Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

manguero posted:

My GM was a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat.

This could easily be an entire thread on its own. We had ours come to visit for three whole days this month - he spent all three holed up in our tiny stock room, sniping at our managers and barely setting foot on the sales floor.

gently caress GMs, gently caress middle management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Mug posted:

Call center stuff.

Huh. I suspect I'm working in retail for the same company. Well, a franchisee sucking the teat of the same company. I sell and deal with problems to do with phones anyway.

Our big bugbear at the moment is home phones. The company whose brand I wear is in the process of losing its monopoly of both the fixed phone service and broadband wholesaling, and it's still a bit in denial about the whole thing. As a consequence, we are getting absolutely flogged for not selling as many 'bundles' (fixed phone + internet + a massive loving billing dispute the next month like 90% of the time) as we should be, based on the most random loving statistics our deadshit area manager chooses to track, like number of people who walk in and out of our store as measured by a sensor built into the ceiling (always fun when we have kids running in and out of the shop, or a bored employee jumping backwards and forwards across the threshold to gently caress with the stats) and how many customers we've served today, total. When half the poo poo we do is service and repair related. gently caress me.

One of the sweeteners we sell with these magical bundles is a really stupid home phone that costs like $300. It's dumb, if you own one you're dumb and if you buy one it's worth a few bucks commission to me. But because they're an important part of the desperate struggle to not lose all of our fixed connections to mobile phones, they're getting pushed hard. To the point where our area manager passed down the degree that we'd all have to lug one of these stupid loving things around in its box for the day until we sold it. I drew a face on the side of mine and introduced it to customers as my associate George.

gently caress my job.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Abominable Toaster posted:

Does it start with a T and end in elstra?

A gentleman never Tels(tra).

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Keket posted:

I'm not sure what to think about the 9th, COD's launching, i'm going in for the midnight launch and the manager told us last years Call of Duty launch went on for over 2 hours and had a que that stretched outside the mall :gonk:

The last midnight launch I worked was WoW: BC. Did Halo 2 and 3, the Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 before that too. They're usually really cool events, the folks that show up for it are the sort of folks who are super into the game so they're all there for the same reason and it's a cool community atmosphere. You should have fun, but make sure to set your alarm properly. I overslept the morning after the 360 launch and wound up rocking up for work the next day nearly an hour late. Wouldn't have been too bad except I was the only one rostered on for the first hour and it was launch day for the 360.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Casull posted:

Hey Dodgeball, remember when you said your first post was going to hopefully be your last?

Congratulations, you are now one of us. :haw:

Content: Man, they sliced our hours pretty drat badly. All the full-timers are down to part-time hours, and a part-timer like me is down to roughly 18 hours this week. I'm slightly worried I won't meet the minimum for health insurance :ohdear:

This just happened to me, I'm down from ~37/week to around 24. I've responded by applying for a position at the company-owned shop in the city rather than the franchised shithole-within-a-shithole I work at now, as has my best buddy in the store. :3:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

alreadybeen posted:

I don't know how you guys deal with this stuff.

Alcohol helps.

Good on you for complaining though. Maybe if enough people let the fuckers know how bad it is they'll stop.

My company's just introduced a $33 charge for doing a loving SIM replacement if you've lost your prepaid phone. For something that can take as little as twenty seconds.

I don't know what the gently caress.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Megera posted:

Obviously the lady was impatient, but with the holidays coming up, I'd like to ask my manager, if things aren't in fact organized in a specific way, if I could have a shift where they just let me organize things in the drawers because goddamn nothing makes sense.

Be prepared for disappointment when your coworkers gently caress up your hard work within a week.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

So one of the more enterprising guys at work threw our rear end in a top hat area manager's name into Google the other day and came up with a surprise. rear end in a top hat is in fact a failed professional footballer whose only notable performances are being unconscious for most of a state league grand final and for being punched by Gary Ablett.

If you're not familiar with the AFL, this is Gary Ablett:

And he punched my douchebag of an area manager so hard he needed 18 stitches.

The world feels a little bit brighter tonight.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

froglet posted:

I must admit, the law is pretty retro.
The rules broke down as such:
- Supermarkets/retail stores were to be closed by 6pm and are only to be open Monday to Saturday (unless in a 'tourism precinct')
- Local grocery cooperatives were allowed to remain open until 10pm (and are normally open 7am - 9pm)
- No Sunday trading except for 'tourism precincts' and certain times of the year, or if the shop wants to pay its employees time and a half.

This is just what I gathered from observation/working at supermarkets. The only places open 24/7 are McDonalds and a handful of small businesses with a licence to trade any time they like.

Western Australia?

Got a call today from a recruitment lady at the company that owns my shop. She's seen my resume on a jobhunting website and wanted to know if I'd prefer to work at the Mac-focused shop in town instead of the lovely place I work at now that's a while out of my way. Said yes, ball is now rolling and I'm interviewing for it on Monday. :toot:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

invision posted:

Today:

old lady: "Hi I'd like to get a new phone, and I have an upgrade, blah blah"
me: "Awesome, lets get you a phone picked out!"
~45 minutes later, logging into her account
CUSTOMER NOT ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE
old lady: "oh well okay lol bye!!!"

:suicide:

I loving hate that. I try to always check the account before getting cracking on finding poo poo out from the customer now, it prevents crap like that or the customer not actually having authority for the account they want to make changes on, plus you can (hopefully) get more solid answers out of the system than you can from the customer.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

One of my poo poo coworkers got fired today. :toot:

Unfortunately it was after getting into a fight with our assistant manager by the other new guy, who hated his guts and is a massive kissass so will probably be smug as gently caress for the next few weeks. drat it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

:whoptc:

That is completely reprehensible. Please smash him for this, that rear end in a top hat doesn't deserve his job.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

My loving area manager.

The shithead tried to stop me from applying a credit to a customer's account today to fix a mistake someone else in our store made because he didn't see 'why I should pay for it'.

Look, gently caress-knuckle. If you want to avoid having to pay for poo poo like this, hire intelligent staff, train them well and pay them enough to care.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Raere posted:

If a customer stomps in and starts off their speech with "My name is...", it can only end badly. I learned this the hard way the other day.

I like it when they tell me their name while I'm calling up a search in our customer database. No, random lady, your name isn't going to help me. If only our company had given you a unique ten digit number to identify you! Oh wait, we did - it's your loving phone number.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Katyiah posted:

I'm yet another goon who isn't allowed to disclose where they work legally, but it's a fairly high end clothing store in Australia.

Big W? :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

We had two of our casuals quit today. One's moving on and starting uni and doing great things. The other just hated it so much that she's moving interstate to get anything she can.

That means we're now down to six employees total, of which four of us are proper floor staff, and only three of us are competent. All three of us are also applying for something else. Apparently our recruitment team will quite happily do some recruiting for us if our managers give up their budgets for the month, which they're not doing. So the grand plan to fill the three vacancies we have is a sign on the counter.

We are so hosed. I'm interviewing in a call center on Thursday, I hope to Christ I can hand in my notice on Thursday afternoon.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I got another job! Gave notice at my lovely retail hellhole and this time next week it'll be my last day. Would have preferred to take a week off but I felt sorry for the manager leaving him with three staff.

It feels awesome. This week I'm going to refuse to take poo poo from anyone and answer questions with brutal honesty.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

BigDave posted:

Promise me you'll answer a dumb question with "Because gently caress you, that's why".

This time next week I aim to have good news for you.

I've already pointed out to one idiot that getting their PUK code wrong ten straight times and killing their SIM was a but dumb and told another that it's not her phone's fault she managed to subscribe to Babe Video of the Week. I'm also having a major crackdown on swearing and racism, it's really fun.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

TShields posted:

Yeah, I'm REALLY trying to get out of retail. I just spent two hours browsing job postings and didn't find jack poo poo that I was qualified for. I feel like too many jobs these days are looking for people with absurd amounts of experience for seemingly low level jobs. But I did mail out my application for one of the NC Judicial Branch jobs that I want, so we'll see how that goes! Posting ends Feb 2, so at least I shouldn't be in suspense too long.

Christ, I feel for you dude. Have you looked at call centers? They tend to have low requirements and the work's pretty easy if a bit monotonous.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

So today we have two floor staff today from a potential group of four thanks to everyone else being clever and quitting. Two managers two, one of whom knows absolutely nothing about we're doing. We're supposed to have eight staff total. We are SO hosed.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

The General posted:

I predict at least one writeup and a talking to the other one about keeping pace. I also suspect one manager will do everything away from people, despite multiple requests to do so from everybody.

I wish I could believe they'd have a religious experience and hire more people.

Haha, not even that. We had a fairly steady stream of customers all day and me and the other rep smashed out around $1,300 worth of sales each, which is a VERY good individual result and pushed me up to 2nd for the month behind the other guy for the month. No writeups (we don't do those anyway, the manager's pretty lazy). A couple of fuckwit customers, one of whom the sales manager wound up telling to leave after he had a very loud flare up at the counter to the general amusement of the rest of the customers.

The other guy on with me today also had enough time to do a phone interview for the call centre I'm going to. He has a physical interview tomorrow and if everything goes well he'll be starting with me on Monday. So they'll be losing their top two performers simultaneously and dropping down to two managers, one guy who knows what he's doing and so gets stuck on tech support for old people instead of making sales, one fuckwit and a newbie. Good loving luck, guys!

Also the managers found out today that payroll hosed up their pay for the past two months so they're having their bonus for this month withheld. So I guess there's some consolation that it's not just the floor staff getting hosed over.

Four days to go! :toot:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Accidentally called a middle-aged guy 'dude' today after he fired up at me over some minor thing. He had a go at me for doing it so I said 'sorry bro' and walked off. He left.

Treat em mean to keep em keen. :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

On a similar note, a smelly old man came in today and got asked by one of our guys if we could help him. The old man replied that the guy's tits weren't big enough to help him and asked what happened to the lovely young girls in our shop?

He wound up getting assigned to me and getting some extremely cold technical support. oval office.

I also wound up getting a dose of acoustic shock after a phone I was doing a test call on dropped the call then blared its SMS alert tone into my ear. It's nobody's fault but gently caress my ear hurt afterwards. Got sent home to go to the doctor by our sales manager though, she's a bit of a champion.