Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

roboshit posted:

Don't worry, it won't be.

Yeah, you called it. But, not because of customer idiocy (just yet).

I work for a bookstore chain (not B&N). It's pretty laid back. Just wanted to point out that so far, the funniest thing I heard all week was from an older, black woman looking through our collectible tin signs. One of the tins must have had the king on it, because she just blurts out "Boy, the Elvis Presley is one good lookin' white boy. But they ain't got no Michael Jackson!"

Contrast that to a woman who is having a tearful conversation with her family over a phone, because she's arranging a funeral. She bought a $1.49 book about how to bury the dead, while sobbing... I didn't get say my usual "Have a great day" after that transaction...

Oh, well. I'm off until Friday. So far, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
The grocery store I work for just went under a huge change where tons of product was moved to different aisles and sections of the store. The store is located right across the street from a massive retirement community, so we get tons of old folks in our store (actually, since I've been there, we've had a few people keel over and die in our store, crazy).

Old folks do not like change, they flat out revolt. Everyone's been telling me horror stories about customer complaints and arguments, so on and so on. I've been lucky to avoid most of it, I'll get the random bitching but nothing fierce... until the other night.

This guy gets into a 10 minute debate with me over why they made the changes, how our competition is going to blow us out of the water, and we've angered a lot of people. We go back and forth until the end of the debate where we have the following exchange.

Him: "Are you trying to go out of business?"
Me: "No sir... I've got bills to pay."
Him: "... uh, ah... No, I mean is the company trying to go out of business?"
Me: "No sir... I don't think that would be a very sound business strategy."

He looked at me kind of perplexed, patted me on the shoulder and said "Well... I uh... just wanted to give you some things to think about..." and walked off.

Yeah, after ten years I've kind of stopped trying to be nice to everyone.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Boondock Saint posted:

Any other goons work for Geek Squad/Best Buy have any advice or knowledge I should know?

This is a bit late and I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but the single best thing you can do is not promise time frames or guarantee the successful repair of anything, even if you know you can probably fix it in no time flat, because it will come back to bite you in the rear end in supremely terrible ways far too often.

I'm easily the most experienced IT guy in my store, and because of that I get pulled away for 10,000 different things all over the place, none of which involve actually fixing client computers. Due to this twisted logic the vast majority of actual repair work falls to the rest of my guys. They're not bad at what they do, hell some are genuinely good at it and will become great techs with time, but things I consider easy sometimes go right over their heads and these "easy fixes" will occasionally sit for days before I can get to them.

Don't promise anything, be honest, be decisive. My pet peeve is that some techs will hide themselves away in the repair room (i.e. not be at the front desk checking in clients) and they'll let things sit around waiting for a second opinion from me or another one of my experienced techs even though every sign possible points to a single, definitive answer. If it fails 2 HDD tests and boots to a BSOD that says "Unmountable Boot Volume", go ahead and call it and close the tag.

Also, abandon any hope you have for humanity.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MrDorf posted:

Words.
Also, abandon any hope you have for humanity.

hahaha, noted, although I lost hope for humanity long ago thanks to Bank of America and Gamestop. They actually ended up making me a Counter-Ops agent so I answer phones and take care of shipments/customer callbacks in the back area rather than fixing things and standing out on the sales floor. It's not that bad so far...but I'm hopeful that it won't last long and I'll find non-retail employment before Black Friday.

I've got an interview in a few hours for a nice office job that I'm hopeful will finally get me the chance to run the hell away from retail forever.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a very uplifting story to pass on -it's not strictly retail, but it's so nice I just have to.

A few months ago I posted about how my mother had been in a local branch of a big insurance company and had been helped by a very competent and nice young woman. As as result, she wrote a letter to their head office complimenting them on their staff and singling out this person for special praise.

A month or so later she (my mother) got a phone call from the head office, asking if she'd be willing to appear in a poster campaign, she said no thanks, so they asked if she'd allow them to use quotes from the letter and use the girl herself on the poster?

Mum said that sounds great go ahead!

Many months later, the house insurance needed to be renewed, and because of massive payouts earlier in the year to a lot of people who got flooded, the quote had gone up by more that 400 euro, shopping around made no difference :(

So my Mum headed off to her friendly local insurance office...and guess who was there! Yes our very nice girl, who recognised the name/address as the source of the letter that had gotten her:

- a poster campaign, a long weekend in London for her and another person at a 5 star hotel, plus 300 euro spending money :D

So there and then she went over the house insurance quotation and by pulling a few strings, managed to knock it back down to the old cost.

Karma really does sometimes have an observable result.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So, I have a lovely retail job selling computers for a major retailer. It pays very well for working in retail ($10/hr + small bonuses) however I absolutely loathe it because when I was hired I wasn't told how sales-oriented the position was. Supposed as push tons of tech services and software and warranties and all that poo poo on each and every sale and if your numbers are consistently low you get in trouble.

I wouldn't mind it so much, but I'm not a salesperson. At least not if I don't believe in what I'm selling (Norton + Warranties + Office = I hate myself).

Anyways, that's a little backstory. Today I'm up front, boxing some software to put out when a customer comes in.. goes over to one of the copy centers to have some copies made and the girl there takes his paperwork. Before she can start the process, for whatever reason she needs his name and some other information. So yea, she asks his name... "What!? Why do you need my name- I JUST WANT SOME loving COPIES MADE!"

She explains why, and he just blows up, dropping F-bombs like it's his damned job, and then lunges at the poor girl (She's like 5-foot 2 and this guy is at least 6 feet) and grabs his paperwork out of her hands, "gently caress YOU! I'll blow this loving store up!" and storms out of the store. "Have a nice day", she says to him and he just retorts with "gently caress YOU YOU loving BITCH".

So one of the assistant managers follows the guy out of the store and watches him to drive off-- then calls the police and gives them his license plate number. Not long later, three cruisers come up and have to take some information from the poor associate and the assistant manager who called this in. So far, as far as we all know, all that's happened is just that the police are going to mail a notice saying the guy is legally bound from the store and cannot come back (or whatever channels they take to let this fine specimen know he's banned from the store).

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

I finally made it. Quit my terrible copy-center job yesterday, start with a small IT firm on Monday. Took nine months and probably six hundred resumes, but totally worth it.

Retail customers are bad enough, the co-workers make it worse, and corporate management made life there simply soul-crushing.

Still, a couple of my favorite stories for you:

I had a customer who wanted to return a computer because it was "running slow", but didn't have the box. As it was opened, we took it over to the tech center to have the thing checked out while getting a manager involved, though I didn't recognize the model.

After checking out the receipt, though, it turned out that it was out of the return policy by a little over three years. Whoops. I think I figured out that "running slow" problem for you.

I was helping an elderly woman copy a newspaper article about a group of "hero doctors." Not really knowing what to say to that, I commented on one of the pictures, which had an old man wearing some sort of bizarre Greek fisherman-meets-London cabbie hat, and said to her, "That guy has an awesome hat."

She replied, "That's my dead husband, would you like his hat?"

After the initial shock, I backpedaled as quickly as possible, and demurred politely.

Still, that didn't keep her from showing up two weeks later with the hat, which you can't really say no to at that point. To this day, I still have the dead guy hat.

Worst job I've ever held: CompUSA, standing at the front door, trying to sell people high-speed internet.

Worst thing I've had to do in retail: While cleaning the bathrooms is way up there, calling the FBI to come pick up a computer is worse. The call itself is pretty fun, but if you have to make that call, it means you've just seen some seriously hosed-up poo poo.

Worst group to mess up a copy job for: Parents of Murdered Children. Wasn't even my fault, but dear lord do you feel like an rear end for disappointing them.

Most soul-crushing experience: Probably the time the store manager wrote me up for something the cashier he was screwing did. Felt amazing when I got him fired two months later.

Godspeed, all of you. Best of luck in finding something you don't hate.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I bag groceries at a popular regional chain, and I've gotta say, on some days it's like having to push a boulder up a mountain, only for it to roll back down to the bottom just before you get it to the top, and then you have to start all over again. Only it's worse because the boulder is made out of food and you're always hungry but you can't eat the boulder because ten you'll get fired.

Fake edit: I miss Axeface.

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010
While my first post was a bit more of a everyday compliant, today I shall contribute with a specific tale that has left me pretty confused.

A couple weeks ago, we had this woman come into the store, the typical mid day grocery store patron, anyways, she comes up and starts asking about the set of lawn furniture (a set of chairs and a glass table) we have on display outside. I inform her they are for sale, give her the price, and she very excitedly says she will take the set.

She pulls her car to the front of the store and all staff on hand proceeds to shake their heads in silent shame, for the box the table is in was about half the size of the car, and their was no way she was going to take them home in that. She realizes this as soon as she sees the boxes beside her car and says she will be back tomorrow to pick them up, while mumbling something about how its just rude that we don't deliver. I smile and tell her that we will hold on to them and just come up to the front desk when she is ready to pick the up.

She comes in with her friend, whom I'm assuming at this point has a truck, because most people would come to the conclusion after seeing those boxes that a truck is what is needed to pick up these boxes. The man is driving a car that is only slightly bigger than hers and upon seeing the boxes, he too comes to the conclusion that a truck is needed and tells the lady such. As they are leaving she pulls him over and whispers into his ear. He comes back up to us and says in quite possibly the most halfhearted 'angry' voice I have ever heard that we should deliver. She comes back later that day with another friend, and when we go to take the boxes out to the car, that persons car is smaller than the friend who came earlier. So they give up for the day and head home.

That next day we receive a call from this lady, demanding to speak to the store manager. I transfer the call, wondering just what the hell she's going to say. About 10 minutes later he calls back down to the front desk, I answer, and a very annoyed sounding store manager asks if I have a truck. To my horror I cannot stop myself from answering in the affirmative; practically fainting when I hear myself say "Right Away" when he ask me to bring it to the front of the store. I pull it to the front, minutes going by without anything happening, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, dealing with this woman on her home turf, like the dentist, i assure myself that I'm building it up to be worse than it will actually be.

My manager hands me the directions, we get the boxes loaded in the back, and I'm off. Eventually I arrive at the domain of this woman, it is a townhouse, with no front yard or back, and not a porch in site. I see the lady going into her house as I pull into the driveway and she looks back and sees me pulling in, but when i go to ring the doorbell, it takes her no less than 20 minutes to answer the door. When she does I smile the type of smile that you know you had to spend part of your soul to muster (I imagine most people in this thread know the feeling) and explain what I'm doing there. "Great!" she says as she goes back inside and closes the door. About 5 minutes later the garage door opens, it is filled to the brim with stuff, random stuff, a couch, pool noodles, stuffed animals, license plates, cabinets of various designs all filled to the point of busting with little stuff. "Put them wherever" she says. I unload the boxes, we get the garage door closed with some effort, and she goes back inside.

I don't know if she was planning on moving at some point, or maybe the lawn furniture was a gift for someone, or perhaps she just had a severe shopping problem, but oh well. When i get back to the store, our store manager apologizes for making me go out and deliver it, but he was just honestly so sick of dealing with her he just wanted to get her to shut up one way or the other.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
Would anyone be interested in buying a HIGH quality pdf of the best of these stories? For a small price ($5-$10)?

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Daniel J. Geduld posted:

Would anyone be interested in buying a HIGH quality pdf of the best of these stories? For a small price ($5-$10)?

Probably not since stuff like this is free on variety of sites. However, a bunch of people here (including myself) sort of shat on Pillowpant's idea and look where that has gone...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Das Burger Konig posted:

While my first post was a bit more of a everyday compliant, today I shall contribute with a specific tale that has left me pretty confused.

A couple weeks ago, we had this woman come into the store, the typical mid day grocery store patron, anyways, she comes up and starts asking about the set of lawn furniture (a set of chairs and a glass table) we have on display outside. I inform her they are for sale, give her the price, and she very excitedly says she will take the set.

She pulls her car to the front of the store and all staff on hand proceeds to shake their heads in silent shame, for the box the table is in was about half the size of the car, and their was no way she was going to take them home in that. She realizes this as soon as she sees the boxes beside her car and says she will be back tomorrow to pick them up, while mumbling something about how its just rude that we don't deliver. I smile and tell her that we will hold on to them and just come up to the front desk when she is ready to pick the up.

She comes in with her friend, whom I'm assuming at this point has a truck, because most people would come to the conclusion after seeing those boxes that a truck is what is needed to pick up these boxes. The man is driving a car that is only slightly bigger than hers and upon seeing the boxes, he too comes to the conclusion that a truck is needed and tells the lady such. As they are leaving she pulls him over and whispers into his ear. He comes back up to us and says in quite possibly the most halfhearted 'angry' voice I have ever heard that we should deliver. She comes back later that day with another friend, and when we go to take the boxes out to the car, that persons car is smaller than the friend who came earlier. So they give up for the day and head home.

That next day we receive a call from this lady, demanding to speak to the store manager. I transfer the call, wondering just what the hell she's going to say. About 10 minutes later he calls back down to the front desk, I answer, and a very annoyed sounding store manager asks if I have a truck. To my horror I cannot stop myself from answering in the affirmative; practically fainting when I hear myself say "Right Away" when he ask me to bring it to the front of the store. I pull it to the front, minutes going by without anything happening, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, dealing with this woman on her home turf, like the dentist, i assure myself that I'm building it up to be worse than it will actually be.

My manager hands me the directions, we get the boxes loaded in the back, and I'm off. Eventually I arrive at the domain of this woman, it is a townhouse, with no front yard or back, and not a porch in site. I see the lady going into her house as I pull into the driveway and she looks back and sees me pulling in, but when i go to ring the doorbell, it takes her no less than 20 minutes to answer the door. When she does I smile the type of smile that you know you had to spend part of your soul to muster (I imagine most people in this thread know the feeling) and explain what I'm doing there. "Great!" she says as she goes back inside and closes the door. About 5 minutes later the garage door opens, it is filled to the brim with stuff, random stuff, a couch, pool noodles, stuffed animals, license plates, cabinets of various designs all filled to the point of busting with little stuff. "Put them wherever" she says. I unload the boxes, we get the garage door closed with some effort, and she goes back inside.

I don't know if she was planning on moving at some point, or maybe the lawn furniture was a gift for someone, or perhaps she just had a severe shopping problem, but oh well. When i get back to the store, our store manager apologizes for making me go out and deliver it, but he was just honestly so sick of dealing with her he just wanted to get her to shut up one way or the other.
Please tell me the manager compensated you for gas or something.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

SpartanIV posted:

Please tell me the manager compensated you for gas or something.

One thing I've learned working retail is expect nothing from management. No raises, no benefits, no respect nothing.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
I'm a delivery driver.

I just want people to stop coming to the door naked.

Please.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd pay :10bux: for a collection of all the axeface stories with lovecraft-esque pictures.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

Philante posted:

Most soul-crushing experience: Probably the time the store manager wrote me up for something the cashier he was screwing did. Felt amazing when I got him fired two months later.

Wanna hear the details of this scenario...not necessarily what they were doing in the stock room or wherever, but how you handed him his comeuppance.

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010

side_burned posted:

One thing I've learned working retail is expect nothing from management. No raises, no benefits, no respect nothing.

I was, granted it was in gift cards to the store, but since its a grocery store, its not like they were useless. The management (of which I am training to be a member of) at my store is pretty decent. We try to treat everyone based on the merit of their work and give them the benefit of the doubt when they start. We understand customers are poo poo heads and that most cashiers and courtesy clerks are not looking to have this job for more than a few months, so as long as you don't offend anyone, we don't really give a poo poo if you don't remind someone of their gas reward points. But boy would their be hell to pay if our corporate bosses heard me saying that.

That's most of the management anyways, our scheduling manager is scatter brained and never gets it right, and our Grocery manager is a creepy middle aged lecherous perv, but other than that..

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

side_burned posted:

Ain't it the truth. I work for a semi-local business -- the home office is located in Pennsylvania, but they have locations in New Jersey and Delaware as well. We haven't had a raise in two years. I've worked for the company for over five years and minimum wage is starting to catch up to me fast. :( My manager is awesome to a point, but she's very meek/naive and doesn't speak up for us. The assistant manager and keyholders have to fight for us instead. When one of the owners came down with our buyer (who I'm pretty sure is retarded, but that's another story), raises were brought up. Naturally we get a "no, we've put a freeze on raises, we can't afford it," yet it's well-known that the owners just bought a brand-new boat.

Also, they instituted a policy where if you forget to clock in or out three times, you're fired. Nobody can go into the system and edit their time without the manager filling out what we call "naughty papers." It's a ridiculous policy because it's very easy to forget to clock in or out sometimes. I just recently hit my third strike because of stress (200 boxes of a new bargain shipment HNNNGH), so now I'm actually kind of worried. Nobody's actually enforced the policy, but the pedantic timesheet guy at the home office recently sent out an email saying "AHEM, I've noticed that people have had their timesheets edited more than three times and nobody's been fired yet, GET ON IT."

I seriously cannot wait to get away from this company.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

If you guys wanna know, the banner ad to the thread worked. :v:

Nothing much of interest has happened to me since the last thread (except the guy who asked if he could return month-old pants because "the cuffs wore out :wtc:"... I got a promotion last week - more pay and more hours, same Sears. But right when I signed the offer, I got told we're pretty much the worst store for my new department. Then my manager smiled at me expectantly. I'm going to die, I just know it. :negative:

haruspex posted:

I'm a delivery driver.

I just want people to stop coming to the door naked.

Please.

I was a delivery driver. I wish interesting poo poo had happened to me like this. I live in BC and people didn't even give me any loving weed as a tip on 4/20. Assholes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Philante posted:

Pleeeeeaaasee tell us how you managed that. :allears:

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Holy loving poo poo there is a banner ad?

Ebon Star
Apr 10, 2008

Axeface posted:

Welcome back, Axeface! Glad you could join us.

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009
Children and their lovely Parents.

Nothing like waking up with a hangover, pushed over to the Toys department because nobody wants to do that poo poo, and hearing children yelling and screaming, with their parents ignoring them. Better yet, by chance, said children being moved to the aisle next to the one I'm working in.

Mother or Father I would punch you careless asshats in the face if I were given the chance.

Currently working in a Department Store, to add more info.

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh

Philante posted:

To this day, I still have the dead guy hat.

Good for you for taking it. Dealing with loss can be hard when it's someone close, you probably did that woman a favor by letting something her husband liked give joy to another person.

Content:
I worked a US call center for HP phone laptop repair once and had a woman on the phone that had damage her late husbands laptop. It was water damaged and not covered by warranty. I was sorry to tell her that.

(Note: While we have incentive to sell customers things to make up for the cost of US based tech support, the requirements aren't high. Selling 2500$ worth of warranties, software and new computers in a month would get you a bonus.)

I told her that it would be so expensive to fix it would be a better idea to get a new system. She was interested so I helped build her a system from scratch using the website. (something we weren't supposed to do. they had us transfer customers to an India based team that spoke terrible English and lost more sales than they made)

The entire time she was emotional, but positive, as if replacing the computer was part of the letting go process. She teared up a few times on the phone and I took a long time, begin a good listener and making sure she was happy with the machine.

I got her a much better deal than if she had walked into a Best Buy, with several discounts and a proper warranty.

I good call like that can make a weeks' worth of getting screamed at worthwhile. :unsmith:

I ended up getting fired form that job because I had the nerve to actually order something for myself from HP's website. Good for me they never officially told us that it was against the rules.

I've been on 1100 a month unemployment for the past 13 months, with several more to go. After about 15 years in one service industry or another, I'm loving the extra time.

Furril fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 11, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Axeface posted:

I had honestly thought you had killed yourself. I just want you to know that your stories were one of the main reasons I registered, because your manifestos should not be censored by a comical word filter.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't have found the thread without the banner ad, either.

Lady Charlemagne
Apr 23, 2008

GOD I'M TIRED
My favorite stories are of retail manager drones who don't understand that academic commitments tend to come before lovely retail job commitments.

I worked at a Market Basket when I was 15-16 and came very close to getting fired over not being able to work one day because I had to take my SATs. My direct boss was about 35 and had been working there since he was 15. That didn't really make me feel better about the situation.

Also yeah banner ad totally works.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Axeface posted:

That's how I got here too :) I'm glad we finally have the thread back. When the GBS one was closed and it was suggested we move it here, I kept waiting for it to show up cause I didn't wanna be the one to start it, but it never did.

I'm still cashiering and haven't really had any noteworthy encounters as of late (I've been operating mostly on auto-pilot) but I've had some pretty cool tiny strangers (kids) give me crash courses on Disney's "Cars" and the importance of the character Mater's coloring (he's green now, he changed!) , and a little girl blew me a kiss on her way out the other day which melted the ice temporarily.

Today I helped put signs on all 26 of our registers. The signs have a pretty terrible mugshot of our store manager and read as follows: "I am committed to providing a fast, friendly checkout experience. Not satisfied? Call 555-555-5555" Let the coachings begin!

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 11, 2010

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I'm working graveyard at a gas station and recently I've found my self wonder just what goes through the mind of a person who absolutely must buy a $20 worth of lottery scratchers at 3:00am.

Their aren't many things I consider to be a bigger waste of money than strippers but yes lotto scratchers are just that.

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

A Child's Letter posted:

Wanna hear the details of this scenario...not necessarily what they were doing in the stock room or wherever, but how you handed him his comeuppance.

spankmeister posted:

Pleeeeeaaasee tell us how you managed that. :allears:

Nothing too exciting, really. Being bitter and jaded, I got in a bad habit of keeping a blackmail file. Every time I came across something that violated our HR policies like Gerald Amirault at a day-care center, I'd throw a quick copy of it in the file.

I had a manager friend of mine get in on the action, and after about a month and a half, I finally felt we had enough on the guy to get rid of him. That's not really something you want to risk - if you don't have enough, you've tipped your hand and made an enemy in the process.

I ended up handing corporate HR proof of the affair (since he was her boss, that alone would probably have been enough), proof that he had written me up for her error, and documentation on some transactions he had performed that were more suspect than a reunion tour for The Ramones.

As a lovely bonus, when HR showed up to ask him some hard questions, he wasn't to be found - he had taken the day off without bothering to tell his boss about it. He rushed in about fifteen minutes later, having come over as soon as he got the call, and left again after another fifteen minutes without his keys or job.

That file probably had enough to get everyone in that store fired, but there was one main difference: the rest of them didn't piss me off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The dirtiest of tricks. Well done. :golfclap:

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010

Philante posted:

That file probably had enough to get everyone in that store fired, but there was one main difference: the rest of them didn't piss me off.

Keeping a file is a good idea and I'm going to start doing it. I'm tired of being made to feel like I'm a lair or worse, outright crazy because I can't come up with the level of specific detail that the investigating party wants to hear.

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010
So I've found out that my name is on the short list of people to be in charge of holiday orders this season. I'm not quite sure if answering the phone and writing down orders is going to be better or worst than my normal job, I guess I will see.

To my astonishment and frustration I found myself saying yes to working 7-5 on christmas, so that is fun too.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

side_burned posted:

So I'm working graveyard at a gas station and recently I've found my self wonder just what goes through the mind of a person who absolutely must buy a $20 worth of lottery scratchers at 3:00am.

Their aren't many things I consider to be a bigger waste of money than strippers but yes lotto scratchers are just that.

I never had that happen, oddly enough.
Can you even run winning scratch-offs through that late? Every job I've ever had that dealt with lottery, the lotto machine automatically shut off at 11:00 PM.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

side_burned posted:

They are either people who work late every day so lets say they work like 4-12pm or 3-11pm and they come in thats like them coming home from work grabbing a shower or some food and deciding they wanna sratch some tickets before going to bed or whatever.

Either that or they're on drugs.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Hooray I missed this thread.

I wasn't too active in the last thread but boy I loved to read it.

I am still working in an electronics store in the UK but was recently transferred to a smaller branch in a shopping centre when I moved home. It's actually quite a bit nicer as the customer base has gone from self-entitled benefit spongers to tourists and students but at the end of the day, it is still retail, and I am not sure whether an unemployed mother of fourteen screaming in my face because little Johnny broke her goverment paid for TV is worse than trying to explain to someone who doesn't speak English very well how mobile broadband works.

The most ridiculous thing I have seen in the new store so far is an extremely large woman who came in with her young son (around five or so years old I believe). In the middle of our shop we have a glass table with all the cameras and accessories in the centre and she parked herself by it to have a look. A couple of minutes later she turned around and KNOCKED HER SON OVER WITH HER ENORMOUS rear end and his head smashed into the cabinet. Naturally he burst into tears. Her response?

Shout at him for making a public scene.

One of my favourite co-workers who is well known for taking absolutely no poo poo from both customers and colleagues I thought was going to launch himself across the glass to tell her to shut the gently caress up.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Operation Juicebox posted:

Hooray I missed this thread.

I wasn't too active in the last thread but boy I loved to read it.

I am still working in an electronics store in the UK but was recently transferred to a smaller branch in a shopping centre when I moved home. It's actually quite a bit nicer as the customer base has gone from self-entitled benefit spongers to tourists and students but at the end of the day, it is still retail, and I am not sure whether an unemployed mother of fourteen screaming in my face because little Johnny broke her goverment paid for TV is worse than trying to explain to someone who doesn't speak English very well how mobile broadband works.

The most ridiculous thing I have seen in the new store so far is an extremely large woman who came in with her young son (around five or so years old I believe). In the middle of our shop we have a glass table with all the cameras and accessories in the centre and she parked herself by it to have a look. A couple of minutes later she turned around and KNOCKED HER SON OVER WITH HER ENORMOUS rear end and his head smashed into the cabinet. Naturally he burst into tears. Her response?

Shout at him for making a public scene.

One of my favourite co-workers who is well known for taking absolutely no poo poo from both customers and colleagues I thought was going to launch himself across the glass to tell her to shut the gently caress up.

DGC773 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 7, 2020

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

NGC773 posted:

Sweet story, i used to work for a large electricals retailer in the UK too. I hates selling insurance covered up as protection for your little new laptop. Customers used to come in everyday to complain about how the company had a direct debit setup to their bank account, allot of the staff used to put it on the sale for free for the first few months then they start paying.

Im so glad i no longer have to work part time, espectially in retail

Yeah, I did the same or a similar job, and I'm glad I'm out of that now. The thing about that was that the people who did that wouldn't get their arse kicked at all - in fact, it made your figures looked good. The company I worked for thought we were doing something seriously wrong if people didn't take not only the insurance but all the other extras.

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 13, 2010

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Operation Juicebox posted:

I am still working in an electronics store in the UK but was recently transferred to a smaller branch in a shopping centre when I moved home.
As long as it isn't Dixons, those guys are known for terrible customer service. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Flavor Bear posted:

I never had that happen, oddly enough.
Can you even run winning scratch-offs through that late? Every job I've ever had that dealt with lottery, the lotto machine automatically shut off at 11:00 PM.

My machine shuts off around two in the morning so I can't sell any of the state drawings after that time or cash out any kind of ticket but I can sell scratch-offs at any time. This leads to a lot of confrontations with the drunks, meth addicts, junkies and hobos that wonder in to the store at that time of night. Alot of them like to play they "I used to work here and I know for a fact that you machine works now I need the winnings off of this ticket now....ect...ect...I'M TELLING YOUR MANGER." gently caress all people who play any form of lottery.

Nosaj posted:

They are either people who work late every day so lets say they work like 4-12pm or 3-11pm and they come in thats like them coming home from work grabbing a shower or some food and deciding they wanna sratch some tickets before going to bed or whatever.

Either that or they're on drugs.

I've been assuming the latter