Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The amount of customers who ignore me(the sole cashier) is seriously starting to bum me out. :smith: I'll greet them, but they'll ignore me and charge straight towards the first male employee. I know where the weed killer is goddamnit, you can ask me.

Also: I got yelled at by a very grumpy old man because I couldn't give him a receipt. For an item he had bought two weeks ago. No, he didn't even have it with him. This was my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I don't get many total dickhole customers normally, it just bums me out to be completely ignored. :(

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
We've had Maxwell House coffee on sale for the last two weeks at our store, and our warehouse, in their infinite wisdom, decided to send us two measly cases last Friday. We were already running pretty low, so we ended up selling out over the holiday weekend.

I've had more people cop an attitude over this coffee than anything else. "EXCUSE ME, why are you sold out of the Maxwell House!?" "WHERE IS THE COFFEE" all day today. Telling them I can give them rainchecks and to come back on Friday did not help.

It's not my fault you dragged your rear end here on the last day of the sale goddamnit, don't get mad at me about coffee!! :mad:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Casull posted:

Queen Devil of Coupons

Oh my god I'm so sorry. Coupon ladies are the worst. There's one old lady who comes in to my store ever so often and always has a million coupons for the most trivial poo poo. And then she makes me double-bag EVERYTHING. "Oh, double that bag sweetie, I'm walking home!" Goddamnit woman I know, you come in here every. loving. day. :argh:

One time I got in an argument with her because she wanted to use some coupons on some discounted boxes of crackers. The crackers were expiring soon, so they were fifty cents. She had a $1.00 off coupon for the crackers. You can probably see where we had friction. In the end, my manager agreed that she could not use the coupons.

In other news, I am really sick of getting nearly 40 hours almost every week without any of the benefits. Even worse, it'll be eight hours one week, 32 the next, and so on..I just want a steady schedule goddamnit, why is this so impossible? Our scheduling manager is goddamn incompetent.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Doomie posted:

Hello, so I work at a Marshalls and we recently got a new manager to do our schedule's. She is so bad, withing the last three weeks she has had my friend set up to work shifts while he's in class and I've had to cover for him and three times now she has modified my schedule without telling me (which she is required by company policy to do) so I get called and informed i'm supposed to be working and I'm now late and I get chewed out when it's not my fault. On top of all this she normally doesn't have next weeks schedule out until thursday or friday evening.

Hi, you must have my manager's sister! We used to have three really cool managers at our store, but one transferred and another retired(But they still both come in from time to time, because they're awesome), so we got two new managers who could probably combine and form one slightly competent person. One is an older guy who is really, really nice, just slow, and he's been in the hospital for like a month now so I feel bad talking poo poo about the guy.

The other is the biggest pain in my rear end right now. She's incredibly lazy. She'll take hour long lunch breaks, or she'll go to the bank, take about 45 minutes, then come back and take another 40 for her lunch. You can imagine how much this endears her to all of us part-timers. Recently she's been dicking up the schedules, too. I've been working full-time hours..actually, next week, I am working more hours than two of the full-time employees. She's been scheduling us to work on days we've requested off, or on days when we have class. She is actually the entire reason I am looking for another job. I just want steady loving hours goddamnit, stop loving with mine!!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Strawberry posted:

Cashier was simply the worst. I also worked for a year at Safeway as a cashier, and I can echo the dragging misery that it is. 8 hours is an eternity in that little space, and those mats I stood on didn't help those sore feet.

Man, I complain a lot about my job, but at least cashiers have it better where I work. 6 hour shifts, and no one gives a poo poo if I read a book when we have no customers.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Today my manager got into a very loud argument with a customer about the price of an item that had the wrong sign on it. He refused the sale in the end :allears:.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I believe I have at least until Black Friday before I get to hear the sweet, sweet sounds of christmas carols over our store's speakers. I loving hate christmas.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Incoherent Moron posted:

gently caress people who can't get off their cellphones for 5 minutes. gently caress them in their wrinkled assholes. I had a woman back into someone else in the drive-through line because she wasn't paying attention to anything other than her drat cellphone. She forgot her change and backed up to get back to the window, but the person behind her had already advanced a bit. She backed up too fast, and hit the person in back. No damage that I could see, but get off the phone before reversing, for gently caress's sake. Then there was the other woman who sat at the order box for a full 2 minutes talking on her phone. The people behind her were honking, the person taking orders was telling her to hurry up, and then she gets all indignant. gently caress them all.

I had a woman talk on her phone the entire way through a transaction, then when she was done she just walked away from my till, leaving her items bagged on the counter. She was waiting for her friend to finish shopping so I just assumed she was being a lazy bitch and pushed her items to the side and rang up the rest of the customers in line. She and her friend met up and she just....walked out. Forgetting all her stuff, and talking on her phone the entire time.

She came back for her stuff while I was on lunch, but..she still ended up leaving some behind. That she never came back for. My fellow cashiers report that she was on her phone when she came back for her items.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
My store has three different sales this week; Normal, week-long sale, 5-10 Wednesday night sale, and weekend sale. Our flyers specifically said the dates for EACH SALE.

How many people got mad at me because I told them the sale started later tonight/Friday? A WHOLE loving LOT.

"If the sale doesn't start until 5pm, what did I come down here for!?" I don't know, you rear end in a top hat! You're the one who can't read, it's not my problem!

Jerks. :mad:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Jeeze, there is no way I'm going to complain about my six-hour shift today. 16 loving hours? Goddamn I hope you're getting overtime for that poo poo.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Meow Cadet posted:

I now work at a place that sells Xmas lights. People spend $300+ on loving twinkle lights. I can't imagine anyone getting $300 worth of joy out of lights. Far be it for me to tell people how to spend their money, but the wastefulness is kinda getting me down.

You think that's bad? Check this poo poo out. http://technabob.com/blog/2010/12/13/faucher-family-christmas-lights/

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I loving hate wearing name tags, I don't want strangers I don't know using my name. gently caress that.

No one cares that I don't wear it unless the DM or someone is coming in. And instead of using my name, customers call me 'sweetheart', 'honey' and 'sweetie'. It's just as bad. :geno:

edit: In good news, I had a GREAT day at work. We got pizza :) and my manager gave me half his cannoli, which was fantastic. Most of the people I work with are awesome, so I can't hate my job too much.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 1, 2011

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Also question for the lady retail goons! Which do you hate more- being called "Miss" or being called "Ma'am"? I won't even bring in the "young lady" wildcard.

I don't really mind being 'miss'. Ma'am makes me think of old ladies, but I don't mind it either. I, uh, also get 'sir' sometimes, usually by people who are VERY not paying attention or only see me from behind. I don't mind that though.

Anyone who calls me young lady can go right to hell. It just sounds so patronizing.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Welp.

I got called in for an 'emergency meeting' today, and it turns out our store is going to be closing :smith:. All of us are being offered transfers, but damnit, I like working at my store. I actually like all my coworkers and managers :(

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Our store closing sale just started the other day, and the store has gone from a dead $500 in sales Tuesday to $5000 on Thursday. We had about 3k in the first three hours today. So yeah, ridiculously busy.

I've had to explain why the store is closing about a hundred times in the last few days, I am really sick of it.

:smith:: Oh nooo, you guys are closing? I can't believe it! Why?

:shobon:: Well, the landlord raised our rent, so we are merging with our store that's less than a mile away..

:smith::But that's so inconvenient! I love this store! I can't believe you're leaving! Where are we supposed to shop?

:shobon:: v:geno:v

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Our landlord wants to raise our rent about 10k..so while all our other locations are actually getting cheaper rent and coming out ahead, we're losing money. Our sales have been really excellent, we're usually in the top 5 at least for the holiday season. Our landlords are just assholes apparently.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

NarwhalParty posted:

Do you all get breaks? I've always wondered if that was unique to my store. The front end people get breaks but we basically either don't eat or cram it it when we can because we're always short staffed and busy.

Uh...I'm pretty sure that by law, you get breaks. Unless you aren't in the US, then I don't know what the gently caress. I know in MI it's..15 min paid break for a 5 hour shift? and then a half hour unpaid for more than that.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The store isn't accepting any returns right now, unless the item is damaged. This has been really pissing off some people, even though I have three signs on every register, plus a sign on each door saying ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

I've had a bunch of people argue with me. It's not that they can't return their item at all; they just have to go to another one of our stores.

One woman told me she couldn't read. :stare:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
When I tell you that the store is closing FOREVER, don't throw a little pouty tantrum and ask "but WHYYYY?". Seriously lady, gently caress you, act like a loving adult. And you, other lady, don't get all indignant at me. It's not my fault you have to drive five extra minutes to get to another store. Getting bitchy at the cashier isn't going to prevent the store from closing.

We're done for good on the 13th. I seriously look forward to moving to the next store, I am loving sick of explaining why we're closing.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

silversiren posted:

I've had foreign people come up to me before and tell me, "You look like you are in pain, you don't get to sit down? In my country, the cashiers are able to sit." It seems to be the norm in other countries that cashiers are treated like .. well, humans.

I get this all the time, not just from foreigners though. Like, people genuinely mad that cashiers don't get to sit down ever.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Secret Machine posted:

What is up with that anyway?

I used to work at a pizza shop and the women's bathroom was always far more horrific than the men's bathroom.

Although my worst bathroom experience was at Borders when we were closing up and found a used Playboy magazine in the first floor bathroom. Me and another bookseller wrangled it into a garbage bag using gloves and a broom handle. Oh God, it's all coming back to me. :gonk:

Oh, and I heard co-worker horror stories of finding people OD'ing in the bathrooms at the Center City store in Philly. :wtc:

I actually used to work with a custodial company (me and like three other people, not counting the boss) and when I cleaned bathrooms, it was always the mens that was the grossest. Strong stench of urine, gross toilets, etc. Also, there was ALWAYS some douchebag who would hock loogies in the sink. Nasty. The ladies rooms would be dirty, but mostly because of trash. Crumpled paper towels, used cosmetics, etc. There would always be a pile of paper towels behind the doors.

Also, did you guys know there's some show on TLC called 'Extreme Couponing'? The previews showed chubby suburban housewives buying carts and carts of things just so they could use their coupons. One woman said she hated to spend money at the grocery store. Just the previews made me rage. Just women toting carts and carts of poo poo they didn't need because they knew they'd get it for pennies or even free.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Has anyone here worked for Aldi before? The one near me is hiring, so I might drop in an application. Full time, afternoons only from what I heard.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I hate my job :negativeman:

I only get about 10 MAYBE 15 hours a week if I'm lucky!! I transfered stores back in March since my previous store closed, but there I was getting 20-30 hours a week. But now at this new store, it's no hours and everyone treating me like I don't know poo poo. I've been with this company for nearly three years! I know how to do all the register bullshit! You don't need to treat me like an idiot!

Man this is really ranty. :( I'm just unhappy with my work and the fact that I live in loving MICHIGAN which means finding another job is nearly impossible.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Is it illegal for a company to print a driver's license number onto a check in the US? Because one customer I had was pretty adamant it was. Or he said the credit bureau told him not to, and it was illegal.

I just kept telling him that the check reader will automatically print the license number after I type it in, but it still took him like ten minutes to actually give me his check and DL.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

2508084 posted:

It's not illegal, its just stupid. It makes it easier to steal someone's identity.

Of course, and he said that about ten times, but it's not like I can change what the reader prints onto the check. I just told him to take it up with our head office.

vv Yeah, he just did not want to hear any of it. It took the acting manager for the night telling him that "Yes, the checks are going to go into the safe in like ten minutes and then they will be in a sealed deposit bag and we are taking them to the bank in the morning" to get him to actually give me his driver's license. And he was still saying 'well what about the bank tellers!?'.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 28, 2011

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
2pm-9pm the day before and day after Thanksgiving. Apparently my head manager requested that I specifically be available to work the cash register! So that's a nice vote of confidence.

And then I have a 5 day vacation after that. :allears: I could have taken Black Friday off, too, but I would feel like a dick if I didn't go in and help out my coworkers.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

silversiren posted:

e: also call me genderist or whatever the term would be, but I really hate it when people, especially big redneck men, expect me and other small girls to pick up their gigantic 30lb turkeys and put them in their cart. I could probably compete in some sort of Olympic contest now, I must've bagged and tossed at least 50 of the drat things tomorrow. Come thanksgiving, I don't even WANT turkey.

I don't hate this, I loving love it. I HATE when people ask for help getting something into their car, or need help loading top soil or whatever, then freak out and start doing it themselves as quickly as they can when I come up to do it. 5'2 and I look about twelve so I guess it just hurts guys deep, deep in their masculinity when I toss a few hundred pounds of dirt into their truck bed :allears:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

spixxor posted:

"I need five bags of potting soil."

"Ok, what kind?"

"Potting soil."

"Yes, but what kind?"

"It's the potting soil you have outside."

"We have about ten different kinds. Do you know what brand?"

"No."

"Do you remember what color the bag was?"

"No."

"Ok well how much was it, we can-"

"I just need potting soil!"

Fifty loving times a day, I'm not a mind reader, jesus christ. Would you walk into a clothing store and go "I want a shirt."?

Working in a hardware/garden/whatever else you can cram in it store during the spring/summer is hell.

"Hi I need a bag of top soil"
"Did you just want the regular Michigan top spoil or the Scotts brand?"
"Oh just the plain cheap stuff thanks!"

And then I ring them up and two minutes later I look out the window and they are loading the brand name soil that in no way resembles the dirt they bought.. And then I have to go out and tell them that no they have the wrong stuff and they have to drive around to the side of the building.

And then there are the people who just ask for dirt. What kind of dirt? Just dirt. Thanks. Also the people who don't seem to know what they loving put in their cart. How do you not know if that's a twenty or forty pound bird seed? You put it in there!

In other news, the store I'm currently working in went through a massive remodel/update that finished at the beginning of March and it's great. I am dreading our grand reopening next weekend, though. They are handing out door prizes. I am just thankful I will not be opening that day. loving door prizes.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
On Saturday my store did about 26k in sales. A normal, busyish Saturday for us would be...5-8k.

Ahahaha :suicide:

It was a loving madhouse.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Nah, hardware store. Technically it was expected because we've just re-modeled the place and had a ~grand reopening~ with some special sales/giveaways and all that bullshit.

But still, it was a loving zoo and I am happy as hell I didn't have to open that day.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Getting really sick of the new manager that got transferred to my store. The company seems to enjoy swapping managers around every so often, and this time they made a manager that I really, really enjoyed working with leave for another store, and gave us this...girl.

She's nice, I guess, but she doesn't do poo poo. She doesn't run the register, she doesn't mix paint, cut glass, shades, any of the standard stuff that a manager should at least be knowledgeable about. She's great at interacting with customers which, yes is important for the business. But it's not great when she's talking/flirting incessantly with a customer while we're backed up on register, someone needs paint, etc etc.

Also she never lets me be on the floor, even when I'm on a shift with one of the less experienced guys. Goddamnit woman, I can do everything the guys can do, I know my poo poo and it's slow. Let the kid run the register so I can do something useful.

Bitch bitch BITCH. I do not like working with this girl. I like both my other managers a lot, but I hate working shifts with her.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

dustbin posted:

You ruined his card by running it through the slider?

People have no idea how credit cards work. I get bitched at for setting credit cards down on my counter because "Don't do that!! That deactivates the card!"

Also, why does that plastic bag trick work? It's the weirdest thing.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
New Manager, please do not share the story about how you were assaulted/almost raped while we are at work. Please do not share it with customers who have no idea who you are how are you this inappropriate.

I don't think you should bottle up your feelings about it forever or whatever but I do think it's NOT A GOOD WORKPLACE TOPIC and next time you bring it up with me I am walking the gently caress away.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Taco Pirate posted:

Just give two weeks. That's perfectly fair for any job unless you're like, under contract or something.

On another note whyyyyyy does my store do inventory in June instead of in January/February after the holidays like any other store? :(

My store's doing it in August because we were remodeling in Jan/Feb. Fuuun.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Darth Freddy posted:

I have gotten use to seeing the difference in a man's and a women's toilets.

Man. Toilet is nasty as hell, urinal is splattered with god knows what and the sink is allays messy, also here the trash can is full of toilet paper with poo poo on it because apparently a lot of people do not know how to throw it in the toilet or come from a area with bad plumbing.

Woman. Toilets are fairly clean some times they may have that little poop stain on the side or under the toilet seat(It baffles me how poop stains get under a toilet seat for any gender. Is it some kind of fan like spray?), sink and even the mirror will be fairly clean. Trash will be everywhere though. Its like they do not know how to operate the little foot thing on the trash cans. Toilet paper, wrappers for feminine products festooned across the area like some kind of avant-garde art project.

This has always, always been my experience when cleaning toilets. I used to work for a janitorial service that would clean public buildings (great job, seriously), and without fail, the ladies' would always look like a garbage tornado had hit it, while the mens was all gross bodily waste, all the time.

Curiously enough, the most public of the buildings I cleaned, a (tiny)city hall, always had neat and spotless bathrooms. What the hell?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
^^ Depends on where you work. I usually make dumb jokes with both my customers AND my managers. Not everyone works in a humorless hellhole.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
So about a half hour after I got to work today, a storm rolled in and knocked the power out at my store.

Which is not a big deal, except my company will not let us close even if the power goes down. Will NOT, especially not in the summer, in the middle of the day. We also can't let customers walk around the store by themselves when the power's out. Also it's cash-only. ALSO to record every transaction, which means I have to write out the upc/sku on a piece of paper, then the price, then add sales tax on top of it. Pain in the rear end.

Thankfully it was painfully slow so we spent most of the day sitting around doing jack poo poo. We had to kick a few people out because they were 'just browsing' and 'didn't have any cash so I'm just looking thanks', or 'just waiting for my wife to get done at the other store'(what).

The power went out at 1:30 today, and when I left at 5 it was still out.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Drakkel posted:

That power outage thing is ridiculous. My store has some crazy policies but even here if the power goes out, we're done for the day.

The chain my store is in is very small, so I guess staying open during outages is fine? I mean, if we went home for the day at 1:30 or 2, and the power came back a couple hours later, we'd still miss the money that comes in between the power coming back and closing.

Plus it's not a large store, so we can usually escort people around during outages without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Darth Freddy posted:

I take a odd pleasure in people leaving stuff on the counter and going for another thing. I don't know why, maybe because it happens to all of us? Maybe because it makes the people behind them angry? Who knows!

It makes me the angriest t:mad:. My counter is tiny, I don't have enough space for you to come up, leave five things on it, go find something else, leave THAT, and then finally come back with five more things.

Use a goddamn cart or basket, damnit.