor week. Thinking I'll call HR in the store across town and ask what kind of openings they have. Maybe I can get a transfer into a better position. :emo:

Hostile V posted:

So what do you guys do to blow off steam? Honestly, there's a local gun range I'm considering looking at to go like once a week and try revolvers or rifles. Ideally I would write. But I want to hear what you guys do to blow off steam and scream that isn't drinking.

Use .22s. They're a lot more fun to shoot than bigger guns, and a lot cheaper.

I do one of two things when I get home from work: Either get drunk and write, or I get drunk and play Counter Strike. Shooting strangers on the internet is very therapeutic.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Hostile V posted:

I do powerlifting

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Facebook gem matching games are very relaxing.

I'm wasting my goddamn life. I'm going to go put some more job applications in. My biggest problem at this point is that I can't muster any kind of faux enthusiasm for the applications, even for the jobs I think I'd really enjoy. I look at their "cover letter" field and want to write "My retail job is literally causing the death of all joy in this world; please hire me! I promise I'll smile through the tears!". So I haven't been writing cover letters at all, which of course hurts my chances of getting through to an actual person and not getting pre-pre-screened out of the hiring process, but goddamnit. Why do I have to lie/talk pretty on a loving application? I want a job, you have a job opening. I fill your requirements, don't smell and have a valid driver's license and no criminal record. There is no proof that interviews or screenings correlate to longer tenures or better job performance, so your entire screening process is just a waste of time for an entry-level position that's likely to be vacant again by next year. Let's talk salary and benefits already.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I feel like "if you don't have a ticket you don't get in" is the one rule a theater has, and yet people are SHOCKED to learn this every day.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I haven't worked retail in about 15 years, but enjoy reading this thread nonetheless. Decades later, I still remember certain terrible customer interactions and horrible co-workers with greater clarity than actual meaningful events in my life, which is pretty sad, really. I mean, it's not like I dwell on that nonsense, but the helplessness of not being able to speak your mind without financial repercussions and the hopelessness that follow are absolutely soul-crushing.

My stories aren't that great, but I remembered a book I read awhile back by a guy who constantly quit lovely jobs. It's self-published, so the editing is a little uneven, but I remember it being cathartic and funny even years after I'd already left retail.

Jobjumper by Phil Irwin

I was looking for a link and actual paper copies are crazy expensive on Amazon, but I you can find them here:

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/product.php?product=547&sd=EEpvHzA1UtCbl7gXrzw

Anyway, do what you will with the random suggestion of an internet stranger.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Preechr posted:

This is the best, most heartening retail story I have ever heard.
:kimchi:

I remembered another one. It starts on a beautifully slow spring afternoon; the sun is out, the wind is cool, and the assholes are petulant and entitled. A man storms in, demanding to speak to "someone in charge" and since I'm charge of telling people who got towed to go gently caress themselves, I ask him how I can help. He's mad because he parked "in the back" for a couple of days and got towed. (There's no real "in the back", mind you; we have about 3 rows of parking along one side of the building.)

:buddy:: Yep, that'll happen when you park in very clearly marked private parking without permission.
:byodood:: Well I didn't see any signs saying this was only parking for this building!
:buddy:: Really? You didn't see any of the six or so signs we have out there, including one I can see from where I'm sitting?
:byodood:: No! You're lying, there's no visible signs!
:buddy:: Okay, let's go out and see the signs. There's one, it's big and red and reflective. There's another with a stop sign directly over it, directly across from a third. The only way you miss those is if you're looking directly forward, which forces a fourth one into your field of view.
:byodood:: Well I came in the other way!
:buddy:: You came in the other way, which has two giant DO NOT ENTER signs on either side? Because next to each of those is another "private parking, you'll be towed" sign.
:byodood:: You don't understand. I'm a pilot.
:raise:: You're right, I don't understand how being a pilot gives you the right to park whenever the gently caress you feel like. Please, explain that to me.
:byodood:, flustered: I want to talk to your superior!
:buddy:: And I want to know who you're a pilot for, so I make sure to never fly it. You might taxi us into a fuel truck you don't see. Tow truck's number is on every sign, if you come in the office I'm calling the police.
:byodood:: [incoherent swearing about scams/extortion]

Oh_Yeah
Jul 4, 2009

princecoo posted:

general woolworths business practice...

Woolworths right? Used to work for this company and I worked in 3 different stores in two different states. Some things I'd witness were the assistant store manager punching dents in the produce freezer (he could not handle his anger) and the store manager trying to hock that Isogenix MLM scam poo poo within the store. Did they ever try stooge you on hours if you worked over 38 by cutting your hours the next week and taking on the extra hours you worked the week before to avoid paying you penalties?
Every store I was at did that. I ended up quitting and working elsewhere whilst finishing my degree. Every other poo poo kicker job was bliss compared to woolies. All managers at woolies were a special, egomaniac type of breed. I still remember one conversation with my night-fill manager:

:cop:"Oh_yeah... tell me when you should open a box to fill the shelf and keep the rest as overs?"
:confused:"Around 1/3rd"
:cop:No, you do it when roughly 30% of the stock in the box will go on"
:confused:"OK, I'll keep that in mind"

When I took my sick leave and then annual leave before I quit I'd scan my staff card at everyones self serve checkout so they'd get a discount. Now I don't shop there anymore

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Hostile V posted:

Shooting really is fun and I second the comment to try a .22. You can buy decent .22 rifles for as low as ~$150 new, and even less used, and ammo is $30-40 for a brick of 500 which is quite a bit if you aren't going for hours. I own a Ruger 10/22 and I love going to the range.

That said, I drink after work pretty often, but that's not what you wanted to hear. Recently I've been playing a lot of Dwarf Fortress, if you want to play something that will literally absorb your life after you get over the cliff-face like learning curve.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I have nice memories of shooting 22s a few times at camp so that's definitely something for me to look into.

My anger has generally subsided down into "let's get the gently caress out" over the past few days, so hopefully I can get this job ball rolling more than it has been.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Another new schedule, another week of 16 hours. Just to make things difficult I got two 4 hour shifts and an 8 hour instead of the 4 hours I've come to know and love. Man, gently caress it. I think I'll just straight up ask HR for a transfer loving anywhere else in the store. Then I'll call the store across town.

What am I supposed to do with 16 hour weeks? That wouldn't cover a lease in a dumpster.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Man I'm lucky. I got scheduled 12:30 - 6 as part of of our lot crew today. On the coldest day of the year so far. Under 20°, 20 mph winds with gusts of 25+. And then I was scheduled 6 to 9 to help the night crew out stocking the freezer.

Today sucked. I made a compromise and instead of staying until 9, I stayed until the lot was donestablished 100% and went home. 7 (6.5 because of lunch) hours of mobbing around out there today was brutal. I had on a total of 14 different assorted items. Three pairs of socks, long johns/sweats/jeans, gloves, beanie, balaclava.

Still kicked my rear end. I guess it's a good workout though? Our store doesn't have the machine helper thing that pushes them from the back. At our building we get a rope with a clip on one end and a knot at the other.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Working outside isn't that bad if you're prepared for the weather. It's better than the front end, even when you factor in your inevitable death by Cadillac.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I swear to god the next person who comes up to me and goes "So, why do they have you working on [holiday]?"....

:fuckoff: ...BECAUSE YOU'RE loving SHOPPING ON [HOLIDAY], YOU MENTALLY DEFICIENT WASTE OF SPACE.

The last guy who said it was a genial older gentleman.

:colbert: "You're the fifth person to ask me that. You owe me a nickel."

...he came back after checking out just to drop a nickel on my desk. :v:

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

I had a customer who failed to explain what he wanted me to do for him (i still have no idea, beyond a guess), then when I told him that i wasn't understanding and asked him clarifying questions, he said "never mind, just [do this other thing]."

Then when I did the ~other thing~, he went on a tangent about how THIS is why he DIDNT want to do it this way, and how i dont understand his issue because its NOT MY MONEY im messing with and blah blah blah. When he realized that I'd started ignoring everything he was saying, because he was now cursing me out for his failure to help me help him, he claimed I have an attitude problem and then mistook a nearby employee for my manager and lodged an 'official' complaint about me.

Honestly it was hilarious and it was the highlight of my day.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
So today was fun.

I got flirted with by a really nice attractive young person.
I had a perfectly ripened banana.
I was told my eyes were beautiful.
I managed to make someone laugh really hard with an incredibly dumb joke.
I was only talked poo poo to once for not giving a discount to a customer for a $4 bottle.
I outlined some good plans to cover staffing while broken hip guy is out of commission to my boss and he nodded at a few and said he'd think about it. Based on historical data I'd say this is a drat good sign. Normally I'd just get a grunt.
Broken Hip Guy showed up fifteen to close (seemingly directly from the hospital) to try and conduct job duties. He spent five minutes on crutches to get in the door (couldn't open the door) and seemed panicked that we'd already done all of his regular stuff without any issues. Said he'd be in for his shift tomorrow at 4. I called my boss who told him to go home.

Tomorrow is going to be fun while I explain to my boss what FMLA is and how badly he needs to cover his rear end if he even is beginning to consider letting this guy back into the store. He was a liability before with random spaz outs and threatening employees and customers before but now he is about to kill himself by trying to work (while simultaneously unable to actually do any job duties) and I am not going to be the one coddling this trainwreck into the ground.

The lovecraftian horror comes from within the shop today. :getin:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
A man old enough to be my grandfather had a hissy fit in the aisle and tried to slam his styrofoam coffee cup into the floor and stomp off because neither I (already engaged with a customer) nor my coworker (who came around the corner to help yet another customer and was blindsided into helping the old man instead) would hand-hold him to the item he thought he wanted but apparently couldn't describe.

I am so over this poo poo. I just blinked at him and went back to cutting blinds. I think I need therapy but my overpriced health insurance package doesn't cover psych care.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I was doing some grocery shopping after work, so still in uniform, and while I was at the self-checkout, an elderly man approached me and demanded his shopping helper. Looks like someone hosed up the Senior Discount Days because the buses dropped them all off the day after, so already the people were pissy. I tried to explain to the guy I didn't in fact work there, which went over as well as you'd expect. What I got from his garbled half-screams were that he needed a shopper to help him get his groceries and he wanted it right now. Despite the fact every register was open, lines were huge, and half the registers had no baggers. I finally palmed him off on the cashier working self-checkout and escaped before he exploded on her that there was no staff open to take him from aisle to aisle.

In other news, there was a guy, H, who was decent enough at work. He had a bad tendency to be one of those followers, who would walk away from his duties to chat up someone, and would have to be yelled at to come back to work. Also had the bad tendency to follow you out, still talking nonstop about Dr Who or something nerdy while you were walking the gently caress away, and only when the door closed did he wander back to work. Like an NPC of a video game, right? Also had the bad tendency to clock in, then wander outside to his car to sleep for an hour. Or longer. Now, he worked overnights so I guess the crew had some system of "you take a 15 min break twice together, that equals a paid 30" but people were sick of covering for him. That and he was constantly changing his time card to pad his hours. So rear end in a top hat got fired. The really dumb thing is there are cameras EVERYWHERE and for security, we have badges to scan in and out of certain areas. So it was pretty loving easy to track him across his daily vaunts.

Similarly at another store, an old friend of mine decided, for whatever reason, to pad his hours. By going in to the store on its closed day, Sunday, and working 4-5 hours. Or at least clocking in, using the computer, etc. Now, this went on for months. And the idiot even brought his toddler kids in, so customers could clearly see them running around. At some point the manager wised up and realized he was getting himself an extra 6-8 hours a week with his constant time card edits. And on his day off. The day the store was closed. WTF goes through your mind at that point to go to work on your one off day, the one day the store is closed, and chill there with two screaming kids all loving day?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cowslips Warren posted:

WTF goes through your mind at that point to go to work on your one off day, the one day the store is closed, and chill there with two screaming kids all loving day?
My guess would be "well I have to babysit these kids anyways, I may as well get paid extra to do it." It's dumb as hell but I can at least trace the logic.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

My job gives me conflicted feelings. On the one hand, I have garbage hours, garbage duties, and I'm bored out of my skull most of the time. On the other hand, I get sent home early when I'm not feeling well, I genuinely like most of my co-workers, and the new store managers might actually be... ok. The benefits are good, too. A week of vacation, personal days, union-negotiated health insurance plans...

Tonight I got ahold of one of the new store managers, alone and in his office. I just asked, "What do I have to do to get out of janitorial?" Then I explained what happened as politely and quickly as I could, and thanked him for his time. He said he thought it would be a good idea to move me into a new position with more hours.

So long as this doesn't turn into some horrible monkey's paw bullshit where they make me a full-time cashier, I would be grateful to receive any other position.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You're going to be made into a full time cashier. At least you'll have new and amusing things to whine endlessly about.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

MC Hawking posted:

You're going to be made into a full time cashier. At least you'll have new and amusing things to whine endlessly about.

Yea, I got trained on to be a cashier to help out and get some combo shifts. It was great for awhile, getting an extra 5-10 hours a week off it. Then the person who normally wrote the schedule came back and I stopped getting combo shifts. Last week she asked me if I was going to apply for the cashier position they had posted. I finally got my schedule somewhat predicable by training on the dock as well as my regular duties. I said no thanks. I now only have to deal with customers for 2 hours each shift, it is wonderful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Am I the only one here who would rather work front end than any other department in the store?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Am I the only one here who would rather work front end than any other department in the store?

I actually liked the front end when I was at Wal-Mart. Most of the people I met were OK, the registers were new and easy to use, and I got far away from my horrible manager. When things died down I could close out my register and walk away instead of standing there.

It would suck at the current store. Our registers are so ancient that the plastic has long since made the shift from battleship grey to urea yellow. Everything is finicky only kind of works. Half the security cameras in the building just cut out two weeks ago, and nobody knows why. They're just down.

Then there's the fact that grocery stores attract couponers, and senior citizens, and a whole bunch of other people that just refuse to buy their poo poo and leave.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

In other news, there was a guy, H, who was decent enough at work. He had a bad tendency to be one of those followers, who would walk away from his duties to chat up someone, and would have to be yelled at to come back to work. Also had the bad tendency to follow you out, still talking nonstop about Dr Who or something nerdy while you were walking the gently caress away, and only when the door closed did he wander back to work. Like an NPC of a video game, right? Also had the bad tendency to clock in, then wander outside to his car to sleep for an hour. Or longer. Now, he worked overnights so I guess the crew had some system of "you take a 15 min break twice together, that equals a paid 30" but people were sick of covering for him. That and he was constantly changing his time card to pad his hours. So rear end in a top hat got fired. The really dumb thing is there are cameras EVERYWHERE and for security, we have badges to scan in and out of certain areas. So it was pretty loving easy to track him across his daily vaunts.

You have a really weird definition of "decent enough at work".

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I highly suspect the front end of grocery stores in the US is different than other countries, mostly due to customer behavior. Our company has spent a great amount of time and money to collect data from customers on their likes and dislikes and shopping trends while in the store. It turns out here that by the time they are done shopping, they just want to be instantly checked out and head on home.

Unfortunately for the front end, it is they who deal with the brunt of the problems customers have with their shopping experience.
- Customer grabbed wrong item for a coupon? They bitch out cashier and bagger has to run off to get correct item, thus holding up the line.
- Customer misread tag or sign? They bitch out cashier and make bagger go fetch a cheaper alternative.
- Customer dealt with a 'rude' deli clerk? They bitch out cashier to make them feel better since usually management isn't easily found.
- Customer couldn't buy that one item because we're out of stock? They bitch out cashier to let us know we suck.
- Customer sick of waiting in line (usually due to all of the above)? Bitch out the cashier.

What's more, cashiers deal with money, that means if there's an honest mistake in a transaction and they come up short when counting their till, they get reamed. Cashiers have to stand in 3x3 ft area for majority of their shift, and they always having to ask or beg front end management to relieve them when they need to piss or poo poo. Depending on when their shift is, they may not even have time to have a quick chat with a fellow coworker. Also where I work, front end workers get shafted in the amount of hours they work and when. Basically they're much more easier to replace than those in the service departments, so our company doesn't give a gently caress how few hours baggers and cashiers get.

As a non-front end worker, I poo poo and piss and take breaks when I want. Depending on what I'm working on, I can have a conversation with a coworker while doing my job since I don't work on the sales floor my entire shift. Speaking of which, I don't have to deal with the whiny petty poo poo head customers for my entire shift since some of my work needs to be done off the sales floor.

TL:DR
Front end sucks in the US.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
A couple years back I worked in receiving at my store. Those were the good old days. I never really had to deal with people, other then the rare occasion when someone would wander back looking for someone to help them. Now I work on the floor every day and people come up to me all the time and ask mostly stupid bullshit questions. It's not too bad though. At least I don't work on the front end, that would be so much worse.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Patchwork Shaman posted:

You have a really weird definition of "decent enough at work".

He was decent to me, compared to the sexually harrassing rear end in a top hat (the lady he kept bothering was afraid to go to the managers so the rest of the crew took him aside and told him to knock it off, or things would happen and no one would hear him.), the ultra religious rear end in a top hat, the super judgmental rear end in a top hat (who oddly enough was not religious), to the girl who refused to take in new orders because she wanted to finish the ones due next week, and the ultra bitch who did favors all the time for her favorite clients and would send everyone else scrabbling to play catchup. Oh, and the oval office who would clock in and then do homework for six hours of her eight hour shift, leaving the machines to backlog, and then would be in a frenzy when someone else came in and found her eight hours behind. Management doesn't want to fire her for some reason so they just redid the entire schedule so someone else is always working with her so she can't cut out like that again.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

So this lady comes in with returns, and while standing in line asks a couple what their kids astral sign is, leading me to believe this lady was a big old hippy who would be strange yet palatable. I was wrong.

The return went normally, she asked me what my astral sign was and ~wow~ we have the same sign, the usual cashier small talk crap. After I finished the return, she said, "I'm gonna go walk around the store then I have a question to ask you."

After she walked off my manager came over and told me this is the very same lady who keeps calling all the employees uneducated idiots, and being a general racist rear end in a top hat about our clientele. I was shocked, because although I had seen her before, I just assumed they couldn't have been the same people because she was so kind to me.

Then, like an hour later she comes back up to check out, and finally shows her true nature by saying, "This is what I wanted to talk to you about, these god drat mexicans keep cutting in line and none of you seem to notice or stop it.", I was taken aback, because what she is referring to is that the family usually shops together with one cart, and then each make purchases out of the cart one at a time. So I said, "Ma'am, their race has absolutely nothing to do with it, and they are waiting in line same as you." She got kinda wide eyed and retorted, "It may not be their race, but it has everything to do with their culture! And what about those Indians who are always coming in here? They are so god drat rude, and always take forever when they're making purchases! Always counting out their change and checking their items!"

She just kept rambling racist poo poo so I finally said in a voice I hoped was a perfect balance between stern and nice, "I don't agree with you, and I'd like you to stop. If you see people actually cutting the line, say something, and we will take care of it."

Surprisingly, she didn't insult my experience or education like every other person who has had the displeasure of serving her after I made it clear I wasn't going to listen to her toxic bullshit. In fact, she stayed polite to me and even went on to try and be friendly with me. I sorta have the feeling that it's because I am the only white male cashier in the entire place. Holy hell, that is the only customer I've had to help where I could feel myself walking a tightrope between standing up for what I believe and not having a job.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Dear middle-aged dude,
You are not entitled to hitting on a 21 year old just because she works at a lingerie store. Stop being a creepy gently caress.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The front end manager, who has never worked janitorial in her life, has decided that she knows how to do my job better than I. She's taken to paging me with useless commands to do what I'm already doing, or ordering me to do my work in ways that would take twice as long ( because it's faster this way! :eng99: ).

As the only janitor that completes his work on a nightly basis, I've taken to ignoring her.

It's a fun game we play.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What I love about my job is when I get called in. I especially love it cause for whatever reason its like the days I get called in is when the customers amp it up to 11 and become even more terrible, its as if the person who was supposed to work knew the customers were going to be so insufferable and called out.

What I really love is the combination of the above stressing me out that I go home and don't want to do anything, and people call out multiple days in a row that for work tomorrow (oh, I'll be working till 9 and have to come back at 6 in the morning) I'll be wearing dirty clothes cause I haven't had laundry and was going to do it today, on my day off, but I got called in :shepface:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Leal posted:

What I love about my job is when I get called in. I especially love it cause for whatever reason its like the days I get called in is when the customers amp it up to 11 and become even more terrible, its as if the person who was supposed to work knew the customers were going to be so insufferable and called out.

What I really love is the combination of the above stressing me out that I go home and don't want to do anything, and people call out multiple days in a row that for work tomorrow (oh, I'll be working till 9 and have to come back at 6 in the morning) I'll be wearing dirty clothes cause I haven't had laundry and was going to do it today, on my day off, but I got called in :shepface:

Have you tried saying no or just not picking up the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Have you tried saying no or just not picking up the phone

yeah i just screen phonecalls from my work place and call back if i feel like it