Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Electronics:

Please do not tell me that you know what you are looking for if you don't. Please do not stand awkwardly in my store for a half hour staring at the cables fending off all attempts to help. Please do not purchase a random cable, return it a half hour later, and repeat the process.

No, we don't carry Verizon. Why? I don't know. I really don't know why. It's not like I'm hiding a secret stash of Verizon phones from you. I would love to take your money and sell you a Verizon phone.

Yes, the fact that the carriers almost always charge more for upgrade contracts than for new contracts sucks. I, however, am a lowly sales associate. I do not get to change handset prices for you because you ask me to. No, the manager can't help you either. Sorry. Switch carriers every two years if you want the best handset pricing.

Speaking of which, AT&T did not promise you a free iPhone. We will not price match the voice in your head telling you to lie to the sales monkey.

Customer: I want to buy an Xbox 360.
Me: I am sorry, sir, we're out of stock of that right now. If you'd like, I--
Customer: No, you're not! I see one right there! *points at empty display box*
Me: That's just a display. We don't have any Xboxes in stock at this--
Customer: I demand you sell me that one right there.

----

Customer: Can you help me swap my Sprint phones around?
Me: Sure, I just need your phone number and the PIN on your account.
Customer: PIN? I ain't never had no PIN.
Me: Alright, then, I'll just need the name of your first pet.
Customer: Ain't never had no pets neither.

----

My weirdest customer ever is a man who claims he was arrested and put in jail for 10 years for smuggling rare spiders into the country from Brazil. He smells like a bar, and calls himself "Spider-Man". He comes in every now and then to pay his Boost Mobile bill, and he has been drunker and drunker every time. He scares the female associates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

Yesterday someone ordered 10 bottles of prune juice, 3 enemas, toilet paper, and an air freshener.

I was a worker drone for CVS Pharmacy for a year and this was essentially every day for me.

I got used to people putting the weirdest combinations of poo poo after awhile - the only funny customers became the ironic combinations. My favorite was a mid-20s guy who bought a box of condoms, a 12 pack of beer, a pregnancy test, and a paternity test.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I worked from 4:30 to 3 on Black Friday at RadioShack.

We were scheduled to open the doors at 5:30, but around 5:20 we noticed that all of my co-workers had shown up, the store was priced, clean, signs all up... and it was 25 degrees outside with a line of 10ish people, so we opened the doors about 10 minutes early. Predictably, the best deals (a $179 netbook, $349 notebook) sold out instantly. A customer showed up at about 5:30 and said "WHERE'S ALL THE NETBOOKS? YOU GUYS OPENED EARLY I DESERVE A NETBOOK YOU NEED TO GO FIND ONE FOR ME." We had two of that $179 netbook in stock. The first two customers bought them. It took me five minutes to convince the lady that she had absolutely no chance to get one regardless of when we opened.

Also:

Customer: I want a cell phone upgrade! It's been something like FOUR YEARS since I last got one!

Me: Well, let's go ahead and check your eligibility.
*sign onto account*
Last upgrade: 10/11/2010
Phone model: iPhone 4

Me: It says here you last upgraded in October to an iPhone 4. You aren't eligible for an upgrade for 2 more years.

Customer: That is SUCH BULLSHIT I pay AT&T $200 a month I deserve a new phone whenever I want a new phone I've been such a good customer for them I always pay my bill on time I've had them for TWENTY YEARS and they're going to lose me as a customer if they don't let me upgrade RIGHT NOW

Me: What kind of a phone do you have?

Customer: *shows me iPhone 4*

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Duck_King posted:

How did you respond? I mean, did you calmly explain to him that you are incapable of time travel?

I let him vent his anger and told him that he had to wait like everybody else to get a new phone. He didn't take that kindly, and said that he was going to go call AT&T and complain about my manners. I pity the poor AT&T phone jockey that caught his phone call.

invision posted:

Dude, we still have people asking about that loving netbook.

The best part is the really snotty customers in the last couple days that have been demanding that I substitute something else for the sale netbook at the same price.

Customer: Do you have any of those netbooks on sale from your ad left?

Me: No, I'm sorry, we ran out on Black Friday.

Customer: Oh, well, can you give me something else for the same price? Like... that computer? *points at $700 HP notebook*

Me: I apologize, but we can't do any substitutions.

Customer: Go get your manager. I'm sure he'll let me buy that computer for the sale price.

My manager comes out, and says to the customer,

Manager: Are you insane?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

invision posted:

P.S. how am i supposed to upsell phone acessories to people when we dont even carry them? Like, we sell the Kyocera Loft, but we don't have any cases or anything for it. We have 180000 blackberry cases, but if you have anything else, you're hosed.

It gets better, man - We're expected now to sell an average of $11 in accessories on a prepaid phone. Who is going to buy $11 in accessories on a $14.99 Tracfone? Postpaid is a minimum of $16, so now instead of being lazy and selling clearance poo poo, we have to actually try. A lot of stores are now doing this trick to make their attaches look better:

1) Sell phone to customer who wants no accessories whatsoever.
2) On the same ticket, attach a $99 bluetooth (or $24.99 car charger, whatever)
3) Pay for the bluetooth in cash, charge customer whatever the phone normally costs.
4) Refund the bluetooth a few tickets later. Notice that even after refunding the accessory, it doesn't come off the accessory attach reports so it looks like your store did great that day.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

My district manager visited today and demanded that I sell a post-paid cell phone during the hour and a half he was there or I would be written up. I sold an 84 year old woman a 2 year contract at $40 a month when she'll probably barely use it. :smithicide: I hope she returns it.

I asked the DM, "What happens, then, if no customers walk in the door in the next hour and a half? It's happened before in this store."

His response? "Doesn't matter. Sell a postpaid while I'm here or you're getting written up."

Thank gently caress I have a job interview next week to work IT at a school district.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

The woman returned the phone I sold her, thankfully. My district manager didn't care, though, because there is a new obsession:

Corporate lately has been trying a one-size-fits-all approach with the stores. They're mandating that all stores, regardless of volume, sell 1 post-paid cell phone unit per day. Some stores clear this fairly easily, but my store struggles because we are extremely low volume. We've been scraping by at about 1 1/4 units per day on average - so a few bad days can really wipe us out.

The logical question for some may be "Well, what if my store has a great day and sells 7 units in one day? Are we covered for the week, then, since we'll average 1 per day?"

My district manager's answer is, naturally, "No. You have to sell 1 unit per day regardless of how well you did the previous day. Going two days with 0 units gets everybody written up." Not just the people that worked those two days - everybody. Why? I have no idea. This is a new district manager, and I guess he's trying to impose a reign of terror so that corporate thinks he's doing something.

I did have a :unsmith: moment today - one of my regular customers called the regional office with a compliment for me after I walked him through the basics of his new Android phone. Sometimes, customers can be humans too...

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Another day, another inane district manager visit. But this one has an extra of discrimination! Yay!

As a bit of background, I'm fairly well fluent in American Sign Language. This week we have the HTC EVO 4G on sale, which has a front-facing video camera. A lot of Deaf people quite like the Evo so they can use video relay calling over their phone, or call their Deaf friends using Qik or something similar. Today, I was talking to a Deaf customer in ASL while the DM watched me.

DM: What are they doing? *points to the customer and I*

My manager: The customer is Deaf. Ulysses can talk to him in sign language.

DM: They should be speaking English. All sales associates should speak English on the sales floor.

My manager: ...the customer is Deaf. He can't speak English. He can sign. So can Ulysses. Don't we encourage bilingual associates?

DM: Tell him to speak English. The customer lives in America. He has to speak English.

The customer notices my manager and the DM talking about something and asked me to interpret if I could. I gave him the part of it I heard (my boss filled me in later), and the customer was pretty pissed off at the DM. He bought the phone from me, and on his way out he grabbed a post-it note and a pen, wrote "You're an idiot. I can't speak English." on it and handed it to the DM.

Needless to say, the DM was fairly pissed off that I told the Deaf guy what he was saying. I got written up :v:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

THE SHACK is a never-ending source of misery.

My store is in a fairly affluent area (read: full of rich white people). I am a straight white male, therefore the racists of this community will often tell me how much they hate Mexicans and Vietnamese people. One of my co-workers is Vietnamese, so occasionally we'll end up with scenarios like this:

Me: *helping another customer*

Racist: *walks in*

Vietnamese co-worker: Hi, how can I help you today?

Racist: Oh, uh, can the other gentleman in here help me?

Vietnamese co-worker: Sure, he's busy but he'll be right with you.

Racist, to me: I'm glad you were here. I just don't trust people like that boy.

I genuinely feel bad for him because there are more than a few people who shop at my store that flat out WILL NOT buy anything from him, and THE SHACK is heavily sales goal-oriented and we're commissioned, so losing sales always sucks.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I got royally reamed by my DM today at work for daring to recommend a prepaid cell phone to somebody who couldn't afford $75 a month for a contract phone. Sorry, Mr. DM, I have a conscience, if a $25 a month Virgin Mobile phone meets the customer's needs, I'm not going to sell them something that will cost them 3 times as much over two years. I guess that invalidates the fact that I alone have sold more contracts this month than the entire store did last December. :smith:

Only eleven days left until my job interview. Only eleven days left until my job interview. If I get that job, I'll be moving to the "A ticket came in..." thread for my bitching. Hooray!

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I am sitting here at work, pulling an open to close shift, and I have had six tickets. In four hours. Why the gently caress is my store even open today? There are quite literally no other stores in this shopping center open today. It is just RadioShack. :smith:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

Please, somebody, kill me now.

RadioShack operates kiosks in malls and Targets. I'm being moved from my store where I'm the most experienced salesman to a kiosk in a Target, since "the kiosks badly need help". So.. we'll screw my store in the short-term by punching a big hole in the schedule since they just lost a keyholder, and I get screwed through a 5 times longer commute for zero extra pay. YES!

They don't know I have an interview on Tuesday, but I have to report to work at Target on Monday.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

TShields posted:

Nope. Work at a major pharmacy chain. I think my manager is trying to whittle away my sanity to nothing until I leave. It's working.

I think I used to work for the same company you do. All this bullshit sounds mighty familiar :smith:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

My store is near a CVS Pharmacy, and the shopping center we're in is near a high school. Today I heard from outside "STOP! STOP WHERE YOU ARE!" and a 16, maybe 17 year old kid ran past my store, tripped, and dropped both of the massive cases of beer he was trying to steal from CVS, spilling beer all over the sidewalk. He got away, but the CVS employees looked at the HUGE mess of cans on the sidewalk and said to me, "Want some beer?"

Thank god the district manager didn't stop by that day because the minifridge in my store had 25 cans of Tecate and that would have been awfully difficult to explain!

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I put my two weeks in at RadioShack on Monday. I seriously can't motivate myself to actually work these next two weeks, since I know I'll be out of this hellhole in 5 more shifts.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

TShields posted:

I was a Manager-in-Training with RadioShack for a while. I really enjoyed the job until the economy fell apart! Before that, it wasn't uncommon for me to get $400 in commission a week. And good loving lord, Black Friday? I think I had $8000 in sales, easily. Ahh, the good old days...

You must have had a better DM than I do - that guy makes this place absolutely miserable to work for, even though the money is pretty good otherwise.

On that note, the DM called me not 5 minutes ago and told me that if I didn't reconsider leaving he would terminate me. :psyduck:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

TShields posted:

My paycheck for last week came in at $257 after taxes and insurance. That was for about 36 hours of work or so.

And you guys don't understand- Every week I apply for almost anything I'm qualified for in the first 15-20 pages of the Indeed.com email I get every few days. That's about an hour/hour and a half a day before or after work. In the past month or so, just what I can remember off the top of my head- basic administrative positions, mail room, clerical, entry level U-Haul/public storage management, 3 different shifts of specimen accessioners for LabCorp, entry-level tech support for a half dozen companies, data entry, loving Waste Management garbage truck dispatcher for two different shifts, a slew of local government jobs, multiple bank teller positions for various branches/companies, and yes, I've applied at Best Buy and Target on multiple occasions. My resume is right there- other than moving from lovely retail job to lovely retail job, I look loving fantastic on paper, and it's not like I'm asking for much. I never get contacted back. Ever. When I call and inquire about a job (assuming they have someone listed to inquire to), I'm always told that they'll have to get back to me, then nothing. I'm not annoying on the phone- people tell me my voice is so deep and soothing that I should be a radio DJ, but they want loving experience too. I've networked, I've called in every favor I have. My credit is solid- in the low to mid 700's. My background check is squeaky clean. There is no loving reason that this should be so hard..

You mentioned that you worked at RadioShack - have you tried applying to a cell phone carrier? Yeah, it's sales, but the pay is a LOT better and, at least with T-Mobile, the benefits ROCK compared to what I'm used to at normal lovely retail jobs.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

My DM fired me today with a week to go before I start at T-Mobile :v:

edit:

Rohaq posted:

Did they give you a reason? Not a bad result, in any case :)

He called me when I was at work this morning and asked if I had reconsidered quitting (I had put my 2 weeks in on Monday), and I told him that I was not going to reconsider quitting. His next words were, "Go home, you're fired." I hung up, threw my co-worker my keys to the store, and left. Went next door to CVS, bought a case of beer, and now I am at home, at 12 PM on a Sunday drinking beer in my underwear :smug:

A COMPUTER GUY fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 24, 2011

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

My district manager called me to 'apologize' today. Someone (read: my former boss) raised a stink to the regional management that I was fired and apparently got the DM into a big pile of trouble. He asked me if I wanted to come back to work for my last couple days and I told him to gently caress off. :feelsgood:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I start at T-Mobile tomorrow! I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories again. For $12 an hour base, though, I can handle a lot more stupidity.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I started at T-Mobile yesterday. The euphoric "new job" high still hasn't worn off but I can already say that the training is retarded.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I hate customers.

Phone rings, and I pick it up.

"Thanks for calling T-Mobile blah blah blah blah blah my name is Ulysses, how may I help you?"

"Are y'all AT&T?

:suicide:

This happens twenty times a day.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

PHoly poo poo am I glad to work for T-Mobile and not in a department store any more. I spent a couple weeks at a Target cell phone kiosk when I worked for RadioShack and just being in one for eight hours a day was hellish, and I didn't even have to deal with most of the customers.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I spent an hour being lectured by a Sovereign Citizen on how cell phone taxes are unconstitutional and how he has the right to request a full refund on every dollar of tax he's paid on his T-Mobile account for the past 8 years because his name on the bill (ROBERT P. JOHNSON) is the incorporated entity that the government created for him and he is, of course, a free man named Robert P. Johnson and is under the direct control of no government or God and T-Mobile is merely a pawn in the grand scheme of the government to scam $1.41 per customer per month to fund secret missions to undermine the legitimacy of the Sovereign Citizen movement and :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I cannot stand that the cell phone industry has managed to implant the idea of FREE EVERYTHING into people's heads. My first five customers today came in and demanded free phones because they have been with T-Mobile for 2 years and that means they are entitled to a free phone. No, we have no free phones. The cheapest phone we have is $9.99. People actually threaten to cancel and go to AT&T or Verizon unless I give them a free phone. I would love to respond with something like "Fine, go cancel - enjoy paying $40 per month more to save $10 on your phone."